NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3f4lq6kp said:
Please, you're about as high end as Roland's Hyundai.

Roland drives a hyundai? christ that man needs life coach, maybe KJ can do it? He definetly won't be going any NBA games next season.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
pinksheets":2s5alhfi said:
Note that KJ can take a solid minute to imply that they're matching but can't say it unequivocally. There's a reason for that.

They aren't matching and it's unlikely that they commit to do so. It's not easy to make money off of an NBA team in a middling market whose residents have little spending power with zero chance of the big bucks from an RSN. Putting down a $525m valuation ain't worth it, it'd be a charity move. Take into consideration that if they entered into a binding agreement with the Maloofs to match the offer if the Seattle bid is denied, they'd be doing so without a binding arena deal. They'd then own a grossly overpriced NBA team relative to its market and that city council would have a ton of leverage to work out a deal (keep in mind that they really haven't worked one out, just a list of ideas) in their favor.
That's a great point. If the highest-valued team in history is in Seattle with Hanson's already-approved Temple of Solomon, that's one thing, but if its' the half-ass Kings without an arena, the owners are absolutely screwed. This friday demand feels like a very carefully concieved power move by high-level corporate lawyers who know precisely what the stakes are for the Sac group.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":ph7w95wv said:
At this point in time, the Kings/Sonics team is Schrödinger's cat, and Stern is the single decaying atom in the box.
Are you expostulating the team could potentially become both the Sonics AND the Kings?

drdiags

Reaction score
Seems fair that if the NBA turns down the bid for the Kings that they somehow make up for the good faith effort Hansen/Balmer folks made with the non-refundable $30M. All this could be just to firm up the Sac group's offer so that there are no questions if the BoG decide to turn down the sale. Just like the Maloof's request for a firm, in writing offer sheet to them that they have as a backup offer.

This is a unique situation where a second competing offer is in play instead of a straight yes/no on a group purchasing a team. Usually the BoG just reviews a sale on its merits alone. This Sac/NBA option should have been viewed on its own merit but the owner chose not to work with the locals and the NBA is trying to save face after the disaster that was OKC/Seattle relocation approval.

I consider these recent actions just due diligence and not totally tied to how the BoG and owners are leaning as far as approving/rejecting the Hansen deal. The Stern/NBA split story could be misreading actions vs intent as well.

One more week of angst for Sonics supporters.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":1isoqg0y said:
What the hell is going on?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... Kings.aspx

I'm not liking that at all, all of a sudden the NBA wants to be charitable? and shut your punk ass face, Sac!

You have got to be kidding me.......NBA is against us again!

And even better, that 7% seems to be going to the Kings:
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 49m
MT @kcrabienick: Bankruptcy trustee expects to complete deal today w/Lucchetti for Cook 7% share of #nbakings. Would supersede Hansen deal.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Daniels was just on Bob & Groz. Sounding (to me) like nobody knows what's really going on. The one thing that seems quite possible, is that Stern actually is holding Sacramento's hand through this thing.

Throwdown

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2ffhmi9e said:
Daniels was just on Bob & Groz. Sounding (to me) like nobody knows what's really going on. The one thing that seems quite possible, is that Stern actually is holding Sacramento's hand through this thing.

I just heard that, the best thing about it is that we have owners on our side right now, and Stern may not have the pull that he once had.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":19i0i3wt said:

Stern still has some pull with the owners or at least enough of the owners no matter what CD and others say. Him being on Sac's side scares me to death.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":34om06y7 said:
E.C. Laloosh":34om06y7 said:

Stern still has some pull with the owners or at least enough of the owners no matter what CD and others say. Him being on Sac's side scares me to death.

How much pull is it really though? The toad is on his way out next season, how much does Stern scare these guys?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Throwdown":25xac1he said:
Blitzer88":25xac1he said:
E.C. Laloosh":25xac1he said:

How much pull is it really though? The toad is on his way out next season, how much does Stern scare these guys?

He's only got to have pull with eight of them... that is what concerns me.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
If the nba turns down this deal they truely are screwed. They can never ask cities to put up money for
arenas. If they turn this one down.

Shaz

Reaction score
Stern created this whole mess

Expansion is the only thing they can do to satisfy both parties without stupidity coming into play

Blitzer88

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":346w54xd said:
Throwdown":346w54xd said:

He's only got to have pull with eight of them... that is what concerns me.

Thats how I feel. I think he still has enough pull to get 8 owners on his side.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
dunceface":2ahvl779 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2ahvl779 said:
At this point in time, the Kings/Sonics team is Schrödinger's cat, and Stern is the single decaying atom in the box.

Hahaha relevant.

Glad somebody got it.

Lords of Scythia":2ahvl779 said:
Seahawk Sailor":2ahvl779 said:
Are you expostulating the team could potentially become both the Sonics AND the Kings?

No. Only that right now the team exists, as does the hypothetical Schrödinger's cat, in two distinct realities, both as the Kings and as the Sonics. From now until the meeting on the 18th/19th, the team is in limbo, status unknown, equally Kings and Sonics at the same time. And Stern is the single decaying atom in the box that decides the fate. There is no way of knowing that fate until after the meetings adjourn.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It does not make any $$ sense for the Kings to stay. The owners share the media monies. Seattle is a much larger market both corporate HQ and media. Money talks and in the end IMO that is all the owners will care about.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IMHO, if this thing goes past NEXT friday (not tomorrow the one after that), expansion will happen and soon. IMO it makes sense to let the Seattle group have the Kings and give the Sac group a year to come up with a real true BINDING OFFER and a BINDING new arena deal that is rock solid that isnt built on the house of cards that the current Sac deal is. If the sac group cames up with a solid binding offer and binding new arena deal then they get an expansion team and only miss a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.