49ers OC claims he didn't use real offense during 42-13 loss

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Giedi wrote:
    Teqneek wrote:The statement doesnt even make sense... They were still in a fight for the division.. and the season only had 3 games left. What were teams going to pick up against the Seahawks they hadnt the other 13 games? Besides like someone else said. What does our offense scoring 42 points have to do with their inept attempt?

    Their real offense with Alex Smith scores 13 at home.. their non real offense with Kaep can barely get a TD against our backups? Doesnt sound to promising for his game plan lol


    Wasn't at least 7 of those 42 scored by the special teams?


    No but, what's that got to do with the price of tea in England anyway?


    Well, the statement said their *offense scored 42,* that's not a correct statement if the special teams scored 7 of the 42. That means something like 35 was really scored by the offense with 7 being scored by the special teams.

    As for England, I didn't know Robert England drank tea. ;)
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 349
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:You haven't proven that it is true. If you are correct that Roman came up with some new tricks for the Packers game, good for him. But the Yahoo article that launched this thread wasn't talking about Roman's game plan for the Packers game, it was making the claim A) that he dialed back the playbook in the last two games of the season and B) did it to keep from showing his hand to potential playoff teams. Not the same thing; for all we know, Roman sat down after the regular season and said, "the usual stuff isn't working. I need to try something new." All you have proved is that he tried some new things in the playoffs. You haven't proven that he ran a "vanilla O" to end the regular season. And the reason why I am skeptical that he did is because that would be a very foolish thing to do with a division title and a first-round bye up for grabs.

    You're right that I don't pay as much attention to the 49ers as you do, but I have been a Seahawks season ticket holder for 14 years, and I can honestly say I have never seen a quarterback look so rattled and shaken as Kaepernick looked last December. I don't say it to slam him--I expect he will put together a much better game in Seattle this season--but he looked completely lost out there. What you call a vanilla gameplan, I call the result of a quarterback who, for that game at least, was completely overmatched.

    ...

    I was there. I saw the deer in headlights, hoofs over ears look.


    Well OK, I'll belive that you were there, and nobody can deny it was a shellacking.

    I certainly don't deny it. What I will say is it's one of the few times that I've seen that coaching staff panic. I didn't see the QB panic. I think the OC and the HC started panicking after that special teams fiasco and being down 21 points, and the game started getting away from them. They left behind what got them scores before against the "Hawks and started pressing the long pass to get back into the game and the 'Hawks just laid it into them with the pressures.
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 349
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • I chuckle at some Seahawk fans who keep bringing this game up. It was Kaep's 6th start in a loud Seahawks stadium. His 6th start. He went on to crush and set records against Green Bay, came back to beat Atlanta (who just beat the Seahawks) in Atlanta and almost came back against the Raven's in the Super Bowl. Get over that game. 1/4 wins in two season against the 9ers big deal. Now we'll have an offseason taylored to Kaepernick. Can't wait.
    Last edited by TheGOAT#80 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    TheGOAT#80
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 29
    Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:22 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:Here's a better question tho...are you suggesting that Wilson CAN be shaken?


    Unless Russell Wilson proves to be a terminator, an angelic being, or a former resident of the planet Krypton, then of course he can be shaken. I think he has shown remarkable resiliency so far in his career and has shown that he can bounce back from bad plays and bad games better than a lot of players I have ever seen, but he is human and as such he can be shaken. So can Kaepernick. And when you think about it, for Kaepernick to go into one of the toughest places in the league to play with a division title and playoff bye on the line, it's only natural that he WOULD be shaken given what happened in that game. Like I said before, if he is the caliber of quarterback you think he is, he will take that experience, learn from it, and become a better quarterback in the long run because of it. It's the same thing with Wilson.

    Jim Mora was Seattle's head coach for one lamentable season and I knew it was going to be a disaster when he said that he had "never failed in anything." A man who can say that is either lying through his teeth or has never attempted anything worthwhile. Wilson and Kaepernick have both failed at times. They have both been shaken and rattled at times. What is going to define their careers is how they respond. Kaepernick will probably be better prepared for his next game at CenturyLink and do a better job in that game because the first one shook him so badly. The Seahawks will still win, though. ;)
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1309
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    Giedi wrote:I think the shellshock was more the defense being run over by Seattle and the Seattle special teams creaming the 49ers, than the QB getting shell shocked. They are a power run team, and if you get a lead on them, they start to panic and cant to their regular routine of winning the game in the 2nd half with the power run game. Seattle did a great job of getting the jump on them early and they started to break down and panic and get away from their game plan. It happens. Anytime the score margin is in the plus 14 differential, *something* has happned that the losing team didn't expect. Most NFL teams are within a 14 point differential of each other, I think the parity in the NFL is that close.


