Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:52 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 204
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91592 ... s-adderall


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:54 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 204
I just love they made sure to insert this quote "The thing that people dont understood is that its a prescribed drug that some people have to take."


- You know so more fuel could be given to the people who already hate Sherman


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:21 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
Posts: 9828
I think that is the plan. Some players thrive with the it's "me against the world" mentality, Sherman is one of those.

_________________
42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS century, deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:31 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
Wheeee! Isn't this fun?

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:42 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 pm
Posts: 1121
Location: The Rain Forest
A wise man once said "discretion is the better part of valor" and it seems to apply here.
Sherm... hush. Just hush. Really.

_________________
"We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
Angry Doug
"We're looking for grit"
Pete Carroll
"We got grit. That's it."
Earl Thomas.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 pm
Posts: 1121
Location: The Rain Forest
Crap, I'm agreein' with the Norse God of Blue Circles.
This means the Eagles are all reuniting.

_________________
"We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
Angry Doug
"We're looking for grit"
Pete Carroll
"We got grit. That's it."
Earl Thomas.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:51 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 2036
Sherm doesnt need to hush. I fail to see how a humanitarian/professional athlete, should be barred from doing interviews, because the media loves creating a bad guy for ratings.

We should stop telling sherm to hush, and start telling the media to focus on shermans amazing, charitable qualities, instead of the spun words of a interviewer.

_________________
Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:16 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 2504
Location: South of Heaven
I was misquote too. I said, yes officer my registration is right here. In the police report it said, yes ossifer would you like a mug of beer.
This actually happened. The Dallas Oregon's finest.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
Sherm is a victim!!!!

Mean drug testers!

Mean gotcha journalists!

Mean Roddy White!

Mean Skip Bayless!

Mean pee gatherers!

Mean misquoters!

Who couldn't see this coming?

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:26 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Seattle
Cartire wrote:
Sherm doesnt need to hush. I fail to see how a humanitarian/professional athlete, should be barred from doing interviews, because the media loves creating a bad guy for ratings.

We should stop telling sherm to hush, and start telling the media to focus on shermans amazing, charitable qualities, instead of the spun words of a interviewer.


:th2thumbs:

_________________
Image

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm
Posts: 1141
Rocket wrote:
A wise man once said "discretion is the better part of valor" and it seems to apply here.
Sherm... hush. Just hush. Really.


I love his trash talking on the field, but off the field he's just digging himself in a hole.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:35 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Seattle
WestcoastSteve wrote:
Rocket wrote:
A wise man once said "discretion is the better part of valor" and it seems to apply here.
Sherm... hush. Just hush. Really.


I love his trash talking on the field, but off the field he's just digging himself in a hole.


Truthfully he's just answering questions...the reporters are digging for him.

_________________
Image

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
Bakergirl wrote:
WestcoastSteve wrote:
Rocket wrote:
A wise man once said "discretion is the better part of valor" and it seems to apply here.
Sherm... hush. Just hush. Really.


I love his trash talking on the field, but off the field he's just digging himself in a hole.


Truthfully he's just answering questions...the reporters are digging for him.



Digging reporters are MEAN!

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:59 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 7:35 am
Posts: 471
screw em all! :stirthepot:

_________________
I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 pm
Posts: 159
So he claims he was misquoted, then the newspaper comes back with video evidence that he was not.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

_________________
http://www.nfltweeter.com/seahawks/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:59 am 
* Smackmeister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm
Posts: 6894
seahawksflow wrote:
So he claims he was misquoted, then the newspaper comes back with video evidence that he was not.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html


Sounds to me like 'misquoted' might not be the right word, but they did take it out of context. The way it's presented in that video and the original article that the reporter released don't come across the same way. 'Journalism' at it's finest.

Here's the snippet they quoted him for:

Quote:
“About half the league takes it [Adderall] and the league has to allow it,” Sherman said. “The league made a mistake in my case. Obviously, I didn’t do anything, but you have to go through a process to prove you didn’t do anything. There are still naysayers out there who don’t believe me. But I accept it. If everybody loves you, it probably means you’re not much of a player.”


