EPL 2012-2013

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I will offer a third alternative Gate.... west brom has a talented football team and plays Arsenal tough, winning on class. It does happen, Southampton, swansea, and even west brom have shown they can beat any team at home.

Spur... bummer about Bale. He's been immense and a joy to watch. Hope its not serious

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Big big wins for Arsenal and Aston Villa today. Arsenal racing out to a 2-0 lead then scrapping out the 3 points after falling a man down when Mertesacker was sent off. Villa got their win thanks to arguably a favorite for goal of the year from Matthew Lowton.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Loic Remy and Andros Townsend are brilliant players on a bad team. QPR almost found a way to win today even though they were a man down but their propensity to commit stupid fouls gave Wigan a late free kick that they buried for the tie just before the final whistle.

Storts

Reaction score
Today was a really tough game to talk about. I mean we desperately needed to win this match, three points was essential at the start of the day after the Fulham result. That game has seriously affected this run in. I think it was down as one our banker three points and losing them has made it an uphill battle to recover. Following today we now have to beat Man City, which is going to be very tricky, especially with the 5-1 from last season hanging over the players. Thankfully the Chelsea game was postponed so hopefully we won't have to play another league game without our wingers and they'll be back for City.

Last week I was extremely confident of beating Everton, I really didn't see anything other than a Spurs win. Then Bale and Lennon get injured in the same game and it went from very confident to extremely pessimistic. Nobody really knew how we would adapt without any pace down the flanks and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised today. Obviously the draw is very disappointing, although the manner of it was good, but I think we played some nice football and if either team had deserved the win it would have been us.

We conceded two very sloppy goals once again. The first from a looping corner with no one on the back post once again. I personally think it was a foul as Jagielka was climbing all over Vertonghen but I haven't seen it again yet. Either way that referee today was absolutely diabolical, one of the poorest performances I have seen in ages. The second goal was another defensive mix up to let Mirallas get the ball although from then on it was superb by him, great finish. I do question Caulker a bit however as, not for the first time, he just backs off and backs off and gets turned very easily inside the box. He's got a lot of potential and will go on to be an excellent centre back, but he's young and he still has a lot to learn. Not even Ledley was perfect at that age.

Everton are a very strange side in my opinion. It's difficult to assess them and I really don't want to be too critical and sound bitter, but they are not ideal to watch, especially away from home. I thought it was very negative as usual, hit it up to Anichebe early and let him hold the ball up and allow for support. On that subject I do have to say he was probably the best player on the pitch, absolutely bullied Dawson and Caulker all game and was a fantastic outlet for them. Never seen him have such a good game and the improvement this season has been encouraging from an Everton point of view. I did think he went down very easily on occasion and I wasn't in the first half when he was down injured, got back up when Everton won the ball back and then went back down when they lost it. Their centre backs also had fine games, dealing with everything in the air and making a lot of last ditch interceptions to stop us getting through on goal. They are a very well organised unit and every player puts a proper shift in for the team which means it is hard to be critical. Maybe it's testament to them that I really don't like playing Everton.

As for our side, the stand-out performer was Adebayor. I've tried to stay positive and back him when a lot of our fans have been slagging him off and today was back to the Adebayor we need. He really took some of the responsibility for the team with Bale/Lennon out, worked very hard, got a goal, linked up the play superbly and made some dangerous runs. What I think was interesting is that he made this performance when we were playing such a different formation. Instead of our usual quick incisive direct passing out to the wings we had to be more intricate and narrow. We had Holtby, Dempsey and Gylfi all very close to Adebayor and this meant he was able to get his link up play going with one and two touch passes. It's his biggest strength and this change of shape was definitely a factor in his improvement.

On the front three once again Gylfi was the standout and justifying his selection of the other two in recent games. He is slowly becoming the player we need him to be. He is making things happen, getting on the ball, taking players on and playing passes/crosses in and around the box. He's also been popping up with goals when we needed them which has always been his biggest strength.

Holtby after his positive start to his Spurs career has been very hit and miss. He was by no means the worst player on our team today but he didn't assert too much influence and I don't think the AM role is his best one. Would much prefer to have him playing deeper and getting on the ball more.

Dempsey is absolutely useless unfortunately. He was never the right signing to make and it was a panic buy. He has a terrible first touch, no vision or creativity and his shooting is abysmal. He doesn't seem to be able to get any power on his shots, not that it matters as they never hit the target. I've tried really hard to like him, he's popped up with some important goals, but in the long run he really isn't good enough and I would like to see him moved on in the summer if at all possible whilst his stock is still high enough to command a decent fee.

