Premature Analysis: 2013 Breakout Team?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Premature Analysis: 2013 Breakout Team?
Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 am
  • Yeah, like everything I do, this is premature. But, its what I do. What team do you think will take a huge leap in 2013?

I got two; the Browns and the Chargers. The Browns have had the talent for a few years now. Weeden, although being English's highest-rated QB in last years draft, is still a question mark. But, I think he can throw it enough to carve out some wins.

The Chargers have a good/great defense last year, its the offense that struggled. I think McCoy will certainly make their offense better...he made a Tebow offense work. Plus, that division is pretty horrible.

Also, Reid may be able to do a Harbaugh turn around in KC. The situation is almost identical, all the way down to the QB. KC is oozong with talent.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• My first instinct was KC, but Reid is liable to ignore Jamaal Charles just as every other KC coach seemed to do. Still, they have the goods to make it work.

Think you have to account for New Orleans taking back the NFC South division. Carolina might end up being pretty damn good, too.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Rams. Two moderate draft picks in the first round and a pretty solid roster all around as it is. I expect them to be in contention for the NFC-West title this year.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• Raiders if Flynn turns out to be legit.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• The Rams, but I am probably a year early on this one. I think they overtake the Niners for 2nd best in the West.

I like the Dolphins to make noise, with the Jets and Bills going backwards. I feel like the Dolphins are setting up well for 2014 and beyond.

The Panthers have a decent D, and I like them to scare the Falcons.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Good call on the Phins. Who knew Mr Mackey was a good coach? But, he most certainly is, despite Irelands best meddling efforts.

Just a gut feel, but I think the Rams stay at 8 wins, tops, next year.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I just don't rate the panthers. I don't see them as grabbing more than about 6 wins this year. they define mediocrity for me, and I don't think they have enough in the tank to grind out close games. Their QB was all hype and no trousers.

Dolphins are one I will watch. LOTS of talent on that team, and I'm leaning towards Trannyhill actually being a decent QB.

I'm interested in see what Kelly can do with the Eagles. Could be a dark horse in that division, as I think NY will be average again, the cowboys will suck and RGKnee will miss quite a bit of time.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• pehawk wrote:Good call on the Phins. Who knew Mr Mackey was a good coach? But, he most certainly is, despite Irelands best meddling efforts.

I might be a year early. everything they do to get better on the o-line seems undone by losing receivers.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I agree lookout for the Rams. I really like the D line, and that place kicker will give you fits if you let the score hang close
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Philly will win the NFC East. Make sure y'all take Lesean McCoy #1 in your fantasy drafts.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• My best guess it will be Tampa Bay
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

• I feel like any of the four NFC South teams has the potential to win 10+ games next year.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:I feel like any of the four NFC South teams has the potential to win 10+ games next year.

Word. I consider all of them good, but am not sure if any will be a true contender. Tampa has acquired some serious talent. And, while he's easy to rip, Cam has the makings of a guy who can carry a team. I cant see Cam staying in loserville too long.

That's a fun division to watch, for sure.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I have the same feeling about the Browns, good rb, talent on D, and a 2nd yr Qb. with the decline of the ravens and steelers i think they battle the bengals for the division.

I also have a wierd feeling about the eagles.
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter

• Jaguars.

The offense should be a lot better with Maurice Jones-Drew coming back from injury, and the continued progression of WRs Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts, along with year 3 of the very unfairly bashed Blaine Gabbert. The defense has talent, although Gus Bradley will be challenged to get a consistent pass rush out of it. The team also plays in a division that I'm not especially impressed with.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Scottemojo wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Good call on the Phins. Who knew Mr Mackey was a good coach? But, he most certainly is, despite Irelands best meddling efforts.

I might be a year early. everything they do to get better on the o-line seems undone by losing receivers.

The Rams didn't really have any receivers last year, the one they did have was injury prone. The Rams need some receivers badly for Bradford. Though I think they rightly focused on trying to get him upright in free agency.

