30 Great IPA's to try (India Pale Ale)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
30 Great IPA's to try (India Pale Ale)
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:01 am

Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 am
  • I've had 17 beers on that list.

    Abner, from Hill Farmstead, is just about impossible to get unless you live in Vermont. :(

    The list is missing Boneyard's RPM or Hop Venom which are two of the best beers in the US, IMO. If you see them in Oregon (they're out of Bend), buy 'em. (I think they distribute to WA infrequently, too.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14391
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 am
  • Damn! I've only had four, but a lot of other great IPAs that didn't make their list. That 120 Minute by Dogfishhead looks amazing. When I brewed, I could never get the ABV that high without killing even the strongest yeast I found, but I did quite a bit of long dry hopping, and I can attest to how awesome a beer is when it's been dry hopped for extra time. Delicious!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18160
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:51 am
  • Between my raging dyslexia and Largent's fat fingers, I thought this was a thread about Internet Service Providers.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11193
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Damn! I've only had four, but a lot of other great IPAs that didn't make their list. That 120 Minute by Dogfishhead looks amazing. When I brewed, I could never get the ABV that high without killing even the strongest yeast I found, but I did quite a bit of long dry hopping, and I can attest to how awesome a beer is when it's been dry hopped for extra time. Delicious!


    The 120 Minute when fresh is extremely sweet. You can find it in Washington, once in awhile, at better beer stores. I have a bottle I've been sitting on for about 3 years now to mellow it out a bit. 120 Minute and World Wide Stout (also about 18% ABV) need to age for 3-4 years before they enter their prime.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14391
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: 30 Great IPA's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 am
  • I'm going to have to hunt for it. They're likely available at the beer and wine store Bellevue, as the place has an exceptional variety of beer.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18160
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: 30 Great IPA's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:18 am
  • Look for Hoptinium from Sierra Nevada too. It definitely belongs on this list ahead of several I have had from that list.


    I have a whisky barrel IPA brewing at home right now. Smells great.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10590
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:27 am
  • CANHawk wrote:Between my raging dyslexia and Largent's fat fingers, I thought this was a thread about Internet Service Providers.


    That's because it was before the geriatric OP changed the title
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8688
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 am
  • CANHawk wrote:Between my raging dyslexia and Largent's fat fingers, I thought this was a thread about Internet Service Providers.


    I always have a fat finger for you buttercup.

    Also another good one IPA is Skullers IPA fro mt.Vernon. And I was lucky enough to try the new coffee IPA brewed in partnership with stone.
    Last edited by Largent80 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22145
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


Re: 30 Great IPA's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:03 pm
  • Now this thread is the very definition of a Public Service Announcement. Thank you Rob!
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10768
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: 30 Great IPA's to try (India Pale Ale)
Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:33 pm
  • Thanks for this list! Love trying new beers but I've been sticking with the same couple lately. Only have had 4 on this list. Another one I think should be up there is Bridgeport's IPA (Oregon). Their red is really good too.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6858
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:Between my raging dyslexia and Largent's fat fingers, I thought this was a thread about Internet Service Providers.


    I always have a fat finger for you buttercup.

    Also another good one IPA is Skullers IPA fro mt.Vernon. And I was lucky enough to try the new coffee IPA brewed in partnership with stone.


    Tease.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11193
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • I've only had 8 or 9 of those but I want all of them in me right now.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13964
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • That's a decent list but the PNW got shined and there is really good beer here. I have had most of the Ca. beers. I don't buy the East Coast brands. I've yet to have any good local beer east of the Rockies. Could be just the luck of the draw though.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9166
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • There is good local beer east of the Rockies, but I agree the lion's share of good micro/craft brews all come from out west. Something interesting that I just found out was that Yuengling has the 4th largest distribution of any beer producer in the U.S., eclipsed by only the big three mega-brews. Amazing that they do not distribute in the west, being that big. They're decent drinking, too. Used to drink Yuengling on a regular basis back east as they were comparatively cheap for the taste and body.

    I really enjoyed brewing IPA's when I brewed. One of my very favorites. They're stoopid simple to do, and you can really work some great flavors and subtleties in by just adjusting yeast and hops. Changing up the grain mix allows for a whole lot more creativity, and you end up with a very drinkable beer with a decently high alcohol content. Also the high hops and alcohol content can mask any of the subtler flavors you'd rather avoid, such as water minerals or exposure to outside yeasts.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18160
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Not an IPA, but I tasted Cascade's Diesel Imperial Stout the other night (just a taste because they ran out right before I ordered, dammit). What an amazing sip. Taste like chocolate cake (in a good way). Gotta get my hands on that again. I'm usually an IPA guy but I really do enjoy a good Imp Stout.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13964
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:There is good local beer east of the Rockies, but I agree the lion's share of good micro/craft brews all come from out west. Something interesting that I just found out was that Yuengling has the 4th largest distribution of any beer producer in the U.S., eclipsed by only the big three mega-brews. Amazing that they do not distribute in the west, being that big. They're decent drinking, too. Used to drink Yuengling on a regular basis back east as they were comparatively cheap for the taste and body.

    I really enjoyed brewing IPA's when I brewed. One of my very favorites. They're stoopid simple to do, and you can really work some great flavors and subtleties in by just adjusting yeast and hops. Changing up the grain mix allows for a whole lot more creativity, and you end up with a very drinkable beer with a decently high alcohol content. Also the high hops and alcohol content can mask any of the subtler flavors you'd rather avoid, such as water minerals or exposure to outside yeasts.


    Yuengling sucks compared to many of the better PNW brews. I drink it back east but really? Its not in the same conversation as the micros out here. I think the flooded market out west hurts the smaller micros. There are so many. I also don't think they care and rather it be that way. I can list a half dozen that are equal or better to Sierra Nevada anything before I even have to use my brain to actually think about it.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9166
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Yuengling sucks compared to many of the better PNW brews. I drink it back east but really? Its not in the same conversation as the micros out here. I think the flooded market out west hurts the smaller micros. There are so many. I also don't think they care and rather it be that way. I can list a half dozen that are equal or better to Sierra Nevada anything before I even have to use my brain to actually think about it.


    Absolutely! I really just mentioned Yuengling here because I drank quite a bit of it back east, and found it astonishing it wasn't sold out west when it was the 4th largest beer company in the U.S. It pales in comparison to a whole lotta PNW craft brews.

    Bought a couple of IPA's today, including the Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, which I'm trying right now. Decent IPA. Doesn't stand out terribly other than having some very sharp bittering hops, but it's a solid brew.

    Also bought one of the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA's. Limit two per person, ten bucks a pop. But at 15-20% ABV, it should be pretty good. I'm having it tomorrow night.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18160
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • I'll probably get lambasted for this, but the Deschutes breweries "white" IPA Chainbreaker is freaking awesome. I always like to try beers that look interesting, and after drinking the first one it became my favorite beer. I especially like to try IPA's, so the thought of a "white" IPA was quite interesting. It doesn't really have the taste of an IPA, but it has a very unique and delicious flavor. It's very "spicy" in that it seems to have quite a few different flavors combined into one, and its always interesting to the pallet.

    I've never tasted a beer like it, and since trying it I've gone out of my way to get it. Definitely one to try if you like unique beer.
    User avatar
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 675
    Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:51 am
    Location: Auburn, Wa


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Yuengling sucks compared to many of the better PNW brews. I drink it back east but really? Its not in the same conversation as the micros out here. I think the flooded market out west hurts the smaller micros. There are so many. I also don't think they care and rather it be that way. I can list a half dozen that are equal or better to Sierra Nevada anything before I even have to use my brain to actually think about it.


    Absolutely! I really just mentioned Yuengling here because I drank quite a bit of it back east, and found it astonishing it wasn't sold out west when it was the 4th largest beer company in the U.S. It pales in comparison to a whole lotta PNW craft brews.

    Bought a couple of IPA's today, including the Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, which I'm trying right now. Decent IPA. Doesn't stand out terribly other than having some very sharp bittering hops, but it's a solid brew.

    Also bought one of the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA's. Limit two per person, ten bucks a pop. But at 15-20% ABV, it should be pretty good. I'm having it tomorrow night.

    I love Racer 5. A friend had me try Red Rocket and it was decent, but decided to give Racer 5 a shot because they had it on tap at BevMo.

    Yuengling, I heard about it when my cousin and his friend went over to the east coat. They were raving about it, but then again, they love Blue Moon (I admit, I drank that crap before I started getting into micros).
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6858
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • SilNWest wrote:I'll probably get lambasted for this, but the Deschutes breweries "white" IPA Chainbreaker is freaking awesome. I always like to try beers that look interesting, and after drinking the first one it became my favorite beer. I especially like to try IPA's, so the thought of a "white" IPA was quite interesting. It doesn't really have the taste of an IPA, but it has a very unique and delicious flavor. It's very "spicy" in that it seems to have quite a few different flavors combined into one, and its always interesting to the pallet.

    I've never tasted a beer like it, and since trying it I've gone out of my way to get it. Definitely one to try if you like unique beer.


    Kind of sounds like the Pike's Dry Wit, although its just a reg pale. Didn't enjoy it too much
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6858
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • SilNWest wrote:I'll probably get lambasted for this, but the Deschutes breweries "white" IPA Chainbreaker is freaking awesome. I always like to try beers that look interesting, and after drinking the first one it became my favorite beer. I especially like to try IPA's, so the thought of a "white" IPA was quite interesting. It doesn't really have the taste of an IPA, but it has a very unique and delicious flavor. It's very "spicy" in that it seems to have quite a few different flavors combined into one, and its always interesting to the pallet.

    I've never tasted a beer like it, and since trying it I've gone out of my way to get it. Definitely one to try if you like unique beer.


    You won't get lambasted by me. I love Deschutes White Chainbreaker IPA. I'm a big fan of spicy white beers, so obviously that helps, but it's a good one. I've heard Deschutes knocked a bit, but I really like most of their beers, and the prices are decent, especially with the drinkability they offer.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18160
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • -The Glove- wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Yuengling sucks compared to many of the better PNW brews. I drink it back east but really? Its not in the same conversation as the micros out here. I think the flooded market out west hurts the smaller micros. There are so many. I also don't think they care and rather it be that way. I can list a half dozen that are equal or better to Sierra Nevada anything before I even have to use my brain to actually think about it.


    Absolutely! I really just mentioned Yuengling here because I drank quite a bit of it back east, and found it astonishing it wasn't sold out west when it was the 4th largest beer company in the U.S. It pales in comparison to a whole lotta PNW craft brews.

    Bought a couple of IPA's today, including the Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, which I'm trying right now. Decent IPA. Doesn't stand out terribly other than having some very sharp bittering hops, but it's a solid brew.

    Also bought one of the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA's. Limit two per person, ten bucks a pop. But at 15-20% ABV, it should be pretty good. I'm having it tomorrow night.

    I love Racer 5. A friend had me try Red Rocket and it was decent, but decided to give Racer 5 a shot because they had it on tap at BevMo.

    Yuengling, I heard about it when my cousin and his friend went over to the east coat. They were raving about it, but then again, they love Blue Moon (I admit, I drank that crap before I started getting into micros).



    There's nothing wrong with Yuengling. Its very popualar back east. I mostly experienced it in the Mid-Atlantic where without question it is the most popular. Its just not on an elite micro level. Most beers that are mass produced aren't elite.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9166
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • SilNWest wrote:I'll probably get lambasted for this, but the Deschutes breweries "white" IPA Chainbreaker is freaking awesome. I always like to try beers that look interesting, and after drinking the first one it became my favorite beer. I especially like to try IPA's, so the thought of a "white" IPA was quite interesting. It doesn't really have the taste of an IPA, but it has a very unique and delicious flavor. It's very "spicy" in that it seems to have quite a few different flavors combined into one, and its always interesting to the pallet.

    I've never tasted a beer like it, and since trying it I've gone out of my way to get it. Definitely one to try if you like unique beer.


    I'm going to try it. Sounds interesting.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9166
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • When we used to go to Smith Rock state park to climb (in Redmond) we would always make a trip to Deshutes. I don't get the hate either. Maybe some people drank too much and got burned out. The brewery is cool and so is Bend, great town.
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22145
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


  • The Deschutes Public House in Portland is always freaking packed. I think the people who dislike Deschutes are few and far between. They have some great go-to 6 packs.

    @Zeb. I've had the Diesel Stout #2 (aged with cocoa nibs), and it's really tasty. Pity they won't ever bottle the damn thing.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14391
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: 30 Great IPA's to try (India Pale Ale)
Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 pm
  • I picked up some Chainbreaker here and am sipping it now. Pretty decent and I live in an area famous for hop bombs so this is a nice change.
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22145
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


Re: 30 Great IPA's to try (India Pale Ale)
Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:41 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:The Deschutes Public House in Portland is always freaking packed. I think the people who dislike Deschutes are few and far between. They have some great go-to 6 packs.

    @Zeb. I've had the Diesel Stout #2 (aged with cocoa nibs), and it's really tasty. Pity they won't ever bottle the damn thing.


    I'll have to keep an eye out for it, I really want to try it again.

    As to Deschutes, they're not bad. I get a sixer of Inversion or Obsidian every now and again. Hop Henge and Hop In The Dark are both delicious.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13964
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • Actually, the Chainbreaker would be the awesome summer beer. Light, but with FLAVOR. I can't stand any of the micro/macro "summer beers".... :pukeface:
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22145
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


  • Anyone like Ranger by New Belgium or Thunderhead by Pyramid? I know there are fans of Total Domination by Ninkasi (Eugene) because I've disussed it with folks here. Those are three of my favorites.


    As for Deschutes, I like Mirror Pond which is a pale ale. Their IPA. Inversion is good too. People knocking Deschutes seems to be the old tear down the top dog type of thing. I see no reason for it. Like Rob, I like their beers and the city of Bend too.