Parker was once again a disappointment. There's only so many times he can slow down our attacks or lose the ball before we have to say enough is enough. I mean he still doesn't a good job in the tackle and winning the ball back, but he ruins a lot of our attacking impetus by running down blind alleyways and passing straight to the opposition/out of touch time and time again. Sandro has been such a miss in the second half of the season and Parker is another player I wouldn't mind showing the door in the summer.

Hugo showed his importance at the end with the save from Anichebe and Dembele was bright and positive as usual. I still do not rate him as highly as a lot of our fans due to his reluctance to play the early passes but hopefully he will learn. He is amazing with the ball at his feet taking people on, but just needs to learn when to release the ball as Adebayor was making some great runs for him today.

I am disappointed not to win the game, and the season does seem to be slipping away but who knows with Tottenham, the beauty of this club is that anything can happen, nobody really knows what to expect so we just have to take each game as it comes. Basel on thursday will be interesting. I assume it will be a similar team as we literally have nobody else in the squad that we can play but I would love to go through. Other than that we regroup for the City game, hope our wingers are fit and that Arsenal/Chelsea drop some points in the mean time. COYS

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Bale injury will be tough to overcome Storts. And its too bad, such a massive player and important for the league.

I watched the game and agree with alot of your assessment. I struggle to grab a hold of what everton is a a whole. But i think yesterday they just took advantage of a Spurs team trying to find a pattern without their key player. Walker looks lost both defensively and in the attack. Seems a bit naive, but thats his youth as well. I think Holtby will come good, eventually.

Dempsey and Sigurrdson were both targets for Liverpool. I was devastated when we missed on Dempsey. But he has struggled this season, and I think much of it is learning to play on a team with higher expectations and in a system that doesnt go through him. What youre describing about him is not necessarily indicative of who he is as a player. Hes got an excellent first touch, is a deadly accurate shooter and scores very meaningful goals.... with Fulham and the US. Not sure why he has struggled for Spurs, but he's probably a bit lost with the likes of Bale, lennon, Defoe and Adebayor running around. Remember, hes never played with that kind of talent.

Tying Everton at home isnt a bad result. that was a massive goal in the end for 4 teams (Everton, Spurs, Pool and Arsenal). But Spurs have the toughest run in on paper. Getting 4th, or even maintaining 5th, may be difficult if Bale doesnt see the field by season's end

Storts

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2a33au3w said:
The Bale injury will be tough to overcome Storts. And its too bad, such a massive player and important for the league.

I watched the game and agree with alot of your assessment. I struggle to grab a hold of what everton is a a whole. But i think yesterday they just took advantage of a Spurs team trying to find a pattern without their key player. Walker looks lost both defensively and in the attack. Seems a bit naive, but thats his youth as well. I think Holtby will come good, eventually.

Dempsey and Sigurrdson were both targets for Liverpool. I was devastated when we missed on Dempsey. But he has struggled this season, and I think much of it is learning to play on a team with higher expectations and in a system that doesnt go through him. What youre describing about him is not necessarily indicative of who he is as a player. Hes got an excellent first touch, is a deadly accurate shooter and scores very meaningful goals.... with Fulham and the US. Not sure why he has struggled for Spurs, but he's probably a bit lost with the likes of Bale, lennon, Defoe and Adebayor running around. Remember, hes never played with that kind of talent.

Tying Everton at home isnt a bad result. that was a massive goal in the end for 4 teams (Everton, Spurs, Pool and Arsenal). But Spurs have the toughest run in on paper. Getting 4th, or even maintaining 5th, may be difficult if Bale doesnt see the field by season's end

Definitely, we were always going to struggle without him, which was why it was nice to see us at least looking like a half decent team without him but obviously we need him back badly for the run in.

Agreed, it was a typical Everton performance, they latched onto our weaknesses on the day and made it count when they had the chances. Walker has been poor this season, he doesn't naturally take people on offensively and defensively he's very poor positionally. Then again, your boy Johnson was like that when he was younger but has improved immensely with experience so hopefully Walker will go the same way.

Yeah you're probably right on Dempsey, I was maybe a bit harsh on him, but it seems he stands out more as a big fish in a small pond and struggles when he's just another player. To be fair to him, he's scored some important goals this season and he has proven he can nick a scrappy goal when we need it, but he definitely needs to have a break out game where he performs exceptionally.

You're right, we couldn't afford to lose that game, the equaliser was vital, but we need Bale and Lennon back asap. I personally think Chelsea are the team we are fighting it out with as they have a tricky run in too. Arsenal will be 3rd imo

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
That Bale out for 2 weeks is smoke and mirrors. Even if he's really only out for 2 weeks, he's certainly not gonna start the Man City match.

