The Cost of Quinn? Pretty Much Nothing

impacthawk

Reaction score
Via Brian McIntyre ‏@brian_mcintyre on Twitter

Brady Quinn's 1-yr deal with the #Seahawks is worth $780k. $715k base, $65k signing bonus (only part guaranteed). $620k cap hit.

I am not sure if Quinn ends up being the #2 guy here in Seattle, but if he doesn't work out, it is really easy on the wallet to show him the door.

nfcwizard

Reaction score
Man I wish someone can give me 600k and have it easy on their pocket.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
nfcwizard":dn4twvj8 said:
Man I wish someone can give me 600k and have it easy on their pocket.

LOL, ya know it is all relative......sadly, it sounds like your relatives are as poor as mine!

A

Anonymous

Chump change. Grossed more than that last year running a one-man automotive performance restoration business. Didn't net nearly that much, but hey, the landlord and the US government have to eat too, right?

A bargain price for a player that will serve a clear purpose both on the practice field and insuring the uniform-washing people have enough to do after the games.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I don't doubt Quinn will make the 53. His work ethic fits in perfectly with Pete's design. He will be valuable in multiple area's including setting an example of how every level of player is expected to prepare and work for the goal.

Hopefully he never sees a meaningful snap but if called upon, this system is designed to make his job as easy as any in the league and if he is prepared like they say he will be, he will be ready. Remember, Pete made guys like Leinart look like superstars. He can get the best out of Quinn.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

If that's the case...then apparently he is just not that talented, because he hasn't exactly tilted the league.

Before the whining starts, I get it - he's just a #2. I think he will do better in our system, I'm just curious why all of a sudden he's reknown for his commitment. I even read in a thread recently that he likes to hit the film room and get going early "like Russell Wilson".

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":34tr962t said:
I keep reading about Brady Quinn's suddenly infamous work ethic. Where is that coming from? Teams usually would not be so easy to let go of those types of players.

If that's the case...then apparently he is just not that talented, because he hasn't exactly tilted the league.

Before the whining starts, I get it - he's just a #2. I think he will do better in our system, I'm just curious why all of a sudden he's reknown for his commitment. I even read in a thread recently that he likes to hit the film room and get going early "like Russell Wilson".

I don't think Quinn's ever been accused of having a poor work ethic. It could be that his work ethic is why he looked great in college. It's just that perhaps the talent just isn't there enough for him to be an NFL starter, regardless of his work ethic... but it could be enough to be a guy who can support the starter and be a viable backup for a few games when necessary.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If Quinn has fully accepted being a backup QB he could be a good one if his reported work ethic is accurate.

A guy who knows he's a backup and tries his best to master that role is what's best for the position. I realize there is the sentiment of "why would a true competitor be happy being on the bench?"

well, being a #2 NFL qb means you're one of the 64 more talented players at the most important and difficult position in sports, in the world. Embrace it or go play in Canada.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's coming from his ex-coaches who have all commented on his work ethic in the film room and weight room. Yeah, he's bounced around but don't forget that Romeo took a second shot with him at KC and our QB coach also coached him in Cleveland. The knock against him is that he lacks accuracy, but as you mentioned, he's played on solely crappy teams.

I'm loving the cap number. SF is paying like four times more for McCoy. Seattle is getting great value IMO, even if he's just coming to compete.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Thought this was about Dan Quinn. Too many Quinn's. Was wondering why they would only give him one year.

Now that I know it's about Brady, it's nowhere near as exciting. Brady Quinn sounds like the perfect Jim Sorgi to Russell's Peyton Manning. Never touch the field, say all the right things, "get after it", "2nd pair of eyes on the sideline", etc. It really is a dream job though, think about it. You get to take a few reps in practice, only get hit in the preseason, have the best "seat" in the house on the sideline, interact with a legendary QB in the making. I'm actually surprised they didn't start a reality TV-show about it called "The Backup." Lord knows this board would watch it if it's an hour of TV dedicated to the pursuit of the Seahawks backup QB job.

Not to jack the thread but is there a better situation to walk in to then Dan Quinn's? You literally could not ask for more to help you have immediate and sustainable success.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1k4hu812 said:
FlyingGreg":1k4hu812 said:

I don't think Quinn's ever been accused of having a poor work ethic. It could be that his work ethic is why he looked great in college. It's just that perhaps the talent just isn't there enough for him to be an NFL starter, regardless of his work ethic... but it could be enough to be a guy who can support the starter and be a viable backup for a few games when necessary.

I'm not saying that he has a poor ethic...I'm more interested in knowing why it's being touted so much now. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to him in Cleveland, Denver and Kansas City. I'm always weary of group think, especially online...where a label or idea takes off and is mass perpetuated as gospel.