Mentions nothing about those players having a prescription, when framed in reference to the question the reporter asked, his answer doesn't mean nearly the same thing it is portrayed as.

_________________
President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 204
There's pretty much nothing Sherman could do at this point to get the people who already hate him to like him. Outside of suddenly becoming uber humble so hopefully they show more of his charitable contributions rather than his mouth.

All I want is for him to keep his trash with people on the other team. That thing with Kam was very small and seemed squashed quickly, but hopefully nothing worse than that happens within the team. Supposedly Harvin in the lockers is a talker as well, and combined with Sherman in practice that could be good, could be bad. Hopefully it's just good friendly competition.

There is going to be a point though in the NFL where Sherman just hits Paris Hilton status, and people are going to be completely sick of anything having to do with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 2036
gspin2k1 wrote:
.

There is going to be a point though in the NFL where Sherman just hits Paris Hilton status, and people are going to be completely sick of anything having to do with him.


That is completely utter nonsense. Paris Hilton has done absolutely nothing for mankind except co-exist and take up oxygen. Sherman is a humanitarian and an amazing athlete. I see zero comparison and you should be banned for 24 hours for just making this ridiculous comparison.

_________________
Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:52 am 
* NET Radish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Posts: 18002
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Rocket wrote:
A wise man once said "discretion is the better part of valor" and it seems to apply here.
Sherm... hush. Just hush. Really.



I'm with Rocket here. If you're going to open your big mouth you'd better have some backup other than "I was misquoted". That truly sucks and sounds like the same story he told about drugs.

This drug deal, if he wants to say it seems to him half the league is using alderal fine. But to state it as fact, better have proof.

Make comments about other players, if you're in danger of being misquoted then make comments that aren't "iffy" and whine about it later.

He can say anything he wants but should understand lots of people won't take his word for it and he needs to be sure of his facts and the backup for them.

A player like him can't make outragous statements and then come with with "Oh the devil made me do that" as an excuse cause that just sounds like backtracking attempts.



:roll:

_________________
Image
The SuperB owl ladys have left the building with our thanks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:14 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 204
Cartire wrote:
gspin2k1 wrote:
.

There is going to be a point though in the NFL where Sherman just hits Paris Hilton status, and people are going to be completely sick of anything having to do with him.


That is completely utter nonsense. Paris Hilton has done absolutely nothing for mankind except co-exist and take up oxygen. Sherman is a humanitarian and an amazing athlete. I see zero comparison and you should be banned for 24 hours for just making this ridiculous comparison.


When I wrote Paris Hilton status, I meant it more in regards where she was ALWAYS in the news over something she did or said that was bad. And eventually people just stopped wanting to hear/read anything about her. Not comparing them as actual people.


That's what I'm saying about Sherman. Let's face it outside of Seahawk news, the only thing that actually makes national media attention in regards to Sherman is always something bad that he's said or done (nothing like committing crimes, but you know like that whole Tom Brady or Skip Bayless confrontation). Bottomline is really the only people who like Sherman are the Seahawk fans (myself included) and even then there are a lot of us (just look at this board) who want him to just shut up. But the media keeps showcasing articles about him that are negative, so again it's going to reach a point where eventually everyone (the general public OUTSIDE of Seahawk fans) is just going to want to hear/see/read nothing about him....despite his amazing athletic abilities.

As for seeing me as needing to be banned because I have an opinion that doesn't match yours, well thankfully your not a moderator. Because that sure wouldn't promote any actual discussions on these boards now would it?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 am 
* Smackmeister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm
Posts: 6894
The Radish wrote:
Rocket wrote:
A wise man once said "discretion is the better part of valor" and it seems to apply here.
Sherm... hush. Just hush. Really.



I'm with Rocket here. If you're going to open your big mouth you'd better have some backup other than "I was misquoted". That truly sucks and sounds like the same story he told about drugs.

This drug deal, if he wants to say it seems to him half the league is using alderal fine. But to state it as fact, better have proof.

