Video Encouraging Crowd Noise to be allowed now

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159224/article/nfl-teams-permitted-to-use-video-prompts-to-encourage-noise?

The NFL will allow teams to use video scoreboards to encourage crowd noise in stadiums during entire plays.

Although the scoreboards can only use audio prompts until 20 seconds remain on the play clock -- down from 30 seconds -- video prompts now can be used any time.

That's the latest change the league is allowing in an attempt to enhance the fan experience in stadiums. Last week, teams were notified they must place cameras in their locker rooms to provide video only, with the footage being displayed on the video boards and also on team apps.

They thought Century Link was loud before? Just wait until they add a little extra crowd riling into the mix.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• kidhawk wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159224/article/nfl-teams-permitted-to-use-video-prompts-to-encourage-noise?

The NFL will allow teams to use video scoreboards to encourage crowd noise in stadiums during entire plays.

Although the scoreboards can only use audio prompts until 20 seconds remain on the play clock -- down from 30 seconds -- video prompts now can be used any time.

That's the latest change the league is allowing in an attempt to enhance the fan experience in stadiums. Last week, teams were notified they must place cameras in their locker rooms to provide video only, with the footage being displayed on the video boards and also on team apps.

They thought Century Link was loud before? Just wait until they add a little extra crowd riling into the mix.

Yea, im kinda confused by this tactic. It seems like the league is just making it more and more harder for visiting teams, in the hopes of encouraging ticket sales by further increasing home team wins. It feels like fair play is being limited as the opposing team is further gimped by technological achievements. I love loud home team crowd advantages, but I do think that having stadiums 'assist' in that, is an unfair advantage.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Ram Rules allowed!

Clap it out ... hee hee
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• wasnt this last years news? could of swore they did something like this... maybe not.
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure, armed with this newfound freedom, 3-Com/Monster/Candlestick Park will now be a terrifying venue for any visiting team. If only they could find a way to utilize the mulitiude of old urinals in that toilet to somehow funnel the sound down to the field.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

• Filming the coaching half time discussion?
    It's just a bunch of x's and o's schemes followed by a short speech by the head coach.

I have no idea why anyone would approve of this new procedure.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Lame.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Cartire wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159224/article/nfl-teams-permitted-to-use-video-prompts-to-encourage-noise?

Yea, im kinda confused by this tactic. It seems like the league is just making it more and more harder for visiting teams, in the hopes of encouraging ticket sales by further increasing home team wins. It feels like fair play is being limited as the opposing team is further gimped by technological achievements. I love loud home team crowd advantages, but I do think that having stadiums 'assist' in that, is an unfair advantage.

well they made a rule change that all big replays must be shown on the video board. in the past Home teams wouldn't show crucial plays if it wasnt in their favor.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:Filming the coaching half time discussion?
    It's just a bunch of x's and o's schemes followed by a short speech by the head coach.

I have no idea why anyone would approve of this new procedure.

I have a feeling that the only thing they're going to show is the players walking into the locker room.

But the whole thing boggles my mind too. Why does anyone think there would be any appeal to this?
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• It is lame. They are trying to level the playing field. Hate to pat our own backs, but our advantage hasn't been the design of the stadium so much as the intelligence and composition of our fanbase. Videos telling a stadium full of lemmings when to emote is pure weaksauce...
    "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to hard work"
    CHawks4L
    NET Rookie

• drdiags wrote:Ram Rules allowed!

Clap it out ... hee hee

This is pretty much the first thing I thought about when I read the article. Some fan bases need all the help they can get. I'm not sure Century Link will get any louder because of this rule, but other stadiums where fans aren't quite as "on top of things" might benefit. And of course, if other stadiums start talking about how noisy they are, that will just crank up the 12th man pride to a whole new level if that is even possible
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Lame.

The above response echoes my sentiments exactly, and (I believe) it also speaks to the level of head-scratching-ness of what has been coming from the NFL of late.

My brow is still scrunched-up over this one.
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

• EastCoastHawksFan wrote:well they made a rule change that all big replays must be shown on the video board. in the past Home teams wouldn't show crucial plays if it wasnt in their favor.

I was at the MNF game against GB. The call was in our favor, but they sure as hell did NOT replay the catch at any point. I actually had to go down the ramps into the proshop to look at the TVs and catch the replay.
    gspin2k1
    NET Rookie

• gspin2k1 wrote:
    EastCoastHawksFan wrote:well they made a rule change that all big replays must be shown on the video board. in the past Home teams wouldn't show crucial plays if it wasnt in their favor.

I was at the MNF game against GB. The call was in our favor, but they sure as hell did NOT replay the catch at any point. I actually had to go down the ramps into the proshop to look at the TVs and catch the replay.