I think this system and environment, and especially the coaches, will be much better for him. Here's hoping... of course, I'm also hoping he only sees the field in pre-season and garbage time.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
The knock on Brady has always been that he is inaccurate as a passer and low arm strength. Work ethic, football smarts, physique etc. all A grade.

volsunghawk":3owzf5rh said:
FlyingGreg":3owzf5rh said:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2htrbp63 said:
volsunghawk":2htrbp63 said:
FlyingGreg":2htrbp63 said:

I'm not saying that he has a poor ethic...I'm more interested in knowing why it's being touted so much now. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to him in Cleveland, Denver and Kansas City. I'm always weary of group think, especially online...where a label or idea takes off and is mass perpetuated as gospel.

I think this system and environment, and especially the coaches, will be much better for him. Here's hoping... of course, I'm also hoping he only sees the field in pre-season and garbage time.

My guess is that it's being touted now because it's one of the positives about Quinn that can be corroborated by his past colleagues/coaches. Obviously, there's not a strong record of stellar play at the NFL level that can be highlighted by people wanting to talk about the Quinn signing, so other things have to be noted. Notice that Quinn's press conference after Jovan Belcher's murder/suicide also have received mention.

And in the end, that's probably the best approach. Quinn's coming here to serve as a team player, a positive influence, and a stopgap if things go bad for a few games. So I guess that people are talking about the elements that will serve him in that role - his work ethic (i.e., preparedness), his dedication to the team, etc. Perhaps those things are being highlighted to draw a subtle distinction between Quinn and Flynn.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Brady Quinn is the brother-in-law of Green Bay Packers LB A.J. Hawk. Hawk is married to Quinn's older sister, Laura. Might make for some interesting family get-togethers. Perhaps the Seahawks should put a bug in his phone + further measures just to make certain Quinn is "All In" for the right team. Just kidding, of course. Sort of. A little off-topic here, but... the Green Bay hate for the Seahawks probably started long before the 2012 MNF game... probably the Holmgren departure to Seattle and was further ignited on this night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9Z_eoWOmY That's a fun clip to watch. Enter Green Bay backup QB at 9:35.

themunn

Reaction score
NYCoug":1whf5pos said:
Not to jack the thread but is there a better situation to walk in to then Dan Quinn's? You literally could not ask for more to help you have immediate and sustainable success.

Not really, it will be a difficult job to improve upon the defense fielded last year, then he has to face criticisms of "it's Bradley's defense" if it goes right and "he messed up" if it went wrong.

It's much easier to go to somewhere where the only way is up rather than somewhere where the only way is down

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Quinn's 1 year contract IMO means the Seahawks will for sure pick a QB in the draft, maybe higher than many people think (perhaps rounds 3 or 4?).

NYCoug

Reaction score
themunn":1b4u18ie said:
NYCoug":1b4u18ie said:

Not really, it will be a difficult job to improve upon the defense fielded last year, then he has to face criticisms of "it's Bradley's defense" if it goes right and "he messed up" if it went wrong.

It's much easier to go to somewhere where the only way is up rather than somewhere where the only way is down

He will succeed in Seattle. Failure is not an option. I'm of the mind that Gus Bradley's departure will be looked back upon as addition by subtraction when it's all said and done. :179422:

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":25cc016t said:
Brady Quinn is the brother-in-law of Green Bay Packers LB A.J. Hawk. Hawk is married to Quinn's older sister, Laura. Might make for some interesting family get-togethers. Perhaps the Seahawks should put a bug in his phone + further measures just to make certain Quinn is "All In" for the right team. Just kidding, of course. Sort of. A little off-topic here, but... the Green Bay hate for the Seahawks probably started long before the 2012 MNF game... probably the Holmgren departure to Seattle and was further ignited on this night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9Z_eoWOmY That's a fun clip to watch. Enter Green Bay backup QB at 9:35.

Quinn's sister is also hot!

mikeak

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":289bybpv said:

I think it is a money / situation perspective on it as well.

He signed his original contract at about $20 million / 5 years

He signed the KC contract at about $1.5 million if my google search is reliable

We are signing him at $650k-$750k

So Browns let a $4million per year supposed starter go. KC is cleaning house which is part of it and maybe they did offer to resign him at $700k but he doesn't want to keep being a part of loosing organizations.

Denver doesn't count because of Tebow

He has good work ethic but lacks some skills that makes him (hopefully) a good backup for the right amount of money. Maybe we won't want to let him go either for the next 10 years as long as nobody bids $1million for him