    Personally, from my POV in the stands and re-watching the game on TV later, my opinion is that Kaepernick was shell shocked, too. Not just because of the delay of game penalties that Marvin mentioned, though I believe that's part of it. To give just one example, early in the second quarter (right before the blocked field goal) Kaepernick threw a dangerous pass into the back of the end zone that probably should have been intercepted. No big deal; rookie mistake. But in the fourth quarter, he throws the EXACT SAME PASS and gets picked off by Richard Sherman. That's more than a rookie mistake: that's a quarterback who has been completely thrown for a loop.

    Now, as I said before I expect that Kaepernick will turn in a better performance in his next trip to CenturyLink Field. But the young QB I saw that night was shaken to the bone. There's no shame in that: if he's the kind of quarterback 49er fans think he is, a night like that will make him better in the long run. But I still stand by my opinion that San Francisco's woeful offensive performance that night was the result of a quarterback who was rattled by a tough defense and a deafening crowd, and not the result of an attempt to scale down the playbook. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.


    Well Ok, we can agree to disagree on that topic - that Kaepernick was shell shocked.

    I also think that the article isn't that far off base. I dont think it's any more complicated than calling a sweep from an I formation vs a pistol formation. You don't have to be in the pistol formation to throw a deep out or a drag route. You can call that from a shotgun or a two back formation. Same play, just from a different formations. Nothing more and nothing less. The full panoply of assorted runs, passes and trick plays will still be there just run from anything *other* than the pistol formation. That also doesn't mean that the 49ers laid down like dogs, no, I think they brought their A game and got toasted by the better team that day, simple as that.
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 349
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • LOL...why is this being talked about so much?

    This is obviously one of those topics that neither side will cave on, even though it is common knowledge that a lot of coaches do what ours did so late in the season when facing a team that they are likely to face in the post season. I think what happened was that our coaching staff got caught off guard and surprised that you guys were able to play as well as you did despite them admittedly not completely opening the play book that night or whatever their plan (or lack there of) was.

    But at this point who cares? If the situation was reversed I am sure that us Niner fans would reply this way to Seahawk fans attempting to down play one of the biggest victories of the season.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • NinerLifer wrote:LOL...why is this being talked about so much?

    This is obviously one of those topics that neither side will cave on, even though it is common knowledge that a lot of coaches do what ours did so late in the season when facing a team that they are likely to face in the post season. I think what happened was that our coaching staff got caught off guard and surprised that you guys were able to play as well as you did despite them admittedly not completely opening the play book that night or whatever their plan (or lack there of) was.

    But at this point who cares? If the situation was reversed I am sure that us Niner fans would reply this way to Seahawk fans attempting to down play one of the biggest victories of the season.


    Ah, cause its the off season and we are bored (Hawks and 9ers alike). And funny you ask, aren't you the one that started the "where did your 49er hatred come from" thread?
    Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono
    User avatar
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1007
    Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am


  • Semantics to save face. End of the day, their game plan was still to win. They were completely embarrassed, no one wants to lose like that. 9ers were handled badly in all phases that game.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • lvnginhwktwn wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:LOL...why is this being talked about so much?

    This is obviously one of those topics that neither side will cave on, even though it is common knowledge that a lot of coaches do what ours did so late in the season when facing a team that they are likely to face in the post season. I think what happened was that our coaching staff got caught off guard and surprised that you guys were able to play as well as you did despite them admittedly not completely opening the play book that night or whatever their plan (or lack there of) was.

    But at this point who cares? If the situation was reversed I am sure that us Niner fans would reply this way to Seahawk fans attempting to down play one of the biggest victories of the season.


    Ah, cause its the off season and we are bored (Hawks and 9ers alike). And funny you ask, aren't you the one that started the "where did your 49er hatred come from" thread?


    Ya it was, so what? I seriously was curious where or why they disliked the Niners so much or if it was merely because we are division rivals, as some seemed to have a deep hatred to them which seemed to be more than just division rivalry type of stuff. It had nothing to do with trying to convince them otherwise or anything, I was just curious where it came from. That thread ended up turning into something that it wasnt intended to do.

    What's your point? I wasn't trying to convince them to suddenly stop hating on Niner fans. However it seems that some on here think they can change their opinions about one of the biggest victories they had on their schedule last year.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Easy tiger, not sure if I like the tone of your voice young man.
    Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono
    User avatar
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1007
    Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Seahawk fans come to Niner boards as well and I debate them just as I do here.

    Now please get off the high horse.


    This might be true if your lame ass boards would allow debates, but from what I've seen and heard they ban anyone who even peeps a word about any team other than the 49ers leaving no time for debating anything at all.
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Bakergirl wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Seahawk fans come to Niner boards as well and I debate them just as I do here.

    Now please get off the high horse.


    This might be true if your lame ass boards would allow debates, but from what I've seen and heard they ban anyone who even peeps a word about any team other than the 49ers leaving no time for debating anything at all.


    This is extremely ironic coming from someone on seahawks.net...
    User avatar
    seahawksflow
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 178
    Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 pm


  • seahawksflow wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Seahawk fans come to Niner boards as well and I debate them just as I do here.

    Now please get off the high horse.


    This might be true if your lame ass boards would allow debates, but from what I've seen and heard they ban anyone who even peeps a word about any team other than the 49ers leaving no time for debating anything at all.


    This is extremely ironic coming from someone on seahawks.net...


    LOL. Exactly how many 49er fans have we banned lately?
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Bakergirl wrote:
    LOL. Exactly how many 49er fans have we banned lately?


    Not enough.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18701
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • 9 pages of SF trash. The comment was obviously the dumbest thing he could have said, if any 'hawks are listening to this jibberish...they're about to bring some real pain to SF.


    Has this been linked to the "Why should we dislike the 49ers" thread?


    This thread is the embodiment of why SF fans suck. Spitting out redundant mouth garbage, over....and over....and over...trying to pass it off as football knowledge. The few fine 49er gents that frequent this board get a pass (they know who they are), the rest of you are just terrible...terrible people. You should all be ashamed of your existence.


    :pukeface:
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2235
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


  • Oh yeah, I remember this game...

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    "I want to go home"

    Image
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8163
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • I'm not going to read all 9 pages of whiner bs. But the fact is we held sf to 13 twice this year, but hey maybe they held back both times. :twisted:
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2261
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.


    You know, looking at the picture, there are an awful lot of linemen who never moved:
    Image
    FIRE CABLE! 6 Home Games 9 False Starts By Linemen Lack Of Discipline
    Image
    User avatar
    BASF
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1566
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm


  • BASF wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.


    You know, looking at the picture, there are an awful lot of linemen who never moved:
    Image


    Hah. That is an awesome picture.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    User avatar
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *
     
    Posts: 7192
    Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    CamanoIslandJQ wrote:RW had the playbook significantly limited until the second half of the season. From that point on it became evident that the Seahawks had found their FIRST ever franchise QB (the 49-er's have had several back in the day). That is what makes this fan very jacked up for the coming seasons. Look at RW's stats from the first half vs the second half to see why. I liked Kaepernick when he was available in the draft, but our guys thankfully went in a different direction. I will say that Kaepernick has a pretty good chance to be a *very good* QB, but the Seahawks have a QB that has a chance to be a *great* QB as he continues to improve and excell at the position. That's what has all of us Seahawks fans really, really excited.


    See this stuff just amazes me.

    Wilson can be great but Kaep only "very good"? Based on what? Kaep took his team to the Super Bowl in his 10th freakin start. Is Wilson the only one who can improve. It seems like this conversation is always that somehow Wilson will continue to improve till he is the second coming of Jesus Christ (unless he is already that) and that Kaep is a pretender who will obviously decline (jeez, who doesn't know that?).

    I think both guys have the potential to be the among the best in the NFL. I understand liking the QB who's on your team, but dude....Kaep has a chance to be INCREDIBLE.



    Because Wilson was a Rookie? Didnt have a year and almost a half to learn his teams playbook, players and work with them before hand consistently in camp and practice.

    THIS is what amazes me.. people act as if a QB gains nothing from being on the team already for a year and a half. Im not sure how Kaepernick took SF to the superbowl... Did you miss Alex Smiths numbers before he got knocked out? Its a system, the system prevailed, doesnt mean Kaepernick with a headstart on Wilson is a world beater.

    Kaepernick will be incredible when he stops running straight line or always bootlegging left to take off... and stops staring down his receivers.
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 280
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm


  • BASF wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.


    You know, looking at the picture, there are an awful lot of linemen who never moved:
    Image


    Of course, it was all a part of Special Teams Coach Brad Seely's plan to "dial it back" on Special Teams against a division rival with conference seeding on the line. The technique shown above would ensure that opponents in the playoffs would not know to expect from the unit, and thus would be surprised when the 3 interior linemen actually DO block.

    It's all a part of Harbaugh's master plan guys. Don't you get it?
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1442
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • Well ya know the argument could be made that the only reason we didn't sweep the Niners is because our coaching staff was holding back the playbook from Wilson.

    BTW, to all you Niner fans sticking your chest out that you made it to the Super Bowl....

    Did you win?

    You're either first or last.
    User avatar
    amill87
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1353
    Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:35 pm


  • BASF wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.


