Tiger Woods may be disqualified from the Masters

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13

• Looks like ESPN just picked this up too, although not on the front page or on TV yet.

Surprising that Tiger wouldn't know the rule there. His comment sure makes it sound like he didn't know the rule (why would he say that he dropped it two yards back if he did know the rule?), rather than trying to get away with something.

I almost always root against Tiger, but it's more interesting when he's playing.

It's also surprising that this took so long to get out, if it's even an issue. The PGA has had issues in the past with viewers calling in to report tiny issues they've noticed, things like a club grazing a branch or some debris on a backswing. As popular as Tiger is, it seems like this would have come out within minutes of it happening if it was a real violation.
    Last edited by Rat on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Thanks for the heads up.

I read up on it and I guess it has to do with signing an incorrect scorecard which is an automatic disqualification. To me if the official following him didn't notice and point it out they should just penalize him later when they find out. I don't think that's how it works though so he has a good chance of being disqualified.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• He got a 2-stroke penalty. Apparently there was a rules change last year that gave the committee some leeway it situations like this.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Breaking News ‏@BreakingNews 11m
    Tiger Woods given 2-shot penalty for an incorrect drop shot during 2nd round on Friday - @BBCSport

Watch him still win this thing. That'd be awesome.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Rules are rules, but it would suck to see him disqualified. Smart move by the PTB to allow the leniency. If Tiger makes the cut, it will be great for ratings. :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• What stinks is that was an incredibly good shot that could have left him with an easy bird. It was a 4 shot swing on a beautiful shot.

Golf's rules are really rarely about justice.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• If this had been Thobjorn Olesen or DA Points instead of Tiger Woods, I wonder if it would still be a two-stroke penalty, or whether they would have been disqualified.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Rat wrote:If this had been Thobjorn Olesen or DA Points instead of Tiger Woods, I wonder if it would still be a two-stroke penalty, or whether they would have been disqualified.

They probably wouldnt have cared and not given them a penalty at all. Tiger didnt get an advantage from this at all
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• leaders startin to feel it? cabrera in the drink...
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

• Rat wrote:If this had been Thobjorn Olesen or DA Points instead of Tiger Woods, I wonder if it would still be a two-stroke penalty, or whether they would have been disqualified.

This. Should have been a disqualification. Different rules for different players, I guess.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• The plot thickens. According to some photos, he dropped the ball within inches of where he hit his previous shot. There should never have been a confession or penalty.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• This argument was so dumb. He knew there was a review going on, however was told by a Masters official that is was ok. If this was anyone else everyone would have said it's a fair ruling.

Also this is obvisouly inconclusive but take it FWIW.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

• Golf's rules have needed a revamp for a long time, many of the rules punish things that have no obvious advantage.

As for those claiming Tiger got preferred treatment, I'd say the photos above show he actually got screwed. The fact that on course officials can be over ridden hours later because of a viewer call in is arbitrary and overly penal. How would you like it if bad calls by football officials could be changed hours later, after the game was over?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• They had a whole interview about this on Sunday morning where the official in charge of the committee explained why he wasn't disqualified but it basically boiled down to they didn't catch it in time and after a certain point they have certified his round and they have a rule against altering that decision once it was made. Their rules are so convoluted it's nuts. With all of the electronic surveillance going on around these guys I'm not sure why they have to keep a manual score card anyway. Seems a bit outdated.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• Scottemojo wrote:How would you like it if bad calls by football officials could be changed hours later, after the game was over?

If that could happen, we'd still be celebrating our Super Bowl XL victory.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• There should have be an official out there helping him with where he should hit it. Bullshit move by the Masters.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:There should have be an official out there helping him with where he should hit it. Bullshit move by the Masters.

There are officials on every hole. If Tiger had asked for help, he would have gotten it.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• SonicHawk wrote:There should have be an official out there helping him with where he should hit it. Bullshit move by the Masters.

yeah, because the best golfer (nor his caddy) in the world for the last 20 years doesn't know the rules. :sarcasm_off:
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

• For everyone saying he got special treatment I would argue the opposite. I think he got screwed over by the officials' egos; oh Tiger Woods thinks he can get away with this!? We'll show him
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:For everyone saying he got special treatment I would argue the opposite. I think he got screwed over by the officials' egos; oh Tiger Woods thinks he can get away with this!? We'll show him

One of the officials was right there and didn't say a thing at the time except agree with what he did. Nothing was said until some golfer watching on TV questioned it.

ergo: That's why he wasn't DQed for signing a wrong score card. It was correct to his and everyone elses knowledge when he signed it.

And Tex you aren't trying to say all players and officials know all the rules are you? Having been a fast pitch softball and baseball coach can tell you I have seen people who have been in the game 20 years and didn't know all the rules.

Hell we had a former official in our fast pitch softball league trying to field a team using first basemens gloves in the outfield. And got throughly pissed when told him if he didn't get regular gloves for his outfielders he was going to have to forfeit.

Hell I put our ball bag against the backstop for years to stop a ball from going out of play there because that's a 2 base throwing error. It got hit several times, knocking the ball back into the field of play and play continued no one being the wiser. A classic example of a play being accepted because not everyone read the rule book like I did all the time. :D

No one knows all the rules and the reason so many officials are scattered on the course is to prevent things like that from happening. The guy on the spot took none of the blame tho he should have. If he knew the rules things would have stopped, done it correctly and who knows what that drop and 2 shots would have done.

:les:
    Please God, give us some football,,,quickly!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• The Radish wrote:
    And Tex you aren't trying to say all players and officials know all the rules are you? Having been a fast pitch softball and baseball coach can tell you I have seen people who have been in the game 20 years and didn't know all the rules.

Hell we had a former official in our fast pitch softball league trying to field a team using first basemens gloves in the outfield. And got throughly pissed when told him if he didn't get regular gloves for his outfielders he was going to have to forfeit.

Hell I put our ball bag against the backstop for years to stop a ball from going out of play there because that's a 2 base throwing error. It got hit several times, knocking the ball back into the field of play and play continued no one being the wiser. A classic example of a play being accepted because not everyone read the rule book like I did all the time. :D

No one knows all the rules and the reason so many officials are scattered on the course is to prevent things like that from happening. The guy on the spot took none of the blame tho he should have. If he knew the rules things would have stopped, done it correctly and who knows what that drop and 2 shots would have done.

:les:

You're really not comparing people that "play" softball with the #1 golfer in the world are you?

Do I expect all golfers to know the rules? No. (you are allowed to carry the rule book with you.)

Would I expect the number 1 "professional" golfer in the world to know the rules? Yes. Not knowing (and verbally admitting his actions, which clearly showed his intent, to go back 2 yards) cost him $112,000. Not much impact on him, but it likely took away his chance at a major. Had he been 2 strokes closer, all others would have had a tad more pressure to overcome.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information