Luis Suarez

Subzero717

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1izoxqw7 said:
peachesenregalia":1izoxqw7 said:
CALIHAWK1":1izoxqw7 said:
InSuarezWeTrust said:
Shaz said:
One of the main reasons why Soccer will never be as big as any other sport here in America

1. Ties
2. Flopping
3. Low scoring

If this guy does flopping and bitching, then he's everything that's wrong with the sport

Please leave this thread and don't come back.

Yes. The truth shall not be spoken in this thread.

Yeah, because guys never flop in basketball. Because a cumulative points league is just so bad for sports. Because hockey and baseball aren't low scoring.

Soccer won't be big in America because Americans are shite at it. You guys only like sports that are pretty much exclusively played in America at the professional level. That way all of the best players in that sport come here to play. You can't do that with soccer, so you don't like it. It's only the most popular sport in the entire world by a silly margin. I guess the rest of the world is wrong then?

When Italy and England went 0-0 after 90 minute I blanked out.

You almost got it right, but not quiet.Americans don't dislike soccer becsuse we suck at it. We don't play it therefore we don't like it. If our best athletes grew playing soccer we would be one of the teams in the world at it. Same as boxing. The Americans don't have a decent heavyweight because he is playing Tight End or Power Foward.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Calihawk... thats a common debate with American soccer. I just disagree with it. First, more kids ages 5-14 play organized soccer than all the other sports combined. And its not that close. Look it up.

The best athlete thing is purely American. Soccer players are world class athletes. The speed, balance, agility and strength they have while using their feet to control the ball is extraordinary. Its too easy to assume that calvin johnson or lebron james would just become world class soccer players if they grew up playing. As if the rest of the world only has 175 pound 5foot 8 men in their populace. The game is far more than that. If it wasn't why wouldn't the germans or dutch produced these 6 foot 8 soccer players. Is america the only country that has these athletes?

Not saying its impossible. But honestly our best athletes play soccer as well.

We just havent made them the elite soccer players yet. (thats a whole different post about the failures of youth soccer here)

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Player of the year in the EPL. Gareth Bale and Robin Van Persie can feast on 1000 dicks.

Suarez absolutely deserves to be a player of the year however I don't think he will win the honors. The reason why is because they vote on this early and therefore Van Persie is most likely winner. He was a bit better than Suarez in the early to mid stages of the season. After that, it ain't even close.

Personally, I am not a big fan of Suarez as a human being but as player he is phenomenal. I believe he is the only reason why Liverppol are sitting 7th in the league table.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2wmfelpi said:
Calihawk... thats a common debate with American soccer. I just disagree with it. First, more kids ages 5-14 play organized soccer than all the other sports combined. And its not that close. Look it up.

The best athlete thing is purely American. Soccer players are world class athletes. The speed, balance, agility and strength they have while using their feet to control the ball is extraordinary. Its too easy to assume that calvin johnson or lebron james would just become world class soccer players if they grew up playing. As if the rest of the world only has 175 pound 5foot 8 men in their populace. The game is far more than that. If it wasn't why wouldn't the germans or dutch produced these 6 foot 8 soccer players. Is america the only country that has these athletes?

We just havent made them the elite soccer players yet. (thats a whole different post about the failures of youth soccer here)

As far as more kids playing it than any other sport, I believe it. That is probably counting girls though too? Football and baseball don't even have a punchers chance.

Next if you look at the cutoff age being around 14 years. Many places around the country don't have football available until then. I understand it is the fastest growing sport and with player safety I assume that parents will tend to lean towards leaving them in soccer rather than letting them try out for football. As of right now as long as teenage American boys want to get laid they'll be turning their shin guards and soccer cleats in for shoulder pads and helmets as soon as they hit high school.

Also before I forget, our women do play through high school and college and they are halfway decent. That said I can imagine that if American males did the same the results would be similar. That's just me dreaming though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1wn44wty said:
Uncle Si":1wn44wty said:

As far as more kids playing it than any other sport, I believe it. That is probably counting girls though too? Football and baseball don't even have a punchers chance.

Next if you look at the cutoff age being around 14 years. Many places around the country don't have football available until then. I understand it is the fastest growing sport and with player safety I assume that parents will tend to lean towards leaving them in soccer rather than letting them try out for football. As of right now as long as teenage American boys want to get laid they'll be turning their shin guards and soccer cleats in for shoulder pads and helmets as soon as they hit high school.

Also before I forget, our women do play through high school and college and they are halfway decent. That said I can imagine that if American males did the same the results would be similar. That's just me dreaming though.

The age thing is an interesting dilemma, and one ive invested alot of time researching as VP of one of the biggest clubs in the state out here. basically its not about taking advantage of new sports. On the contrast, most kids between 5-14 are playing 2-3 sports a season. However, football (kids now play in the summer and fall), baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer are becoming 6-9 month investments now, not just "seasonal".