    You know, looking at the picture, there are an awful lot of linemen who never moved:
    Image

    Is that for real? Almost has to be PhotoShopped! :lol:

    Such an epic fail is just priceless!
    Image
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    User avatar
    gargantual
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1244
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am
    Location: Lewiston, CA (but Seattle native :)


  • gargantual wrote:
    BASF wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.


    You know, looking at the picture, there are an awful lot of linemen who never moved:
    Image

    Is that for real? Almost has to be PhotoShopped! :lol:

    Such an epic fail is just priceless!


    Yes, it is real. I clipped that off of the video that is online.
    FIRE CABLE! 6 Home Games 9 False Starts By Linemen Lack Of Discipline
    Image
    User avatar
    BASF
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1566
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm


  • Gotta love the noise at the Clink. Looks like even the center wasn't aware the ball had been snapped.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3027
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • amill87 wrote:Well ya know the argument could be made that the only reason we didn't sweep the Niners is because our coaching staff was holding back the playbook from Wilson.

    BTW, to all you Niner fans sticking your chest out that you made it to the Super Bowl....

    Did you win?

    You're either first or last.


    ...so then the Seahawks have been last since the day of their inception.

    Sorry...that was too easy. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • BASF wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.


    You know, looking at the picture, there are an awful lot of linemen who never moved:
    Image


    WOW.

    I've never seen that.

    One is the longsnapper and they often never get out of their stance. One of them is Leanard Davis who is slow as hell.

    The last one tho is Mike Iupati. Dunno what happened there. Explains why the kick was blocked tho.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin i actually read through this entire thread, and i'll commmend you , you held your own, congrats...

    my problem with this argument that they scaled back the offense is why?

    seems to me, any playoff team could go back to whatever week Kap took over and start looking at game film from those games.... unless of course they scaled back the offense starting in week 10 and did so all the way through the rest of the season... so i'm not sure what this actually accomplished... everything your team did on offense in the playoffs was on film from week 10 on... am i wrong here..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4058
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • update: the 9'rs did not use their "real defense" during that game.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 667
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:14 pm


  • I would say that according to this press conference, young Kaepernick and Roman were not on the same page then.. hard to completely understand what Kap is feeling because he does so well with the media and all, but it's clear he's not happy about the manhandling... my favorite Kap quote " i wasn't worried about what their defense was doing, i was worried about what we were doing on offense"... maybe that was part of the problem Kap?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cP-OttWjv4
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4058
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • hawker84 wrote:Marvin i actually read through this entire thread, and i'll commmend you , you held your own, congrats...

    my problem with this argument that they scaled back the offense is why?

    seems to me, any playoff team could go back to whatever week Kap took over and start looking at game film from those games.... unless of course they scaled back the offense starting in week 10 and did so all the way through the rest of the season... so i'm not sure what this actually accomplished... everything your team did on offense in the playoffs was on film from week 10 on... am i wrong here..


    Thanks,

    Obviously, but they did roll out a number of things they'd never done. Also, DCs can't prepare for every single thing an NFL team ever did all season. They can only look at tendencies. There just isn't enough time. As a coordinator himself, Roman probably knew just how far back a coordinator could reasonably go.

    I think this is specifically the case with Seattle because there was a good likelyhood that the 49ers and 'hawks could have played each other in the playoffs...the Niners weren't going to roll out their entire bag of tricks.

    To be clear, it's possible the Seahawks did the same thing...they just haven't said so publically.

    As I've said all along...it may not have changed the outcome of the game. It wasn't that the 49ers weren't trying to win. The OC was just careful about what packages he installed and what plays were run.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Teqneek wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    CamanoIslandJQ wrote:RW had the playbook significantly limited until the second half of the season. From that point on it became evident that the Seahawks had found their FIRST ever franchise QB (the 49-er's have had several back in the day). That is what makes this fan very jacked up for the coming seasons. Look at RW's stats from the first half vs the second half to see why. I liked Kaepernick when he was available in the draft, but our guys thankfully went in a different direction. I will say that Kaepernick has a pretty good chance to be a *very good* QB, but the Seahawks have a QB that has a chance to be a *great* QB as he continues to improve and excell at the position. That's what has all of us Seahawks fans really, really excited.


    See this stuff just amazes me.

    Wilson can be great but Kaep only "very good"? Based on what? Kaep took his team to the Super Bowl in his 10th freakin start. Is Wilson the only one who can improve. It seems like this conversation is always that somehow Wilson will continue to improve till he is the second coming of Jesus Christ (unless he is already that) and that Kaep is a pretender who will obviously decline (jeez, who doesn't know that?).

    I think both guys have the potential to be the among the best in the NFL. I understand liking the QB who's on your team, but dude....Kaep has a chance to be INCREDIBLE.