Same for me. I didn't see a replay at all until we were walking out of the stadium and were sneaking glances at the TVs.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• kidhawk wrote:
    drdiags wrote:Ram Rules allowed!

Clap it out ... hee hee

This is pretty much the first thing I thought about when I read the article. Some fan bases need all the help they can get. I'm not sure Century Link will get any louder because of this rule, but other stadiums where fans aren't quite as "on top of things" might benefit. And of course, if other stadiums start talking about how noisy they are, that will just crank up the 12th man pride to a whole new level if that is even possible

Where this COULD benefit is maybe getting our crowd to know exactly when to start getting loud. Because last year outside of the SNF game against the Niners. We tend to get loud when they are lining up about to hike the ball. And although our crowd noise gets loud in time to hopefully aid false starts. We still allow them to get their communication on during the huddle. If anything if they could use the video to get us to really get loud before they even huddle up, I think that could go a ways towards causing more issues with the opponents. We definitely got loud and early for the SNF game against the Niners and they struggled like hell. I mean a variety of factors come to play (including just the awesome play of the Seahawks of course), but I'd like to think the 12th man aided just a little :).
    gspin2k1
    NET Rookie

• so...let me get this straight...league wants to make the loudest, most bad ass crowd in the nfl even louder?
    works for me!
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

• It's kind of sad how some places need to inform their home crowd when to cheer.
    Claden
    NET Rookie

• Arizona comes to mind... I was there Week 17 of the 2011 Season, when the Hawks played for the season Finale. So many older people, it was a lot quieter than what I expected for an NFL stadium. I was the loudest in my section haha, all the Card fans must have been thinking "Those damn Seahawk fans are all hoodlums under 30..."

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• Why doesn't Paul Allen record US at a game and sell it to every team at a major price?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

• despite the sentiment here, I'm a little concerned about this hurting us more than helping. We made so much noise before without being prompted.... now it's likely we'll just become a lazy crowd who only gets rowdy when the screen tells us too. Hope that doesn't happen.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I realize this is sour grapes at this point, but the Atlanta stadium was using audio cues very late into our play clocks. Particularly noticeable on our 4th and 1 attempt, where the crowd forgot to make noise until the announcer got them going with a very loud/long "4th and 1" call with just a few seconds left.

Shortening the time may allow the league to be stricter with teams who violate these rules. If so, I think this is a positive change.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:despite the sentiment here, I'm a little concerned about this hurting us more than helping. We made so much noise before without being prompted.... now it's likely we'll just become a lazy crowd who only gets rowdy when the screen tells us too. Hope that doesn't happen.

I'm okay with the current queues, but wish they come up sooner...LOUD before/during the huddle...not After.
    gspin2k1
    NET Rookie

• gspin2k1 wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:despite the sentiment here, I'm a little concerned about this hurting us more than helping. We made so much noise before without being prompted.... now it's likely we'll just become a lazy crowd who only gets rowdy when the screen tells us too. Hope that doesn't happen.

I'm okay with the current queues, but wish they come up sooner...LOUD before/during the huddle...not After.

either way it's better than SF's home fans.

They scream on offense. I was so confused. Then people who know they shoudln't be making noise when their team is on offense start screaming at the screaming people, pretty soon it's more noise than when the other team is on offense.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:
    gspin2k1 wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:despite the sentiment here, I'm a little concerned about this hurting us more than helping. We made so much noise before without being prompted.... now it's likely we'll just become a lazy crowd who only gets rowdy when the screen tells us too. Hope that doesn't happen.

either way it's better than SF's home fans.

They scream on offense. I was so confused. Then people who know they shoudln't be making noise when their team is on offense start screaming at the screaming people, pretty soon it's more noise than when the other team is on offense.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Figures!!
    GO SEAHAWKS!!
    grizrgood
    NET Practice Squad

• gspin2k1 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    drdiags wrote:Ram Rules allowed!

Clap it out ... hee hee

Where this COULD benefit is maybe getting our crowd to know exactly when to start getting loud. Because last year outside of the SNF game against the Niners. We tend to get loud when they are lining up about to hike the ball. And although our crowd noise gets loud in time to hopefully aid false starts. We still allow them to get their communication on during the huddle. If anything if they could use the video to get us to really get loud before they even huddle up, I think that could go a ways towards causing more issues with the opponents. We definitely got loud and early for the SNF game against the Niners and they struggled like hell. I mean a variety of factors come to play (including just the awesome play of the Seahawks of course), but I'd like to think the 12th man aided just a little :).

THIS. Our crowd needs to scream from the moment the visiting offense begins any formation of a huddle and we need to keep the noise up during no huddle formations
    Follow me on twitter @LoudSeahawksFan
    seahwkfvr
    NET Rookie

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information