How close have you been to the NFL? (offseason time waster)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

How close to the NFL are you / football experience

(Mere mortal) Just a fan. Nothing more
45%
Played High School Ball
30%
Played College Ball
7%
NFL player (on a roster at all - even if you never made the 53)
4%
I have a friend/family member in the NFL
15%

Total votes : 221

• No real point to this, I was just curious what the composition of our community is, as far as football experience. Also list connections you have to the NFL (family members, friends, etc).

For me it would be "mere mortal (just a fan)" - but I have a (very stupid) connection. Wife is friends with the wife of a guy who just got the job as assistant special teams coach with the Jags. So, I am married to a friend of a wife of a coach, whose boss is a former defensive coordinator for the Seahawks. I said it was stupid, but hey.

I regret not trying out for my high school team sometimes. I thought I was too small, but they had a running back that was shorter than me, so I was just being dumb.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have several ex-college players here, and maybe some lurking Seahawks players will fess up :)
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

• Got a buddy on the Texans practice squad. We are all hoping he can make the team full time this year. We really were hoping he would get a look up here in Seattle but he is doing well in Houston.
    Brahn
    NET Veteran

• My neighbor, from when I was a little kid until about 16 when I eventually moved, was a starting guard for Virginia Tech, then got picked up by the Packers as an UDFA. He ended up getting hurt, and released, I believe. His name is Jaymes Brooks. Dude is humungous. I also went to high school with Antoine Bethea, but he was more my brother's friend than mine, because I was 2 years behind him.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• I had a friend, two actually, that were in the NFL. Both out of the league now.
    RobBaker7714409
    NET Rookie

• I was a high school QB, got sacked 6 times in one game by a dude that had a cup of coffee in the NFL. He went to UW as an offensive linemen then bounced around practice squads and the lower part of team rosters for a few years. Can't remember his name, Whitfield, or Whitman, or something like that.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I have visited NFL HQ on Park Ave, but couldn't get into the office to complain about XL.

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

• I used to work with someone who is related somehow to Mack Strong's wife. He attends some of their family get togethers and she said he is really a good guy.
    dbmack
    NET Starter

• My closest connection was my high school English teacher was Mac Bledsoe, Drew's dad. Drew didn't go to my school, but his brother Adam did, and he was the star QB as a senior when I was a freshman, so I never actually met him.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• My high school History teacher was Art Kuehn who played center for the Hawks from 76-83. Thats the closest for me.
    “The best way to gain more yards is advance the ball down the field from the line of scrimmage.” John Madden
    AZHawkfan
    NET Bench Warmer

• I'm a high school football player now and I think I'm gonna be able to go play college ball so my nfl dream is still alive
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• My step father was a Barber, he used to cut Drew Bledsoe's hair when he came in to town (Ballard) to visit his family. He signed a football for me a long time ago, but I can't find it...I think my step father sold it on ebay damn him!
    The 12th Commandment:

THOU SHALL STAY LOUD N PROUD! GO HAWKS!
    12thMode
    NET Starter

• My husband (who tries to be as pretty as me but isn't) plays for some team in New England or New Hampshire. One of those states. Don't ask me what he does out there. It's so barbaric.
    Dreadbelch
    NET Rookie

• One of my buddies from high school was Cory Procter. He was drafted by the Lions and also played for Dallas.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• I played little league baseball with Randall Cobb and highschool football. His parents were my parents childhood best friends so when he comes to town we hang out sometimes. Also. When Peyton was qb for Tennessee they had to do community service to be on the team and Peyton worked at the boys and girls club that my mom was the manager of. When he comes to town sometimes he invites our family to dinner....its a littlw weird though because hes a grown man but still calls my mom "miss Linda".
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter

• Dreadbelch wrote:My husband (who tries to be as pretty as me but isn't) plays for some team in New England or New Hampshire. One of those states. Don't ask me what he does out there. It's so barbaric.

Nominated for official :187734: POTD
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• I went to Junior High and High School with Brock Huard and Dane Looker. I was always JV while they were a year ahead of me. What was so cool about Brock was he was always a great role model. He was never into clicks and always took time to say hi to youngsters like myself.
    "I don't know why anyone thinks the NFL is going to start the season with a rematch of one of the most lopsided Super Bowls of all-time.

They want a competitive game, not an ass-pounding." --- Broncos Fan
    smashmouth59
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I once jammed with Eugene Robinson. He was on sax, I play bass, there were about 7 - 8 musicians there. I didn't realize it was him. I just remember thinking, "Dang, that sax player looks like he's in really good shape!" Afterward, we were introduced. When I shook his hand, it felt like granite. Then I heard his name, and things made more sense.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• My grandpa works with John Carlson's uncle. So my brother and I got personalized autographs from him. Also my moms friend, name is Chuck Butler played for the Hawks in 1984 as a linebacker.
    Sandpoint Hawk
    NET Starter

• I once took a trip to Vegas with Hass, his brother and sister in law, and Big Walt. Boy could i tell you some stories.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Just a fan here. I was a ****up in high school, so I never played.

No super close, current connections. But I was pretty friendly with Doug Jolley in the 90's. We went to high school together.

A college friend of mine, that i had a major crush on, married John Tait. Ya, I couldn't compete with that shit.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I'm curious about the 5 that voted NFL roster :o

But anyway, I'm just a mere mortal :(
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• I once exchanged Facebook messages with Jake Locker. Does that count?

My Dad tells me he used to know a guy who was a backup QB for the Vikings (started a few games in the 70s before washing out), but I can't recall the guy's name...

That's about it, I think. Just a huge fan.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• I played football against Teyo Johnson in my earlier high school years. My brother was good friends with him since their flag football years. He eventually went to Stanford and got drafted by the faiders.

Oh and I also got to play football against Grady Sizemore too, didn't know him though
    Last edited by AF_Hawk on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• well guess I'm just a mortal. But if the LFL existed back in my day, I wouldn't have wasted 30 years in one softball league or another.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• I played for a very brief period in high school and it was a big mistake. Having a genetic connective tissue disorder is not conducive to surviving contact sports.

The first time I took a low hit my knee hyperextended and my knee-cap completely dislocated and stuck out of place. It was miserable, and it wasn't even a hard hit. I've just always been stubborn and didn't want to let the disease stop me from living life, like so many in my family with the condition have.

Needless to say, one low hit and my nfl dreams were crushed.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• All of u are talking about people you knew in the nfl, but did any of you actually play football yourselves at any organized level
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• Mere mortal. Although I was good friends with Eric Colledge and remember when he had to babysit his nephew, Daryn Colledge. :D
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Played high school ball, but also family friends with Charles Haley. His brother Lawrence use to work with my dad so we would go over to his moms house occasionally and Charles would sometimes be there. When I played rec ball actually got to toss the ball around with him once or twice. Haven't seen em in awhile though
    D1sorder
    NET Bench Warmer

• My dad's former roommate and the best man in his wedding is a current Seahawks position coach (and former player) and they still keep in touch. That's opened the door to some cool Seahawks experiences. As for my family and myself, we are just mere mortals.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• -- My home room teacher in High School was Terry Summerfield. An undrafted rookie QB who was signed by the Hawks the same year the Hawks signed Sean Salisbury as a rookie free agent. Great guy. We called him Summerstud because he had gotten a sniff of the pros.

Mase
    Mase
    NET Veteran

• My daughter spent the night at her friend's a couple of weeks ago, and it turns out her older brother is the punter for Tampa Bay.

Saw Drew Bledsoe play in high school for Wa-Hi. Everyone knew then he'd be good. Dude had an arm.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• I was in India with a night club singer named Wilhelmina "Willie" Scott and a twelve-year-old boy named Short Round. Long story short, we end up in a small distressed village, where the people believe that evil spirits have taken all their children away after a sacred precious stone was stolen! I also discovered the great mysterious terror surrounding a booby-trapped temple known as the Temple of Doom! The Thuggee cult is beginning to attempt to rise once more, believing that with the power of all five Sankara stones they can rule the world! Now, it's all up to me to put an end to the Thuggee campaign, rescue the lost children, win the girl and conquer the Temple of Doom. Leader of the cult? Zeke Mowatt.
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• I, mere mortal. I went to high school with MKristo Bruce, huge douche. He played for wsu, practice squad on the panthers, short stint in the AFL and last I heard he's a car salesman. So the story goes anyway
    TeeHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Hawk Strap wrote:I was in India with a night club singer named Wilhelmina "Willie" Scott and a twelve-year-old boy named Short Round. Long story short, we end up in a small distressed village, where the people believe that evil spirits have taken all their children away after a sacred precious stone was stolen! I also discovered the great mysterious terror surrounding a booby-trapped temple known as the Temple of Doom! The Thuggee cult is beginning to attempt to rise once more, believing that with the power of all five Sankara stones they can rule the world! Now, it's all up to me to put an end to the Thuggee campaign, rescue the lost children, win the girl and conquer the Temple of Doom. Leader of the cult? Zeke Mowatt.

