And just think...we haven't even had the draft yet

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
This has been a pretty amazing free agent period. The talent added and the affordable contracts absorbed is impressive.

The truly exciting part is...we still have 10 draft picks coming. Obviously, with the talent level on this roster right now, most of those guys most likely won't even make the final 53. But it's always exciting to see what John and Pete pull off in the draft. The heart of this roster has been built through the draft. Russell Wilson, Russell Okung, Max Unger, James Carpenter, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Bruce Irvin, KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor...all young core pieces of this roster and all draft picks.

They rebuilt this roster the right way - through the draft with key additions at opportunistic times in free agency/trade (Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Chris Clemons, Brandon Browner...now Harvin, Avril, Bennett and Winfield).

To have the roster we currently have, with 10 picks coming...and with cap stability?

Amazing.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I feel like I've been living in a dream ever since the moment Russell Wilson took the field in a Seahawks uniform. This team has got to be the best in the NFL from top to bottom, and I personally don't think it's close.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Ain't it great?! :snack: :mrgreen: Can't think of a better position to be in going into the draft. Loaded down with all kinds of talent from all walks. Gives me warm fuzzies all over.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
haha, i just posted the same thing in the "Complete" thread. I was getting excited over the very same thing! It is amazing that JS will be adding more pieces to the roster...more players like KJ Wright, and Bobby Wagner, Kam, Sherman, etc.

At this phase in free agency it is easy to assume all the good players are off the table, but there are still some future stars out there for the taking. And JS has proven he is very good at finding them.

That realization today that the draft is in a couple weeks and we will be adding to the depth on this team just got me super excited.

brettb3

Reaction score
But according to one of the posters on the Winfield thread, we have the lowest draft value in the league. We should all be very, very concerned. :roll:

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HawkFan72":24k86dy0 said:
haha, i just posted the same thing in the "Complete" thread. I was getting excited over the very same thing! It is amazing that JS will be adding more pieces to the roster...more players like KJ Wright, and Bobby Wagner, Kam, Sherman, etc.

At this phase in free agency it is easy to assume all the good players are off the table, but there are still some future stars out there for the taking. And JS has proven he is very good at finding them.

That realization today that the draft is in a couple weeks and we will be adding to the depth on this team just got me super excited.

All this excitement and "wow, really?" action in free agency has totally pushed the draft excitement aside...until now.

Seriously, we could go any position in any round.

LyndseyG

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":16yjuswo said:
This has been a pretty amazing free agent period. The talent added and the affordable contracts absorbed is impressive.

The truly exciting part is...we still have 10 draft picks coming. Obviously, with the talent level on this roster right now, most of those guys most likely won't even make the final 53. But it's always exciting to see what John and Pete pull off in the draft. The heart of this roster has been built through the draft. Russell Wilson, Russell Okung, Max Unger, James Carpenter, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Bruce Irvin, KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor...all young core pieces of this roster and all draft picks.

They rebuilt this roster the right way - through the draft with key additions at opportunistic times in free agency/trade (Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Chris Clemons, Brandon Browner...now Harvin, Avril, Bennett and Winfield).

To have the roster we currently have, with 10 picks coming...and with cap stability?

Amazing.

Um... Silly question...

What about Quinn? You've left him out.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Going to be tough for rookies to make this team. I'd expect only 3 or 4. If i'm an undrafted free agent i'm definatly going somewhere else, even with the tradition of Pete and the SEahawks allowing them to compete and earn a spot.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
LyndseyG":2l31537x said:
FlyingGreg":2l31537x said:

Amazing.

Um... Silly question...

What about Quinn? You've left him out.

Our back-up QB isn't going to be an impact player. At least...we hope not.

grizbob

Reaction score
Yup, went to bed two months ago and woke to an alternate universe :shock:

These aint your daddy's Seahawks :0190l:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1qyukqb2 said:
If i'm an undrafted free agent i'm definatly going somewhere else, even with the tradition of Pete and the Seahawks allowing them to compete and earn a spot.
Are you kidding? Once you are undrafted, you are hoping to go anywhere. If you are so fortunate as to have a few teams calling you up, and one of them is the Seahawks, and the offers are all similar, you are going to choose to go somewhere else? You have a chance to be coached by some of the best coaches in the league, surrounded by some of the best players in the league, at one of the best facilities in the league, and you're going to pass that up?

