The Cost of Quinn? Pretty Much Nothing

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
The Cost of Quinn? Pretty Much Nothing
Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:45 am
  • Via Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre on Twitter

Brady Quinn's 1-yr deal with the #Seahawks is worth $780k. $715k base, $65k signing bonus (only part guaranteed). $620k cap hit.

I am not sure if Quinn ends up being the #2 guy here in Seattle, but if he doesn't work out, it is really easy on the wallet to show him the door.
    Twitter: @NWSeahawk
    impacthawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Man I wish someone can give me 600k and have it easy on their pocket.
    nfcwizard
    NET Bench Warmer

• nfcwizard wrote:Man I wish someone can give me 600k and have it easy on their pocket.

LOL, ya know it is all relative......sadly, it sounds like your relatives are as poor as mine!
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Chump change. Grossed more than that last year running a one-man automotive performance restoration business. Didn't net nearly that much, but hey, the landlord and the US government have to eat too, right?

A bargain price for a player that will serve a clear purpose both on the practice field and insuring the uniform-washing people have enough to do after the games.
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• I don't doubt Quinn will make the 53. His work ethic fits in perfectly with Pete's design. He will be valuable in multiple area's including setting an example of how every level of player is expected to prepare and work for the goal.

Hopefully he never sees a meaningful snap but if called upon, this system is designed to make his job as easy as any in the league and if he is prepared like they say he will be, he will be ready. Remember, Pete made guys like Leinart look like superstars. He can get the best out of Quinn.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

If that's the case...then apparently he is just not that talented, because he hasn't exactly tilted the league.

Before the whining starts, I get it - he's just a #2. I think he will do better in our system, I'm just curious why all of a sudden he's reknown for his commitment. I even read in a thread recently that he likes to hit the film room and get going early "like Russell Wilson".
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

If that's the case...then apparently he is just not that talented, because he hasn't exactly tilted the league.

Before the whining starts, I get it - he's just a #2. I think he will do better in our system, I'm just curious why all of a sudden he's reknown for his commitment. I even read in a thread recently that he likes to hit the film room and get going early "like Russell Wilson".

I don't think Quinn's ever been accused of having a poor work ethic. It could be that his work ethic is why he looked great in college. It's just that perhaps the talent just isn't there enough for him to be an NFL starter, regardless of his work ethic... but it could be enough to be a guy who can support the starter and be a viable backup for a few games when necessary.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• If Quinn has fully accepted being a backup QB he could be a good one if his reported work ethic is accurate.

A guy who knows he's a backup and tries his best to master that role is what's best for the position. I realize there is the sentiment of "why would a true competitor be happy being on the bench?"

well, being a #2 NFL qb means you're one of the 64 more talented players at the most important and difficult position in sports, in the world. Embrace it or go play in Canada.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• It's coming from his ex-coaches who have all commented on his work ethic in the film room and weight room. Yeah, he's bounced around but don't forget that Romeo took a second shot with him at KC and our QB coach also coached him in Cleveland. The knock against him is that he lacks accuracy, but as you mentioned, he's played on solely crappy teams.

I'm loving the cap number. SF is paying like four times more for McCoy. Seattle is getting great value IMO, even if he's just coming to compete.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Thought this was about Dan Quinn. Too many Quinn's. Was wondering why they would only give him one year.

Now that I know it's about Brady, it's nowhere near as exciting. Brady Quinn sounds like the perfect Jim Sorgi to Russell's Peyton Manning. Never touch the field, say all the right things, "get after it", "2nd pair of eyes on the sideline", etc. It really is a dream job though, think about it. You get to take a few reps in practice, only get hit in the preseason, have the best "seat" in the house on the sideline, interact with a legendary QB in the making. I'm actually surprised they didn't start a reality TV-show about it called "The Backup." Lord knows this board would watch it if it's an hour of TV dedicated to the pursuit of the Seahawks backup QB job.

Not to jack the thread but is there a better situation to walk in to then Dan Quinn's? You literally could not ask for more to help you have immediate and sustainable success.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

I don't think Quinn's ever been accused of having a poor work ethic. It could be that his work ethic is why he looked great in college. It's just that perhaps the talent just isn't there enough for him to be an NFL starter, regardless of his work ethic... but it could be enough to be a guy who can support the starter and be a viable backup for a few games when necessary.

I'm not saying that he has a poor ethic...I'm more interested in knowing why it's being touted so much now. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to him in Cleveland, Denver and Kansas City. I'm always weary of group think, especially online...where a label or idea takes off and is mass perpetuated as gospel.

I think this system and environment, and especially the coaches, will be much better for him. Here's hoping... of course, I'm also hoping he only sees the field in pre-season and garbage time.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• The knock on Brady has always been that he is inaccurate as a passer and low arm strength. Work ethic, football smarts, physique etc. all A grade.

volsunghawk wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

My Tapatalk for Ipad is bigger than yours. Size matters.
    MeanBlueGreen
    NET Veteran

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

I'm not saying that he has a poor ethic...I'm more interested in knowing why it's being touted so much now. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to him in Cleveland, Denver and Kansas City. I'm always weary of group think, especially online...where a label or idea takes off and is mass perpetuated as gospel.

I think this system and environment, and especially the coaches, will be much better for him. Here's hoping... of course, I'm also hoping he only sees the field in pre-season and garbage time.

My guess is that it's being touted now because it's one of the positives about Quinn that can be corroborated by his past colleagues/coaches. Obviously, there's not a strong record of stellar play at the NFL level that can be highlighted by people wanting to talk about the Quinn signing, so other things have to be noted. Notice that Quinn's press conference after Jovan Belcher's murder/suicide also have received mention.

And in the end, that's probably the best approach. Quinn's coming here to serve as a team player, a positive influence, and a stopgap if things go bad for a few games. So I guess that people are talking about the elements that will serve him in that role - his work ethic (i.e., preparedness), his dedication to the team, etc. Perhaps those things are being highlighted to draw a subtle distinction between Quinn and Flynn.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Brady Quinn is the brother-in-law of Green Bay Packers LB A.J. Hawk. Hawk is married to Quinn's older sister, Laura. Might make for some interesting family get-togethers. Perhaps the Seahawks should put a bug in his phone + further measures just to make certain Quinn is "All In" for the right team. Just kidding, of course. Sort of. A little off-topic here, but... the Green Bay hate for the Seahawks probably started long before the 2012 MNF game... probably the Holmgren departure to Seattle and was further ignited on this night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9Z_eoWOmY That's a fun clip to watch. Enter Green Bay backup QB at 9:35.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

• NYCoug wrote:Not to jack the thread but is there a better situation to walk in to then Dan Quinn's? You literally could not ask for more to help you have immediate and sustainable success.

Not really, it will be a difficult job to improve upon the defense fielded last year, then he has to face criticisms of "it's Bradley's defense" if it goes right and "he messed up" if it went wrong.

It's much easier to go to somewhere where the only way is up rather than somewhere where the only way is down
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Brady Quinn should play the entire pre-season game 3 @ Lambeau
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

• Quinn's 1 year contract IMO means the Seahawks will for sure pick a QB in the draft, maybe higher than many people think (perhaps rounds 3 or 4?).
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:Not to jack the thread but is there a better situation to walk in to then Dan Quinn's? You literally could not ask for more to help you have immediate and sustainable success.

Not really, it will be a difficult job to improve upon the defense fielded last year, then he has to face criticisms of "it's Bradley's defense" if it goes right and "he messed up" if it went wrong.

It's much easier to go to somewhere where the only way is up rather than somewhere where the only way is down

He will succeed in Seattle. Failure is not an option. I'm of the mind that Gus Bradley's departure will be looked back upon as addition by subtraction when it's all said and done. :179422:
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• TeamoftheCentury wrote:Brady Quinn is the brother-in-law of Green Bay Packers LB A.J. Hawk. Hawk is married to Quinn's older sister, Laura. Might make for some interesting family get-togethers. Perhaps the Seahawks should put a bug in his phone + further measures just to make certain Quinn is "All In" for the right team. Just kidding, of course. Sort of. A little off-topic here, but... the Green Bay hate for the Seahawks probably started long before the 2012 MNF game... probably the Holmgren departure to Seattle and was further ignited on this night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9Z_eoWOmY That's a fun clip to watch. Enter Green Bay backup QB at 9:35.

Quinn's sister is also hot!
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Re: The Cost of Quinn? Pretty Much Nothing
Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:49 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

I think it is a money / situation perspective on it as well.

He signed his original contract at about $20 million / 5 years

He signed the KC contract at about $1.5 million if my google search is reliable

We are signing him at $650k-$750k

So Browns let a $4million per year supposed starter go. KC is cleaning house which is part of it and maybe they did offer to resign him at $700k but he doesn't want to keep being a part of loosing organizations.

Denver doesn't count because of Tebow

He has good work ethic but lacks some skills that makes him (hopefully) a good backup for the right amount of money. Maybe we won't want to let him go either for the next 10 years as long as nobody bids $1million for him
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:15 am
  • Ahhh, the MIGHTY Quinn... I now understand the significance of the move.

From Wiki... The subject of the song is the arrival of the mighty (Brady) Quinn (an Eskimo), who changes despair into joy and chaos into rest, and attracts attention from the animals (the 12th Man).
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 am
  • I'll go out there and sit on a bench for 100K. I'm sure if needed I could manage taking a knee and / or giving the ball to beastmode.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:29 am

I think people are referencing a statement made by his former coach, now coach again Carl Smith.

“Still, he was on a team. He was practicing,” Smith said. “And if Brady is on a team, he’s working. He’s working on his game. He’s doing what they’re telling him to do; trying to find a better way.”

In addition to that work ethic, Quinn brings other characteristics that will blend well with what is going to be his fourth NFL team in seven seasons – second in the past two seasons, and third in the past three. Especially Wilson, who played beyond expectations after being selected in the third round of last year’s NFL Draft.

“Brady is a worker and really an intense competitor,” Smith said. “He’s also a good teammate. There will be no problems for Brady Quinn. He’s going to try and be as good as he can and he’s going to try and help the players around him.

“That’s just who he is.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Brady-Quinns-smarts-attracted-Seahawks/5e1c08cd-8f56-49f6-afc8-f3336270ee41

He said things in addition to this but I'm pretty sure this is where people are getting the information...I could be wrong.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:38 am
  • Jim Zorn also highlighted his work ethic on Brock Huard's radio show. Zorn was Brady's QB coach in KC.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 am
  • I remember reading about Quinn when he came into the league. Basically, he was such a workout warrior, his coach at the time told him to slim down as he got so yoked from lifting weights, the coaching staff thought his arms were too big to have a fluid throwing motion. If that is a nod to his work ethic, then it's been there all along.

If he's faster than anyone thought, then he could ostensibly run the read option. Hell, he's big enough at 6-3 and 235. And from what I just read in the above link, he's smart enough to move protections, audible, and put guys in the right position. Who knows, maybe with some talent, he won't look half bad if we ever do need him.

Either way, it sounds satisfactory to me.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Came from Jim Zorn, who was his QB coach in KC.

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=9954647&p=3&n=
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:Jim Zorn also highlighted his work ethic on Brock Huard's radio show. Zorn was Brady's QB coach in KC.

Perhaps I should read threads through first. Meh.
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• TeamoftheCentury wrote:Brady Quinn is the brother-in-law of Green Bay Packers LB A.J. Hawk. Hawk is married to Quinn's older sister, Laura. Might make for some interesting family get-togethers. Perhaps the Seahawks should put a bug in his phone + further measures just to make certain Quinn is "All In" for the right team. Just kidding, of course. Sort of. A little off-topic here, but... the Green Bay hate for the Seahawks probably started long before the 2012 MNF game... probably the Holmgren departure to Seattle and was further ignited on this night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9Z_eoWOmY That's a fun clip to watch. Enter Green Bay backup QB at 9:35.

I just noticed and watched that on YT the other day... great stuff. Funny seeing Hass with hair.
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• Wonder if Brady is related to Dan Quinn?