Make comments about other players, if you're in danger of being misquoted then make comments that aren't "iffy" and whine about it later.

He can say anything he wants but should understand lots of people won't take his word for it and he needs to be sure of his facts and the backup for them.

A player like him can't make outragous statements and then come with with "Oh the devil made me do that" as an excuse cause that just sounds like backtracking attempts.



:roll:


I disagree completely. I think the onus is on the journalist to have some integrity and print the comments in context. He was answering a question and the interviewer brought up players who have prescriptions for Adderall and Sherman said "Yeah, about half the league uses it". I'm not seeing how this is Sherman trying to out anyone. This is just more garbage journalism for shock value and it's a despicable practice by people who know better.

_________________
President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:40 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 2036
gspin2k1 wrote:
Cartire wrote:
gspin2k1 wrote:
.

There is going to be a point though in the NFL where Sherman just hits Paris Hilton status, and people are going to be completely sick of anything having to do with him.


That is completely utter nonsense. Paris Hilton has done absolutely nothing for mankind except co-exist and take up oxygen. Sherman is a humanitarian and an amazing athlete. I see zero comparison and you should be banned for 24 hours for just making this ridiculous comparison.


When I wrote Paris Hilton status, I meant it more in regards where she was ALWAYS in the news over something she did or said that was bad. And eventually people just stopped wanting to hear/read anything about her. Not comparing them as actual people.


That's what I'm saying about Sherman. Let's face it outside of Seahawk news, the only thing that actually makes national media attention in regards to Sherman is always something bad that he's said or done (nothing like committing crimes, but you know like that whole Tom Brady or Skip Bayless confrontation). Bottomline is really the only people who like Sherman are the Seahawk fans (myself included) and even then there are a lot of us (just look at this board) who want him to just shut up. But the media keeps showcasing articles about him that are negative, so again it's going to reach a point where eventually everyone (the general public OUTSIDE of Seahawk fans) is just going to want to hear/see/read nothing about him....despite his amazing athletic abilities.

As for seeing me as needing to be banned because I have an opinion that doesn't match yours, well thankfully your not a moderator. Because that sure wouldn't promote any actual discussions on these boards now would it?


I apologize, I was more annoyed with a derail of one of my other topics. I meant that more as annoyed jibbing then actual application of banning. However, all I see is people screaming for Sherman just to shut up. But its not his fault that the media has literately set out to make him a sideshow act. The bad boy of the NFL. Even with his countless good deeds, far more then you ever see or hear other big name athletes doing (not all, but a great majority of them), he gets every word he says dissected and only the few misspoken words as "BREAKING NEWS!! NFL.COM/ESPN: SHERMAN ACTS LIKE A JACKASS AGAIN!!!"

Its nothing more then a character they have built, and yet we want to blame Sherman for this. We yell at him and tell him to get out the limelight. Well then that includes telling him to give up on his charitable work as well, because thats where all these soundbites come from. Quick interviews, and quotes taken out of context. You're right, he wasnt misquoted. But the entire quote wasnt given, because he clearly was talking about people with prescriptions. He wasnt talking about people taking it illegally. And both the NFL and mass media markets went nuts on the baseless Idea that he was meaning illegally. Just because the journalist didnt want to show the whole qoute.

We need to stop telling Sherman to quit, and stop being so enthralled by stupid reporting.

_________________
Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am
Posts: 248
Cartire wrote:
gspin2k1 wrote:
Cartire wrote:
When I wrote Paris Hilton status, I meant it more in regards where she was ALWAYS in the news over something she did or said that was bad. And eventually people just stopped wanting to hear/read anything about her. Not comparing them as actual people.


That's what I'm saying about Sherman. Let's face it outside of Seahawk news, the only thing that actually makes national media attention in regards to Sherman is always something bad that he's said or done (nothing like committing crimes, but you know like that whole Tom Brady or Skip Bayless confrontation). Bottomline is really the only people who like Sherman are the Seahawk fans (myself included) and even then there are a lot of us (just look at this board) who want him to just shut up. But the media keeps showcasing articles about him that are negative, so again it's going to reach a point where eventually everyone (the general public OUTSIDE of Seahawk fans) is just going to want to hear/see/read nothing about him....despite his amazing athletic abilities.

