Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Winfield, Bennett, Avril...all signed for lower than expected money on prove it deals to play in one of the more anonymous locations in the NFL.

I remember when Pete was hired, one of the media catchphrases was about how he couldn't get the best players like he did in college. I thought that too. I was wrong.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Totally agree. I think they may be the best. They at least are the best we've ever had. I was trying to think last night of the last time we had a Free Agent that this board REALLY wanted (that the Seahawks actually were trying to sign) go somewhere else. You know, the players who generate 15 page threads and have you sitting up late hitting refresh over and over.

It used to happen ALL THE TIME. Seattle was pursuing someone, but they ended up on another team unless Seattle overpaid big time. TJ Houshmanzadeh, Grant Wistrom, etc. Since Pete and John got here, it seems like they usually get who they want without having to do that.

Sidney Rice, Jason Jones, Matt Flynn, Avril, Winfield, Bennett, Alan Branch, Miller, and even our own guys: Mebane, Bryant, Lynch.

There have been very few times that a player the Seahawks were actually pursuing, that I REALLY WANTED, decided to go somewhere else instead of taking an offer on the table from the Seahawks.

Times have changed a lot.

A

Anonymous

Was watching "SoundFX" on NFL Network the other day...

Devin Hester was giving Pete the business for not recruiting him for USC out of high school. Hester made a good case too, saying he was the #2 DB in the country and so forth.

Pete really didn't have an answer for him.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I truly believe it's the team effort of JS and PC. The business side of an agreement to play for the Hawks or any team can't happen without the front office boss. I regard JS equally as important to our success as PC.

Renohawk

Reaction score
I think the days of overpaying FA's to come here and beg for their service is over. Now, "if" JS PC want someone, they invite them in, throw the helmet on the desk with a pen and contract and say, are you in or out.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yes he is.

It's even more important with the new CBA, where the NFLPA ignorantly created their own 99% vs 1% scenario. Contracts for the Bennett's, Avril's, Winfield's, etc will forever be pretty much equal. The equalizer will be the orgs reputation and recruiting prowess.

Whether its true or not, the fact a player thinks Flynn was traded to "do right by Matt" speaks VOLUMES.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I see Winfield took 2 million less guaranteed to sign with Seattle. It just keeps getting better. When guys sign with you like that, it means they think this is the title chance.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30hhyo8b said:
I see Winfield took 2 million less guaranteed to sign with Seattle. It just keeps getting better. When guys sign with you like that, it means they think this is the title chance.

Pete's pretty close to having the talent disparity he did at USC. I REALLY believe that.

Scary.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2y8q4jbw said:
Scottemojo":2y8q4jbw said:

Pete's pretty close to having the talent disparity he did at USC. I REALLY believe that.

Scary.

Winfield turned down the Patriots and Broncos, along with the Skins and Vikes to sign in Seattle.

For the first time this year, I heard non Seahawk players on NFLN talking about Seattle's fun atmosphere and practices, even though they get more snaps in those practices than most teams. The buy in league wide is going to keep Seattle a destination for players while Pete is here.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with Wilson. He's an inevitable champion.

Happy

Reaction score
Great topic.

I think it was like the start of the season in year 2? tjack was going to be the starting qb, we had a green o-line full of high draft picks, our best offensive skill player was Mike Williams. The team had basically been gutted.

Pete was taking a lot of heat. One of the big talking points was lack of leadership on the team. My recollection is the gist of his message was that it's all about running the program in a certain way and creating the environment and the conditions conducive to success. That's his job, and that once enough of the ingredients are there the results will start to manifest themselves, and leaders will emerge as part of that process.

And that's pretty much what's happened. And people are taking notice. The man has a great recipe for running a successful football program. On a personal level I find it educational and inspirational in that it's not about control, but about creating the optimal conditions for success, and then letting people take advantage of it. That's huge!

Ok, I'm outta here. Sun is out and the surf is up.

pehawk

Reaction score
sadhappy":3cqlckk9 said:
Great topic.

I think it was like the start of the season in year 2? tjack was going to be the starting qb, we had a green o-line full of high draft picks, our best offensive skill player was Mike Williams. The team had basically been gutted.

Pete was taking a lot of heat. One of the big talking points was lack of leadership on the team. My recollection is the gist of his message was that it's all about running the program in a certain way and creating the environment and the conditions conducive to success. That's his job, and that once enough of the ingredients are there the results will start to manifest themselves, and leaders will emerge as part of that process.

And that's pretty much what's happened. And people are taking notice. The man has a great recipe for running a successful football program. On a personal level I find it educational and inspirational in that it's not about control, but about creating the optimal conditions for success, and then letting people take advantage of it. That's huge!

Ok, I'm outta here. Sun is out and the surf is up.

Its very Jimmy Johnsonesque. Those Cowboys teams are the best comparison, IMO.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Don't forget, there's us as well... as the draw.

We're great too!! :th2thumbs: :D

pehawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2bh4ws8j said:
Don't forget, there's us as well... as the draw.

We're great too!! :th2thumbs: :D

CORNY. No offense.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Times they are a changin that's the truth. Seattle is no longer invisible, but rather a desired destination on the fast track to...the sky's the limit. Pete and John have successfully created an environment that is both attractive and addictive.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
pehawk":201k7gz6 said:

The Inevitable Champion. I like that. Glad I thought of it.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bill Belichick has been the best recruiter of the last 10 years. What other head coaches recruit well? Harbaugh is no slouch, Fisher has brought a ton of guys with ties to him to STL, but I don't think that counts, some of them he had to give big dollars to, I can see that Fox would be a coach players would gravitate to, Ozzie Newsome and Harbaugh seem to do well, Miami has always been a player clime, but moreso when it was Parcells...

pehawk

Reaction score
Aros":3g4p3k4p said:
pehawk":3g4p3k4p said:

The Inevitable Champion. I like that. Glad I thought of it.

Todd has an inevitable champion in his pants. I have bedroom move called the inevitable champion.

Latest posts