Richard Sherman: I was misquoted

bestfightstory

Reaction score
hawk45":21285sm1 said:
We can support the guy , warts and all, without deluding ourselves.

Exactly.

(Or maybe you secretly wish we had Kelly Jennings back.... Yeah, that's it!!!!)

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
gspin2k1":2mjjw3p8 said:
Zebulon Dak":2mjjw3p8 said:
They got flagged 15 yards for doing that dance this season. What a bunch of BS.

Why again did they start throwing penalties for "excessive celebration"?

Well they have to be mindful of the other players' feelings.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying anyone is "out to get" sherman, but when Sherman says "half of nfl players" we all realize (because we're not stupid) that he means " a bunch of guys" to illustrate his point of view, and not technically and explicitly "HALF, 50.000000 %".

Apparently the media is stupid, because immediately run with stories trying to make it sound like Professor Sherman's Expert Diagnosis is 50 point zero zero percent of NFL players are on adderall. That's what the headlines said, and that's what the articles focused on. That is the issue. Nobody is saying 'poor richard'.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I interrupt this thread for something that actually matters to football:

WINFIELD TO THE SEAHAWKS!!!

drdiags

Reaction score
The media frenzy was the quote made it sound like half (or a lot) of the NFL players were taking Adderall and because of that, the NFL should allow it. NFL goes ballistic and media frenzy begins. Sherman claims misquote and out of context, when it was out of context.

Given context, his quote doesn't appear to condone and justify Adderall's illegal use that it appeared to at first. Genie is out of the bottle so it doesn't matter. The news cycle dies and for many who are keeping score or details will just remember that Sherman was credited with making a very flamboyant statement.

Seems the Seahawks had him in Vancouver doing a PR event for them. Their PR department has to be more diligent and set some boundaries on what he was there for and what questions were off-limits.

Sherman is going to get paid by someone, most believe it to be the Seahawks. He and his brother need to remember that players are not going to get paid for on-field activities only. They don't want him being compared to DeAngelo Hall, T.O or Ochocinco. He will get paid but maybe not as much as he should if he cannot draw a line. Not shut up but does he want to become James Harrison in the eyes of the league? And could it hurt his value in the future?

There are no right or wrong answers here. I understand both sides of the argument and respect the poster's point of view on this topic. At first it seemed his voice and outrage reflected the opinion of those who got tired of Dallas, Jets and Patriots being forced down one's throat on a loop. A finger to the big boys. The Adderall issue took it to a new level and since then a divide on how lovable he is to fans began. Will be interesting to see how things go forward come next season and eventually attempting to re-sign him.

But then again, as my good bud once told me on this forum "Who Cares?". So none of this really matters anyway according to some of our more enlightened posters.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1n32fisf said:
Hawkfan77":1n32fisf said:
bestfightstory":1n32fisf said:
Sherm is a victim!!!!

Mean drug testers!

Mean gotcha journalists!

Mean Roddy White!

Mean Skip Bayless!

Mean pee gatherers!

Mean misquoters!

Who couldn't see this coming?

Someone misses the Ruskell choir boy days... :roll:

Someone else can't form an original thought... :roll: FUN with emoticons! Wheeee!!

No one cares about your constant whining, that's all I'm saying

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":32edhtlj said:
bestfightstory":32edhtlj said:
Hawkfan77":32edhtlj said:
Someone misses the Ruskell choir boy days... :roll:

Someone else can't form an original thought... :roll: FUN with emoticons! Wheeee!!

No one cares about your constant whining, that's all I'm saying

No one, huh? Damn. Well the next time the board holds an election for 'Everyone Spokesperson' they might wanna elect somebody smart enough to get that across in less than 2 posts.

hawk45

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2btzwfqi said:
I don't think anyone is saying anyone is "out to get" sherman, but when Sherman says "half of nfl players" we all realize (because we're not stupid) that he means " a bunch of guys" to illustrate his point of view, and not technically and explicitly "HALF, 50.000000 %".

Apparently the media is stupid, because immediately run with stories trying to make it sound like Professor Sherman's Expert Diagnosis is 50 point zero zero percent of NFL players are on adderall. That's what the headlines said, and that's what the articles focused on. That is the issue. Nobody is saying 'poor richard'.

Okay if you say so. I think there are plenty acting like the media is out to get Sherman on this thread.

And acting surprised and butthurt on Sherm's behalf when his own antics make him a target is indeed implying "Poor Richard" and that's exactly what's going on.

Again, love the guy, just puzzled by the level of delusion going on here that the media are after Sherm after he made himself a target.

The Radish

Reaction score
ok BFS and hawkfan77

Could you two please take your school yard 4th grade bickering somewhere else?

No reason the entire site has to witness your personal brand of manure.

:141847_bnono:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1ymgsml1 said:
seahawksflow":1ymgsml1 said:
So he claims he was misquoted, then the newspaper comes back with video evidence that he was not.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
Sounds to me like 'misquoted' might not be the right word, but they did take it out of context. The way it's presented in that video and the original article that the reporter released don't come across the same way. 'Journalism' at it's finest.

Here's the snippet they quoted him for:

“About half the league takes it [Adderall] and the league has to allow it,” Sherman said. “The league made a mistake in my case. Obviously, I didn’t do anything, but you have to go through a process to prove you didn’t do anything. There are still naysayers out there who don’t believe me. But I accept it. If everybody loves you, it probably means you’re not much of a player.”

Mentions nothing about those players having a prescription, when framed in reference to the question the reporter asked, his answer doesn't mean nearly the same thing it is portrayed as.
In this instance, Sherm deserves the benefit of the doubt. "Misquote" usually mean to quote incorrectly, but it can also mean to misuse a quote. Technically, they got the words he spoke in the right order, but the fact that they missed so badly on the context means, IMO, that to call what happened "misquoted" is not being inaccurate.

Of course, Sherm isn't going to get any benefit of any doubt. But he still deserves it.

hawk45

Reaction score
ITA that Sherm should get the benefit of the doubt in this situation. He's not going to get now, or ever, unfortunately and that's mainly his doing.

What I like about Sherm is that he's the sort of stud who will respond well to the additional pressure that's being placed on him. Talk all the trash you like Sherm, as long as you continue to be the anti-Kelly Jennings.

BASF

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3cs5pldy said:
gspin2k1":3cs5pldy said:
But given how tight he is with the LOB, I think there's no signs of any potential issues in that regard.

Tumblr ml4lth0EJ01rs13bbo1 400

Now I know they are both crazy. How can anyone enjoy themselves at a Mariners game?

Hawkaholic

Reaction score
I heard that it is kind of common for players to take adderall on Sundays. The drug only stays in your system less than 48 hours and most players aren't drug tested on Mondays after games. So the risk is smaller than other days of the week. Unlucky for our boys and other players. They were chosen to pee on Monday instead of Tuesday.

OP
OP
G

gspin2k1

Reaction score
BASF":1hrq7uci said:
Zebulon Dak":1hrq7uci said:
gspin2k1":1hrq7uci said:
But given how tight he is with the LOB, I think there's no signs of any potential issues in that regard.

Tumblr ml4lth0EJ01rs13bbo1 400

Now I know they are both crazy. How can anyone enjoy themselves at a Mariners game?

Best seats in the house, free custom $300+ jerseys. Why not dance? lol

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Richard Sherman is like a skinny, smart version of Charles Barkley. That is all.

Latest posts