What's gonna make it even tougher for Spurs and Chelsea(moreso for Spurs) is knowing the fact that between now and their next EPL game, Arsenal will have played 3 times so by the 21st, Spurs could find themselves 7 points behind the Gunners and 3 points behind Chelsea.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Storts":13moph3i said:
Uncle Si":13moph3i said:

Definitely, we were always going to struggle without him, which was why it was nice to see us at least looking like a half decent team without him but obviously we need him back badly for the run in.

Agreed, it was a typical Everton performance, they latched onto our weaknesses on the day and made it count when they had the chances. Walker has been poor this season, he doesn't naturally take people on offensively and defensively he's very poor positionally. Then again, your boy Johnson was like that when he was younger but has improved immensely with experience so hopefully Walker will go the same way.

Yeah you're probably right on Dempsey, I was maybe a bit harsh on him, but it seems he stands out more as a big fish in a small pond and struggles when he's just another player. To be fair to him, he's scored some important goals this season and he has proven he can nick a scrappy goal when we need it, but he definitely needs to have a break out game where he performs exceptionally.

You're right, we couldn't afford to lose that game, the equaliser was vital, but we need Bale and Lennon back asap. I personally think Chelsea are the team we are fighting it out with as they have a tricky run in too. Arsenal will be 3rd imo

No, i think you nailed it on Dempsey. Hes definately "big fish"...Dempsey has failed to return the form of his Fulham campaign last season (18 goals). He's got the skill, but again, and like you mentioned, im not sure hes quite sure how to handle his place on a squad with that much talent.

Its good to see the gloating Gatehawk return to the board. how lovely

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2p9zn3c8 said:
Uncle Si":2p9zn3c8 said:
Its good to see the gloating Gatehawk return to the board. how lovely

Wasn't gloating, just pointing out the obvious.

as always.

I dont see Arsenal taking 9 from 9. Norwich, Everton at home, Fulham away. 7 would be great business for them. could easily be 4

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Okay, which game are you saying Arsenal will lose, and which one are they drawing. Cause the way they've been playing lately, not winning all three is a disappointment.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":ciqy4mfv said:
Okay, which game are you saying Arsenal will lose, and which one are they drawing. Cause the way they've been playing lately, not winning all three is a disappointment.

not winning any game is disappointing Gate, for any team. you seem to keep thinking that predicting games in the PL is somehow easy, or that (this year especially) any one team in the top 10 is somehow magically better than another. the league is drastically mediocre from years past. Just the way it is.

I can see them getting 7 of 9, as I said, or even taking 4 of 9. Nothing is a certainty. I will grant them Reading at home is near it. Everton is an impossible team to predict, and Fulham has been in good form.

So its not hard to see very realistic scenarios in which Arsenal come through with poor results. As with any of the 4 teams battling for 3rd through 6th.

i will say they seem the most likely of Everton/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea/Spurs to take a CL spot, with Chelsea next.

Still Everton is just... well, Everton

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I said it will be disappointing because of the run that Arsenal have been on, everything appears to be clicking finally from front to back(the Reading goal and Mertesacker's red card are the only defensive hiccups I can really remember since the NLD).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I just turned off the Liverpool game in the 73rd... can watch it anymore. Just frustrating as all hell

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":724fyasa said:
I just turned off the Liverpool game in the 73rd... can watch it anymore. Just frustrating as all hell

Seems like they forgot how to score goals today.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":qsg9smzd said:
Uncle Si":qsg9smzd said:

p--- off

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Frustrating day all around for Arsenal until the 84th minute, then the floodgates swung open. Whether that penalty given to Kamara was one or not, you have to give it to Arsenal after the ref missed a pretty obvious one in the 66th minute. I was worried that we were gonna muck up this game in which Arsenal looked to be the likely one to win(even with the poor finishing and final passes). But you gotta be impressed with how Arsenal turned shit to gold in the blink of an eye and the only catalyst it took was an assistant ref making a couple calls in Arsenal's favor.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":380tki3d said:
Gatehawk":380tki3d said:
Uncle Si":380tki3d said:

p--- off

What? I'm agreeing with you. Can't fault Reading though, they played good.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2ml5m30z said:
What? I'm agreeing with you. Can't fault Reading though, they played good.

im just frustrated. 26 shots, two goals disallowed, one off the post. back to back draws against 0-0 teams.

Liverpool fans will be drawing the noose for BR but neither of these results are on him. Team has to put more focus into their finishing.

Nice fightback for arsenal

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Arsenal getting a really tough win today, and even though they were really bad today(especially with the man advantage they had for 87 minutes) it's fine by me cause all that matters now is that they get 3 points in every game remaining.

Latest posts