    Because Wilson was a Rookie? Didnt have a year and almost a half to learn his teams playbook, players and work with them before hand consistently in camp and practice.

    THIS is what amazes me.. people act as if a QB gains nothing from being on the team already for a year and a half. Im not sure how Kaepernick took SF to the superbowl... Did you miss Alex Smiths numbers before he got knocked out? Its a system, the system prevailed, doesnt mean Kaepernick with a headstart on Wilson is a world beater.

    Kaepernick will be incredible when he stops running straight line or always bootlegging left to take off... and stops staring down his receivers.


    Well for a guy who stares down his receivers and can only run in a straight line (2 criticisms I only read on this site...I wonder why that is), he played pretty damn well in the playoffs. If that is really all you see it can only be for 3 reasons.... 1) You don't know what your looking at (which I'm hoping isn't the case), 2) You haven't actually seen that much of him (more likely), 3) You simply don't WANT to see what Niner fans see (most likely).

    All of this crap I read about Kaep and his 1 read thing is all wishful thinking. The straight line thing is nothing more than trying to draw a line in the sand between Wilson and Kaep.....Wilson DOES have better lateral mobility. Granted....but Kaep is 6'5", 240 pounds and has a HUGE arm. Pick which one you like better....I'm sure you'll pick the lateral movement.

    As for having a year to learn...I'll give you some of that...but remember he has had only 1 real offseason. The lockout was on last year. Also, regardless of how much time you spend watching, NOTHING can prepare you for the games. This also doesn't say ANYTHING about why Wilson can improve but you guys seem to think Kaep can't. I could even spin this to say Wilson had an ADVANTAGE because he came into the NFL FAR less raw than Kaep did. Its all perspective. Both of those guys have a world of potential. Stop acting like one has so much more potential than the other. Its false.

    Its the system? Give me a break. Of COURSE the system helps. It helps ALL QBs. Do you really think that Wilson would be the exact same guy if they didn't run play action to Lynch? Do you really think that the system has nothing to do with Wilsons success?

    Harbaugh has been a QB guru everywhere he's ever been (Josh Johnson at USD, Luck at Stanford, Smith and Kaep in SF). He is a master at grooming QBs. Is it your contention that Wilson is in a bad system and Harbaugh is a genius and that he has created a far superior system? I can't possibly imagine any Seattle fan making that argument...in particular when it gives Harbaugh credit for ANYTHING.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • lol. You can thank your own fans for enlightening us on Kaepernicks stare downs.

    http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/1/31/3939606/super-bowl-2013-ron-jaworski-colin-kaepernick

    If I did have to point to an area where Kap could improve, it would be the fact that he stares down receivers a little too frequently at times. He's got the arm to fire the ball past defenders anyway, but the stare-down is something he will need to work on. Hopefully he is able to avoid that this Sunday against a smart, veteran Ravens defense.


    http://www.modestopress.com/turlocks-colin-kaepernick-wins-backup-qb-battle-for-49ers-over-scott-tolzien/2687/

    Kaepernick lacks patience in the pocket. He is too antsy and takes off when there is an opening. He has the mentality of a run-first quarterback rather than the pass-first one that win playoff games. He has a big arm but stares down his receivers too much. Kaepernick seems to not be going through his full progressions/read properly in order to make the right play.


    http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/08/inside-the-49ers/kaepernick-the-good-and-the-not-so-good/

    The two interceptions. Unlike Alex Smith, who doesn’t do enough when he’s playing poorly, Kaepernick was trying to do too much. He kept trying to force the ball to rookie receiver Ronald Johnson, who just wasn’t open. When he threw the picks, he stared his receiver down. If he wants a shot to play quarterback in the 2011 regular season, he’s going to have to clean this up, because Alex Smith has for the most part.


    As far as one reading, over 10 starts he targeted Crabtree almost as much as he targeted the next 3 receivers, combined. Why do you think the Ravens fouled the hell out of Crabtree on the goal line? No secret that blitzing Kaep would make him force the ball to Crabs.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    User avatar
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 757
    Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am


  • See this stuff just amazes me.

    Marvin49:

    Wilson can be great but Kaep only "very good"? Based on what? Kaep took his team to the Super Bowl in his 10th freakin start. Is Wilson the only one who can improve. It seems like this conversation is always that somehow Wilson will continue to improve till he is the second coming of Jesus Christ (unless he is already that) and that Kaep is a pretender who will obviously decline (jeez, who doesn't know that?).
    I think both guys have the potential to be the among the best in the NFL. I understand liking the QB who's on your team, but dude....Kaep has a chance to be INCREDIBLE.


    this is the very point I try to make over on your board... and i get the exact same responses you got here... goes with the territory my man.. But please don't lump all Seahawk fans together...

    i for one don't see any reason Kap won't improve next season, nor do i see any reason he won't be a top 10/5 QB in the league in the next couple years... Only time will tell on these two.. the only difference i see in the two at this point is Kap has pure talent and the attributes to succeed, where Wilson has these as well but also has the "IT" factor.... you can just sense greatness with him..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4058
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • hawker84 wrote:
    See this stuff just amazes me.

