Richard Sherman: I was misquoted

JesterHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":ulb9a79y said:
Rocket":ulb9a79y said:
A wise man once said "discretion is the better part of valor" and it seems to apply here.
Sherm... hush. Just hush. Really.

I'm with Rocket here. If you're going to open your big mouth you'd better have some backup other than "I was misquoted". That truly sucks and sounds like the same story he told about drugs.

This drug deal, if he wants to say it seems to him half the league is using alderal fine. But to state it as fact, better have proof.

Make comments about other players, if you're in danger of being misquoted then make comments that aren't "iffy" and whine about it later.

He can say anything he wants but should understand lots of people won't take his word for it and he needs to be sure of his facts and the backup for them.

A player like him can't make outragous statements and then come with with "Oh the devil made me do that" as an excuse cause that just sounds like backtracking attempts.

:roll:

I disagree completely. I think the onus is on the journalist to have some integrity and print the comments in context. He was answering a question and the interviewer brought up players who have prescriptions for Adderall and Sherman said "Yeah, about half the league uses it". I'm not seeing how this is Sherman trying to out anyone. This is just more garbage journalism for shock value and it's a despicable practice by people who know better.

Cartire

Reaction score
gspin2k1":374xou97 said:
Cartire":374xou97 said:
gspin2k1":374xou97 said:

There is going to be a point though in the NFL where Sherman just hits Paris Hilton status, and people are going to be completely sick of anything having to do with him.

That is completely utter nonsense. Paris Hilton has done absolutely nothing for mankind except co-exist and take up oxygen. Sherman is a humanitarian and an amazing athlete. I see zero comparison and you should be banned for 24 hours for just making this ridiculous comparison.

When I wrote Paris Hilton status, I meant it more in regards where she was ALWAYS in the news over something she did or said that was bad. And eventually people just stopped wanting to hear/read anything about her. Not comparing them as actual people.

That's what I'm saying about Sherman. Let's face it outside of Seahawk news, the only thing that actually makes national media attention in regards to Sherman is always something bad that he's said or done (nothing like committing crimes, but you know like that whole Tom Brady or Skip Bayless confrontation). Bottomline is really the only people who like Sherman are the Seahawk fans (myself included) and even then there are a lot of us (just look at this board) who want him to just shut up. But the media keeps showcasing articles about him that are negative, so again it's going to reach a point where eventually everyone (the general public OUTSIDE of Seahawk fans) is just going to want to hear/see/read nothing about him....despite his amazing athletic abilities.

As for seeing me as needing to be banned because I have an opinion that doesn't match yours, well thankfully your not a moderator. Because that sure wouldn't promote any actual discussions on these boards now would it?

I apologize, I was more annoyed with a derail of one of my other topics. I meant that more as annoyed jibbing then actual application of banning. However, all I see is people screaming for Sherman just to shut up. But its not his fault that the media has literately set out to make him a sideshow act. The bad boy of the NFL. Even with his countless good deeds, far more then you ever see or hear other big name athletes doing (not all, but a great majority of them), he gets every word he says dissected and only the few misspoken words as "BREAKING NEWS!! NFL.COM/ESPN: SHERMAN ACTS LIKE A JACKASS AGAIN!!!"

Its nothing more then a character they have built, and yet we want to blame Sherman for this. We yell at him and tell him to get out the limelight. Well then that includes telling him to give up on his charitable work as well, because thats where all these soundbites come from. Quick interviews, and quotes taken out of context. You're right, he wasnt misquoted. But the entire quote wasnt given, because he clearly was talking about people with prescriptions. He wasnt talking about people taking it illegally. And both the NFL and mass media markets went nuts on the baseless Idea that he was meaning illegally. Just because the journalist didnt want to show the whole qoute.

We need to stop telling Sherman to quit, and stop being so enthralled by stupid reporting.

Giedi

Reaction score
Cartire":v6puhv8f said:
gspin2k1":v6puhv8f said:
Cartire":v6puhv8f said:
When I wrote Paris Hilton status, I meant it more in regards where she was ALWAYS in the news over something she did or said that was bad. And eventually people just stopped wanting to hear/read anything about her. Not comparing them as actual people.

That's what I'm saying about Sherman. Let's face it outside of Seahawk news, the only thing that actually makes national media attention in regards to Sherman is always something bad that he's said or done (nothing like committing crimes, but you know like that whole Tom Brady or Skip Bayless confrontation). Bottomline is really the only people who like Sherman are the Seahawk fans (myself included) and even then there are a lot of us (just look at this board) who want him to just shut up. But the media keeps showcasing articles about him that are negative, so again it's going to reach a point where eventually everyone (the general public OUTSIDE of Seahawk fans) is just going to want to hear/see/read nothing about him....despite his amazing athletic abilities.

As for seeing me as needing to be banned because I have an opinion that doesn't match yours, well thankfully your not a moderator. Because that sure wouldn't promote any actual discussions on these boards now would it?

I apologize, I was more annoyed with a derail of one of my other topics. I meant that more as annoyed jibbing then actual application of banning. However, all I see is people screaming for Sherman just to shut up. But its not his fault that the media has literately set out to make him a sideshow act. The bad boy of the NFL. Even with his countless good deeds, far more then you ever see or hear other big name athletes doing (not all, but a great majority of them), he gets every word he says dissected and only the few misspoken words as "BREAKING NEWS!! NFL.COM/ESPN: SHERMAN ACTS LIKE A JACKASS AGAIN!!!"

Its nothing more then a character they have built, and yet we want to blame Sherman for this. We yell at him and tell him to get out the limelight. Well then that includes telling him to give up on his charitable work as well, because thats where all these soundbites come from. Quick interviews, and quotes taken out of context. You're right, he wasnt misquoted. But the entire quote wasnt given, because he clearly was talking about people with prescriptions. He wasnt talking about people taking it illegally. And both the NFL and mass media markets went nuts on the baseless Idea that he was meaning illegally. Just because the journalist didnt want to show the whole qoute.

We need to stop telling Sherman to quit, and stop being so enthralled by stupid reporting.

All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.

Cartire

Reaction score
Giedi":33iw36ik said:
All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.

So a guy whos lives and breathes football, and is amazing at it, cant talk about it because the other side are jackasses. We are once again, punishing the wrong side here. This is whats wrong with us, we punish the wrong sides; cause its the easier choice, not the right one.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Is Sherman supposed to know a "journalist" would take his answers and lay them out completely out of context to make Sherm look bad? You can ask a dozen simple questions about nothing and frame it to make the answers look a certain way.

I agree with Cartire...the outrage should be against the "journalist" not Sherman. Because when laid out exactly as the interview went, Sherman's answer was perfectly fine. There's tons of people with prescriptions for Adderall. It's nothing new.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Giedi":23mi51np said:

Why should he? He has as much right to speak as the rest of the league. It's not his fault sports writers have no scruples.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Giedi":13acuk8p said:

Headline: Sherman side-steps questions about possible Adderall abuse
"I"m only taking questions on my charity, and wont take qustions on anything NFL related," he said, refusing to address questions about accusations of illicit Adderall use

What incredible journalism! Sherman should learn to keep his big mouth shut!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bakergirl":1hinllze said:
Giedi":1hinllze said:

Why should he? He has as much right to speak as the rest of the league. It's not his fault sports writers have no scruples.

How dare they quote him on exactly what he said! Damn you journalist!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Should he keep his mouth shut and just play the game? Sure. That's what everybody should do.

Am I glad he's not doing that? Damn skippy. We as Seahawks fans haven't had a polarizing personality like this on the squad since the Boz. If it keeps us in opposing teams mouths then that means we're in opposing teams heads and that's a good thing. As long as he can avoid doing anything detrimental like getting in actual trouble or causing a rift in the locker room I'm all for it.

OP
OP
G

gspin2k1

Reaction score
Cartire":1ieirwf0 said:

No worries. Sherman is in a state (or at least publicly states) that he doesn't care what other people think, so he's going to be Sherman. But at the same time yeah anything bad he does say is going to be overblown, meanwhile anything good he does is going to go somewhat unnoticed. Is it fair, not really. But at the same time, he did kind of start it, or at least decided to go with it. Ah well.

Zebulon Dak":1ieirwf0 said:
Should he keep his mouth shut and just play the game? Sure. That's what everybody should do.

Am I glad he's not doing that? Damn skippy. We as Seahawks fans haven't had a polarizing personality like this on the squad since the Boz. If it keeps us in opposing teams mouths then that means we're in opposing teams heads and that's a good thing. As long as he can avoid doing anything detrimental like getting in actual trouble or causing a rift in the locker room I'm all for it.

^ agree with above. Yeah really hope he doesnt cause a rift in the locker room. But given how tight he is with the LOB, I think there's no signs of any potential issues in that regard.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3afgyb13 said:

Agreed.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
They got flagged 15 yards for doing that dance this season. What a bunch of BS.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bestfightstory":do1xr78g said:
Sherm is a victim!!!!

Mean drug testers!

Mean gotcha journalists!

Mean Roddy White!

Mean Skip Bayless!

Mean pee gatherers!

Mean misquoters!

Who couldn't see this coming?

Someone misses the Ruskell choir boy days... :roll:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":38kt218q said:
Giedi":38kt218q said:

Headline: Sherman side-steps questions about possible Adderall abuse
"I"m only taking questions on my charity, and wont take qustions on anything NFL related," he said, refusing to address questions about accusations of illicit Adderall use

What incredible journalism! Sherman should learn to keep his big mouth shut!
Hahaha, best reply of this entire thread!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25rr9vpk said:
Bakergirl":25rr9vpk said:
Giedi":25rr9vpk said:

How dare they quote him on exactly what he said! Damn you journalist!

But framed the conversation to make him say something entirely different. Context is important.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
hy·per·bo·le [hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA
noun Rhetoric .
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

Journalists and writers do this all the time, but if Sherman does it and is quoted, he obviously meant it for fact.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1pwblqar said:
bestfightstory":1pwblqar said:
Sherm is a victim!!!!

Mean drug testers!

Mean gotcha journalists!

Mean Roddy White!

Mean Skip Bayless!

Mean pee gatherers!

Mean misquoters!

Who couldn't see this coming?

Someone misses the Ruskell choir boy days... :roll:

Someone else can't form an original thought... :roll: FUN with emoticons! Wheeee!!

hawk45

Reaction score
LMAO at folks claiming the mean old writers are out to get him. At this point they may very well be, but he's finding out what other lightning rods have found out (TO, Ocho Cinco, etc.) which is that after you launch a few missiles, reporters start to seek you out because if they can get you slip up it's news. Let's be fair here, they're targeting him because he's deliberately made himself a target, with all of the good and bad consequences that attach to that.

Now I'm no defender of that particular aspect of the media, but Mr. Stanford Grad surely understands the implications of the way he's chosen to market himself and its pitfalls. He doesn't need us holding his banner.

Now I flipping love Sherman and I know Pete and JS do too and don't give a rip about any of this, so it's never going to cause any problems here, but everyone gets to draw their own line as to where his er...quotability... starts to become annoying. For me we're just about there, but I'll take 20 times the annoyance from a guy who emerged out of nowhere to be what he is on the field.

If Sherman is receiving extra attention, negative or positive, it's exactly what he was asking for. We can support the guy , warts and all, without deluding ourselves.

OP
OP
G

gspin2k1

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3nc7ikca said:
They got flagged 15 yards for doing that dance this season. What a bunch of BS.

Why again did they start throwing penalties for "excessive celebration"?

Latest posts