The dynamic changes drastically at 14. kids have to make a choice of one sport. (maybe two) because of the time and monetary investment involved. Football doesnt suffer too much as aside from camps there isnt much in the offseason (high school football doesnt evolve into summer club teams, but does have alot of camps) Soccer, hockey, basketball and baseball however continue to balance club and high school for up to 9-12 months a year. The kids then are really forced to concentrate on one.

It really has alot less to do with "getting laid" as much as choosing the sport you want (that want might be friday night lights, but athletes that make the choice for that typically arent going far in either sport). The football programs at high schools in most states arent any bigger in terms of participants than soccer programs (typically 60-100).

The USMNT has been built on physical, athletic players. What they are finally realizing is the game is far more technical and tactical and got not be influenced consistently by these types of players. They need to develop skillful, innovative, creative, etheral players, not just athletic ones.

Our youth system as it stands now is in a crossroads between development and fighting for the resources to keep it going. the duplicity is stunting its growth.

its little to do with the athletes that choose to play soccer and more with the way in which they are coached... sadly

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
toadie_uk":1v8k85gk said:
peachesenregalia":1v8k85gk said:
toadie_uk":1v8k85gk said:
Pardon me for disliking racists...

shelve it, twat.

And now I see why you like scum like him... birds of a feather and all that

Did Suarez say something bad on the pitch? Most likely. Is Evra a bitch? Definitely. Do you really think that any of what is said is really all that worse than on a football pitch close to 100 times in all sorts of languages and dialects? Probably not.

toadie_uk

Reaction score
I have only said that I dislike him because of his racist comments and then responded to being called a twat, I don't need a lesson in football etiquette, I've been on enough pitches in my time and I'd never put up with racist language anywhere.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
toadie_uk":1nbs1ehr said:
I have only said that I dislike him because of his racist comments and then responded to being called a twat, I don't need a lesson in football etiquette, I've been on enough pitches in my time and I'd never put up with racist language anywhere.

Look toadie. You're entitled to your opinion... but even Evar said Suarez wasn't a racist. The comments were blown way out of proportion. And in my mind suarez became a scapegoat of the FA. Terry actually used the "n" word and served a suspension half as long. Its a sensitive topic with liverpool fans.

Now, suarez is a villain... like Rodman, or even our own Sherman. He's a fantastic, beautifal, arrogant and nasty footballer. He's violent and dirty, and graceful at the same time. He's also donated hours of his time and millions of his dollars to helping those less fortunate.

So careful labeling someone a racists because he got into an argument with some whiney little twat on% of the world didn't think the comments were racist, but England does. Makes you wonder where the racism truly lies

toadie_uk

Reaction score
You make some interesting points... I disagree on the whole but see your point... now could we not have done this without dismissing me with a 'grow-up' or name-calling like peaches?

P.S RE: Terry - I concur entirely but that doesn't really affect my opinion on Suarez

Uncle Si

Reaction score
toadie_uk":3gqfgmyi said:
You make some interesting points... I disagree on the whole but see your point... now could we not have done this without dismissing me with a 'grow-up' or name-calling like peaches?

P.S RE: Terry - I concur entirely but that doesn't really affect my opinion on Suarez

I find labelling Suarez a "racist" to be immature and simplistic is all. Not just by you, but by the whole of football. The way he has been treated in england is deplorable.

Its cool you disagree.I don't blame you. Suarez is that type of player... polarizing.

You haven't said much on who you support.... Leeds? Always need more fans on the board

toadie_uk

Reaction score
I'm at Uni in Leeds and work for Leeds United but my heart belongs to Bolton! Peaches - there's a difference between a short, if slightly disparaging comment and calling someone a twat... We're all #12s here and I don't expect to be sworn at for raising an opinion

Uncle Si

Reaction score
toadie_uk":3i30yjfb said:
I'm at Uni in Leeds and work for Leeds United but my heart belongs to Bolton! Peaches - there's a difference between a short, if slightly disparaging comment and calling someone a twat... We're all #12s here and I don't expect to be sworn at for raising an opinion

Racist is a pretty strong term. A bit more than slightly disparaging. You can undertsand that I'm sure.

Some big changes at Leeds these days no? and Bolton huh? What's the thoughts over there on the return of Stuart Holden? I know he's on loan right now but are they interested in his return?

(I feel like we can all agree to call Johnny Evans a few slightly disparaging things)

toadie_uk

Reaction score
Yes but my comments were aimed at a celebrity pro footballer, his were aimed at me... That's not equal

Funnily enough I was chatting with Stuart Holden today because Leeds played Sheff Wednesday and I was working.
Says he'll be fully fit for the playoffs with Bolton with makes me happy... It's no coincidence our downturn in fortune came after that prick Evans screwed him up.

Things are looking up at LUFC too McDermott seems to have his head screwed on the right way

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'll be the first to say it...

indefensible. disgraceful. let us all down today. I don't know if I should laugh or just bury my head in my hands. Brilliant assist, a little gnaw, and then a 96th minute equalizer

this may have been his last game in Liverpool red (and that would suck)

Game pretty much incapsulates our season. Domination, self destruction, salvation.. all in one game.

F--- it... atleast noones talking about rafa