    Marvin49:

    Wilson can be great but Kaep only "very good"? Based on what? Kaep took his team to the Super Bowl in his 10th freakin start. Is Wilson the only one who can improve. It seems like this conversation is always that somehow Wilson will continue to improve till he is the second coming of Jesus Christ (unless he is already that) and that Kaep is a pretender who will obviously decline (jeez, who doesn't know that?).
    I think both guys have the potential to be the among the best in the NFL. I understand liking the QB who's on your team, but dude....Kaep has a chance to be INCREDIBLE.


    this is the very point I try to make over on your board... and i get the exact same responses you got here... goes with the territory my man.. But please don't lump all Seahawk fans together...

    i for one don't see any reason Kap won't improve next season, nor do i see any reason he won't be a top 10/5 QB in the league in the next couple years... Only time will tell on these two.. the only difference i see in the two at this point is Kap has pure talent and the attributes to succeed, where Wilson has these as well but also has the "IT" factor.... you can just sense greatness with him..


    LOL. There you go again.

    I was with you right up until that last line.

    Seattle fans ALWAYS do that...and I will lump them together in this regard. Why does Wilson have "it" and Kaep does not? Kaep took his team to the Super Bowl in his 10th NFL start. Kaeps career QB rating through his FIRST 10 starts is nearly 100. He broke an NFL record in his first playoff start.

    The guy has Terrell Suggs of all people, a notorious QB hater, singing his praises. He calls him "special" and that Kaep will play in "a few of these" in reference to the Super Bowl.

    Don't believe me?


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj_9ackcS6k

    PLEASE tell me what the "it" is that Wilson has that Kaep does not?

    In his 1st start, he ripped the Chicago Bears a new one on Monday Night Football.

    In his 5th career start he went into NE. In December. He threw FOUR TDs to beat the Patriots who hadn't lost there in that month in a decade.

    In his 8th career start he started the game by throwing a pick 6 and then rebounding with one of the most impressive performances by a QB in playoff history (263 yards passing, 2 TDs, 181 yards rushing, 2 TDs). He accounted for 444 yards and FOUR TDs in his first playoff game...and again....8th NFL start.

    He was down 17 to Atlanta and took the team all the way back for the win...in the NFCCG.

    He was down 22 in the Super Bowl and almost pulled off the biggest comeback in SB history.


    What the hell is the "it" that Kaep seems to be missing!?!

    I understand what you mean about the "it" factor in terms of what it is. I agree with you that Wilson has it. Some guys just have "it" while others do not. What I object to is that fact that only the Pacific Northwest seems to think that Kaep does not. It's kinda comical.

    IMO, it's because Kaep is 6'5", 240, has a huge arm and can run like the Wind. Wilson is 5'11", 210 lbs, has a good arm and can run. When those are the two guys dimensions, fans of that smaller guy tend to try to look elsewhere for the argument as to why he's better. Therefore, any intangable they use in regards to Wilson CAN'T be attributed to Kaep. Its the same reason people are critical that Kaep can "only run in a straight line". Its because Wilson is one of the most elusive QBs in the NFL. Its simply an attempt to draw a line in the sand and find something that Wilson is better at.

    There is no need. I don't need to be convinced. I already think Wilson is a great young QB. I don't need to find holes in his game to diminish him in an attempt to make Kaep look better.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:Seattle fans ALWAYS do that...and I will lump them together in this regard. Why does Wilson have "it" and Kaep does not?


    What is with niner fans, why are they so insecure about Kaep?

    I see it on other boards too(and here), especially ProFootballTalk, anytime Wilson is brought up, hordes of niner fans start screaming in unison, "But but but... what about Colin Kaepernick, he's really good too!! Right guys?! Guys? Kaperdick is just as good! Isn't he?!"

    It's the strangest thing. You have a good QB. Enjoy.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5545
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • You know i don't know how to explain it Marvin... you either have it or you don't... again i'm not saying he won't have it, i just don't see it now.. Maybe it's because he portrays himself like an immature person with his interviews and on field antics.. maybe that's what turns me off.. and i'm not saying he is immature because i don't knonw him personally, just how i see him with the short snotty answers and the on field crap..

    i could very well be wrong, and he'll go on to be a Hall of Famer, he certainly has every skill to do just that.. i guess for me, time will tell.... but right now i don't see him like a Michael Jordan, or Montana, or Elway... Guys like that, that as soon as you see their team on the schedule you say crap, we got to face Jordan this week... Now i feel that way about the niners as a whole, but Kap alone does not strike fear into me, AT THIS POINT, that could very well change very quickly..

