Keenan Allen runs a 4.71 & 4.75

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
The Cal receiver was clocked by NFL Network's Mike Mayock at 4.71 and 4.75 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his Tuesday pro day, confirming that blazing speed is not a quality Allen offers.

"Let me preface the whole 40-yard conversation with this," Mayock told NFL Network's "Path to the Draft." "Three months ago, I said -- if you watch this kid on tape -- if you like him, he's Anquan Boldin. If you don't like him, he's speed deficient. So I don't really care what he runs in the 40. On tape, to me, he's a 4.55 guy all day long."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... per-mayock

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He was running a 4.6 at 190lbs in high school and Alabama wanted him to play safety.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
This is what is boils down to for me.

Allen was considered an athletic, tall receiver. A potential major difference maker.

And he's lighter than DeAndre Hopkins, only one inch taller, he's slower and he has a smaller wingspan and hands.

I'd take Hopkins every time as a comparison.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't think Allen will be a Super Star, and never have. But I do see him having a really solid career. Bobby Engram like.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
This could hurt him quite a bit. It's just about a guarentee Patterson and Austin will go ahead of him. I wonder if he will fall out fo the 1st completely now. I think most thought he was at least a 4.55 guy 4.6 at the worst. a 4.7 is just awful, but I'd take him in a heartbeat at #56. I hope SF doesn't get him at #31.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Ouch that is slow. Irvin was in the low 4.5s. I agree it is not just raw speed , some as in the case of Rice can cut on a dime and have very quick acceleration initially but then plateau a bit but maintain the ability to continue to accelerate for a longer duration.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't see that one coming. I was way off on him and his speed. Hell, I damn near guaranteed he'd run 4.6 or faster.

I still really like him. His game has never been about speed, but damn I'd hope he could have put out a time better than 4.7!

FWIW,

"NFL.com's Mike Mayock says he was told by scouts that Cal WR Keenan Allen is a 4.55 player on tape.
Allen ran a 4.71 and 4.75 40-yard dashes at his pro day, per Mayock, and the comments from the scouts comes as no surprise. Allen is a big, physical wide receiver that is a better athlete than he times and is very versatile. He can line up all over the formation and create matchup problems for defenses in ways similar to Miles Austin. Mayock said Allen could go anywhere from pick 25 to 45.
Source: NFL.com Apr 9 - 2:00 PM"
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/ ... dlines?r=1

Hawks46

Reaction score
Nice that we read the whole article. 8)

He's recovering from a PCL injury and trainers say he's at about 70-80% of his former explosion. Allen himself said he's at 85%. Like someone posted above, he'd have been better off not running like Crabtree did, but the fact that he did shows he's healthy, or will be by TC and OTA's.

Subzero717

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":jcmj1is1 said:
This is what is boils down to for me.

Allen was considered an athletic, tall receiver. A potential major difference maker.

And he's lighter than DeAndre Hopkins, only one inch taller, he's slower and he has a smaller wingspan and hands.

I'd take Hopkins every time as a comparison.

What does the tape say?

kearly

Reaction score
Cool, looks like Rob was right. I agree with Mayock though. On tape he's the same exact speed as guys like Stedman Bailey. BTW, I love that John Simon's pro-day 40 time was .13 faster that Keenan Allen's. This is just the latest reason I always take pro-day times with a grain of salt.

CALIHAWK1":3dx8u8vl said:
What does the tape say?

Hopkins has far better tape than Allen, IMO.