Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Update: After working out 4, Seahawks to sign Brady Quinn
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:20 pm 
NET Veteran

Thigpen and Leinart must have stunk it up in the workout if Quinn and Wallace are the ones getting good buzz out of it. This really shouldn't surprise anyone, though.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm 
NET Veteran

Guys - us watching those teams on live doesn't compare with our coaching staff looking at them on the all-22 films and working them out. They must have showed something to prove that they are good enough to be signed. We are looking at probaby $1.5million-$2 million / year so Quinn and Seneca must have shown good ability and film must have backed something up.

I am not going to fault anyone for failing in Cleveland.....

Post subject: Re: Seahawks to sign Quinn today
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm 
NET Rookie

DavidSeven wrote:
Rat wrote:
I used to be absurdly high on Brady Quinn. I still think he could have been something special had be been drafted by almost anyone else.

Ditto. Was very high on him early on. Of course, his numbers have been AWFUL thus far. However, he's only gotten playing time on terrible rosters, and he was sort of screwed over in Denver due to the public clamoring for Tebow. By all accounts, Quinn beat him out in camp and practice (not a huge accomplishment, but still...).

Never thought highly of Leinart or Thigpen ever, so this doesn't really bother me. Plus, it's back up QB. Who freakin' cares.

AS mentioned by Volsung... please view the teams he played with.. he was suppose to do anythjing but fail with that ineptitude

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 pm 
NET Veteran

Yes it's "just a backup" but at the very least, a good back up QB can make the rest of the team better. Better reps in practice for WR, TEs and RBs, better scouting for the defense, faster acclimation to the play book / game plan, better film study meetings, better competition for RW (not that he needs it, but is central to this program) etc.

NET Veteran

The SEA/SF chess match continues. This time at backup QB.

Schneider "Oh yeah San Fran? I see your former Cleveland Browns 3rd round draft pick and I raise with a former Browns 1st rounder.

Not the biggest fan of the move but what do I know? Plus, he's just a backup. Has some experience but what really impressed me, as noted above, was his press conference after the Chiefs got a W after the Belcher tragedy. Very well said by Mr. Quinn. I never really bought the hype on him coming out of Notre Dame, but I definitely thought he'd do better than he did. A lot of that has to do with being drafted by the Browns though.

Here's wishing him the best in the Pacific Northwest!

NET Veteran

Don't you mean Office Depot? Wrong depot..... :177692: :sarcasm_off:

I haven't posted in a while. This place smells like Mickey Rourke.

JSeahawks wrote:
Somebody needs to carry Russell's bags and go to Home Depot to restock his collection of sticky notes. Quinn is just as qualified as any other.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Still probably will have a few mugs calling sports radio next season asking to have Quinn start, because that is what we crazy fans do.

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm 
NET Veteran

Sounds like he has potential to be a good QB room guy at the very least:

Adam Wright‏@BlueOsprey14m
Raiders HC Dennis Allen on Brady Quinn (2012): "He's a pro in every sense of the word. He comes to work every day and works the right way."

Adam Wright‏@BlueOsprey12m
Quinn, in a 2010 ESPN interview: "[My dad] taught me the best way to get an edge on someone is to outwork them." Quinn's dad was a marine.

Quinn cont'd: "I really feel that's the reason I never missed a game in college was because of how hard I worked and prepared myself."

Post subject: Re: Seneca, Lienart, Brady Quinn and Thigpen to workout in Sea
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:36 pm 
NET Veteran

DavidSeven wrote:
If he can still complete a handoff and a swing pass, he'll be fine.

Honestly, I always felt Quinn was a better option than Colt McCoy. I trust whatever decision PC/JS make based on the workout. They're doing the right due diligence.

What I hate about Quinn is he is a mess in game situations. McCoy might be captain checkdown but Quinn has always had a horrible TD/INT rate.

To say he sucked just because it was the Browns isn't fair either. Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler with the very same roster Quinn failed to get the job done. The Chiefs have some decent offensive weapons (Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, Charles) and he still struggled.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 pm 
NET Veteran

Thank God. Now we can start worrying about the draft instead of backup QBs.

Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm 
* NET Moderator *

DavidSeven wrote:

Raiders HC Dennis Allen on Brady Quinn (2012): "He's a pro in every sense of the word. He comes to work every day and works the right way."

Quinn, in a 2010 ESPN interview: "[My dad] taught me the best way to get an edge on someone is to outwork them." Quinn's dad was a marine.

Quinn cont'd: "I really feel that's the reason I never missed a game in college was because of how hard I worked and prepared myself."

Those quotes sound a lot like another Qb on our roster.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:41 pm 
NET Veteran

WestcoastSteve wrote:
To say he sucked just because it was the Browns isn't fair either. Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler with the very same roster Quinn failed to get the job done. The Chiefs have some decent offensive weapons (Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, Charles) and he still struggled.

That 10-6 Browns team was an anamoly IMO. Even Anderson regressed a ton the following year. I think both QBs got screwed by Crennel's ridiculous waffling that following season. Perhaps irreparably.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:42 pm 
NET Veteran

drdiags wrote:
Still probably will have a few mugs calling sports radio next season asking to have Quinn start, because that is what we crazy fans do.

Maybe the FO decided on Quinn precisely so there WOULDN'T be anyone calling for him to start...

"Man, Wilson is regressing! He sucks now! Start Qu... you know what? Nevermind. Go Wilson!"

:stirthepot:

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:44 pm 
NET Veteran

JSeahawks wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:

Those quotes sound a lot like another Qb on our roster.

Can you say "film room BFFs"?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:53 pm 
NET Rookie

WestcoastSteve wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:
If he can still complete a handoff and a swing pass, he'll be fine.

Honestly, I always felt Quinn was a better option than Colt McCoy. I trust whatever decision PC/JS make based on the workout. They're doing the right due diligence.

What I hate about Quinn is he is a mess in game situations. McCoy might be captain checkdown but Quinn has always had a horrible TD/INT rate.

chiefs have no 1 pick for a reason...wasnt just qb play that struggled...i think quinn/portis battle will be very very close for backup job..

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 pm 
NET Veteran

drdiags wrote:

I'd imagine it'll go something like this...

"Quinn should start! He was a first rounder and Russell Wilson was only a third rounder!!! Wilson's gonna have a sophomore slump because he's too short and defenses will learn how to figure him out!!! Should have drafted Andy Dalton!!!"

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 pm 
NET Veteran

NYCoug wrote:
drdiags wrote:

I'd imagine it'll go something like this...

"Quinn should start! He was a first rounder and Russell Wilson was only a third rounder!!! Wilson's gonna have a sophomore slump because he's too short and defenses will learn how to figure him out!!! Should have drafted Andy Dalton!!!"

Just wait to see what they say if Wilson gets on the Madden cover! :roll:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:22 pm 
* NET Nobody *

drdiags wrote:

LOL, thanks for the laff drdiags :D

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:29 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

My wife is going to love this signing.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 pm 
NET Veteran

If Pete and company tried out all 4 QBs, and came to the conclusion that Quinn was the better fit for this team, then I am on board. I trust their opinions and outlook much more that any of you armchair coaches @ Seahawks.net. :mrgreen:

Last edited by nategreat on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm 
NET Veteran

WestcoastSteve wrote:

Yeah, Quinn hasn't done anything thrilling but that's kinda weak sauce, Anderson was a one hit wonder in what, four years on the Browns roster? And how many quarterbacks have gone to Kansas City purgatory to die over the last 8 or 10 years?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

DavidSeven wrote:
WestcoastSteve wrote:

That 10-6 Browns team was an anamoly IMO. Even Anderson regressed a ton the following year. I think both QBs got screwed by Crennel's ridiculous waffling that following season. Perhaps irreparably.

Yep. I remember rooting for them a bit that year. Of any in that division, it's easy to hope the Browns come out on top, kind of a "let him back up once you've kicked him around so long" kinda thing. Even then, it was kind of an anomaly, like you knew they were going to get skunked when they played anybody even above average. That season was wedged smack in the middle of nine losing seasons, where their best record aside from that was 6-10.

I like what I see about his work ethic. That translates to at least being a good teammate. And if he can hold a clipboard, and come in when he has to, or when the game's already out of reach, and hold his own, I'm fine with it. He doesn't have to be a world-beater.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:56 pm 
* Report Button *

I'm in....