As for seeing me as needing to be banned because I have an opinion that doesn't match yours, well thankfully your not a moderator. Because that sure wouldn't promote any actual discussions on these boards now would it?


I apologize, I was more annoyed with a derail of one of my other topics. I meant that more as annoyed jibbing then actual application of banning. However, all I see is people screaming for Sherman just to shut up. But its not his fault that the media has literately set out to make him a sideshow act. The bad boy of the NFL. Even with his countless good deeds, far more then you ever see or hear other big name athletes doing (not all, but a great majority of them), he gets every word he says dissected and only the few misspoken words as "BREAKING NEWS!! NFL.COM/ESPN: SHERMAN ACTS LIKE A JACKASS AGAIN!!!"

Its nothing more then a character they have built, and yet we want to blame Sherman for this. We yell at him and tell him to get out the limelight. Well then that includes telling him to give up on his charitable work as well, because thats where all these soundbites come from. Quick interviews, and quotes taken out of context. You're right, he wasnt misquoted. But the entire quote wasnt given, because he clearly was talking about people with prescriptions. He wasnt talking about people taking it illegally. And both the NFL and mass media markets went nuts on the baseless Idea that he was meaning illegally. Just because the journalist didnt want to show the whole qoute.

We need to stop telling Sherman to quit, and stop being so enthralled by stupid reporting.


All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 2036
Giedi wrote:

All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.


So a guy whos lives and breathes football, and is amazing at it, cant talk about it because the other side are jackasses. We are once again, punishing the wrong side here. This is whats wrong with us, we punish the wrong sides; cause its the easier choice, not the right one.

_________________
Time of possession is the most meaningless statistic in football. -RolandDeschain


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:29 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 6360
Is Sherman supposed to know a "journalist" would take his answers and lay them out completely out of context to make Sherm look bad? You can ask a dozen simple questions about nothing and frame it to make the answers look a certain way.

I agree with Cartire...the outrage should be against the "journalist" not Sherman. Because when laid out exactly as the interview went, Sherman's answer was perfectly fine. There's tons of people with prescriptions for Adderall. It's nothing new.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Seattle
Giedi wrote:

All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.


Why should he? He has as much right to speak as the rest of the league. It's not his fault sports writers have no scruples.

_________________
Image

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 am 
* NET X's & O's Guru *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
Posts: 8603
Location: PNW
Giedi wrote:
All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.



Headline: Sherman side-steps questions about possible Adderall abuse
"I"m only taking questions on my charity, and wont take qustions on anything NFL related," he said, refusing to address questions about accusations of illicit Adderall use

What incredible journalism! Sherman should learn to keep his big mouth shut!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2437
Bakergirl wrote:
Giedi wrote:

All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.


Why should he? He has as much right to speak as the rest of the league. It's not his fault sports writers have no scruples.


How dare they quote him on exactly what he said! Damn you journalist!

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13439
Location: King In The North
Should he keep his mouth shut and just play the game? Sure. That's what everybody should do.

Am I glad he's not doing that? Damn skippy. We as Seahawks fans haven't had a polarizing personality like this on the squad since the Boz. If it keeps us in opposing teams mouths then that means we're in opposing teams heads and that's a good thing. As long as he can avoid doing anything detrimental like getting in actual trouble or causing a rift in the locker room I'm all for it.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 204
Cartire wrote:
I apologize, I was more annoyed with a derail of one of my other topics. I meant that more as annoyed jibbing then actual application of banning. However, all I see is people screaming for Sherman just to shut up. But its not his fault that the media has literately set out to make him a sideshow act. The bad boy of the NFL. Even with his countless good deeds, far more then you ever see or hear other big name athletes doing (not all, but a great majority of them), he gets every word he says dissected and only the few misspoken words as "BREAKING NEWS!! NFL.COM/ESPN: SHERMAN ACTS LIKE A JACKASS AGAIN!!!"

