the long stick..

jack_patera

Reaction score
for all you golfers all there, what's all the hub-bub about the long putter, or whatever it's called...watching adam scott use it and i don't see an 'unfair' advantage...

dunceface

Reaction score
yeah it hasnt exactly panned out for him today haha

aaaaaaaand its stupid looking :dummy:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
yeah I'm pretty sure it's just dumb. it's all mental. just putt. who cares.

drdiags

Reaction score
Helps calm the hands down. That and the belly putter seems more mental than advantage but as a crap putter, anything that can help relax my hands and wrists I would go for.

Tical21

Reaction score
Yes, it helps the wrist, but it also eliminates the most difficult part of putting, which is keeping the putter on it's intended path. With a belly or long putter, you basically only need to worry about the speed. Your anchor automatically keeps the putter on line. Legal cheating IMO, but I'm a guy who still putts with a bullseye, even though I would be a better putter with something else.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":1lyb0400 said:
Yes, it helps the wrist, but it also eliminates the most difficult part of putting, which is keeping the putter on it's intended path. With a belly or long putter, you basically only need to worry about the speed. Your anchor automatically keeps the putter on line. Legal cheating IMO, but I'm a guy who still putts with a bullseye, even though I would be a better putter with something else.

When you lack certainty about a putt, the first thing that goes is a couple degrees of open face on the follow through of the putt. Leaves you short and wide usually. The belly putter attempts to take the hands out of the equation, and the hands are where the open comes from.

Golf is science, putting is voodoo. My best rounds are not when I am striking, they are when I am putting well.

Personally, I am highly opposed to the long putter.

cdallan

Reaction score
Only bad putters tended to resort to this. Langer I think has used it for many years, because he suffered for a while from the "yips". Over here we called it the Broom handle putter, and Scottish golfer Sam Torrance was using it what feels like 20 years ago.

Although it can seem like an advantage, they are apparently very much more difficult to control in windy conditions. So overall it might not be that much of an advantage.