In all seriousness, I've always wished Brady the best. Watching him endure the ^*&%$ media at the draft was more than uncomfortable. Now his dream will be realized (if his dream was to hand the ball to Robert Turbin).
    Having your views challenged is a lot more healthy than simply jabbering on with people who think exactly the same way as you.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:06 pm
  • The Glass Half Full:

The FO has colored Quinn as a smart QB with a solid intangibles and a strong work ethic with familiarity with QB coach, Carl Smith. But upon the numbers research, it was obvious to note, that the Seahawks are attracted to his recent experience compared to the other QBs as well as his youth, size, athleticism and rare strength for the QB position. In Comparison,

Brady Quinn: 28 years old, 6-3 ½ , 235 pounds, 20 starts in 5 years. 8 in 2012.
    10 Yrd Dash 1.62s… 20 Yrd Dash: 2.75s… 40 Yrd Dash: 4.73s… Vertical Jump: 36 in Broad Jump: 9'7"… 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22s… 3-Cone Drill: 6.79s… Bench Press: 24 reps

Tyler Thigpen: 29 years old, 6-1 ¾, 218 pounds, 1 start in 5 years. 0 in 2012.
    10 Yrd Dash 1.65s… 20 Yrd Dash: 2.78s… 40 Yrd Dash: 4.78… Vertical Jump: 29 in Broad Jump: 8'9"… 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.40s… 3-Cone Drill: 7.11s… Bench Press: n/a

Matt Lienhart 29 Years old, 6’4 ¾, 225 pounds, 2 starts in 5 years. 0 in 2012.
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.90… Vertical Jump: 37 Broad Jump 9’5”

Seneca Wallace, 32 years old, 5’11, 205 pounds, 17 starts in 5 years. 0 in 2012.
    10 Yrd Dash 1.62s… 20 Yrd Dash: 2.67s… 40 Yrd Dash: 4.56s… Vertical Jump: 38 in Broad Jump: 10’07”… 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.14s… 3-Cone Drill: 6.98s… Bench Press: n/a

Matt Flynn, 27 years old, 6’2 ¼, 225 pounds. 2 starts in 5 years. 0 in 2012.
    10 Yrd Dash 1.62s… 20 Yrd Dash: 2.71s… 40 Yrd Dash: 4.79s… Vertical Jump: 28 in Broad Jump: 9’01”… 20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.34s… 3-Cone Drill: 7.21s… Bench Press: n/a

Even adding Matt Flynn to the try-out bunch, Quinn not only has the most recent experience vs today’s NFL, he also measures out as one of the biggest, and most athletic of the group with youth still on his side. Adding to his image as a workout warrior, the kid did 24 reps in the bench press… that’s better than a lot of linebackers and kind of the starting point of where you see weaker linemen at.

Also, remember Seneca Wallace’s numbers were measured a decade ago with him being 196 pounds. Flynn actually had impressive numbers considering he was 6’2, 231 coming out.

Also, in comparison, is Quinn the better replacement for Flynn. Honestly, who knows who the better QB is of the two? But Quinn is significantly cheaper and will most likely have to compete and produce at a solid level to make this roster. Also, I would grade by the numbers that Quinn is a tad bit more athletic Flynn as well as bigger and stronger. While Quinn might not be as consistent in the short to intermediate game like Flynn is… Quinn has a stronger arm with a more consistent deep ball with enough athleticism to fit very well into what the Seahawks want to do on Offense at least last year.
    Also, I’m going to assume no other QB other than Leinhart in the Boldin/Fitz days had as many weapons as the Seahawks do on offense.

In conclusion, I don’t think the drop-off from Flynn to Quinn will be anything substantial… in the positive vein, there is improvement in experience, athleticism, and arm strength at the back-up position but a likely loss in accuracy and overall decision making.
    #11 is the Gatling Gun, coming at Ds in multiple, unpredictable ways spreading the field horizontally.

#10 is the Sniper Rifle, if you don't respect his deep field speed opposing DBs will end up in a pink mist.

#24 is the Boomstick, get in his way when you're the lone defender, I dare you.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information