Its nothing more then a character they have built, and yet we want to blame Sherman for this. We yell at him and tell him to get out the limelight. Well then that includes telling him to give up on his charitable work as well, because thats where all these soundbites come from. Quick interviews, and quotes taken out of context. You're right, he wasnt misquoted. But the entire quote wasnt given, because he clearly was talking about people with prescriptions. He wasnt talking about people taking it illegally. And both the NFL and mass media markets went nuts on the baseless Idea that he was meaning illegally. Just because the journalist didnt want to show the whole qoute.

We need to stop telling Sherman to quit, and stop being so enthralled by stupid reporting.


No worries. Sherman is in a state (or at least publicly states) that he doesn't care what other people think, so he's going to be Sherman. But at the same time yeah anything bad he does say is going to be overblown, meanwhile anything good he does is going to go somewhat unnoticed. Is it fair, not really. But at the same time, he did kind of start it, or at least decided to go with it. Ah well.





Zebulon Dak wrote:
Should he keep his mouth shut and just play the game? Sure. That's what everybody should do.

Am I glad he's not doing that? Damn skippy. We as Seahawks fans haven't had a polarizing personality like this on the squad since the Boz. If it keeps us in opposing teams mouths then that means we're in opposing teams heads and that's a good thing. As long as he can avoid doing anything detrimental like getting in actual trouble or causing a rift in the locker room I'm all for it.


^ agree with above. Yeah really hope he doesnt cause a rift in the locker room. But given how tight he is with the LOB, I think there's no signs of any potential issues in that regard.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13439
Location: King In The North
gspin2k1 wrote:
But given how tight he is with the LOB, I think there's no signs of any potential issues in that regard.


Image

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5464
Location: Kansas City, MO
Zebulon Dak wrote:
Should he keep his mouth shut and just play the game? Sure. That's what everybody should do.

Am I glad he's not doing that? Damn skippy. We as Seahawks fans haven't had a polarizing personality like this on the squad since the Boz. If it keeps us in opposing teams mouths then that means we're in opposing teams heads and that's a good thing. As long as he can avoid doing anything detrimental like getting in actual trouble or causing a rift in the locker room I'm all for it.

Agreed.

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13439
Location: King In The North
They got flagged 15 yards for doing that dance this season. What a bunch of BS.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:04 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 1415
bestfightstory wrote:
Sherm is a victim!!!!

Mean drug testers!

Mean gotcha journalists!

Mean Roddy White!

Mean Skip Bayless!

Mean pee gatherers!

Mean misquoters!

Who couldn't see this coming?


Someone misses the Ruskell choir boy days... :roll:

_________________
SUPERBOWL!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:06 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 1415
AbsolutNET wrote:
Giedi wrote:
All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.



Headline: Sherman side-steps questions about possible Adderall abuse
"I"m only taking questions on my charity, and wont take qustions on anything NFL related," he said, refusing to address questions about accusations of illicit Adderall use

What incredible journalism! Sherman should learn to keep his big mouth shut!

Hahaha, best reply of this entire thread!

_________________
SUPERBOWL!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:14 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 6360
Sgt. Largent wrote:
Bakergirl wrote:
Giedi wrote:

All he has to say is "I"m only taking questions on my charity , and wont take qustions on anything NFL related. " simple as that.


Why should he? He has as much right to speak as the rest of the league. It's not his fault sports writers have no scruples.


How dare they quote him on exactly what he said! Damn you journalist!


But framed the conversation to make him say something entirely different. Context is important.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 2208
hy·per·bo·le [hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA
noun Rhetoric .
1.
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”



Journalists and writers do this all the time, but if Sherman does it and is quoted, he obviously meant it for fact.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
Hawkfan77 wrote:
bestfightstory wrote:
Sherm is a victim!!!!

Mean drug testers!

Mean gotcha journalists!

Mean Roddy White!

