NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I just got home from work so have been basically following this story by glancing at twiter when I could, but my early impression is that this is the beginning of the end.

I know the Maloofs are jerks and idiots, but they didn't do this on their own. KJ has been running his mouth ever since April 3rd, putting words into the mouths of the NBA Board of Governors, telling people openly about conversations that happened behind closed doors, etc., all a bunch of things someone who doesn't have an inside track would do (namely pretending, publicly, that they have an inside track). Yesterday, what happened? Bizarre propaganda media blitz from just about every Sacramento based reporter. They have parroted KJ all along, and even reportedly held off on reporting stories that would cross KJ's efforts (even though they were true). The propaganda blitz, in my eyes, was a blatant attempt to shift the narrative as hard in one direction as possible, to try to make the Kings staying an inevitability, painting the NBA in a corner to follow that narrative. I mean today Steinberg even said they matched the offer dollar for dollar, but quickly had to retract that statement (probably because they woke the sleeping giant).

Yes, the sleeping giant. Like I said, the Maloofs have not set this deadline and made this public statement to Sacramento's group to put up or shut up once and for all on their own. They certainly would not do this without Hansen and Ballmer's blessing. They seem to have a decent partnership with Hansen and Ballmer, and soliciting another offer (even as a "backup") would be potentially legally troublesome for them and running it by Chris and Steve would just make good sense to avoid that. Perhaps Hansen and Ballmer even endorsed the idea. But Hansen and Ballmer wouldn't go rogue. They've been working with the NBA for a while now, they've held to their gag order, etc. etc., and would not want to burn any bridges and would never take the risk. Which is why I think that sleeping giant has been awoken, and that's the NBA. I would not be surprised at all if the NBA has grown tired of KJ's PR campaign and attempts to politic the league to make the decision he desires. Stern and the NBA have always wanted to come out of this thing looking clean, and KJ has made that night impossible right now, so it would not shock me at all to hear that the NBA endorsed this plan to say "Ok, put your money where your mouth is. Put it in writing that you will be paying the Maloofs the same amount as Hansen in the event that the current PSA is denied." Sacramento's group hasn't put any money down. They've been all talk, and now they're talking with a level of arrogance and straight up bullsh*t that has made the situation untenable. If they don't match the offer, it gives the NBA all the room in the world to say "look, we gave you a chance, but you didn't put up the money."

And according to Chris Daniels, the numbers are still way off.

I like what Furness said: If Sacramento fails to match the offer, it's game over; if they do match the offer, it's game on.

Trust Chris Hansen.

pinksheets

Reaction score
grizbob":2bmnvo2h said:
SacHawk2.0":2bmnvo2h said:
Might as well kill this thread. Kings are staying put.

Bet??
One thing we know for sure....

You can't get anyone from Sacramento to put down any actual money on this thing.

If you lose the bet, you owe him $100, if he loses, he pledges that he'll give you a fair and competitive amount in return.

pehawk

Reaction score
I said it way back in page 20-something, but, pinksheets is carrying ALOT of us in this thread. I check this thread every few hours to get pink's cold-blooded analysis of it. Or, I seek out pinks posts in this thread when/if I hear something concerning. Whatever the case, I always feel better about things.

Pink, I'm Bette and you're the Wind Beneath my Wings, hermano. Much, much, much thank yous.

Sac

Reaction score
pinksheets":1kx3o1nc said:
grizbob":1kx3o1nc said:
SacHawk2.0":1kx3o1nc said:
Might as well kill this thread. Kings are staying put.

Bet??
One thing we know for sure....

You can't get anyone from Sacramento to put down any actual money on this thing.

If you lose the bet, you owe him $100, if he loses, he pledges that he'll give you a fair and competitive amount in return.

Do i get odds?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Zybot":z575sty8 said:
You don't really want the NBA to cut the Blazers do you? I'm a Portland transplant and a Blazer fan. Most Blazer fans want to see the Sonics back. The team has good support, and a good owner.
Notice the winky eyed smiley? It was a joke.

chris98251

Reaction score
With a week to go before the Board of Govenors and no concrete offer to buy, and no concrete Arena plan to look at, all this media footage and press conferences from Sacramento and leading it Two politicians in Steinburg and Johnson I can only assume the Maloofs who were pissed off at how things have went there, the NBA which wants this to look and feel legit compared to the Seattle fiasco and the Hansen group all have grown tired of the posterizeing to get sentiment on their side of the City.

KJ is trying to manage this like a political campaign with misinformation, getting a lot of face time and using his name. Is he even part of the group or put any money in this deal to be the face of the ownership group? The NBA has to be looking at this as the Maloofs were bad, but who invited the rest of the circus to the party. Do we want this group to be part of our league?

I think the more KJ spouts and gets in the headlines now the deeper the hole they are digging. As one person said on KJR today, Sacramento can't sue if they get turned down, sueing the NBA will make getting a team impossible in the future. Nickels never was public and fought for keeping the Sonics anywhere close to KJ, but he was also not dumb enough to try to sue the NBA for more money. Yeah they reached a settlement for the Bennett group to leave, but it was done quickly and the politicians were more interested in seeing what money they could get for the Pink Elephant that is Key arena then keeping the team here.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 1h
I don't like what I am hearing out of NYC. My mind clearly says SEA, but political weight in CA no joke, much bigger than KJ.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 53m
What I'm saying is this is much bigger than the cast of characters has been. This isn't whales, its warships. I still believe

Brock Huard seems to be concerned now too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2lj40l2e said:
Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 1h
I don't like what I am hearing out of NYC. My mind clearly says SEA, but political weight in CA no joke, much bigger than KJ.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 53m
What I'm saying is this is much bigger than the cast of characters has been. This isn't whales, its warships. I still believe

Brock Huard seems to be concerned now too.

CA political weight isn't what it appears, we have two of the biggest Senators as far as influence in DC in Cantwell and Murrey, if they try to play big league politics I'm sure they will get involved as well. Remember Slade Gorton is still highly influencial as well. He knows how the sports game is played. Shame he was involved in that leak that was part of the litigation we were using to keep the Sonics from moving but his experience in the arena is much better then anyone in California save anyone associated with the Raiders.

dunceface

Reaction score
It seems like Brock is playing scaredy cat so he doesn't come off sounding cold or insensitive when this barely believable crap comea out of the Sac press...

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Msfann":2dkb8bph said:
Zybot":2dkb8bph said:
You don't really want the NBA to cut the Blazers do you? I'm a Portland transplant and a Blazer fan. Most Blazer fans want to see the Sonics back. The team has good support, and a good owner.

I think he was just messing with the local blazer fans a bit, nobody would want to see the blazers go anywhere for real.

The sonics/Blazers rivalry has always been more about a little fun trash talking and not about hate.

I'm a fan of no team until the Sonics come back but I would much rather see the blazer's succeed than others. (even though the nba is dead to me until we get another team)

I went to the OKC/POR game last year, at the end after the game a few of us wher eshouting SUUUUPPEER, SOOOONICCS and a portland fan told us to **** off and this is about POR not seattle, a fight was brewing and I said " dude what are you going to do to him? they already took our team." the portland fan laughed and we all walked away.

dunceface

Reaction score
Sounds like more of the same crap to me...Stern has been careful to posture himself to seem neutral in this whole thing and these alleged pro-Sac efforts are prob just that

pinksheets

Reaction score
So Stern wants to go out a Sactown hero in his last year?

The owners want to make money for all of the years. Stern is as lame as a duck can get.

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
As a 33 year Laker fan, (I know some of you hate them. I get that often.) I've been hoping you guys would get your Sonics back. And still hope you do.

I actually wish both teams could keep theirs, impossible but if there is enough money floating around for this bidding war just expand the damn league.

And I HATE the Kings.. So had I a vote, I'd say eff em and their cowbells.

Good luck..

pinksheets

Reaction score
The thing about expansion is cutting that pie 31 ways vs. 30.

Is an NBA with 31 teams with Seattle in the fold worth more than a 30 team NBA with Sacramento instead?

I don't know enough about the financials, but I'd guess, unless only a handful of markets are net positives for the league, they would be.

I think the worry for Sac is that when you consider expansion or just relocation and list the 4 possible outcomes in order of how they affect the value of the league, you get something like this:

1. 30 team NBA with Seattle

2-3. NBA with 31 teams and expansion in either Seattle or Sacramento

3. 30 team NBA with Sacramento.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Dale Kasler @dakasler
Mayor on offer to Maloofs: "They know the number." No breakdown in communication; says he doesn't know why they issued ultimatum
3:16 AM - 11 Apr 13

I guess this was said by KJ during halftime of the Kings game tonight.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Note that KJ can take a solid minute to imply that they're matching but can't say it unequivocally. There's a reason for that.

They aren't matching and it's unlikely that they commit to do so. It's not easy to make money off of an NBA team in a middling market whose residents have little spending power with zero chance of the big bucks from an RSN. Putting down a $525m valuation ain't worth it, it'd be a charity move. Take into consideration that if they entered into a binding agreement with the Maloofs to match the offer if the Seattle bid is denied, they'd be doing so without a binding arena deal. They'd then own a grossly overpriced NBA team relative to its market and that city council would have a ton of leverage to work out a deal (keep in mind that they really haven't worked one out, just a list of ideas) in their favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.