Oregon infractions

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Surprised J hasn't created a thread on this yet.

http://www.katu.com/sports/ducks/NCAA-d ... 35931.html

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... committed/

Looks like the Ducks and the NCAA are arguing about the severity of violations revolving around Lyles and the impermissible contact he made with recruits. Seems like the argument leans more in the Ducks favor due to the fact that:

One of the more significant takeaways from the released documents is that the NCAA’s enforcement staff made “no finding of lack of institutional control and no finding of unethical conduct.

Sounds to me like it's going to be fall before punishment is assessed. Oregon is proposing 2 years probation and 3 years of scholarship loss. Hard to tell what the NCAA is going to do here in response.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea, I didnt start a thread just cuz its the same exact thing we've been hearing for 3 years, nothing new. At this point i'm just pissed at the NCAA for taking so long. They've already effected 3 recruiting cycles. Just give us our damn punishment and get it over with. My guess is a loss of some scholarships and some recruiting restrictions (like less official visits and less in home visits). I don't think it will be a bowl ban, but who knows, its basically whatever the NCAA feels like on that particular day.

I dont think our mistakes are nearly as bad as North Carolina, who fixed grades, enrolled their players in make believe classes that didnt exist, and really cheated academically. And North Carolina basically got no punishment. But, we shall see. I just want it over.

The one thing that stood out to me was the comment in the NCAAs findings: "There was no finding of any unethical conduct." If there was nothing unethical, what the hell have they been talking about for the last 3 years?

sc85sis

Reaction score
My favorite part was the oxymoronic bit about it not being intentional but they won't say it was inadvertent. Huh?

Subzero717

Reaction score
JSeahawks":707ow2sl said:
I dont think our mistakes are nearly as bad as North Carolina, who fixed grades, enrolled their players in make believe classes that didnt exist, and really cheated academically. And North Carolina basically got no punishment. But, we shall see. I just want it over.

You're a Pac-12 school silly. You aren't a school in the south. Let alone SEC. The world isn't fair. Ask USC and that is not a biased opinion.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3b07v705 said:
JSeahawks":3b07v705 said:

You're a Pac-12 school silly. You aren't a school in the south. Let alone SEC. The world isn't fair. Ask USC and that is not a biased opinion.

Oh, I completely agree. Especially with the head of the NCAA investigation and punishment committee being from University of WAshington (the school that probably has the most to gain recruiting wise if the Ducks get hammered). Nothing would surprise me. But, my gut says it won't be too bad. And i'm not gonna lie, the Nike influence doesnt hurt either. I dont think the NCAA wants to piss off Phil Knight too badly. The words not intentional and not unethical in teh NCAA rulings are what have me encouraged.

If we do get a bowl ban it will suck, and i'll be surprised, but i won't cry or be upset about it. Whatever happens happens i guess.

sc85sis

Reaction score
There's part of me that wants to see everyone of these schools get slammed, just because it's so unfair what happened to USC. On the other hand, I'd like the NCAA to pretty much crash and burn.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1bq2mtsu said:
Hope they punish the Ducks worse than USC got it :)

It doesnt sound like they will. I believe USC was found guilty of Lack of Institutional Control? I'm sure SC85SIS can correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe thats the case. Oregon was not found guilty of that. And that's a big one.

Whether it was fair to USC or not is a whole different argument. I dont know a ton about USC's case but it seems like they were pretty much screwed when you look at their wrong doings and punishment compared to Ohio State, Auburn, North Carolina and some other institutions.

The problem is that nobody's overlooking the NCAA. If they wake up one morning and decide to give Oregon the death penalty, they could. Or, they could decide taht putting them through the ringer for 3 years and hurting 3 recruiting cycles is enough and thats all they get. Its completely up to them and they could literally do anything. Kinda BS either way.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
I'm sure Oregon is squeaky clean compared to Auburn. If Oregon gets hammered I would be shocked. Oregon will get a slap on the wrist. Auburn will get what Ohio State got, maybe slightly more severe but it will take 2 or 3 years before its official.

Latest posts