And just think...we haven't even had the draft yet

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Will be very interesting to see what Seattle and San Francisco do in a couple of weeks. The story within the story if you will.

I think we will continue to be aggressive, which seems to be the FO's M.O. this offseason

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":mqxgcuzu said:
Will be very interesting to see what Seattle and San Francisco do in a couple of weeks. The story within the story if you will.

I think we will continue to be aggressive, which seems to be the FO's M.O. this offseason

Agreed. I have a feeling we might be wheeling and dealing. For and with whom, I dunno...

SE174

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":53sk94z2 said:
HawkFan72":53sk94z2 said:
haha, i just posted the same thing in the "Complete" thread. I was getting excited over the very same thing! It is amazing that JS will be adding more pieces to the roster...more players like KJ Wright, and Bobby Wagner, Kam, Sherman, etc.

At this phase in free agency it is easy to assume all the good players are off the table, but there are still some future stars out there for the taking. And JS has proven he is very good at finding them.

That realization today that the draft is in a couple weeks and we will be adding to the depth on this team just got me super excited.

All this excitement and "wow, really?" action in free agency has totally pushed the draft excitement aside...until now.

Seriously, we could go any position in any round.

I wouldn't quite say that. LB and DT are still somewhat of question marks, IMO. I don't think Malcolm Smith or Tony McDaniel are the future at either position, or even really upgrades over Leroy Hill and Alan Branch. I'd hope that we go after LB, DT, OT in the first three picks, not necessarily in that order, then BPA after that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I can't remember more expecations, excitement, buzz, and optimism in my years as a Seahawks fan. It's surreal.

As for the UDFA, I agree with Blue Talon. Teams are more likely to look at roster cuts on a deep team like Seattle or SF than teams like Buffalo and the Raiders (wow, this guy couldn't make the Raiders ? Sheesh, why would we want him?). Of the two, Seattle is a far more encouraging environment for young guys trying to make a team; Harbaugh doesn't even play the rookies he drafted. Pete and John don't play favorites, and don't care about the contract and that has been proven repeatedly. They look for a certain amount of roster churn, and are always looking to upgrade every single position, no matter what the depth.

I can't think of a more conducive place to make a team for a young UDFA. Sure, we're not the only one, but probably the best option.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I told you guys we weren't gonna do anything in FA..... Wait what did I miss?

kearly

Reaction score
I think the best Seahawks offseason in team history was last year's, but that's only because John Schneider pulled a Tom Brady in the 3rd round, and that obviously makes any comparison unfair. At the very least, this is the most impressive pre-draft period I've ever seen, by the Seahawks or any other team in recent memory.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":j9e8bpzf said:
I think the best Seahawks offseason in team history was last year's, but that's only because John Schneider pulled a Tom Brady in the 3rd round, and that obviously makes any comparison unfair. At the very least, this is the most impressive pre-draft period I've ever seen, by the Seahawks or any other team in recent memory.

Hard to argue with that. Getting Wilson in the 3rd round will go down as one of the best moves EVER in this franchises history.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Totally!!!

The team has scored better this FA period than ever before in team history. This is a place players want to come to b/c there is a winning program here and b/c the FO respects the players and let's them move along if they want to leave while opening the door to allowing players to actually legitimately compete for their jobs. Slackers aren't welcome here and the best guys get the playing time.

Back to topic this draft presents an opportunity to create an enviable level of depth on the team while perhaps providing a couple of new starters but they will have to fight for their job.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bakergirl":2itoktwj said:
Ain't it great?! :snack: :mrgreen: Can't think of a better position to be in going into the draft. Loaded down with all kinds of talent from all walks. Gives me warm fuzzies all over.

Just loved this post! My exact feelings.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

LyndseyG

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":rqmbde9t said:
LyndseyG":rqmbde9t said:
FlyingGreg":rqmbde9t said:
This has been a pretty amazing free agent period. The talent added and the affordable contracts absorbed is impressive.

The truly exciting part is...we still have 10 draft picks coming. Obviously, with the talent level on this roster right now, most of those guys most likely won't even make the final 53. But it's always exciting to see what John and Pete pull off in the draft. The heart of this roster has been built through the draft. Russell Wilson, Russell Okung, Max Unger, James Carpenter, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Bruce Irvin, KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor...all young core pieces of this roster and all draft picks.

They rebuilt this roster the right way - through the draft with key additions at opportunistic times in free agency/trade (Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Chris Clemons, Brandon Browner...now Harvin, Avril, Bennett and Winfield).

To have the roster we currently have, with 10 picks coming...and with cap stability?

Amazing.

Um... Silly question...

What about Quinn? You've left him out.

Our back-up QB isn't going to be an impact player. At least...we hope not.

An right! Im with you! :)

Bakergirl

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3sknyopo said:

On the contrary I hope he is an impact player...if he's needed to be. Of course we hope there is no need for it, but should he be needed I want him to be an impact player. I want them to prepare the crap out of him and I'm hoping our man Russell will show him what it really means to be prepared and how to do it properly. I hope for that matter that Josh Portis follows the same line of thinking. Our #1 is amazing. I want our #2 and #3 to be as close to that as possible, as anything can happen in the NFL. We just cross our fingers and hope for the best case scenario, prepare the crap out of those backups and hope we end up with a marketable product should they not be needed. Wouldn't it be great to see Seattle become the powerhouse QB developers that Green Bay has been so famous for? Think of the draft capital it could generate...:mrgreen:

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Bakergirl":1yxj2weo said:
FlyingGreg":1yxj2weo said:

On the contrary I hope he is an impact player...if he's needed to be. Of course we hope there is no need for it, but should he be needed I want him to be an impact player. I want them to prepare the crap out of him and I'm hoping our man Russell will show him what it really means to be prepared and how to do it properly. I hope for that matter that Josh Portis follows the same line of thinking. Our #1 is amazing. I want our #2 and #3 to be as close to that as possible, as anything can happen in the NFL. We just cross our fingers and hope for the best case scenario, prepare the crap out of those backups and hope we end up with a marketable product should they not be needed. Wouldn't it be great to see Seattle become the powerhouse QB developers that Green Bay has been so famous for? Think of the draft capital it could generate...:mrgreen:

Completely disagree, because that would mean Wilson is out and that would kill our chances... Wilson is too much of a difference maker.

I think Quinn will be better with our coaching staff and in this environment, but we don't want to see him taking any meaningful snaps.

warden

Reaction score
I think we get two starters from this draft

A DT and A WSLB

Bennett is a situational DT but could be a full time DE. A big body DT to play in base defense is still a need. I fully see our 2nd or 3rd round pick competing for that job

Open competition exists for WSLB. Let's hope we find a gem in the draft to compete with Smith.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Quinn is a huge question mark to the entire league at this point. High draft pick thrown into some pretty unwinnable situations. This team is built to support the QB position and Carroll has shown he can make guys like Leinart even look good and Schneider is a master of getting value out of players on the FA market.

I don't think we need Wilson to go down to give Quinn some show casing. We have preseason and hopefully games where we are up far enough we can put Quinn in for mop up or maybe even some game ending heroic's.

When the competition of the 4 QB's brought in was announced. This was my first thought but I admitted I didn't know much about Quinn and went on Kearly's advice so I was pulling for Wallace but since the FO has chosen Quinn and when you look at what he has been up against with the opportunities given. I am back on the Quinn band wagon hoping we can draft a young gun and develop both him and Quinn. One for the future backup role and one for trade value.

I do like that he is a film room slash work out warrior like Wilson and feel that will help in team building and his own development.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion we can win it all with the players currently in place. Not OVER confident because (naturally) many things can (and will) happen prior to next year's championship game. I've not looked at the most recent Vegas line but I think we should top the NFL at like 1-4. I actually think we could go deep even with Quinn. We're that loaded.

But to the topic...If I were our FO, I'd trade whatever we need to this year in order to have sufficient picks next year to move up to the 1 spot in 2014. Again, many things will happen this upcoming year, college and Pro, but as of now... I probably don't have to say who I would take with that pick.

EDIT: Perhaps I am OVER confident: Vegas has us at 9-1, behind Denver and NE (6-1) and SF (13-2). NE and SF will always get a lot of action but putting us at 9-1 won't keep the lights on.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":8e6pzbvt said:
Bakergirl":8e6pzbvt said:
FlyingGreg":8e6pzbvt said:

Completely disagree, because that would mean Wilson is out and that would kill our chances... Wilson is too much of a difference maker.

I think Quinn will be better with our coaching staff and in this environment, but we don't want to see him taking any meaningful snaps.

I guess we can agree to disagree here. You know how much of a Wilson fan I am, but I'd rather see the team prepared for any eventuality, in the hopes that we wont need to take advantage of it. Say we make a great run and something does happen towards the end of the season...Is it not better to have a solid, reliable, well prepared backup? Someone who can potentially fill the gap and not lose a bunch of games killing our playoff chances in the process, while our main man heals up and preps for the games that really matter? That's the ideal situation IMO.

Latest posts