    With RW, i already see it being said... Crap we got RW in our division.. That little Fu**er is going to be a pain in our ass for the next decade.. he has that whatever it is that strikes fear in you...

    sorry, best i could do, don't know how to explain it better.
    Last edited by hawker84 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4058
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Seattle fans ALWAYS do that...and I will lump them together in this regard. Why does Wilson have "it" and Kaep does not?


    What is with niner fans, why are they so insecure about Kaep?

    I see it on other boards too(and here), especially ProFootballTalk, anytime Wilson is brought up, hordes of niner fans start screaming in unison, "But but but... what about Colin Kaepernick, he's really good too!! Right guys?! Guys? Kaperdick is just as good! Isn't he?!"

    It's the strangest thing. You have a good QB. Enjoy.


    ROTFLMAO!

    Perspective is funny. I feel the EXACT same way about Seahawk fans. This conversation has been going on for awhile on both this board and a Niner board where he's registered.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Like looking in a mirror eh Marvin.. go to the Web, you'll see this exact convo in reverse.. pretty funny.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4058
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Seattle fans ALWAYS do that...and I will lump them together in this regard. Why does Wilson have "it" and Kaep does not?


    What is with niner fans, why are they so insecure about Kaep?

    I see it on other boards too(and here), especially ProFootballTalk, anytime Wilson is brought up, hordes of niner fans start screaming in unison, "But but but... what about Colin Kaepernick, he's really good too!! Right guys?! Guys? Kaperdick is just as good! Isn't he?!"

    It's the strangest thing. You have a good QB. Enjoy.


    ROTFLMAO!

    Perspective is funny. I feel the EXACT same way about Seahawk fans. This conversation has been going on for awhile on both this board and a Niner board where he's registered.


    But yet here you are.... on a Seahawk board.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5545
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • hawker84 wrote:You know i don't know how to explain it Marvin... you either have it or you don't... again i'm not saying he won't have it, i just don't see it now.. Maybe it's because he portrays himself like an immature person with his interviews and on field antics.. maybe that's what turns me off.. and i'm not saying he is immature because i don't knonw him personally, just how i see him with the short snotty answers and the on field crap..

    i could very well be wrong, and he'll go on to be a Hall of Famer, he certainly has every skill to do just that.. i guess for me, time will tell.... but right now i don't see him like a Michael Jordan, or Montana, or Elway... Guys like that the as soon as you see their team on the schedule you say crap, we got to face Jordan this week... Now i feel that way about the niners as a whole, but Kap alone does not strike fear into me, AT THIS POINt, that could very well change very quickly..

    sorry, best i could do, don't know how to explain it better.


    Well...in regards to the way they handle the media, Wilson has Kaep beat hands down. No argument there. Kaep seems uncomfortable in front of the camera. He also is a fierce competitor and doesn't handle losing well. I remember after the Super Bowl most of his answers were one line. "Thoughts on the Super Bowl?". "I wasn't good enough". "How long will you remember this?". "The rest of my life".

    Some who have that opinion you stated at the top point to a couple things in particular...."Kaepernicking" and the spike of the football vs the Packers. The Kaepernicking this is misunderstood. During the season there was this really offensive article that was published by the Sporting News I think. It was VERY durogotory in regards to his tatoos. The theme was somehting like "Kaepernick will probably raise a Lombardi trophy in the near future and the inmates at San Quantin will rejoice". It was BAD. I think its one of the reasons he kinda distrusts the media.

    Kaep never said much about it....but when he scored a TD vs Miami on a 50 yard run he kissed the Tattoo on his arm and Kaepernicking was born. His management company ended up trademarking the term and made T-Shirts that he sold and gave the money to his favorite charity. Colin was adopted because his parents had lost two infant sons to Heart Disease. His charity is a foundation to fund research for Heart Disease.

    The other thing people point to was spiking the ball at a defender vs GB. This one is less defendable, but he was pumped up. He didn't really realize what he was doing till he had done it. It wasn't because he had just made a big run...it was because he had just been sandwitched and took a pretty good hit. It was more "you can't hurt me" than anything else. Still, it was a young players mistake and it was stupid.

    Bottom line....I understand why you think what you think. I just don't think you know the whole story.

    You aren't going to change your mind tho until you see it on the field.

    One thing is for sure tho...this certainly ain't the NFC Worst anymore.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:ROTFLMAO!

    Perspective is funny. I feel the EXACT same way about Seahawk fans. This conversation has been going on for awhile on both this board and a Niner board where he's registered.


    But yet here you are.... on a Seahawk board.


    ...and as I said...the conversation is going on in both places.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • hawker84 wrote:Like looking in a mirror eh Marvin.. go to the Web, you'll see this exact convo in reverse.. pretty funny.


    Totally.

    I know that lots of Niner fans marginalize Wilson on their boards. I'm guilty of calling Wilson an umpa lumpa among other things...but mostly just to get under a Seahawks fans skin. LOL.

    I'm also capable of seeing the humor in the Kaep/Gonzo Avatar I've seen on here. LOL.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:ROTFLMAO!

    Perspective is funny. I feel the EXACT same way about Seahawk fans. This conversation has been going on for awhile on both this board and a Niner board where he's registered.


    But yet here you are.... on a Seahawk board.


    ...and as I said...the conversation is going on in both places.


    Oh other places. Got it. :roll:

    You are proving my point. You are on a Seahawks board, trying to prop Kaepernick up to Wilson's level. You are pissing into the wind here. Why?

    If you were truly confident in his abilities, you wouldn't be here trying to convince us all. Trying to show us the light.

    Your presence here is transparent.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5545
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Oh other places. Got it. :roll:

    You are proving my point. You are on a Seahawks board, trying to prop Kaepernick up to Wilson's level. You are pissing into the wind here. Why?

    If you were truly confident in his abilities, you wouldn't be here trying to convince us all. Trying to show us the light.

    Your presence here is transparent.


    Then why respond? I'm not telling Hawker not to post on my "home" forum. Its a fun conversation.

    If you don't like it, move on and don't respond. Its really quite simple.

    I AM confident in Kaeps abilities just as Hawker is confident in Wilsons when he posts on the Niner boards.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • i'm sure a lot of what you say is true.... but that's get's into a whole other discussion for another time perhaps..

    i'll even take it into another direction..

    when RW brought us back against WA and ATL, he cemented his status with most hawk fans as a clutch QB... he proved no matter what the score is, we are always in the game with a chance to win.. he also did this against CHI and DET.. He's a clutch player and has proven this time and time again already in just his rookie season... Keep in mind those 5 losses, were by a combined 26 points with a chance to win in almost every one.

    Detroit and ATL especially were in the last minutes and he led us to go ahead TD's on the last drives , only to have our defense lose it in the end... you could say those drives were Elway or Montana-esk... both excelled at this...

    Kap had chance to do just this, and failed against BAL... to me that's the difference in the two.. You put Elway, Montana, Manning, Brady in that situation, chances are they're scoring...Kap coudn't get it done..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4058
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • Wilson is 1-0 against Keep head to head. So there's your answer.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3027
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • Wilson didn't have a healthy Lynch in that come back against Atlanta.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3027
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • hawker84 wrote:i'm sure a lot of what you say is true.... but that's get's into a whole other discussion for another time perhaps..

    i'll even take it into another direction..

    when RW brought us back against WA and ATL, he cemented his status with most hawk fans as a clutch QB... he proved no matter what the score is, we are always in the game with a chance to win.. he also did this against CHI and DET.. He's a clutch player and has proven this time and time again already in just his rookie season... Keep in mind those 5 losses, were by a combined 26 points with a chance to win in almost every one.

    Detroit and ATL especially were in the last minutes and he led us to go ahead TD's on the last drives , only to have our defense lose it in the end... you could say those drives were Elway or Montana-esk... both excelled at this...

    Kap had chance to do just this, and failed against BAL... to me that's the difference in the two.. You put Elway, Montana, Manning, Brady in that situation, chances are they're scoring...Kap coudn't get it done..


    ....yet Kaep DID complete the comeback vs Atlanta, DID respond to a pick 6 with a record setting performance against GB, and was only 5 yards from completing the biggest comeback in SB history. Saying that Elway, Montana, Manning or Brady would have is false....because it's NEVER been done.

    Ive talked to alot of 49er fans who blame Kaep for not scoring on that final drive saying that Montana or Young would have. Ya know what tho? They never had to. They were never down by 22 points. They never had the D completely fall apart in the first half and then see the second open with a kickoff return for a TD.

    The fact is tho that this kid was on the biggest stage of his life and he took the team all the way back to have a chance to make a throw on that final drive.

    It wasn't lack of "it" that didn't get it done. It was a lack of experience, some bad playcalling, a Ravens D playing well in the red-zone, and ...ahem....HOLDING!!!

    Sorry.....last one still smarts. ;-)
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3736
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • crappershit would rather take body shots and celebrate a loss, while his opponent is perfecting his craft and working out with his teammates. The off season hasn't even started yet, and Wilson already has the edge. I'll take the guy that is 100% dedicated to the QB position...EVERY time.
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2235
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online