Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3qakugdy said:
volsunghawk":3qakugdy said:
DavidSeven":3qakugdy said:
Thanks a lot, Ed Werder. First, you publish an unsubstantiated report that the deal was close then you start a feeding frenzy for Winfield's services since teams are now more likely to copy what the Seahawks do. Poor reporting might cost us this one.

Personally, I don't think that Werder is a poor reporter. But I do believe that he has shown that he'll disseminate without question whatever a team or agent wants him to. Wouldn't be surprised if Werder was told that a deal was close by Winfield's agent in order to spark that feeding frenzy.

Yeah, I said this earlier in the thread. It felt like Winfield's people floated this info out there for leverage from the jump.

I still disagree (although less) the Vikings released him... what kind of leverage does Winfield have? He has to limp back with a far more acceptable deal to the team that released him?

Thats not very good leverage.

Not saying he wont be back in Minnesota. but if he does it wont be anything close to what the Seahawks offered. It will be purely emotional.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ixfkve0u said:
DavidSeven":ixfkve0u said:
volsunghawk":ixfkve0u said:
Personally, I don't think that Werder is a poor reporter. But I do believe that he has shown that he'll disseminate without question whatever a team or agent wants him to. Wouldn't be surprised if Werder was told that a deal was close by Winfield's agent in order to spark that feeding frenzy.

Yeah, I said this earlier in the thread. It felt like Winfield's people floated this info out there for leverage from the jump.

I still disagree (although less) the Vikings released him... what kind of leverage does Winfield have? He has to limp back with a far more acceptable deal to the team that released him?

Thats not very good leverage.

Not saying he wont be back in Minnesota. but if he does it wont be anything close to what the Seahawks offered. It will be purely emotional.

What better way to gain leverage than creating the perception of demand coming from the hottest front office in the league? Just because he's taking a pay cut doesn't mean he can't squeeze all he can out of a new deal. To say that it's pure coincidence that these "last minute teams" emerged immediately after someone reported Seattle had an offer on the table is a stretch. If this was by design, then Winfield has succesfully used the media and the Seahawks to make himself look like the hottest FA on the market. No one was talking about him two weeks ago.

We should all be glad that the deals with Harvin, Avril and Bennett were actually completed before being leaked to the media.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It would be nice to sign him, but in the bigger picture he would be the 5th back. That in itself would be hard to take for a starter and still a very good DB. I just can't seem him going back to MIN. They cut him, didn't by accounts try to get him to agree to a restructure or even let him know it was coming. Sounds like disrespect, and when ego is involved...

He sees what is happening with the older players that are FA. A lot are still available. He is just trying to milk some more $$ from someone.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2cga9s6m said:
It would be nice to sign him, but in the bigger picture he would be the 5th back. That in itself would be hard to take for a starter and still a very good DB. I just can't seem him going back to MIN. They cut him, didn't by accounts try to get him to agree to a restructure or even let him know it was coming. Sounds like disrespect, and when ego is involved...

He sees what is happening with the older players that are FA. A lot are still available. He is just trying to milk some more $$ from someone.

I am sure they are telling him "RW came in as a back-up and earned the starting spot, on this team you always have a chance to compete for the starting spot."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3idae7k1 said:

Well this goes back to the leverage thing from a few posts ago. Not only did they release him and not offer any restructure, they made it quite clear he wouldnt be able to compete for a cback spot.

Now, he could return and fill the same role there as he would here... but he would be playing behind two cbs he's probably better than.

I dont know, i figured it would be done by now so i'm losing confidence it gets done. If it doesnt oh well

OP
OP
GCrow

GCrow

Reaction score
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 2h
CB Antoine Winfield was close to deal with Seahawks and still seems his preference but other teams now involved at last minute. Stay tuned

That was Werder 2 hours ago. I'm sure i'm looking into this too much and def have no clue, however I could see Seattle's FO having a set amount of money they want to rollover for next year, and have given Winfield their offer that they won't budge on. Now I bet his agent is just trying to see how much money he can get from other teams - unless say another strong contendor (say Broncos for example) called Winfield's camp up and one upped our offer?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sutz

Reaction score
GCrow":14h7cmio said:
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 2h
CB Antoine Winfield was close to deal with Seahawks and still seems his preference but other teams now involved at last minute. Stay tuned

That was Werder 2 hours ago. I'm sure i'm looking into this too much and def have no clue, however I could see Seattle's FO having a set amount of money they want to rollover for next year, and have given Winfield their offer that they won't budge on. Now I bet his agent is just trying to see how much money he can get from other teams - unless say another strong contendor (say Broncos for example) called Winfield's camp up and one upped our offer?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, it's a safe bet the FO won't overspend for a player in what is already an area of strength for the team. He'd be a great addition, but not "at any cost."

formido

Reaction score
If it's not done at this point he's looking for the most money and someone else will definitely pay more than we're willing to.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Hmmm, still absolutely nothing informative about this situation. Annnnnd moving on.

NYCoug

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":hqwcovsz said:
BlueTalon":hqwcovsz said:
It seems like a lot of smoke.

Pay no attention to the smoke.
Correct. I am in "I will believe it when I see it" mode. It smells fishy to me at this point.

I've got to admit, despite my letter to Antoine, this does feel a lot like Hugh Douglas or John Abraham all over again...

But things are different now! This team is a legit contender. Come on Antoine!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NYCoug":2nvzq3q6 said:
KCHawkGirl":2nvzq3q6 said:
BlueTalon":2nvzq3q6 said:
It seems like a lot of smoke.

Pay no attention to the smoke.
Correct. I am in "I will believe it when I see it" mode. It smells fishy to me at this point.

I've got to admit, despite my letter to Antoine, this does feel a lot like Hugh Douglas or John Abraham all over again...

But things are different now! This team is a legit contender. Come on Antoine!
I hope it's just me being negative because he really would put us over the top. I am hopeful but in a "wait and see" mode and wouldn't be shocked if we didn't land him.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=63&f=1554&t=11459365

"He's a great guy to have in the locker room," Henderson said. "He teaches the young guys everything that he knows, he doesn't hold anything back. He's willing to talk to you about whatever it may be. He's a great guy to have around and that's not even talking about what he does on the football field...It's invaluable for us to have him around."

Status
Not open for further replies.