I dunno if I buy that...
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• I played high school ball, miss it so much. I would love to just be able to put on pads for one practice. Intramural flag football just isn't the same.

The closest connection I have is going to elementary school with Courtney Jones, the daughter of San Francisco's tight end Brent Jones during their SB years. Really cool girl and the family was extremely nice as well.
    Alkasquawlik
    NET Bench Warmer

• JSeahawks wrote:I was a high school QB, got sacked 6 times in one game by a dude that had a cup of coffee in the NFL. He went to UW as an offensive linemen then bounced around practice squads and the lower part of team rosters for a few years. Can't remember his name, Whitfield, or Whitman, or something like that.

So Im guessing you werent as allusive as Russell in the pocket? Were you more of a Charlie back there?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• played high school football and got knocked out the in the playoffs by the team that ended up getting 2nd place in Texas 4A.

In this game though i got to block the #5 ranked defensive end in all of America. I was a left tackle and after seeing how fast, big , and strong he was i realized that college probably wasn't for me :(
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• I used to work with a guy claiming to be Kellen Moore's wife's uncle(The last names match up and the stories sounded real enough). He also claimed to be either friends with Bevel or his brother in law. Don't quite remember which. (Stories and things I've heard also sound authentic.)
    JGreen79
    NET Starter

• Played some football in high school, was never any good though.

I also went to high school with Jonathan Stewart. We all called him "Snoop" back then.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I asked Walter Jones, via Twitter, if he was going to come back & be an assistant line coach in Seattle. He replied, "You never know" Pretty much made my day.

Playing football in England somewhat limits your NFL expectations. Still, I had a fun few years dreaming.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• I played basketball against James Donaldson in college who went on to play quite a number of years for the Dallas Mavericks......................oh wait, wrong sport. Doh! :34853_doh:

Played TE and DT in high school but obviously excelled far more at hoops (small college ball for 4 years).
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• This post.

This is the closest I have got to the NFL.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

• I played powder puff in high school does that count? :mrgreen:

Oh yeah...I went on a blind date with a guy who used to play in the NFL though I can't recall which team. He had quit playing pro ball when his daughter was born and his wife left him for wanting to spend more time with the family instead of making the big bucks. He was a nice guy, but he was also the size of my fridge and dwarfed me.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• My band Soulfish played a couple tunes with Craig Terrill at the Seahawkers banquet, probably 5 years back. Also, my Dad is good friends w/Lloyd Trufant, since way way back.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• In 2011 I spent my vacations with my family in Rio de Janeiro, grandmather's house. So I went to the samba schools parade at Sapucaí. So, during the event, I saw Tom Brady And Gisele in the private place, just for 2 minutes Hahaha
    ---
    Cirmman
    NET Practice Squad

• Got to play catch with Largent and Zorn back in the early 80's at a friends family bbq. Work with a guy who was on the practice squad with the Cowboys in the 70's, got a call up to the roster and blew out his knee during training camp, was never the same after. Went to school with Chris Chandler in Everett, he was 4 yrs ahead of me so senior when I was a frosh. I remember he was one of the nicer jocks at the school, always had a kind word for everyone, his younger bro was pretty cool as well. I also worked with a guy in Louisianna years back in a sales job, shadowed him for training for 2 weeks. He played for Green Bay for a few years as the #3 behind Favre. Guy was nice enough, but had a terrible gambling habit that had netted him a lost house and family when it was all said and done, kinda sad.
    Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Played in High School, played and successfully blocked Curt Marsh when he was at Snohomish, I was a WR and the block opened a hole fior a 40 yd run. Jerry McClain was also on that team and a running back named Chris Utt. Those Snohomish teams were perrenial State Champs or in the hunt back then. Curt as many know had a pretty good NFL career McClain was picked up by the Rams but never really made it from my understanding.