    This list is worth exploring and I have had both the ones listed that are brewed in San Diego and they are quite good. Also have had the Sierra-Nevada offering as well. I do think the Northwest was awfully under-represented on this list.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10768
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Anyone like Ranger by New Belgium or Thunderhead by Pyramid? I know there are fans of Total Domination by Ninkasi (Eugene) because I've disussed it with folks here. Those are three of my favorites.


    I like Ranger, not a fan of the Thunderhead. Prefer Redhook's Long Hammer or pretty much any of Widmer's Rotator series.

    And if you've never tried Double Take IPA, just don't. Don't let that pretty price tag sway you either. Worst "IPA" I've ever had. Taste like a cup of pennies soaked with Icehouse.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13964
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • Zebulon Dak wrote: Worst "IPA" I've ever had. Taste like a cup of pennies soaked with Icehouse.


    Icehouse+Pennies = ASS

    I.P.A.
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22145
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


  • Good to know about the Double Take IPA. Don't really care for the taste of pennies or Icehouse. As far as New Belgium goes, I really don't drink any of their beers but the Trippel. That one has a easy-drinking taste with a whole lotta alcohol content for the price. If you're looking for a high-caliber beer on the cheap, that's the way to go.

    Cracking open the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA tonight. Will update with (probably slurred) results.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18160
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • I've had 9 of those, all pretty decent... My current favorite IPA is an occasionally-available local from Blanco, TX. Herkules hops, smoky spicy bitter awesomeness.
    User avatar
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1656
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:38 am
    Location: San Antonio, TX


  • The Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is absolutely delicious! I highly do not recommend it as a good all-night beer, as it's like drinking wine with a shot of whiskey between each glass, but it's absolutely delicious! And it doesn't taste nearly as strong as it is. Goes down reeeeeeeeaaaaal smooth for the alcohol content. I will be lobbying Commander, Home Fleet for some more of it.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18160
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: 30 Great IPA's to try (India Pale Ale)
Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I've only had 8 or 9 of those but I want all of them in me right now.


    That's what she said :lol:

    Thanks for this list, now I can get drunk and have a great excuse. World exploration.
    Image
    nategreat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1328
    Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:36 am


  • Zebulon Dak wrote:And if you've never tried Double Take IPA, just don't. Don't let that pretty price tag sway you either. Worst "IPA" I've ever had. Taste like a cup of pennies soaked with Icehouse.

    Thanks for the warning Zeb. Will steer clear for sure.

    Seahawk Sailor wrote:The Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is absolutely delicious! I highly do not recommend it as a good all-night beer, as it's like drinking wine with a shot of whiskey between each glass, but it's absolutely delicious! And it doesn't taste nearly as strong as it is. Goes down reeeeeeeeaaaaal smooth for the alcohol content. I will be lobbying Commander, Home Fleet for some more of it.

    Will look for it SS. I'm not an all-night drinking type and love IPAs as much for the taste as the alcohol so this should be right up my alley. Thanks for the heads up.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10768
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Abner, from Hill Farmstead, is just about impossible to get unless you live in Vermont. :(



    I'm resurrecting this thread because I want to brag about the fact that I was able to get a growler of Abner filled and sent to me by a good trading buddy and I am going to consume it on Saturday.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14391
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: 30 Great IPA's to try (India Pale Ale)
Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 am
  • You lucky dog!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 13964
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: 30 Great IPS's to try
Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Abner, from Hill Farmstead, is just about impossible to get unless you live in Vermont. :(



    I'm resurrecting this thread because I want to brag about the fact that I was able to get a growler of Abner filled and sent to me by a good trading buddy and I am going to consume it on Saturday.


    Very nice.

    I'll also add that Fremont Homefront IPA to the list of really great, really hard to find beers. I've heard a lot of folks say good things about their Interurban IPA. The Interurban is a good beer, but in comparison to Homefront, it's a big disappointment. Huge drop in taste for me.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18160
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • I have only had about 4 or 5 of the ones on that list. Surprised no one mentioned the Diamond Knot Industrial IPA. Before they changed the menu (not for the better) recently at the Camano Lodge I was stopping in a few times a week for one of those! I have been buying the SN torpedo quite a bit lately.
    #NEXTMANUP
    User avatar
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2424
    Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am


  • Largent80 wrote:When we used to go to Smith Rock state park to climb (in Redmond) we would always make a trip to Deshutes. I don't get the hate either. Maybe some people drank too much and got burned out. The brewery is cool and so is Bend, great town.


    Agreed--Bend is great. Looking forward to stopping by a couple of the breweries in Bend when we go to Sunriver in a couple of weeks.
    Yoonhawk
    * NET Attorney *
     
    Posts: 698
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:58 am
    Location: Seattle, WA




It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: taz291819 and 5 guests