Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • It seems like a lot of smoke.

Pay no attention to the smoke.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• BlueTalon wrote:It seems like a lot of smoke.

Correct. I am in "I will believe it when I see it" mode. It smells fishy to me at this point.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Hmmm, still absolutely nothing informative about this situation. Annnnnd moving on.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

• KCHawkGirl wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:It seems like a lot of smoke.

Correct. I am in "I will believe it when I see it" mode. It smells fishy to me at this point.

I've got to admit, despite my letter to Antoine, this does feel a lot like Hugh Douglas or John Abraham all over again...

But things are different now! This team is a legit contender. Come on Antoine!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• NYCoug wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:
    BlueTalon wrote:It seems like a lot of smoke.

I've got to admit, despite my letter to Antoine, this does feel a lot like Hugh Douglas or John Abraham all over again...

But things are different now! This team is a legit contender. Come on Antoine!

I hope it's just me being negative because he really would put us over the top. I am hopeful but in a "wait and see" mode and wouldn't be shocked if we didn't land him.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• *reads latest news on Winfield...faints*
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• Is this deal "imminent?"
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• im going to Imminent all over your face...;)
    RynoHawk
    NET Rookie

• http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=63&f=1554&t=11459365

"He's a great guy to have in the locker room," Henderson said. "He teaches the young guys everything that he knows, he doesn't hold anything back. He's willing to talk to you about whatever it may be. He's a great guy to have around and that's not even talking about what he does on the football field...It's invaluable for us to have him around."
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• The suspense is killing me....
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter

• Damned Broncos and other contenders trying to sabotage this potentially great acquisition for the Hawks. One can only hope Winfield is just sitting in his home by the fireplace waiting out the snowfall before he makes a break for Seattle to join Harvin.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• I agree... sitting in limbo make me so far from productive. I can't stop checking updates... waiting for news... his agent must have let it out of the bag that we were close to signing him. With all of the positive press in our new additions, teams are likely just looking at what we do and jumping in if they can.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to hard work"
    CHawks4L
    NET Rookie

• Finally Good News!!

The snow has begun to let up in Minnesota.

That damn groundhog Punxsutawney Phil will finally emerge covered in the white stuff to tell us he was wrong about predicting an early spring. He'll then try to predict whether Winfield will sign with Seattle.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• You got my hopes up
    Read "finally good news"
    What followed was not what I had hoped.
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter

• Shadyhawk182 wrote:You got my hopes up
    Read "finally good news"

Sorry.. Chances of any real news at this hour is pretty slim Shady. :mrgreen:
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• Russ Willstrong wrote:
    Shadyhawk182 wrote:You got my hopes up
    Read "finally good news"

Sorry.. Chances of any real news at this hour is pretty slim Shady. :mrgreen:

OHhhhhhhh...you.
    Like this guy
    :th2thumbs:
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter

• Thanks Shady. You guys are fun to read too. Just checking up for any breaking news like the rest of yall.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• I
    Russ Willstrong wrote:Finally Good News!!

The snow has begun to let up in Minnesota.

That damn groundhog Punxsutawney Phil will finally emerge covered in the white stuff to tell us he was wrong about predicting an early spring. He'll then try to predict whether Winfield will sign with Seattle.

I don't know what window you're looking from mate but its pissing white stuff right now, and will all night. Damned state. I want to be back on the PNW.. maybe Winny will follow
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• I like the new title edit lol
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Might be the most honest and accurate title in the history of the internet.
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter

• Shadyhawk182 wrote:Might be the most honest and accurate title in the history of the internet.

This board anyway.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• So apparently the words "close" and "imminent" mean absolutely nothing in the sports media anymore. Good to know. Is there anyone on twitter claiming to be Winfield's cousin's butcher anymore, where's that guy? Maybe he's got an update for us?

Ed Werder is a professional troll.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• NYCoug wrote:So apparently the words "close" and "imminent" mean absolutely nothing in the sports media anymore. Good to know. Is there anyone on twitter claiming to be Winfield's cousin's butcher anymore, where's that guy? Maybe he's got an update for us?

Ed Werder is a professional troll.

Close and imminent means he will be signing elsewhere.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Keep the faith, boys... Pete and John will do the right thing.

I want Winfield as much as any of you but at the right price.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.

Miami. New England may have had a bigger point differential since Welker was the only one that really hurt the Seahawks.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.