I think the Chargers will have a break out year. Norv Turner was to much of a drag on that team.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• Panthers. Their 2012 season was a near clone of Seattle's 2011 season.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:Panthers. Their 2012 season was a near clone of Seattle's 2011 season.

I was about so say Panthers, they finished pretty damn strong.

And even though their GM is a complete moron, I'll go with the Dolphins too. I'm a believer in Tannehill and they have surrounded him with talent, on paper they look like a break out team.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• razor150 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Good call on the Phins. Who knew Mr Mackey was a good coach? But, he most certainly is, despite Irelands best meddling efforts.

The Rams didn't really have any receivers last year, the one they did have was injury prone. The Rams need some receivers badly for Bradford. Though I think they rightly focused on trying to get him upright in free agency.

I think the Chargers will have a break out year. Norv Turner was to much of a drag on that team.

Gibson and Amendola are still backwards steps. No Jackson in the backfield. It will take Fisher 3 years to restock the shelves.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I just don't see it. I get the similarities between the 2012 Panthers and the 2011 Seahawks, but I don't think they're poised to take a big step forward. the other 3 teams in their division are better than them, and I just don't think they have the horses to scrounge out more than about 6 wins.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Panthers and Chiefs.
    penihawk
    NET Practice Squad

• The Outfield wrote:Raiders if Flynn turns out to be legit.

Hahahahahahaha, no.

Even if Flynn were near Russell status, the Raiders wouldn't be better than 8-8 with the roster they have. The only things they break out in is hives and fights.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• I'll go with the Chiefs. They have a lot of talent, and a coach that will be much better at utilizing it.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• my 2nd fav team...watch out for super chargers to bust out and play my hawks in my dream sb...
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

• Oakland and Dallas
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Miami has been on the cusp and was a tough out last year

Panthers sucked went back to what worked with Cam and started winning. Only concern is new coach and backup qb's that don't fit big they go traditional they will suck again

I love Rivers as an NC State grad and hope a new coach will do it but don't think so

KC had what 5 pro-bowlers last year and were dead last? Put Reid and AS in the same team and u think they will be very good.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• peachesenregalia wrote:I just don't see it. I get the similarities between the 2012 Panthers and the 2011 Seahawks, but I don't think they're poised to take a big step forward. the other 3 teams in their division are better than them, and I just don't think they have the horses to scrounge out more than about 6 wins.

Man, the Panthers went 6-3 over their last 9 games last year, and it seemed that it took Cam Newton about half the season to shake off a sophomore slump. It didn't help that the Panthers' OC was muddling things, going away from what worked for the Panthers in 2011 (when they improved 4 games over their abysmal 2010 season).

In the end, they were a middle of the pack type of team that started poorly and starting putting things together near the end of the season. I disagree that the Bucs are better, really, and the Saints are too one-dimensional. And even so, the Panthers split with the Falcons and swept the Saints this past year.

I think the Panthers may be a breakout team in 2013 for the same reason I think the Browns absolutely WON'T be one... Rob Chudzinski is now the Browns' HC instead of the Panthers' OC.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• peachesenregalia wrote:I just don't see it. I get the similarities between the 2012 Panthers and the 2011 Seahawks, but I don't think they're poised to take a big step forward. the other 3 teams in their division are better than them, and I just don't think they have the horses to scrounge out more than about 6 wins.

You should see their advanced stats. Both FO and especially Advanced NFL Stats paint the picture of a team that should have won a lot more games than they did last year. Even if you don't buy that argument, their defense finished red hot ever since moving Kuechly to MLB, they have (IMO) the most physically talented QB in the NFL, and they have some good draft picks coming up in the draft with a GM who drafts pretty well, IMO. I don't know how you could look at this team and think 6 wins. This is a team that was a historic fluke performance from Brady Quinn away from winning their final six games in a row.

Even early in the year when they were struggling, they still put a scare in the Seahawks. There is a lot of talent on that team. Panthers swept the Saints and should have swept the Falcons.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Rams. I love the D line they have put together. They need a RB in the draft and some D back help which I think they will address
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information