For those worried we might become the 2011 Eagles

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a great comparison of the huge differences between what Philadelphia did in 2011, and what Seattle's front office is doing in 2013. Plus, we have a legitimate defensive coordinator, and did not fire almost our entire defensive staff only to turn around and hire...an offensive coordinator? LOL.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/

A refresher on the Eagles debacle

" In a stunner, the Eagles name offensive line coach Juan Castillo as their defensive coordinator. Asked whether this was Castillo's job to lose, Reid says, "I would tell you yes"

Read (and enjoy) the entire defensive snafu timeline here:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...lines__Eagles_hire_defensive_coordinator.html

TheHawkster

Reaction score
The Eagles never had an O-line or D-line.
They went for high priced players on defense and never fixed the real problem. (Samuel, Nnamdi and so on)

I have a few friends a work that are Iggles fans.
I kept asking if they fixed their lines yet while they were talking "Dream Team".

The FO in Philly dropped the ball with how their team was built.
Seattle has a much better foundation and the high priced talent coming in is much younger.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
There are no dream teams in the NFL. That would look something like Rodgers throwing to Megatron, Fitzgerald and Harvin with AP in the backfield, New England's tight ends, San Francisco's O-line, Seattle's secondary and a combination of various D-linemen and linebackers.

This is a well-built team with few glaring holes on paper and that already had some success last year. Still, nothing is guaranteed. I still don't like the "dream team" talk, even if Seahawks have made smarter roster moves than the Eagles did in 2011. A lot of things still have to go right to win a championship or even make the playoffs.

kearly

Reaction score
I always thought the dream team thing was overblown with Philly. Awesome-wa and DRC were great additions on paper to a fun team, but it takes a lot more than two additions to take a decent team to "dream team" status.

The 2013 Seahawks though? I wouldn't call them the dream team now, but if people are calling them the dream team next February, it will be well earned.

Teqneek

Reaction score
I have to ask.. how did Nnamdi even look good on paper. Nnamdi looked good in some games.. but no way on this green earth has Nnamdi EVER looked good on paper.. Period.. Overrated, Overpaid.. and I wouldnt have even signed him for what SF did.

15 Interceptions in 10 years, ONe year he had 8, never had one other year with more than 3, 1, 2 and 0. His PD are extremely low each year for a Shutdown Man Cover Corner.

To this day.. I will never see what apparently everyone else sees in this guy.

ensett

Reaction score
Teqneek":2fgcaih9 said:
I have to ask.. how did Nnamdi even look good on paper. Nnamdi looked good in some games.. but no way on this green earth has Nnamdi EVER looked good on paper.. Period.. Overrated, Overpaid.. and I wouldnt have even signed him for what SF did.

15 Interceptions in 10 years, ONe year he had 8, never had one other year with more than 3, 1, 2 and 0. His PD are extremely low each year for a Shutdown Man Cover Corner.

Nnamdi was THE definition of a shutdown corner when he was in Oakland. NOBODY threw on him. Revis had more completions on him than Nnamdi had pass attempts against him because he was just too dominating. The couple years before he went to the Eagles were probably some of the best CB years in history. The eagles just killed him though

vonstout

Reaction score
Shutdown corners usually don't have a lot of picks because the ball isn't thrown their way much.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
The Eagles mismanaged their team and brought in a lot of band-aids hoping for the best. The Seahawks have built their team mostly through the draft and brought in a few select pieces through FA to round out an already strong roster. Seattle is not in the position the Eagles were in. I never liked the "Dream Team" thing and wont be applying it to our Hawks, but I believe this team will be amazing.

Teqneek

Reaction score
ensett":39qddykg said:
Teqneek":39qddykg said:

Nnamdi was THE definition of a shutdown corner when he was in Oakland. NOBODY threw on him. Revis had more completions on him than Nnamdi had pass attempts against him because he was just too dominating. The couple years before he went to the Eagles were probably some of the best CB years in history. The eagles just killed him though

No one ever threw to him.. how could he be concidered a shut down corner.. He didnt do ANYTHING before his 8 interception year, that would even hint towards people NOT wanting to throw to him. This statement has never made any sense.. It took Nnamdi almost 8 years to get the Ints Richard Sherman has now... Let alone pass defenses. He cant intercept the ball, he barely knocks down passes.. but hes a shutdown corner? Geesh

Sorry I wont buy this line of thinking.. I watched him play.. Ive watched his stats go no where for 10 years.. and then I watched the eagles pay him for ONE year he actually did well. Took him three years to get those 8 interceptions.. What changed after 3 years of watching him that teams decided to all of a sudden throw his way for him to get those ints... then they never threw his way again and he never compiled more than 2 interceptiosn or 10 pass defenses after that. ::shrug:: Whatever, seems ridiculous still to me to call him a shutdown corner since he never proved that..

Hell Marcus Trufant has better numbers than Nnamdi. And he had Kelly Jennings playing on the other side for 5 years. You telling me theyd rather throw on Trufant than Kelly Jennings? lol

CANHawk

Reaction score
Well, a lot of the "dream team" thing came out of Vince Young's mouth and i think a lot of THAT had to do with him thinking HE was elite. Had that team got the VY that VY thought he was, they probably would have been a dream team.

Teqneek

Reaction score
Vince Young plays defense... Vince Young is DeSean Jackson as well? Woo.. why didnt we sign Vince Young then.

rideaducati

Reaction score
ensett":2zaw0aqk said:
Teqneek":2zaw0aqk said:

Nnamdi benefited from the corner opposite him on the field being horrible and the run defense the Raiders rolled out on game day was atrocious. Teams would either run at will or throw to the other side of Nnamdi because either option was almost guaranteed yardage. Don't believe me? Go back and look at the stats for the Nnamdi Raider years.

Mick063

Reaction score
Here is what I believe was the Eagle's biggest problem.

It is the same problem that the Detroit Lions have. The play a "wide nine" defense. A defense that supposedly gives better pass rush at the expense of being vulnerable to the run. This philosophy is only effective if you have a potent offense that forces the opponent to "keep up" by throwing the ball. This is a defensive philosophy based on consistently playing with a lead.

You don't make this a "base defense" and survive in the NFL. This is a situational defense.

Football is about "down and distance". When teams are calling plays in favorable situations (ie. 2nd and five), either run or pass can be called. This is when defenses are especially vulnerable.

I believe that the Eagle corners were indeed very good, but consistently placed in horrible circumstances due to "down and distance" because of the ill conceived "wide nine" defensive philosophy.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
Ive never ever got the eagles comparison.
I would be more worried about ending up like the jets from a few years ago them making all those off season moves and falling off

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Teqneek":2q6bkz6g said:

Nnamdi Asomugah was thrown at 29 times in the 2010 season, 13 of which were receptions. He was thrown at 28 times in 2009, and had 21 receptions against him.

I'm not sure he's as great as he was made out to be. However, even if he's not, he played a valuable role on the field; people didn't want to throw at him.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
He was arguably their best defensive player. It wasn't necessary to throw at Nnamdi to beat the Raiders.

As someone else said "Foundation" and that pertains to more than just the players, Seattle seems to have a "culture" working and team chemistry, these FA's coming in right now on these deals see and feel that and obviously want to be a part of it. The Eagles didn't have that... just hype.