Oh I made the block and Marsh being only around the high 280's I'm guessing flattened me and dislocated my finger, my block was more of getting in the way of a semi truck with a Volkswagon Beetle, I got in his way to slow him down for the RB to grab the corner and go. I was 5'4' and about 120 back then, really small for my age. Got lots of Kudos in film on Monday from the game and a lot of good natured ribbing as well.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I played college football (Guard) And I coach a High School team.
    HawkEye
    NET Rookie

• Me and 2 friends took the ride from NYC to Philly for the epic Monday Night game against the Eagles in 2005. Philly fans are no joke. I remember that when the Seahawks scored a TD on the opening drive (think it was Hass to Engram), me and my friends got up and started cheering. The entire section of fans got up and started SCREAMING at us to "sit the F down!" The exact quote I'll always remember was "I don't know where you **** think you are but it definitely ain't Seattle!" That did not deter us though and by half time, with the game already out of reach, Eagles fans were coming up to us congratulating us as they headed to an early exit. We crushed their spirits that night and it was beautiful. Most fans stayed for Reggie White's induction into the Eagles Hall of Fame at halftime but by the 2nd have it was a ghost town. With all the snow falling and what not it was pretty surreal. Best quote is a drunken Eagles fan looking up at the sky and saying "sorry you had to witness this Reggie. We love you!" as his friend helps walk him down the stairs and to the exit haha

Anyway, my brush with the NFL came afterwards. On the train ride back me and my friends were riding across from Marquis Weeks' (former practice squad RB) mother and his brothers. They were talking to us about getting to meet some of the other players parents, specifically made note of the fact that Isaiah Kacyvenski's dad was a great person, and wanted my friend to make one of the t-shirts he had on (my friend made "Seahawks jerseys" out of plain white tee's. Did all the artwork and made it look almost identical to the real jerseys. They were pretty sick actually and Weeks' mom wanted one). I was so caught up in the conversation that we missed our stop. Little did we know that the next stop was deep in the hood in Philly. One of Weeks' brothers told us to watch out because some other guys that had been sitting by us on the train had a knife on them. We were about to miss our Greyhound bus back to NYC since we missed our stop, but Weeks' mother called Greyhound trying to get them to wait for just a few minutes, since we were going to take a cab.

Then, some guy who is with his girlfriend comes over and tells us that he's actually calling a cab service now and he'd order two cabs. As we're waiting, he notices my Seahawks gear and says "you a big Seahawks fan?" I said yeah and then he started trying to quiz me on the team. "Who was the running back before Shaun Alexander?", some pretty basic stuff. Then he asked me if I knew who that woman I was talking to was and I said yeah, Marquis Weeks' mom. He seemed impressed and then told me that he was Bill Chapin, director of marketing at the time for the Hawks. We ended up having a really good chat about the Hawks and life in general. He left the Hawks to work for the Sounders a few years ago in the same role, but now he's working in Kansas City with a pretty sick job title. VP of Operations maybe? Either way, he was a pretty cool dude and I'm glad that success has found him. He did say that if I ever needed help getting an internship with the Hawks or anything like that that he'd help me out. Guess it's too late now though. Still, it was a great experience. To make matters even better, when the first cab arrived he and his girlfriend insisted that we take the cab because we were going to be late for our bus. We still were and ended up sleeping in a crappy Philly Greyhound station over night with a bunch of methheads but hey, that's life sometimes. It was worth it getting to talk to all these people. No regrets.

I've also got a friend who I went to Wazzu with who worked in community outreach for the Hawks. Has a ton of pictures from training camp and events with a bunch of Hawks players. Really cool girl and some of the pictures are fantastic. She got hired by the Ravens prior to last season and has pictures with the Lombardi trophy, all of the Ravens, at the parade, etc. Talk about living a charmed existance! Some people just have magnetic laps. She's one of the good ones though so it's pretty cool to see.

That's it for me though. Unless someday I'm the one with the magnetic lap and get to replace Tony Ventrella when he hangs up the mic. Until then, it's .Net for life!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Played on my 9th grade team.

I did go to high school with Jason Scukanec, now a radio host here in Portland. His NFL stint was pretty short due to injuries I guess. I wouldn't say I knew him well though, we had a few classes together.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Next

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information