Update: After working out 4, Seahawks to sign Brady Quinn

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hey...with a name like Brady...he jus gots to be good!

Wouldn't have been my first pick, but as others have mentioned, the FO probably has a better feel for these things than any of us.

With the exception of being asked to convert 3rd and longs, in 4th qtr play, he will basically just be handing the ball to Turbin and you have to think this is as good as it will ever get for the once promising Golden domer.

I should have it so good. ;)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkFan72":jgr7ljc5 said:

Most interesting thing I learned here is that Chase Daniel (Drew Brees's old back up) signed with KC. That led me to look up what New Orleans was doing for back up. They signed the world renowned Luke McCown away from the Falcons. Now Atlanta currently has a 2012 undrafted FA as its only back up to Matt Ryan.

We seriously have to have the only fan base in the country that puts this much emphasis on the back up QB situation.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
Brady Quinn played for QB coach Carl Smith in Cleveland so it makes some sense we'd bring him in for a visit.

If the coaches liked what they saw to sign him over the others, good enough for me.
He was awesome in college and what many considered a steal in the 1st round at pick 22.

Now granted he hasnt enjoyed success in the NFL but i was never too keen on Thigpen and hes gotta be better than matt Leinart who has zero escapability skills and a weak arm. At least Quinn is mibile wih a strong arm.

We will probably still draft a mid round QB anyways and let him compete against Quinn and Portis for the backup job.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3icdu0ay said:
So who of the 4 named back ups mentioned would you take over Jackson?
Not that it matters anymore, but I would have taken Wallace over Jackson ANY day.
He wasn't anywhere near as inconsistent, as Jackson.
He made WAY quicker decisions, WAY more accurate, and played for a head Coach that wanted his QB's to operate the WCO, but still kept him as a back up because he felt that Seneca would keep the games close enough to win.
Go watch Seneca Wallace on U-Tube, then tell me he isn't way closer to playing in the Russell Wilson style, than Jackson, Lienart, or Thigpen.
Although I had Wallace as my 1st preference, Quinn must have impressed the Coaching staff a little more in the try-outs so I'm okay with their expertise in the matter.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Brock Huard mentioned either today or yesterday that he heard rumors that Seneca Wallace has lost arm strength. Wallace was originally my preference, too, but if those rumors are true, then Quinn is probably the right choice of the four. That would also help explain why no team took a shot on Seneca last year. He would have been a no-brainer if he had the same tools he had in 2009.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
BBBAAHHHHH!! We should have traded a 5th round pick for Peyton Manning!!!

Oh, you say that the pickins are slim, we needed to fill the roster spot, and it's not a perfect world? Ok, I suppose Brady will do for Backup QB

Bakergirl

Reaction score
If they brought in all four and Quinn is the one who got the contract good for him. I'm sure the team knows what they are doing and what they were looking for. If Brady Quinn has the tangibles they wanted in their backup QB more power to him. I hope he never has to see the field, but should he see the field I hope he has what it takes to be prepared, and that he learns from Wilson's example when it comes to that preparation.

hai

Reaction score
From a Browns fan, people said Brady Quinn had pretty good games, but he has his bad games ala example the Seahawks game that ended 6-3 with Browns barely winning. If Quinn can replicate his good performances because he certainly has decent tangibles, just need to be more consistent. A lot of people say that coaching can help rookies develop, just think Quinn is a more experience QB just need a little coaching and watching Wilson do his thing, Quinn can turn out decent in late games and might net us a draft pick later on. That is only if he makes it through the camp...haha
Guess the only reason we chose Quinn cause of age, tangibles, and the potential to play a good game with a good squad in the Seahawks.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Well Quinn is probably a backup for life. Unless something good happens. But also he would be a great fit for the Seahawks and to mentor young Wilson!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hai":9786wudr said:
From a Browns fan, people said Brady Quinn had pretty good games, but he has his bad games ala example the Seahawks game that ended 6-3 with Browns barely winning.

That was actually Colt McCoy on the other side of that train wreck of a game.

mikeak

Reaction score
This should also end the discussions if the read-option will be a part of the play book going forward....

JSeahawks

Reaction score
mikeak":2hnjc5mt said:
This should also end the discussions if the read-option will be a part of the play book going forward....

I'm sure as long as Russell Wilson is our starter that the read option will always be something that we can pull out for special occasions. I don't think it will ever be something that we see 10 x's a game.

kearly

Reaction score
This is a bad move, but it's extremely unlikely to hurt the team. I don't think Brady Quinn even makes the roster. He'll cost the team some preseason reps we could have given someone else and even if he ends up our backup, I trust Wilson to stay healthy. We are picking in the top 20 next year if Quinn sees more than a few games though.

Atradees

Reaction score
Its a strange choice. We are good at drafting talent and Quinn is failed vet with a vets salary. who would have geussed that we trade Matt Flynn for pocket lint and a rolled cigarette then sign Quinn for two years. Hope the preseason is worth watching.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Don't give a damn. If Russell goes down, Marshawn gets the ball. As long as he can hand it off (Brady has experience doing this with Charles), I don't give a shit. Without Russ, we have little chance of winning. I'd like to get into good draft pick territory if Russ goes down, and Quinn gets us to that point.