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:57 pm 
NET Veteran

Quote:
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 51s
Seahawks are signing Brady Quinn to back-up Russell Wilson after working out QBs yesterday

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:57 pm 
NET Rookie

I'm pumped and jacked as well.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:18 pm 
NET Veteran

Quote:
chiefs have no 1 pick for a reason...wasnt just qb play that struggled...i think quinn/portis battle will be very very close for backup job..

Actually they were 5th in the NFL in rushing, 19th in sacks allowed, 20th in total defense. They also had 6 Pro Bowlers.

They were last in passing yards and second to last in QB rating. They had a horrible coach but I think the QB's had a big part of the Chiefs struggling, you know it's bad when the fans cheer when one of them gets injured.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm 
* NET Radish *

Lady Talon wrote:

lol, I agree. This will keep the pro/nay sayers busy for those few weeks.

:lol:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:34 pm 
* NET Moderator *

The Radish wrote:
Lady Talon wrote:

Just wait for the epic Quinn vs Portis vs 7th round draft pick QB debate threads that await us this fall!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm 
NET Veteran

JSeahawks wrote:
The Radish wrote:
Lady Talon wrote:

Just wait for the epic Quinn vs Portis vs 7th round draft pick QB debate threads that await us this fall!

That is at least grounded in the realm of possibility, at least trading for Tebow threads are done with.

Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:17 pm 
NET Veteran

Obviously they signed Brady Quinn to fill the WAG void when we lost Matt Flynn's girlfriend. Quinn is dating Olympic hottie Alicia Sacramone.

Did not embed because probably NSFW:
http://cdn03.cdnwp.thefrisky.com/wp-con ... 00x450.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:22 pm 
NET Veteran

Teqneek wrote:

AS mentioned by Volsung... please view the teams he played with.. he was suppose to do anythjing but fail with that ineptitude

I don't care what team you're playing on, 2 TDs and 8 INTs is unforgivable. Freakin' Blaine Gabbert had better stats then him and he was on a crappy team too.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:32 pm 
NET Veteran

If they did sign him than i think his arm strength would be the reason becuase thats the only thing that seperates himself from the others in my opinion.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:39 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

We have a powerful running game, playmakers at wide receiver, and a defense that should be one of the league's best again. I don't expect a backup quarterback to be able to come in and win games for us, and if we do sign Quinn and he has to play I don't think that he will have to. My question is can he come in and NOT LOSE games for us, i.e. not make the dumb mistake or turn the ball over when we can least afford it. He is clearly not a starting caliber QB, but if he can keep from screwing up when we are relying on the rest of the team to carry the load, Seattle will be all right.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:18 pm 
NET Veteran

I didn't expect him to win out of this group but Brady Quinn was my favorite player before Golden Tate came along so I'm beyond stoked about this just for sentimental reasons.

Even got an authentic-ish Browns jersey for him lol

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 pm 
NET Veteran

Ickkyfafoo! Not a fan of this signing but with all of the offensive weapons Quinn might even look good! In JS I trust!

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:45 pm 
* NET Eeyore *

I would have preferred Thigpen, but I am ok with whatever this FO decides to do.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:30 pm 
NET Rookie

I think we have a great supporting cast for Quinn. We should be better with Quinn than the 49ers with McCoy.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 pm 
I'M JIMMY!

HawkEye wrote:
I think we have a great supporting cast for Quinn. We should be better with Quinn than the 49ers with McCoy.

Man.. I dunno about that. I think I like McCoy better than Quinn. Scrappier for sure. Look, all he has to do is dump it off to Harvin and hand it to Lynch. I guess that is OK by me. Anything past that? I dunno. Those guys must have seen something in Quinn that no one else has in the last few years, because I think that guy STUNK :)

Keep on slidin Russell!!!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

It's official now.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Seahawks-settle-on-Brady-Quinn/dafec7b1-0c71-4fb7-9d13-91f6883ed57e

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 pm 
NET Starter

HagFaithful wrote:
Statistically, approximately 1/6 of NFL teams will have to rely on their backup QB at some point next season, an even smaller percentage for a lengthy stretch of the season. Unless you have a crystal ball and can 100% guarantee that we will not be part of that percentage, we should take the search for a backup QB seriously. With the roster we're sitting on, to NOT have a "backup plan" (pun intended) would be galactically unforgivable. Aliens would come down and crap on PC/JS. .

Wait, that can't be right. Only 1/6?

Off the top of my head last year alone I can name SF, Pitt, AZ(lol), Washington, Chicago, Philly, Minny, KC and Oakland.

I'm sure there are a few more. It doesn't seem like those numbers would be that far off from any other season. I'm surprised it's not closer to 1/5th or 1/4th

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 pm 
NET Veteran

hey he has a hot sister!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:56 pm 
NET Veteran

Hey...with a name like Brady...he jus gots to be good!

Wouldn't have been my first pick, but as others have mentioned, the FO probably has a better feel for these things than any of us.

With the exception of being asked to convert 3rd and longs, in 4th qtr play, he will basically just be handing the ball to Turbin and you have to think this is as good as it will ever get for the once promising Golden domer.

I should have it so good. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:01 pm 
NET Veteran

HawkFan72 wrote:

Most interesting thing I learned here is that Chase Daniel (Drew Brees's old back up) signed with KC. That led me to look up what New Orleans was doing for back up. They signed the world renowned Luke McCown away from the Falcons. Now Atlanta currently has a 2012 undrafted FA as its only back up to Matt Ryan.

We seriously have to have the only fan base in the country that puts this much emphasis on the back up QB situation.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:06 pm 
NET Veteran

Brady Quinn played for QB coach Carl Smith in Cleveland so it makes some sense we'd bring him in for a visit.

If the coaches liked what they saw to sign him over the others, good enough for me.
He was awesome in college and what many considered a steal in the 1st round at pick 22.

Now granted he hasnt enjoyed success in the NFL but i was never too keen on Thigpen and hes gotta be better than matt Leinart who has zero escapability skills and a weak arm. At least Quinn is mibile wih a strong arm.

We will probably still draft a mid round QB anyways and let him compete against Quinn and Portis for the backup job.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 pm 
NET Veteran

Nobody knows back up (calibre) QBs like us.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 pm 
NET Veteran

CALIHAWK1 wrote:
So who of the 4 named back ups mentioned would you take over Jackson?

Not that it matters anymore, but I would have taken Wallace over Jackson ANY day.
He wasn't anywhere near as inconsistent, as Jackson.
He made WAY quicker decisions, WAY more accurate, and played for a head Coach that wanted his QB's to operate the WCO, but still kept him as a back up because he felt that Seneca would keep the games close enough to win.
Go watch Seneca Wallace on U-Tube, then tell me he isn't way closer to playing in the Russell Wilson style, than Jackson, Lienart, or Thigpen.
Although I had Wallace as my 1st preference, Quinn must have impressed the Coaching staff a little more in the try-outs so I'm okay with their expertise in the matter.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:29 pm 
NET Veteran

Brock Huard mentioned either today or yesterday that he heard rumors that Seneca Wallace has lost arm strength. Wallace was originally my preference, too, but if those rumors are true, then Quinn is probably the right choice of the four. That would also help explain why no team took a shot on Seneca last year. He would have been a no-brainer if he had the same tools he had in 2009.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 pm 
* NET X's & O's Guru *

BBBAAHHHHH!! We should have traded a 5th round pick for Peyton Manning!!!

Oh, you say that the pickins are slim, we needed to fill the roster spot, and it's not a perfect world? Ok, I suppose Brady will do for Backup QB

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:10 pm 
NET Veteran

If they brought in all four and Quinn is the one who got the contract good for him. I'm sure the team knows what they are doing and what they were looking for. If Brady Quinn has the tangibles they wanted in their backup QB more power to him. I hope he never has to see the field, but should he see the field I hope he has what it takes to be prepared, and that he learns from Wilson's example when it comes to that preparation.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 pm 
NET Starter

From a Browns fan, people said Brady Quinn had pretty good games, but he has his bad games ala example the Seahawks game that ended 6-3 with Browns barely winning. If Quinn can replicate his good performances because he certainly has decent tangibles, just need to be more consistent. A lot of people say that coaching can help rookies develop, just think Quinn is a more experience QB just need a little coaching and watching Wilson do his thing, Quinn can turn out decent in late games and might net us a draft pick later on. That is only if he makes it through the camp...haha
Guess the only reason we chose Quinn cause of age, tangibles, and the potential to play a good game with a good squad in the Seahawks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]