So, Who Slides? Who Is The Consensus 'Reach'?

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Who will be *that guy* in the green room that falls unexpectedly into the late 1st or even 2nd round this year?

Who will be *that guy* taken in the first round that has the average fan saying "Who?" - and who will be the team making that selection?

RISER - RB Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State. Underwhelming year for top-flight RB's might see Bell go earlier than expected. The team - Cincinnati at #21.

FALLER - QB Matt Barkley, USC. I wouldn't be surprised to see him tumble through to the bottom half of the second.

sutz

Reaction score
Wow, it would drive the PTB nuckin' futz if we drafted Matt Barkley.

:laugh:

Heck, it'd be worth it. :D

cover-2

Reaction score
Faller - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M: I'm not going to front like I scouted all the top o-lineman this year becuase I didn't. Saying that, from the little of what I have seen from either Bowl games/East West Shrine game / Senior Bowl games I would rate Joeckel as the 3rd best OT in the draft. He may have the highest floor, but IMO he has the lowest ceiling of the top rated OT in the draft. I like Eric Fisher as the top rated OT and then Lane Johnson rated as the 2nd best OT. Then the 2nd tier OT of the draft may not be as polished right now as Joeckel, but prospects like Kyle Long, Menelik Watson, Terron Armstead, Dallas Thomas, and DJ Fluker are all OT's that could develop into better players in a year or two than Joeckel. So if I were a GM that needs a LT and my first two guys are off the board maybe I would wait until the 2nd round to get my OT, while using my 1st rd pick on one of the top rated CB/DE/DT. A question I have is how much did Joeckel benefit from have a running like QB Johnny Manzeil. Some QB's actually make their o-lineman look better (not giving up sacks) than what they actually are. I could easily see him falling out of the top-10 picks.

Riser - LB Sio Moore, UConn: Moore is my choice for a 1st round surprise. What Khaseem Greene is for English is what Moore is for me as a LB prospect. A team that needs a well rounded play making LB late in the 1st round I think Moore can be that player. A few fits could be the Falcons at #30 or the Giants or Bears in the 1st round.

kearly

Reaction score
Joekel's floor is the 7th pick, IMO. There will be 3 tackles taken in the top 7, the only question is the order.

Riser: Tavon Austin. He's been steadily rising for a while now, from the 2nd round all the way to the mid 1st. I'd expect him to be the 1st WR drafted. I think the Rams at #16 might be his floor.

Faller: Matt Barkley. He doesn't deserve it, but it's looking like he's going to be a late 1st or early 2nd right now. Jacksonville's pick will be very telling, because if they pass on a QB I'd say that only Buffalo seems likely to go QB in the top 10. And after that, you don't have a ton of teams that need QB as a 1st round priority.

Consensus reach: Whoever Seattle picks.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
FALLER: Barkevious Mingo, I don't know if I see him falling completely out of the 1st but he is porjected top 15 in almost ever mock I've seen, and top 10 in some. I could see him being available in the mid to late 20's but not getting past a team like Baltimore to actually make the 2nd.

RISER: Tank Carradine, his talent is top 10 but the injury concern weighs down his stock. I could see a team making a jump at any time if they fall in love with him. I could see Miami or Carolina making a surprise like this.

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":2evbfxb9 said:
Joekel's floor is the 7th pick, IMO. There will be 3 tackles taken in the top 7, the only question is the order.

Riser: Tavon Austin. He's been steadily rising for a while now, from the 2nd round all the way to the mid 1st. I'd expect him to be the 1st WR drafted. I think the Rams at #16 might be his floor.

Faller: Matt Barkley. He doesn't deserve it, but it's looking like he's going to be a late 1st or early 2nd right now. Jacksonville's pick will be very telling, because if they pass on a QB I'd say that only Buffalo seems likely to go QB in the top 10. And after that, you don't have a ton of teams that need QB as a 1st round priority.

Those are some pretty weak predictions...Austin has been talked about as a mid-1st round prospect for the last few weeks on the NFL Network. Barkley is another prospect that is talked about as more of a 2nd round talent.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
cover-2":3irde8zn said:
kearly":3irde8zn said:

Those are some pretty weak predictions...Austin has been talked about as a mid-1st round prospect for the last few weeks on the NFL Network. Barkley is another prospect that is talked about as more of a 2nd round talent.

Patterson has been the unanimous #1 receiver throughout the entire offseason. For Austin to be the first wr off the board, considering where he was months ago, would be a monumental rise. Seems like a good pick with merit to me.

godawg

Reaction score
From what I'm reading, Kawaan Short is falling based on his lackluster pro day and his questionable motor. Kip, if he is available at 56, would you take him?

cover-2

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1gdhi34t said:
cover-2":1gdhi34t said:
kearly":1gdhi34t said:

Patterson has been the unanimous #1 receiver throughout the entire offseason. For Austin to be the first wr off the board, considering where he was months ago, would be a monumental rise. Seems like a good pick with merit to me.

I was under the assumption that with what we know of these prospects when this topic was started (a few days ago) who would be a surprise 1st round pick that nobody was talking about right now and ditto for the prospect that slides....I'm not sure how far back of the knowledge of these prospects is was meant to go, but go back to the beginning of he college football season then yeah I would have totally different players in mind...BYU DE Ezekiel Ansah for the surprise 1st rounder (he was maybe a priority rookie free agent at the beginning of the season). Michigan St DE William Gholston would be the surprise faller, he was considered one of the top prospects at the beginning of the year & now he may not get drafted until the 3rd or 4th round.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm going to go with:

Faller: Alec Ogletree. This has been a guy that has been a presumed first round guy for months. I can see him falling out of round one entirely.

Reach: Sharrif Floyd. I look at Sharrif, and I am torn. I mean I see/hear all the chatter about him being an elite DT prospect. But halfway through the 2012 season, this guy barely registered in draftnik consciousness at all. Even after the season was over, this was a guy with a 25th to 50th range overall. He just seemed to keep gaining enormous momentum after the bowl season and it seemed to reach a fever pitch between the exhibitions and the combine.

I looked at him pretty closely in early december and I wasn't really that impressed. I loved his lateral pursuit, and he showed good burst once he secured a position of advantage. But I found him to play very erect with just a few exceptions and generally unimpressive in his ability to pressure the OL facing him. I didn't feel his ability to collapse the pocket was even on par with John Jenkins. Both I felt had choppy steps with very poor leg drive to stress blockers with power. Statistically, Floyd was pretty mediocre.

I even re-examined the Fletcher Cox tape from last year. He was similarly a late first round guy that kept gaining momentum leading to the draft -- ultimately 'falling' to 12th overall. I though Cox's tape was far more impressive. Especially given the dearth of talent surrounding him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I still believe Barkley goes Round 1. QB's aren't the major risk they used to be .. a team like Buffalo, Jacksonville, etc can jump back into the 1st at a pretty low cost and swipe him.

Riser: Ezekiel Ansah, DE -- I think we knew his stock was on the rise since February, but I think he's a Top 10 lock now.. maybe even Top 5.

Faller: Manti Te'o, LB -- I can see him falling to Round 2. Major fall considering pre National Championship he was talked up as a possible Top 10 pick and Top 15 at worst.

Reach: It's going to be a QB IMO. I think Tyler Wilson will be the "reach" this year and I see 4 QB's total coming out in Round 1 (Smith, Barkley, Nassib, Wilson)

penihawk

Reaction score
Riser: Lane Johnson OT Was always a 1st rd pick but is gonna end up top 5 or 6

Faller: Damontre Moore DE Went from the top of the 1st to who knows now