Mean Skip Bayless!

Mean pee gatherers!

Mean misquoters!

Who couldn't see this coming?


Someone misses the Ruskell choir boy days... :roll:


Someone else can't form an original thought... :roll: FUN with emoticons! Wheeee!!

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:37 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm
Posts: 4649
LMAO at folks claiming the mean old writers are out to get him. At this point they may very well be, but he's finding out what other lightning rods have found out (TO, Ocho Cinco, etc.) which is that after you launch a few missiles, reporters start to seek you out because if they can get you slip up it's news. Let's be fair here, they're targeting him because he's deliberately made himself a target, with all of the good and bad consequences that attach to that.

Now I'm no defender of that particular aspect of the media, but Mr. Stanford Grad surely understands the implications of the way he's chosen to market himself and its pitfalls. He doesn't need us holding his banner.

Now I flipping love Sherman and I know Pete and JS do too and don't give a rip about any of this, so it's never going to cause any problems here, but everyone gets to draw their own line as to where his er...quotability... starts to become annoying. For me we're just about there, but I'll take 20 times the annoyance from a guy who emerged out of nowhere to be what he is on the field.

If Sherman is receiving extra attention, negative or positive, it's exactly what he was asking for. We can support the guy , warts and all, without deluding ourselves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:43 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 204
Zebulon Dak wrote:
They got flagged 15 yards for doing that dance this season. What a bunch of BS.


Why again did they start throwing penalties for "excessive celebration"?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:47 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
hawk45 wrote:
We can support the guy , warts and all, without deluding ourselves.



Exactly.

(Or maybe you secretly wish we had Kelly Jennings back.... Yeah, that's it!!!!)

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:52 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 13439
Location: King In The North
gspin2k1 wrote:
Zebulon Dak wrote:
They got flagged 15 yards for doing that dance this season. What a bunch of BS.


Why again did they start throwing penalties for "excessive celebration"?


Well they have to be mindful of the other players' feelings.

_________________
Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:54 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 2208
I don't think anyone is saying anyone is "out to get" sherman, but when Sherman says "half of nfl players" we all realize (because we're not stupid) that he means " a bunch of guys" to illustrate his point of view, and not technically and explicitly "HALF, 50.000000 %".

Apparently the media is stupid, because immediately run with stories trying to make it sound like Professor Sherman's Expert Diagnosis is 50 point zero zero percent of NFL players are on adderall. That's what the headlines said, and that's what the articles focused on. That is the issue. Nobody is saying 'poor richard'.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:11 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
I interrupt this thread for something that actually matters to football:


WINFIELD TO THE SEAHAWKS!!!

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:16 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8853
Location: Covington, Washington
The media frenzy was the quote made it sound like half (or a lot) of the NFL players were taking Adderall and because of that, the NFL should allow it. NFL goes ballistic and media frenzy begins. Sherman claims misquote and out of context, when it was out of context.

Given context, his quote doesn't appear to condone and justify Adderall's illegal use that it appeared to at first. Genie is out of the bottle so it doesn't matter. The news cycle dies and for many who are keeping score or details will just remember that Sherman was credited with making a very flamboyant statement.

Seems the Seahawks had him in Vancouver doing a PR event for them. Their PR department has to be more diligent and set some boundaries on what he was there for and what questions were off-limits.

Sherman is going to get paid by someone, most believe it to be the Seahawks. He and his brother need to remember that players are not going to get paid for on-field activities only. They don't want him being compared to DeAngelo Hall, T.O or Ochocinco. He will get paid but maybe not as much as he should if he cannot draw a line. Not shut up but does he want to become James Harrison in the eyes of the league? And could it hurt his value in the future?

There are no right or wrong answers here. I understand both sides of the argument and respect the poster's point of view on this topic. At first it seemed his voice and outrage reflected the opinion of those who got tired of Dallas, Jets and Patriots being forced down one's throat on a loop. A finger to the big boys. The Adderall issue took it to a new level and since then a divide on how lovable he is to fans began. Will be interesting to see how things go forward come next season and eventually attempting to re-sign him.

