Video Encouraging Crowd Noise to be allowed now

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159224/article/nfl-teams-permitted-to-use-video-prompts-to-encourage-noise?[/urltargetblank]

The NFL will allow teams to use video scoreboards to encourage crowd noise in stadiums during entire plays.

Although the scoreboards can only use audio prompts until 20 seconds remain on the play clock -- down from 30 seconds -- video prompts now can be used any time.

That's the latest change the league is allowing in an attempt to enhance the fan experience in stadiums. Last week, teams were notified they must place cameras in their locker rooms to provide video only, with the footage being displayed on the video boards and also on team apps.

They thought Century Link was loud before? Just wait until they add a little extra crowd riling into the mix.

Cartire

Reaction score
kidhawk":2vc2cr29 said:
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159224/article/nfl-teams-permitted-to-use-video-prompts-to-encourage-noise?[/urltargetblank]

The NFL will allow teams to use video scoreboards to encourage crowd noise in stadiums during entire plays.

Although the scoreboards can only use audio prompts until 20 seconds remain on the play clock -- down from 30 seconds -- video prompts now can be used any time.

That's the latest change the league is allowing in an attempt to enhance the fan experience in stadiums. Last week, teams were notified they must place cameras in their locker rooms to provide video only, with the footage being displayed on the video boards and also on team apps.

They thought Century Link was loud before? Just wait until they add a little extra crowd riling into the mix.

Yea, im kinda confused by this tactic. It seems like the league is just making it more and more harder for visiting teams, in the hopes of encouraging ticket sales by further increasing home team wins. It feels like fair play is being limited as the opposing team is further gimped by technological achievements. I love loud home team crowd advantages, but I do think that having stadiums 'assist' in that, is an unfair advantage.

blue 22

Reaction score
wasnt this last years news? could of swore they did something like this... maybe not.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I'm sure, armed with this newfound freedom, 3-Com/Monster/Candlestick Park will now be a terrifying venue for any visiting team. If only they could find a way to utilize the mulitiude of old urinals in that toilet to somehow funnel the sound down to the field.

Axx

Reaction score
Filming the coaching half time discussion?
It's just a bunch of x's and o's schemes followed by a short speech by the head coach.

I have no idea why anyone would approve of this new procedure.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Cartire":2jt72vpq said:
kidhawk":2jt72vpq said:

Yea, im kinda confused by this tactic. It seems like the league is just making it more and more harder for visiting teams, in the hopes of encouraging ticket sales by further increasing home team wins. It feels like fair play is being limited as the opposing team is further gimped by technological achievements. I love loud home team crowd advantages, but I do think that having stadiums 'assist' in that, is an unfair advantage.

well they made a rule change that all big replays must be shown on the video board. in the past Home teams wouldn't show crucial plays if it wasnt in their favor.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Axx":2p1rvhny said:
Filming the coaching half time discussion?
It's just a bunch of x's and o's schemes followed by a short speech by the head coach.

I have no idea why anyone would approve of this new procedure.
I have a feeling that the only thing they're going to show is the players walking into the locker room.

But the whole thing boggles my mind too. Why does anyone think there would be any appeal to this?

CHawks4L

Reaction score
It is lame. They are trying to level the playing field. Hate to pat our own backs, but our advantage hasn't been the design of the stadium so much as the intelligence and composition of our fanbase. Videos telling a stadium full of lemmings when to emote is pure weaksauce...

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":w23gyrlu said:
Ram Rules allowed!

Clap it out ... hee hee

This is pretty much the first thing I thought about when I read the article. Some fan bases need all the help they can get. I'm not sure Century Link will get any louder because of this rule, but other stadiums where fans aren't quite as "on top of things" might benefit. And of course, if other stadiums start talking about how noisy they are, that will just crank up the 12th man pride to a whole new level if that is even possible

A

Anonymous

RolandDeschain":3pzn0ggs said:

The above response echoes my sentiments exactly, and (I believe) it also speaks to the level of head-scratching-ness of what has been coming from the NFL of late.

My brow is still scrunched-up over this one.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1qvfaqzf said:
well they made a rule change that all big replays must be shown on the video board. in the past Home teams wouldn't show crucial plays if it wasnt in their favor.

I was at the MNF game against GB. The call was in our favor, but they sure as hell did NOT replay the catch at any point. I actually had to go down the ramps into the proshop to look at the TVs and catch the replay.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
gspin2k1":37n5ctut said:
EastCoastHawksFan":37n5ctut said:

I was at the MNF game against GB. The call was in our favor, but they sure as hell did NOT replay the catch at any point. I actually had to go down the ramps into the proshop to look at the TVs and catch the replay.

Same for me. I didn't see a replay at all until we were walking out of the stadium and were sneaking glances at the TVs.

gspin2k1

Reaction score
kidhawk":3js6r3j1 said:
drdiags":3js6r3j1 said:
Ram Rules allowed!

Clap it out ... hee hee

This is pretty much the first thing I thought about when I read the article. Some fan bases need all the help they can get. I'm not sure Century Link will get any louder because of this rule, but other stadiums where fans aren't quite as "on top of things" might benefit. And of course, if other stadiums start talking about how noisy they are, that will just crank up the 12th man pride to a whole new level if that is even possible

Where this COULD benefit is maybe getting our crowd to know exactly when to start getting loud. Because last year outside of the SNF game against the Niners. We tend to get loud when they are lining up about to hike the ball. And although our crowd noise gets loud in time to hopefully aid false starts. We still allow them to get their communication on during the huddle. If anything if they could use the video to get us to really get loud before they even huddle up, I think that could go a ways towards causing more issues with the opponents. We definitely got loud and early for the SNF game against the Niners and they struggled like hell. I mean a variety of factors come to play (including just the awesome play of the Seahawks of course), but I'd like to think the 12th man aided just a little :).

Claden

Reaction score
It's kind of sad how some places need to inform their home crowd when to cheer.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Arizona comes to mind... I was there Week 17 of the 2011 Season, when the Hawks played for the season Finale. So many older people, it was a lot quieter than what I expected for an NFL stadium. I was the loudest in my section haha, all the Card fans must have been thinking "Those damn Seahawk fans are all hoodlums under 30..."

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
applause-sign.jpg