NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Blitzer88":40t0ru7w said:
Dale Kasler @dakasler
Mayor on offer to Maloofs: "They know the number." No breakdown in communication; says he doesn't know why they issued ultimatum
3:16 AM - 11 Apr 13

I guess this was said by KJ during halftime of the Kings game tonight.
Sounds like, Sac has a number and they're standing by it. If this is the case, bring on the champagne boys!

dunceface

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":wx3o6yvq said:
At this point in time, the Kings/Sonics team is Schrödinger's cat, and Stern is the single decaying atom in the box.

Hahaha relevant.

Msfann

Reaction score
This talk about stern trying to help sac is probably him just going through the motions in case things get ugly, he can say he did everything he could and doesn't look like he's completely abandoning sac.

I'm starting to think Kj is doing the same thing. If he appears to be busting his ass trying to save the team he'll be a hero to the people of Sacramento after the team leaves and keep getting elected.

I have a feeling this is all preemptive damage control and for the most part this is a done deal.

The Seattle group has done an amazing job doing EVERYTHING right and the sac group has done way too little way too late.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Uh on............Pink, don't tell me you are wavering too........ :Dunno: ou were the only one keeping me somewhat away from the ledge.

"It's a tough call but I agree. If Stern is not committed to just making sure the majority turns into an overwhelming consensus and is willing to go vote by vote to get his way, I think we lose. I do think the owners are all business, but I don’t think this will be a Stern v. BoG war, I think he can pry enough to give him a parting gift if this is all he really wants before retirement."

pinksheets

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3h6vue2i said:
Uh on............Pink, don't tell me you are wavering too........ :Dunno: ou were the only one keeping me somewhat away from the ledge.

"It's a tough call but I agree. If Stern is not committed to just making sure the majority turns into an overwhelming consensus and is willing to go vote by vote to get his way, I think we lose. I do think the owners are all business, but I don’t think this will be a Stern v. BoG war, I think he can pry enough to give him a parting gift if this is all he really wants before retirement."
NO. Don't you go on SonicsRising where I do my rollercoaster riding so I can come here and be a good Sonics-father to you!

I do think Stern can pull this off if he wants his legacy to be a contentious fight to keep a team in a poor economic market just because it was his pet project. If he wants to fall on his sword and alienate a great ownership group just to play hero in his final year, even though he'd take a ton of flack for screwing Seattle underhandedly again, I think he probably has enough clout to pull in the favors to get only 8 owners to go that way.

I don't think he will. I think he can be talked out of trying this, I'm not even sure he's committed to going all the way in this, just that if he prefers to be a commissioner that goes out in a blaze of glory pissing off most of his league's owners, I think he might be able to pull it off. He might also be asked to resign by the NBA for interfering and acting as an agent of the Sacramento investor group.

So, do I think Stern could call in enough favors to keep the team in Sacramento if he's willing to bet his entire reputation on it? Sure.

But you know what I believe is more likely? That I'm buying my boy Blitzer a beer at a Sonics game this year.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Worth noting that Cuban said this a while back:

"And so - whether Sacramento or any team - it's going to be up to somebody to go in there and acquire the team, and then make an application to move the team to Seattle. What I can tell you is I can't imagine any owner standing in the way of that. … I'd be shocked if any owner stood up and said that was a bad idea."

TestMo1337

Reaction score
What I will always cling to; Owners don't want to be told what to do by other Owners.

This is not like the vote to approve the Sonics to OKC (when Cuban and Allen voted "no" or abstained from voting) due to the fact that this is a clear-cut move that drives up the value of the NBA as a product. Sacramento is the 11th most valuable team in the NBA; should the owners deny Hansen and his group, they are voting down the value of their own franchises.

Balmer, Hanson and Nordstrom are not buying the team as a sound business move... it's definitely leaning towards "sports charity" and that is why Sacramento is having such a hard time. I view this exactly the same when Balmer offer Bennett and his group $350 for the Sonics contingent of getting the city and country to transfer the Arena tax to extend to KeyArena. A last ditch effort that is good in theory, but not based on any true backing.

Throwdown

Reaction score
sammyc521":wn61dbe8 said:
What I will always cling to; Owners don't want to be told what to do by other Owners.

This is not like the vote to approve the Sonics to OKC (when Cuban and Allen voted "no" or abstained from voting) due to the fact that this is a clear-cut move that drives up the value of the NBA as a product. Sacramento is the 11th most valuable team in the NBA; should the owners deny Hansen and his group, they are voting down the value of their own franchises.

Balmer, Hanson and Nordstrom are not buying the team as a sound business move... it's definitely leaning towards "sports charity" and that is why Sacramento is having such a hard time. I view this exactly the same when Balmer offer Bennett and his group $350 for the Sonics contingent of getting the city and country to transfer the Arena tax to extend to KeyArena. A last ditch effort that is good in theory, but not based on any true backing.

Boom!

-salute-

I can't wait to watch KJs presser on the 19th conceding, god that's gonna be beautiful!

CPHawk

Reaction score
As someone who isnt really a sonic fan (no not really a blazer fan much either, since the jail blazer years i began to lose intrest. Then they signed with comcast, which made it so my part of the state couldnt see the games) it seems to me the Sactown people are blowing smoke. KJ continues to talk a good game, but yet he won't really say what the offer is and how they plan to purchase the land for the arena. In fact if they do keep the team, I won't be shocked to never see this arena built.

It seems the Hansen group has been very forthright about the offer and new arena. Again from a spot of casual observer, the Seattle guys have there stuff together a lot more the sac people. In an ideal world I would want to see both city's get to have an NBA team, but if the owners have to choose I don't see at this point how Seattle doesn't get the team.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":32iyw1il said:
Might as well kill this thread. Kings are staying put.

Bet??
One thing we know for sure....

You can't get anyone from Sacramento to put down any actual money on this thing.

If you lose the bet, you owe him $100, if he loses, he pledges that he'll give you a fair and competitive amount in return.

Do i get odds?

Ha ha. I can see your level of confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.