The Cost of Quinn? Pretty Much Nothing

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Ahhh, the MIGHTY Quinn... I now understand the significance of the move.

From Wiki... The subject of the song is the arrival of the mighty (Brady) Quinn (an Eskimo), who changes despair into joy and chaos into rest, and attracts attention from the animals (the 12th Man).

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
I'll go out there and sit on a bench for 100K. I'm sure if needed I could manage taking a knee and / or giving the ball to beastmode.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1vz7rf2c said:
I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

If that's the case...then apparently he is just not that talented, because he hasn't exactly tilted the league.

Before the whining starts, I get it - he's just a #2. I think he will do better in our system, I'm just curious why all of a sudden he's reknown for his commitment. I even read in a thread recently that he likes to hit the film room and get going early "like Russell Wilson".

I think people are referencing a statement made by his former coach, now coach again Carl Smith.

“Still, he was on a team. He was practicing,” Smith said. “And if Brady is on a team, he’s working. He’s working on his game. He’s doing what they’re telling him to do; trying to find a better way.”

In addition to that work ethic, Quinn brings other characteristics that will blend well with what is going to be his fourth NFL team in seven seasons – second in the past two seasons, and third in the past three. Especially Wilson, who played beyond expectations after being selected in the third round of last year’s NFL Draft.

“Brady is a worker and really an intense competitor,” Smith said. “He’s also a good teammate. There will be no problems for Brady Quinn. He’s going to try and be as good as he can and he’s going to try and help the players around him.

“That’s just who he is.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...Seahawks/5e1c08cd-8f56-49f6-afc8-f3336270ee41

He said things in addition to this but I'm pretty sure this is where people are getting the information...I could be wrong.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Jim Zorn also highlighted his work ethic on Brock Huard's radio show. Zorn was Brady's QB coach in KC.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I remember reading about Quinn when he came into the league. Basically, he was such a workout warrior, his coach at the time told him to slim down as he got so yoked from lifting weights, the coaching staff thought his arms were too big to have a fluid throwing motion. If that is a nod to his work ethic, then it's been there all along.

If he's faster than anyone thought, then he could ostensibly run the read option. Hell, he's big enough at 6-3 and 235. And from what I just read in the above link, he's smart enough to move protections, audible, and put guys in the right position. Who knows, maybe with some talent, he won't look half bad if we ever do need him.

Either way, it sounds satisfactory to me.

SE174

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":17rapoch said:
I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

If that's the case...then apparently he is just not that talented, because he hasn't exactly tilted the league.

Before the whining starts, I get it - he's just a #2. I think he will do better in our system, I'm just curious why all of a sudden he's reknown for his commitment. I even read in a thread recently that he likes to hit the film room and get going early "like Russell Wilson".
Came from Jim Zorn, who was his QB coach in KC.

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=9954647&p=3&n=

SE174

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jn5si29n said:
Jim Zorn also highlighted his work ethic on Brock Huard's radio show. Zorn was Brady's QB coach in KC.
Perhaps I should read threads through first. Meh.

SE174

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":kovpvexp said:
Brady Quinn is the brother-in-law of Green Bay Packers LB A.J. Hawk. Hawk is married to Quinn's older sister, Laura. Might make for some interesting family get-togethers. Perhaps the Seahawks should put a bug in his phone + further measures just to make certain Quinn is "All In" for the right team. Just kidding, of course. Sort of. A little off-topic here, but... the Green Bay hate for the Seahawks probably started long before the 2012 MNF game... probably the Holmgren departure to Seattle and was further ignited on this night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9Z_eoWOmY That's a fun clip to watch. Enter Green Bay backup QB at 9:35.

I just noticed and watched that on YT the other day... great stuff. Funny seeing Hass with hair.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Wonder if Brady is related to Dan Quinn?

In all seriousness, I've always wished Brady the best. Watching him endure the ^*&%$ media at the draft was more than uncomfortable. Now his dream will be realized (if his dream was to hand the ball to Robert Turbin).

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The Glass Half Full:

The FO has colored Quinn as a smart QB with a solid intangibles and a strong work ethic with familiarity with QB coach, Carl Smith. But upon the numbers research, it was obvious to note, that the Seahawks are attracted to his recent experience compared to the other QBs as well as his youth, size, athleticism and rare strength for the QB position. In Comparison,

Brady Quinn: 28 years old, 6-3 ½ , 235 pounds, 20 starts in 5 years. 8 in 2012.
10 Yrd Dash 1.62s… 20 Yrd Dash: 2.75s… 40 Yrd Dash: 4.73s… Vertical Jump: 36 in Broad Jump: 9'7"… 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22s… 3-Cone Drill: 6.79s… Bench Press: 24 reps

Tyler Thigpen: 29 years old, 6-1 ¾, 218 pounds, 1 start in 5 years. 0 in 2012.
10 Yrd Dash 1.65s… 20 Yrd Dash: 2.78s… 40 Yrd Dash: 4.78… Vertical Jump: 29 in Broad Jump: 8'9"… 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.40s… 3-Cone Drill: 7.11s… Bench Press: n/a

Matt Lienhart 29 Years old, 6’4 ¾, 225 pounds, 2 starts in 5 years. 0 in 2012.
40 Yrd Dash: 4.90… Vertical Jump: 37 Broad Jump 9’5”

Seneca Wallace, 32 years old, 5’11, 205 pounds, 17 starts in 5 years. 0 in 2012.
10 Yrd Dash 1.62s… 20 Yrd Dash: 2.67s… 40 Yrd Dash: 4.56s… Vertical Jump: 38 in Broad Jump: 10’07”… 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.14s… 3-Cone Drill: 6.98s… Bench Press: n/a

Matt Flynn, 27 years old, 6’2 ¼, 225 pounds. 2 starts in 5 years. 0 in 2012.
10 Yrd Dash 1.62s… 20 Yrd Dash: 2.71s… 40 Yrd Dash: 4.79s… Vertical Jump: 28 in Broad Jump: 9’01”… 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.34s… 3-Cone Drill: 7.21s… Bench Press: n/a

Even adding Matt Flynn to the try-out bunch, Quinn not only has the most recent experience vs today’s NFL, he also measures out as one of the biggest, and most athletic of the group with youth still on his side. Adding to his image as a workout warrior, the kid did 24 reps in the bench press… that’s better than a lot of linebackers and kind of the starting point of where you see weaker linemen at.

Also, remember Seneca Wallace’s numbers were measured a decade ago with him being 196 pounds. Flynn actually had impressive numbers considering he was 6’2, 231 coming out.

Also, in comparison, is Quinn the better replacement for Flynn. Honestly, who knows who the better QB is of the two? But Quinn is significantly cheaper and will most likely have to compete and produce at a solid level to make this roster. Also, I would grade by the numbers that Quinn is a tad bit more athletic Flynn as well as bigger and stronger. While Quinn might not be as consistent in the short to intermediate game like Flynn is… Quinn has a stronger arm with a more consistent deep ball with enough athleticism to fit very well into what the Seahawks want to do on Offense at least last year.
Also, I’m going to assume no other QB other than Leinhart in the Boldin/Fitz days had as many weapons as the Seahawks do on offense.

In conclusion, I don’t think the drop-off from Flynn to Quinn will be anything substantial… in the positive vein, there is improvement in experience, athleticism, and arm strength at the back-up position but a likely loss in accuracy and overall decision making.