That's hard to say. First, Winfield is solid in coverage but by no means elite or "lock down." Also, many could legitimately argue that the lack of pass rush was the primary culprit in those losses.

It would be better to look at losses where we were hurt by the opponent's run game, because that's where Winfield honestly excels.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Were there any games where Trufant directly led us to a loss?

I know he had some really bad plays throughout the year, but I never pinned any of the losses directly on him.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Looking at film of both Winfield and Tyrann Mathieu.....(at least their highlights), the two have very similar traits. The three glaring differences are not captured on film: The off field baggage of the Badger, the age of Winfield and the (presumed) price differential between the two. At the rate Mathieu is going, he may slip to the 4th (he can't recall how many drug tests he's failed??). Even at 3 mil for Winfield, the Badger can be had for about 1/6th of that (unless I am mistaken). There is definitely risk with this numbskull, but there is no question he has more remaining years / more upside than Winfield.

We are in the rare, luxurious position of being able to gamble on a mid rd pick. I wonder if we shouldn't roll the dice on the Badger, offer him very little front money and saddle the terms of his contract with caveats and incentives. Even if beaten out by Thurmond, he would still be a weapon on special teams if he gets his shiz together. If he don't...we lose a valuable pick in this draft but that happens with almost every team in almost every draft.

I am not suggesting we go through this route...just something I woke up thinking about and wondered if others see this as a viable option?
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.

That's hard to say. First, Winfield is solid in coverage but by no means elite or "lock down." Also, many could legitimately argue that the lack of pass rush was the primary culprit in those losses.

It would be better to look at losses where we were hurt by the opponent's run game, because that's where Winfield honestly excels.

loss vs. SF they had 175 yards rushing averaging 5.5 ypc
    loss vs. MIA they had 189 rushing yards averaging 6.8 ypc

two losses directly due to the run game right there
    bigcc
    NET Veteran

The NFC Championship game............
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Well........this story sure has gone places.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• HawkFan72 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.

I know he had some really bad plays throughout the year, but I never pinned any of the losses directly on him.

That can be said for any player due to it being a team game and not an individual sport. As an individual player though he was horrible. Go back and watch him give up plays to everyone he lined up against.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• T-Sizzle wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:

That can be said for any player due to it being a team game and not an individual sport. As an individual player though he was horrible. Go back and watch him give up plays to everyone he lined up against.

On one of the KJR shows, it told how many targets Trufaunt had and what the Opponents QB rating was. Trufant was targeted IIRC 40+ last year and surrendered a 90+ QB rating on those plays.

Meanwhile Winfield was targeted in the top 5 most targets last year and the QB rating on those plays was in the low 70's. Winfield would present a HUGE upgrade over Trufant. It's too bad we couldn't trust a younger player last year to play in those situations, that experience would be invaluable this year.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... sions-soon

"Winfield realizes that while he can take his time making a decision, and no one is rushing him, at some point he will need to pick a team and get going with their program. Those close to him expect that decision to come this weekend."
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• bigcc wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:

loss vs. SF they had 175 yards rushing averaging 5.5 ypc
    loss vs. MIA they had 189 rushing yards averaging 6.8 ypc

two losses directly due to the run game right there

He definitely would've helped against Bush. I feel like Winfield is built to tackle backs with elusive ability like that. He probably would've helped against Gore, too since I think Gore's compact size makes him tough to tackle.

Ultimately, though, I think the lack of a consistent pass rush was key in the losses against Detroit, Miami and Atlanta. If you look at the New England and Washington games, the difference was the ability to get to the quarterback on the final drives.

Not to say we couldn't use an upgrade at nickel back. We do. I just don't think you can hang our losses completely on that position.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:
    He definitely would've helped against Bush. I feel like Winfield is built to tackle backs with elusive ability like that. He probably would've helped against Gore, too since I think Gore's compact size makes him tough to tackle.

Ultimately, though, I think the lack of a consistent pass rush was key in the losses against Detroit, Miami and Atlanta. If you look at the New England and Washington games, the difference was the ability to get to the quarterback on the final drives.

Not to say we couldn't use an upgrade at nickel back. We do. I just don't think you can hang our losses completely on that position.

Agreed, sorry if I came off sounding that way, pass rush was CLEARLY the number one priority heading into the offseason, but with that handled I feel like DT/ a nickel CB are by far the biggest needs we have left.
    bigcc
    NET Veteran

• I know he's a good player, but the 35 year old Winfield is making this seem like a Peyton Manning type acquisition.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22058500/redskins-seahawks-or-vikings-antoine-winfield-likely-to-make-decisions-soon

"Winfield realizes that while he can take his time making a decision, and no one is rushing him, at some point he will need to pick a team and get going with their program. Those close to him expect that decision to come this weekend."

STOP TEASIN ME!!!!
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• IMO in winfield you get a guy who's not going to make a brain-fart mistake at a critical moment, that's why I'm all for this move.

Even though I feel like Jeremy Lane has a lot of promise...I don't trust him yet in those critical moments where a veteran has seen this thing thousands of times.

I would love to see us split time with thurmond/lane/winfield.

Thurmond could be good but who knows. Jeremy Lane is a big play guy, he could be our Jordan Babineaux. Winfield in there when the game is on the line to not let a bone head mistake take place.
    Last edited by Hawknballs on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Not hanging losses on a player or position. Simply referring to upgraded play that reduces the amount Brady targets Welker over the middle, Turner having a season best game, Stafford abusing the middle, not blitzing from the LB spot to protect the middle and like was said of the SanFran and Miami games having RB's go off on us.

The benefit of Winfield is he helps in all those areas and considering how close every game was he might have been the difference maker in several of those games.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Is Lane really a prospect as a nickel corner? It seems they like him a lot as depth behind Browner/Sherman at the outside corner positions, but perhaps Maxwell more in covering the slot. I think Thurmond can be great in that position, but obviously his ability to stay on the field is a legitimate concern at this point.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Right Rob...Winfield ain't coming to Seattle. Time to talk draft for depth and "that" player. :)
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• You silly people.

Speculation = no news
    Rumor = no news
    No news = no news

You can't read between the lines when there are no lines.

(And making up your own lines doesn't count.)
    Last edited by BlueTalon on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Think of it this way.

Winfield would be the biggest upgrade possible in a definite position of need.

He would push the Hawks D over the top of the Whiners D.

I believe that he alone could very well result in the Hawks offense having one additional possession per game over what they achieved last year.

That's HUGE, especially with what we expect to happen with Russell totally unleashed for the full season.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Just sayin....Tyrann Matheiu has potential to be a younger quicker and better playmaker version of winfield...IFF he pans out. If its a position of need..if they miss out on winfield...still hope to draft Tyrann.
    Shadyhawk182
    NET Starter

• Shadyhawk182 wrote:Just sayin....Tyrann Matheiu has potential to be a younger quicker and better playmaker version of winfield...IFF he pans out. If its a position of need..if they miss out on winfield...still hope to draft Tyrann.

I was definitely hoping the same. I figure he would go 3/4th round so we have a shot. And you know JS/PC like unique skillsets and can handle off field stuff or don't hold it against a player with a checkered past.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Janoris Jenkins worked out pretty well for St. Louis, and he was also a knucklehead in college. Matheiu seems like a pretty good fit skill wise considering Seattle's needs at slot CB and punt returner. But who could guess with this FO's unpredictability on draft day?
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• There is that. Also they very well may just let Percy be the KR/PR guy but it would sure be nice to pick up someone else to do it. Janoris Jenkins was a steal and I think Tyrann is going to be in the same vein. It isn't like a good majority of people don't at least dabble in marijuana smoking. It tells you something good when a guy can stop that path and rededicate themselves.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• KCHawkGirl wrote:There is that. Also they very well may just let Percy be the KR/PR guy but it would sure be nice to pick up someone else to do it. Janoris Jenkins was a steal and I think Tyrann is going to be in the same vein. It isn't like a good majority of people don't at least dabble in marijuana smoking. It tells you something good when a guy can stop that path and rededicate themselves.

Except that nobody knows he's actually stopped that path for good. At this point all that is known is that it's a guy with a history of self-destructive behaviors. And a majority of folks may have "dabbled" but a majority do not continue on after repeated failed drug tests start jeopardizing their future.

I'll roll with whatever Schneider wants to do but let's call it what it is: dumpster-diving for a steal. Let's not go convincing ourselves that a history of drug abuse is somehow a strength here. People made the same statements about Mike Williams, and after a year of a resurgence, the guy slid right back into irrelevance, illustrating the notion that a history of failing to live up to your potential weighs a lot more heavily than momentary flashes of "rededication." Nothing against BMW by the way I liked the guy.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information