But then again, as my good bud once told me on this forum "Who Cares?". So none of this really matters anyway according to some of our more enlightened posters.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Sidney Rice 2011-2013 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:21 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 1415
bestfightstory wrote:
Hawkfan77 wrote:
bestfightstory wrote:
Sherm is a victim!!!!

Mean drug testers!

Mean gotcha journalists!

Mean Roddy White!

Mean Skip Bayless!

Mean pee gatherers!

Mean misquoters!

Who couldn't see this coming?


Someone misses the Ruskell choir boy days... :roll:


Someone else can't form an original thought... :roll: FUN with emoticons! Wheeee!!


No one cares about your constant whining, that's all I'm saying

_________________
SUPERBOWL!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:25 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
Hawkfan77 wrote:
bestfightstory wrote:
Hawkfan77 wrote:

Someone misses the Ruskell choir boy days... :roll:


Someone else can't form an original thought... :roll: FUN with emoticons! Wheeee!!


No one cares about your constant whining, that's all I'm saying


No one, huh? Damn. Well the next time the board holds an election for 'Everyone Spokesperson' they might wanna elect somebody smart enough to get that across in less than 2 posts.

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm
Posts: 4649
Hawknballs wrote:
I don't think anyone is saying anyone is "out to get" sherman, but when Sherman says "half of nfl players" we all realize (because we're not stupid) that he means " a bunch of guys" to illustrate his point of view, and not technically and explicitly "HALF, 50.000000 %".

Apparently the media is stupid, because immediately run with stories trying to make it sound like Professor Sherman's Expert Diagnosis is 50 point zero zero percent of NFL players are on adderall. That's what the headlines said, and that's what the articles focused on. That is the issue. Nobody is saying 'poor richard'.


Okay if you say so. I think there are plenty acting like the media is out to get Sherman on this thread.

And acting surprised and butthurt on Sherm's behalf when his own antics make him a target is indeed implying "Poor Richard" and that's exactly what's going on.

Again, love the guy, just puzzled by the level of delusion going on here that the media are after Sherm after he made himself a target.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:35 pm 
* NET Radish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Posts: 18002
Location: Spokane, Wa.
ok BFS and hawkfan77

Could you two please take your school yard 4th grade bickering somewhere else?

No reason the entire site has to witness your personal brand of manure.

:141847_bnono:

_________________
Image
The SuperB owl ladys have left the building with our thanks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Sherman: I was misquoted
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:35 pm 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
Posts: 7222
Location: Eastern Washington
JesterHawk wrote:
seahawksflow wrote:
So he claims he was misquoted, then the newspaper comes back with video evidence that he was not.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

Sounds to me like 'misquoted' might not be the right word, but they did take it out of context. The way it's presented in that video and the original article that the reporter released don't come across the same way. 'Journalism' at it's finest.

Here's the snippet they quoted him for:

Quote:
“About half the league takes it [Adderall] and the league has to allow it,” Sherman said. “The league made a mistake in my case. Obviously, I didn’t do anything, but you have to go through a process to prove you didn’t do anything. There are still naysayers out there who don’t believe me. But I accept it. If everybody loves you, it probably means you’re not much of a player.”


Mentions nothing about those players having a prescription, when framed in reference to the question the reporter asked, his answer doesn't mean nearly the same thing it is portrayed as.

In this instance, Sherm deserves the benefit of the doubt. "Misquote" usually mean to quote incorrectly, but it can also mean to misuse a quote. Technically, they got the words he spoke in the right order, but the fact that they missed so badly on the context means, IMO, that to call what happened "misquoted" is not being inaccurate.

Of course, Sherm isn't going to get any benefit of any doubt. But he still deserves it.

_________________
49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atradees, BirdsCommaAngry, danp1990, Google [Bot], HawkAroundTheClock, hgwellz12, IcedHawk, kf3339, Mr. McGibblets, samwize77, Seahwkgal, UK_Seahawk, Yahoo [Bot] and 67 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.