Would you draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd round?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kigenzun":13kq8m2o said:
WestcoastSteve":13kq8m2o said:
Antoine Winfield has been one of the most effective slot corners in the NFL for years at the same height & weight.

Well, although i believe it spells doom for Tyrann Mathieu coming to the Seahawks, I just want to be the first to congratulate, rousingly approve, and then stand up and give a well deserved standing ovation to John Schneider for bringing in the 'mature, refined, & battletested' Master, (as opposed to the 'immature, unrefined, & untested (NFL-wise) student') We just bought ourselves the Prototype Pro Bowl Slot Cornerback! What a run in Free Agency. John Schneider is THE MAN & the man IS A GENIUS. :thirishdrinkers:

I hope this alleviates all the haters on this Forum's "concerns".

IMO having no specific slot cornerback was our biggest weakness, and now seeing addressed, in this fashion, I cannot help but sing the glorious praises of this Seahawks organization right now. From the top on down, the universe is aligning for us... and I must say...

WooHoo!!! Superbowl here we come!!! :lol:

Man o man this is so sweet a signing ...cuz now, we can match up Winfield on Welker in THE BIG GAME... & actually WIN IT ALL!!!!!! :p
Couldn't ask for a better mentor for one year than Winfield. Perfect spot to draft Mathieu and let him mature for a year :D

JSeahawks

Reaction score
No thanks. I dont mind drafting problem dudes. But I don't want stupid dudes. And this dude is just stupid.

Mathieu, a 2011 Heisman Trophy Finalist who missed the 2012 season after coach Les Miles booted him off the team for a failed drug test, told one NFL coach that during the course of his LSU career he failed more drug tests than he could count.

"I quit counting at 10. I really don't know," Miles told the NFL coach, according to USA Today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... ncaaf.html

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2qk9uvjp said:
No thanks. I dont mind drafting problem dudes. But I don't want stupid dudes. And this dude is just stupid.

Mathieu, a 2011 Heisman Trophy Finalist who missed the 2012 season after coach Les Miles booted him off the team for a failed drug test, told one NFL coach that during the course of his LSU career he failed more drug tests than he could count.

"I quit counting at 10. I really don't know," Miles told the NFL coach, according to USA Today.

Perhaps LSU should have made a stand earlier than after 10+ failed drug tests. Pretty much at that point, any person is going to think that they can keep doing what they're doing.

In a larger importance, I'm am extremely surprised that a university allowed an athlete to fail a drug test 10 times without consequences before his expulsion. It's such a horrible message to send to its players. And how common is this? Hmmm...

Either suspend/punish at #1 or admit that marijuana test fails are not seen as a big deal and remove it from it's test, period.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea, you gotta wonder what made them decide to suspend him after the 14th or 15th, when they didnt care about the first dozen.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":xsybwp2r said:
JSeahawks":xsybwp2r said:

Perhaps LSU should have made a stand earlier than after 10+ failed drug tests. Pretty much at that point, any person is going to think that they can keep doing what they're doing.

In a larger importance, I'm am extremely surprised that a university allowed an athlete to fail a drug test 10 times without consequences before his expulsion. It's such a horrible message to send to its players. And how common is this? Hmmm...

Either suspend/punish at #1 or admit that marijuana test fails are not seen as a big deal and remove it from it's test, period.

That's my policy. I drug test my employees but I also decide what "drug" use requires disciplinary action. Smoke before or during the work day and you're gone. One strike. But my guys are honest hard working people that seldom if ever drink and never indulge in trendy chemical amusement aids. I'm not going to dictate to them and tell them they can't smoke a joint on their couch on a Saturday night.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I was for drafting the Honey Badger before we signed Winfield. I think he'd be a great mentor for the guy but having to spend a 2nd-4th on Mathieu who would be battling for our 4th CB spot wouldn't be very good value. With we are already going to be cutting Thurmond, Lane, or Maxwell I'm not sure we spend a pick on a CB anymore. I see no way Lane doesn't make the team he showed great on special teams and was commendable when he had to step in. WT3 has the talent but his injures make him a liability so if he goes down again I could see him cut. Maxwell hasn't done anything to guarantee a roster spot but he has shown capable. So if you draft a guy like Mathieu or any CB in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th I think it all about guarentees WT3 and Maxwell are out.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Apparently somebody finally answered the above original question with a "YES".
Congratulations to Tyrann Mathieu for getting drafted in the NFL.
3rd round, pick #69, by the Arizona Cardinals.
IMHO His interview with Trey Wingo was heartfelt.
I guess now we'll be able to see how he turns out within our division, and it will be an easy comparison to the route we Seahawks took addressing the same crucial issue of slot coverage cornerback by signing Antoine Winfield... especially in light of the Rams trading up for Tavon Austin.

I know he just wants to play ball on Sundays... & now he'll get to...
look forward to tackling Marshawn Lynch :141847_bnono: & Colin Kaepernick :0190l: