Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeak

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3elhtki5 said:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.

The NFC Championship game............

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkFan72":y3ti9qcd said:
RichNhansom":y3ti9qcd said:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.

Were there any games where Trufant directly led us to a loss?

I know he had some really bad plays throughout the year, but I never pinned any of the losses directly on him.

That can be said for any player due to it being a team game and not an individual sport. As an individual player though he was horrible. Go back and watch him give up plays to everyone he lined up against.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1laeq44n said:
HawkFan72":1laeq44n said:
RichNhansom":1laeq44n said:

Were there any games where Trufant directly led us to a loss?

I know he had some really bad plays throughout the year, but I never pinned any of the losses directly on him.

That can be said for any player due to it being a team game and not an individual sport. As an individual player though he was horrible. Go back and watch him give up plays to everyone he lined up against.

On one of the KJR shows, it told how many targets Trufaunt had and what the Opponents QB rating was. Trufant was targeted IIRC 40+ last year and surrendered a 90+ QB rating on those plays.

Meanwhile Winfield was targeted in the top 5 most targets last year and the QB rating on those plays was in the low 70's. Winfield would present a HUGE upgrade over Trufant. It's too bad we couldn't trust a younger player last year to play in those situations, that experience would be invaluable this year.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bigcc":1mceevnt said:
DavidSeven":1mceevnt said:
RichNhansom":1mceevnt said:

That's hard to say. First, Winfield is solid in coverage but by no means elite or "lock down." Also, many could legitimately argue that the lack of pass rush was the primary culprit in those losses.

It would be better to look at losses where we were hurt by the opponent's run game, because that's where Winfield honestly excels.

loss vs. SF they had 175 yards rushing averaging 5.5 ypc
loss vs. MIA they had 189 rushing yards averaging 6.8 ypc

two losses directly due to the run game right there

He definitely would've helped against Bush. I feel like Winfield is built to tackle backs with elusive ability like that. He probably would've helped against Gore, too since I think Gore's compact size makes him tough to tackle.

Ultimately, though, I think the lack of a consistent pass rush was key in the losses against Detroit, Miami and Atlanta. If you look at the New England and Washington games, the difference was the ability to get to the quarterback on the final drives.

Not to say we couldn't use an upgrade at nickel back. We do. I just don't think you can hang our losses completely on that position.

bigcc

Reaction score
DavidSeven":gc4cccei said:
He definitely would've helped against Bush. I feel like Winfield is built to tackle backs with elusive ability like that. He probably would've helped against Gore, too since I think Gore's compact size makes him tough to tackle.

Ultimately, though, I think the lack of a consistent pass rush was key in the losses against Detroit, Miami and Atlanta. If you look at the New England and Washington games, the difference was the ability to get to the quarterback on the final drives.

Not to say we couldn't use an upgrade at nickel back. We do. I just don't think you can hang our losses completely on that position.

Agreed, sorry if I came off sounding that way, pass rush was CLEARLY the number one priority heading into the offseason, but with that handled I feel like DT/ a nickel CB are by far the biggest needs we have left.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I know he's a good player, but the 35 year old Winfield is making this seem like a Peyton Manning type acquisition.

bryantology79

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3aszbgf2 said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22058500/redskins-seahawks-or-vikings-antoine-winfield-likely-to-make-decisions-soon

"Winfield realizes that while he can take his time making a decision, and no one is rushing him, at some point he will need to pick a team and get going with their program. Those close to him expect that decision to come this weekend."

STOP TEASIN ME!!!!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
IMO in winfield you get a guy who's not going to make a brain-fart mistake at a critical moment, that's why I'm all for this move.

Even though I feel like Jeremy Lane has a lot of promise...I don't trust him yet in those critical moments where a veteran has seen this thing thousands of times.

I would love to see us split time with thurmond/lane/winfield.

Thurmond could be good but who knows. Jeremy Lane is a big play guy, he could be our Jordan Babineaux. Winfield in there when the game is on the line to not let a bone head mistake take place.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Not hanging losses on a player or position. Simply referring to upgraded play that reduces the amount Brady targets Welker over the middle, Turner having a season best game, Stafford abusing the middle, not blitzing from the LB spot to protect the middle and like was said of the SanFran and Miami games having RB's go off on us.

The benefit of Winfield is he helps in all those areas and considering how close every game was he might have been the difference maker in several of those games.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Is Lane really a prospect as a nickel corner? It seems they like him a lot as depth behind Browner/Sherman at the outside corner positions, but perhaps Maxwell more in covering the slot. I think Thurmond can be great in that position, but obviously his ability to stay on the field is a legitimate concern at this point.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Right Rob...Winfield ain't coming to Seattle. Time to talk draft for depth and "that" player. :)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
You silly people.

Speculation = no news
Rumor = no news
No news = no news

You can't read between the lines when there are no lines.

(And making up your own lines doesn't count.)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Think of it this way.

Winfield would be the biggest upgrade possible in a definite position of need.

He would push the Hawks D over the top of the Whiners D.

I believe that he alone could very well result in the Hawks offense having one additional possession per game over what they achieved last year.

That's HUGE, especially with what we expect to happen with Russell totally unleashed for the full season.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
Just sayin....Tyrann Matheiu has potential to be a younger quicker and better playmaker version of winfield...IFF he pans out. If its a position of need..if they miss out on winfield...still hope to draft Tyrann.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Shadyhawk182":16k39mcb said:
Just sayin....Tyrann Matheiu has potential to be a younger quicker and better playmaker version of winfield...IFF he pans out. If its a position of need..if they miss out on winfield...still hope to draft Tyrann.
I was definitely hoping the same. I figure he would go 3/4th round so we have a shot. And you know JS/PC like unique skillsets and can handle off field stuff or don't hold it against a player with a checkered past.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Janoris Jenkins worked out pretty well for St. Louis, and he was also a knucklehead in college. Matheiu seems like a pretty good fit skill wise considering Seattle's needs at slot CB and punt returner. But who could guess with this FO's unpredictability on draft day?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
There is that. Also they very well may just let Percy be the KR/PR guy but it would sure be nice to pick up someone else to do it. Janoris Jenkins was a steal and I think Tyrann is going to be in the same vein. It isn't like a good majority of people don't at least dabble in marijuana smoking. It tells you something good when a guy can stop that path and rededicate themselves.

hawk45

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2clxutsp said:
There is that. Also they very well may just let Percy be the KR/PR guy but it would sure be nice to pick up someone else to do it. Janoris Jenkins was a steal and I think Tyrann is going to be in the same vein. It isn't like a good majority of people don't at least dabble in marijuana smoking. It tells you something good when a guy can stop that path and rededicate themselves.

Except that nobody knows he's actually stopped that path for good. At this point all that is known is that it's a guy with a history of self-destructive behaviors. And a majority of folks may have "dabbled" but a majority do not continue on after repeated failed drug tests start jeopardizing their future.

I'll roll with whatever Schneider wants to do but let's call it what it is: dumpster-diving for a steal. Let's not go convincing ourselves that a history of drug abuse is somehow a strength here. People made the same statements about Mike Williams, and after a year of a resurgence, the guy slid right back into irrelevance, illustrating the notion that a history of failing to live up to your potential weighs a lot more heavily than momentary flashes of "rededication." Nothing against BMW by the way I liked the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts