Pat Summerall has passed away

CANHawk

Reaction score
RIP Pat. To this day his voice does the play by play in my head when I think about football. The guy was the gold standard.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
When I think of watching NFL football growing up, it's always Pete Gross for the Hawks, and Pat Summerall and John Madden for everyone else. Nothing but good memories though....RIP Pat.

penihawk

Reaction score
I remember him as a kid when he was partners with Tom Brookshire. He was the best and had one of the great voices of all time. Would love to here him call "Nuthin Doin" for our 2013 defense just one time. He will be missed indeed.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
I grew up on him nationally. His best calls were like "Aikmen...Novicheck....Touchdown". 3 words is all he'd use and it painted the picture more often than not. He would ask Madden simple questions yet Madden would go into detail or show what he meant with the tellastraitor(however you spell it). It was like an institution. If you heard Madden and Summerall you knew it was a big game. When I used to play Madden on Playstation back in 2000 or whatever he was the voice in the game. I just now found out he was a player and a pretty fine one too. I never knew that until he died. As I'm getting older and seeing all these guys I grew up on passing away its getting strange I guess.

Reaction score
Fun bit of trivia, I learned yesterday on his Wiki page....his name wasn't really Pat...it was George. The reason he got the nickname Pat was because when he was a kicker in the NFL, the boxscore would read: PAT Summerall. So somebody started calling him that and it stuck. :)

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Not to dispute what was on wiki, in the Dallas News this am:

"George Allen Summerall was born in rural central Florida on May 10, 1930, after his parents had divorced. He was taken in and raised bby an aunt and uncle. They had a son named Mike.

"In those days, people liked to tell ethnic jokes, " Summerall told The News in 1997. "Invariably when they got around to Irish jokes, the characters would be Pat and Mike. My aunt and uncle just started calling me Pat to go with their Mike."