You have got to know that your best shot of actually proving yourself as a UDFA is probably in Seattle with Pete Carroll's Seahawks. And even if you don't make it in Seattle, the Seahawks have become one of those teams that the other teams watch at roster-cut time. You might even stand a better chance of making a team like the Bills or Cards or Raiders by going to Seattle first, than by actually starting out in Buffalo or AZ or Oakland.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
grizbob":vk69k2g9 said:
Yup, went to bed two months ago and woke to an alternate universe :shock:

These aint your daddy's Seahawks :0190l:
Yeah?, Ya know?, that glass that I'd been seeing as half empty for so many Years?, well, as of late, someone, or someones keeps filling it up, and I suspect it be Pete Carroll and John Schneider.
Only problem I have now is, I'm off on a new tangent, looking for something else to be in a dither about, because this is uncharted waters for this life long Seahawks fan. :16:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3clfovn0 said:
JSeahawks":3clfovn0 said:
If i'm an undrafted free agent i'm definatly going somewhere else, even with the tradition of Pete and the Seahawks allowing them to compete and earn a spot.
Are you kidding? Once you are undrafted, you are hoping to go anywhere. If you are so fortunate as to have a few teams calling you up, and one of them is the Seahawks, and the offers are all similar, you are going to choose to go somewhere else? You have a chance to be coached by some of the best coaches in the league, surrounded by some of the best players in the league, at one of the best facilities in the league, and you're going to pass that up?

You have got to know that your best shot of actually proving yourself as a UDFA is probably in Seattle with Pete Carroll's Seahawks. And even if you don't make it in Seattle, the Seahawks have become one of those teams that the other teams watch at roster-cut time. You might even stand a better chance of making a team like the Bills or Cards or Raiders by going to Seattle first, than by actually starting out in Buffalo or AZ or Oakland.

Undrafted free agents make rosters all over the NFL. You're being naive and silly if you think the only place they get a chance is Seattle.

Hell yes, i'd choose to go somewhere else. I'd rather have a chance to make the team i go to training camp with then try to get on film and catch on somewhere else.

Atradees

Reaction score
Don't pinch me...we are so relevant. I think we still have Jeron Johnson. I see good things for him too.

vonstout

Reaction score
The link to the draft value chart that someone posted on the Winfield thread is interesting, but just because you have a pick of value doesn't mean the player selected at that spot is going to pan out. Every team screws up first round picks, including the current Hawks regime. 2011: James Carpenter hasn't been worthy of his first round draft status. Moffit in the second wasn't that great either. But KJ Wright in the third and Sherman in the fifth made up for it. If we drafted Sherman in the first, KJ in the second, Carpenter in the third, and Moffit in the fourth, everyone would say it was a great draft 2 years later.

If we can get a starter at RT, RG, LB, or DT in the second round and a guy in the third round that can challenge the existing starter, this will be the best offseason in Seahawk history by far.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
vonstout":11yinqvx said:
The link to the draft value chart that someone posted on the Winfield thread is interesting, but just because you have a pick of value doesn't mean the player selected at that spot is going to pan out. Every team screws up first round picks, including the current Hawks regime. 2011: James Carpenter hasn't been worthy of his first round draft status. Moffit in the second wasn't that great either. But KJ Wright in the third and Sherman in the fifth made up for it. If we drafted Sherman in the first, KJ in the second, Carpenter in the third, and Moffit in the fourth, everyone would say it was a great draft 2 years later.

If we can get a starter at RT, RG, LB, or DT in the second round and a guy in the third round that can challenge the existing starter, this will be the best offseason in Seahawk history by far.

Just to be accurate- Moffitt was a 3rd round pick. KJ Wright was a 4th rounder.

I think people are getting too worked up over the guard positions. I think Carpenter will have a breakout year @ LG and I think that Moffitt and Sweezy will duke it out at RG. From where I'm sitting the guard position is well stocked and deep and with the added experience Both guard spots will see more consistent play this year. I think with Carp, Rishaw, Moffitt, and Sweezy there's plenty of guard depth on the team.

The one glaring question mark is who'd going to play WLB? I think Malcolm SMith will get a shot at the job, but I expect a draft pick to come in and challenge for that.

I disagree with some of you. I think more of the 10 picks will make the team than most expect. I think there's plenty of opporunity as a role/ depth player to make this squad.

I think guys who could be in trouble of losing their roster spots to draft picks include- Byron Maxwell, Chris Maragos, Jeron Johnson, Heath Farwell, ect. along with others on offense.

Yeah I know these guys are special teams players but I could see several draft picks replace these players on special teams. Jeremy Lane was a breakout special teams player last year. I see a few more this year.

vonstout

Reaction score
You're right. We didn't have a second rounder in 2011. Moffit was our second pick in the draft, but a third rounder. My point was that Sherman's play has been on par with a good first round selection and that the pick value charts don't guarantee that the player selected will meet those expectations.

The Radish

Reaction score
Bakergirl":42eucqpb said:
Ain't it great?! :snack: :mrgreen: Can't think of a better position to be in going into the draft. Loaded down with all kinds of talent from all walks. Gives me warm fuzzies all over.

fizzies,,,,isn't it fizzies?

:les: