What was the reason the Seahawks didn't sign Brian Banks?

ensett

Reaction score
I doubt the guy will ever be on an NFL roster. Going from Highschool to jail to NFL years later with little playing, experience, proper conditioning or coaching in between, is a long shot at best

mikeak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":elw1e1ek said:
I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.

Yeah cause if you just spent 10 years in prison for something that you didn't do the first thing I am sure you want to do is to leave the country - your family that you are just getting to see again - and go to Canada and maybe make some money. This compared to staying closer to home trying it out in the UFL and building that strenght. Also knowing that you can get onto the NFL roster in the off-season (like now) then you will have the best equipment, the best trainers and the best facilities to work out in which is the best way to maximize any chance that may exist for you to actually make it to the NFL.

If Brian Banks had gone to the CFL last year then I am pretty sure he would have ended up nowhere. Now he can build up in the offseason and maybe get close (I don't think he lasts on the 53-man roster for Atlanta - Jacksonville maybe but not Atlanta) and THEN if he fails he will be much more prepared for the CFL and try to sign there and actually get playing time and try again for the NFL next year.

Will it all pan out - who knows but sticking around the NFL is to me the significantly better option and I think he will be hired into one of the offices if the playing never gets started.

I like the fact that the league looks out for one of their own that was completely innocent. This isn't a robber that got caught for the wrong robbery...........

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1e5lljro said:
And he could be awful.

or he could be great

or he could be average

or he could be a good special teams guy

or he could be a good practice squad guy

or he could go through another training camp and just not make the cut

Either way whether or not you "like" stories, it's still a great opportunity for a guy who was in prison a few years ago, captain negativity. Pretty sure a lot of people here would have loved to have had the chance to wash out of an NFL training camp. And I'm pretty sure not many people here spent 5 years in the joint for a crime they didn't commit. So whether or not you "like" stories, it's already a good one, does it really bother you that much?

mikeak

Reaction score
AVL":3tg1gkkl said:
Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?

He isn't a guy that had problems that got caught for the wrong crime. He is a football player that was known for being a football player. He was going to be a star and he got singled out most likely because of being a football player (I know the NCAA likes to call them student athletes but lets be honest here).

The game of football and those involved in it that have a chance to make things slightly less wrong (because it can never be made right here) are stepping up to the plate. The sports media, the NFL, agents etc everyone should and are doing the right thing for this person. That is all that matters

CANHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":12ztb2y5 said:
Scottemojo":12ztb2y5 said:
I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.

Yeah cause if you just spent 10 years in prison for something that you didn't do the first thing I am sure you want to do is to leave the country - your family that you are just getting to see again - and go to Canada and maybe make some money. This compared to staying closer to home trying it out in the UFL and building that strenght. Also knowing that you can get onto the NFL roster in the off-season (like now) then you will have the best equipment, the best trainers and the best facilities to work out in which is the best way to maximize any chance that may exist for you to actually make it to the NFL.

If Brian Banks had gone to the CFL last year then I am pretty sure he would have ended up nowhere. Now he can build up in the offseason and maybe get close (I don't think he lasts on the 53-man roster for Atlanta - Jacksonville maybe but not Atlanta) and THEN if he fails he will be much more prepared for the CFL and try to sign there and actually get playing time and try again for the NFL next year.

Will it all pan out - who knows but sticking around the NFL is to me the significantly better option and I think he will be hired into one of the offices if the playing never gets started.

I like the fact that the league looks out for one of their own that was completely innocent. This isn't a robber that got caught for the wrong robbery...........

Dude, he's not suggesting he go play in Belarus. I've known people who commute to the states from here. If he actually got on in Atlanta, that's something like 2,000 miles from his home in LA. If he got on in like Buffalo or something it's even farther. There are 5 teams in the CFL that are geographically closer to LA than Atlanta with direct flights to LA from all of them. The whole "Canada's too far from his family" arguement is just ignorant. Are you Steve Francis? Did God tell him not to play in Canada? Sucka please...

The second bolded part is just funny. Hired into a league office doing what exactly? Doesn't he only have like a grade 11 education? Or one of those highly respected prision GEDs? Are they going to get him a job makin' copaaaays? :34853_doh:

mikeak

Reaction score
^ Yes I think they will hire him to make copies if that is all he can do. If he is on a roster he takes up a spot and a minimum salary. If an owner wants to simply give him money he can't do it putting the kid on the team because it directly hurts the team (unless he makes the team on his own merit). For a billionaire to put him in the front office doing WHATEVER doesn't hurt the team and I would not be surprised to see it.

In regards to travel - the point was in regards to LAST YEAR. When he went to VEGAS to play which is close to home. I stated try to make the NFL this year or then go to Canada. I just fully understand why he didn't go to Canada last year.

Living in Buffalo working in Canada is one thing. Kind of not what was being discussed here.....

Rat

Reaction score
Pete seems to be Banks' biggest fan. I'll bet he really, really wanted to bring Banks back in, but didn't want him to waste his time, and his shot at landing on a roster, if he didn't think there was a realistic chance of him making the Seahawks roster.

Great story; if he makes a team, there will be a big-budget film made about his life. Unfortunately, he's just got too much to overcome from a football standpoint. I'd be surprised if he ever makes a roster, but I hope he can sneak onto a practice squad (which is probably best case scenario), or spend some time in the CFL, where he can at least make a respectable living (I have no clue how much CFL players make; based on nothing, I'm guessing it's roughly WNBA money).

CANHawk

Reaction score
Rat":2qbyq2ks said:
(I have no clue how much CFL players make; based on nothing, I'm guessing it's roughly WNBA money).

Stars can make million dollar contracts, but on an annual basis, those salaries work out to be like $450-$500k ish. I believe league minimum is something like $45k/year. I think the average salary is something like $75-80k. Starters are probably about $100k/year.

It's funny, when I was a kid I remember the BC Lions had a really good tailback named John Volpe. We lost him to a different kind of free agency... he left be become a mortgage broker because he could make more money. LOL. I just looked him up on Wikipedia just now and apparently he's a millionare and owns a successful mortgage company, so I guess he chose well.

When I played in highschool, we had the Lions starting guard come out and help coach our team. He drove a tow truck to supplement his income. And this was a starter! ...though in hindsight, i think he just really enjoyed driving that tow truck.

mikeak

Reaction score
Rat":27wlptln said:
Pete seems to be Banks' biggest fan. I'll bet he really, really wanted to bring Banks back in, but didn't want him to waste his time, and his shot at landing on a roster, if he didn't think there was a realistic chance of him making the Seahawks roster.

Great story; if he makes a team, there will be a big-budget film made about his life. Unfortunately, he's just got too much to overcome from a football standpoint. I'd be surprised if he ever makes a roster, but I hope he can sneak onto a practice squad (which is probably best case scenario), or spend some time in the CFL, where he can at least make a respectable living (I have no clue how much CFL players make; based on nothing, I'm guessing it's roughly WNBA money).

If someone wants to make a movie the "little detail" if he makes it back to the NFL will not matter :). You know that BASED on a true story will make this into a film where at the end he makes the field even if in reality he only made the pre-season roster :).

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
-The Glove-":16973f2h said:
AVL":16973f2h said:
Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?

What a dumb thing to say. Not saying you're dumb. Your entire post is though.

As for Banks, he was nowhere near football shape. The little video they had of him practicing with the team, he was stumbling around and had no legs under him. I'm sure its slowly all coming back to him now. Muscle memory's a fascinating thing.

I didn't know high school jocks and blondes are screwed by the system. The system actually seems to benefit them.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2f5mx79h said:
If I recall, he ran a 4.8 in the 40 recently. Not what we're looking for.

Faster than Manti Teo, even after years of degenerating in prison. Wow, can you imagine what kind of physical talent he had as a high-schooler? No wonder he was a top-10 high school prospect. Obviously, a small percentage of high school stars turn out in college, and even a smaller percentage turn into good NFL players, but he had as good of a chance as anyone. And that was all taken away from him by a lying, money hungry, scandalous teenage girl and her family.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3ux7mvsv said:
Scottemojo":3ux7mvsv said:
And he could be awful.

or he could be great

or he could be average

or he could be a good special teams guy

or he could be a good practice squad guy

or he could go through another training camp and just not make the cut

Either way whether or not you "like" stories, it's still a great opportunity for a guy who was in prison a few years ago, captain negativity. Pretty sure a lot of people here would have loved to have had the chance to wash out of an NFL training camp. And I'm pretty sure not many people here spent 5 years in the joint for a crime they didn't commit. So whether or not you "like" stories, it's already a good one, does it really bother you that much?

I said I hope he makes it. Clearly, my lack of sentimentality is more than balanced out some of the more maudlin members of this board. Shall I get you a tissue?

Simple truth is Pete had him and let him go. Didn't even consider him a practice squader. The coach of some of the best linebackers in the NFL over the last ten years needed only a couple of days to make up his mind. That was enough for me.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2y6wgo59 said:
Simple truth is Pete had him and let him go. Didn't even consider him a practice squader. The coach of some of the best linebackers in the NFL over the last ten years needed only a couple of days to make up his mind. That was enough for me.

That was also a year ago, a year less out of prison. It's entirely possible he's in better shape and more prepared.

I know, I know. "logic". It's a pain in the butt.

I'm not sure what to think of the tissue comment . . . do you have to be a crying emo to appreciate a good story, tough guy?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ensett":zjqc97d2 said:
I doubt the guy will ever be on an NFL roster. Going from Highschool to jail to NFL years later with little playing, experience, proper conditioning or coaching in between, is a long shot at best
That is my thought on the matter but I really hope to be proven wrong.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawknballs":35dsy9aj said:
Scottemojo":35dsy9aj said:

That was also a year ago, a year less out of prison. It's entirely possible he's in better shape and more prepared.

I know, I know. "logic". It's a pain in the butt.

I'm not sure what to think of the tissue comment . . . do you have to be a crying emo to appreciate a good story, tough guy?

Logic: The practice squad is where you put players who will be good in a year. When they are in better shape. And more prepared. Pete didn't do that.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Scottemojo":md9coldw said:
Logic: The practice squad is where you put players who will be good in a year. When they are in better shape. And more prepared. Pete didn't do that.

yes. Players that have also been playing football for the past several years.

Not sitting in a prison cell.

Great logic.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":pxr3kutb said:
Scottemojo":pxr3kutb said:

yes. Players that have also been playing football for the past several years.

Not sitting in a prison cell.

Great logic.

Yeah, well how much time, effort and money are you going to invest in a 27 year old guy who never even played a down of college football? The odds are stacked against him becoming anything more than training camp fodder. Feel good story though it may be, I'd rather our FO and coaching staff make the investment in young guys with potential and a future. Banks' potential should have been realized 2 years ago and by the time he actually gets enough experience to take advantage of whatever potential he has left, he'll be 30+ y/o. No, unfortunately for him, I believe the absolute pinacle of what he can aspire to be in the NFL at this point is training camp fodder.

Sorry Mr. Banks, but life served you a really, really, reeealy shitty hand. My heart bleeds for you, it really does, but the NFL is not a charity. If you are serious about wanting to play professional football sometime before your physically unable to do so, you'd best head north and try to play in the CFL.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I was one of the first people to point out to people when this broke last year that the NFL is not a charity. I took the unpopular stance on the subject that it was unfortunate if it really was a charity case to bring him in because he was taking up a spot that some other young hopeful but not likely to make it athlete could have had on the team.

However I fail to see how everyone here is suddenly such an expert on the guy. "go to canada" sentiment is sort of ignorant seeing as how he's got himself a chance to play in the NFL with the Falcons, despite the opinions of the obvious experts on this thread.

Is it a 'charity' to bring in anyone in the offseason who likely won't make the team? There are going to be guys in camp and who will suit up for preseason games whom won't be on the seahawks squad or practice squad whent he season starts, is that all just 'charity'?

I'm going to go ahead and assume the falcons aren't bringing him in as a useless placeholder.