Anquan Boldin - not happy?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of the can:t draft talk as muchh as the unproven
2010 was obviously influenced by McCloughan and 2011 Blake was picking early in the draft compliments of poor play, 2012 he had neither McCloughan or early picks and produced Neil. 2013 is a prove it year IMO.

Tim Ruskell's first of season and draft got the Seaawks to the super bowl but what he did after that completely destroyed the franchise.

We'll see just like we'll see if Harvin was worth the price.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2e8kfhov said:
I haven't seen a lot of the can:t draft talk as muchh as the unproven
2010 was obviously influenced by McCloughan and 2011 Blake was picking early in the draft compliments of poor play, 2012 he had neither McCloughan or early picks and produced Neil. 2013 is a prove it year IMO.

Tim Ruskell's first of season and draft got the Seaawks to the super bowl but what he did after that completely destroyed the franchise.

We'll see just like we'll see if Harvin was worth the price.

I could just as easily say that all of the prior drafts McCloughan had in SF were influenced by Baalke (particularly since Scot had a drinking problem). Baalke was his right hand man the entire time. McCloughan drafted Smith when he should have selected Rogers. He took Kentwan Balmer in round 1. He was a good GM, but he wasn't infalable.

Early picks don't mean a thing if you take the wrong guy. NOBODY thought Aldon Smith was going to be a top 10 pick. They didn't just take the logical guy there. Baalke also PASSED on Blaine Gabbert to take Aldon and then moved UP in round 2 to get Kaepernick. He followed that up with Chris Culliver, Kendall Hunter, Daniel Kilgore (you don't know him now but may in the not to distant future), and Bruce Miller (who played DE in college and the Niners made him a FB).

This notion that Scot built the team and that Baalke is just living off those picks is a fallacy. Are a number of those players on the roster? Yes...they were very good picks. I take nothing away from Scot, but it seems Seattle fans WANT desparately to believe that Baalke doesn't know what he's doing and it was ALL McCloughan.

Say what you want in 2010, but it was Baalke who made those picks. It was Baalke who moved up for Anthony Davis. It was Baalke who selected Mike Iupati. It was Baalke who selected Navorro Bowman in round THREE.

Wanting the Niners to suck in the draft process is just wishful thinking in the Pacific Northwest.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
And nothing you just said changes my point. You say Seahawks fans want him to fail well don't 9er fans feel the opposite?
Fact is this is his prove it draft. He has 14 picks and not early or with McClouan's input. If he fails like last year there is no excuse and you know it.

Make all the excuses and assumptions you want but it doesn't change the results of his only draft without early picks or McCloughan's input.

By the way, trying to point out McCloughan's bad picks in an attempt to discredit him so Balls looks better is weak sauce. Balke was part of those bad picks also and McCloughan as GM brought you some amazing talent over the years.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2vwkhxu8 said:
And nothing you just said changes my point. You say Seahawks fans want him to fail well don't 9er fans feel the opposite?
Fact is this is his prove it draft. He has 14 picks and not early or with McClouan's input. If he fails like last year there is no excuse and you know it.

Make all the excuses and assumptions you want but it doesn't change the results of his only draft without early picks or McCloughan's input.

By the way, trying to point out McCloughan's bad picks in an attempt to discredit him so Balls looks better is weak sauce. Balke was part of those bad picks also and McCloughan as GM brought you some amazing talent over the years.

Not sure you can say this is his make it or brake it draft just because we have 14 picks this year, as we will obviously NOT be picking 14 guys in the draft or signing all of our draft selectees to a contract given our cap situation.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":248uqbbt said:

Wait....huh?

So......Baalke gets no credit for the 2010 draft but gets blame for the bad picks that McCloughan made? Interesting...

BTW, I wasn't attempting to discredit McCloughan. I thought he was a good GM and was sad to see him go. My point was that even good GMs don't hit on every pick. Bill Walsh was one of the best talent evaluators ever and he MOVED UP to draft Reggie McGrew in the first round and signed Lawrence Phillips as a FA. They all make mistakes.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2rr78kcd said:
RichNhansom":2rr78kcd said:

Not sure you can say this is his make it or brake it draft just because we have 14 picks this year, as we will obviously NOT be picking 14 guys in the draft or signing all of our draft selectees to a contract given our cap situation.

Well we actually only have 13 picks now (after Colt McCoy trade), but your point is correct. The Niners will probably move up in the draft from a few of their current spots and will also probably trade some picks into next year.

757Niner

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1oagy3cu said:

You have NO idea what you're talking about. Scot McClueless was a horrible talent evaluator. Its no wonder our draft sucked as soon as they stripped Nolan of his GM duties and put McNugget in charge. McRib deserves no credit for that 2010 draft because he didn't make the final call on draft day. Baalke did.

Trent Baalke, director of player personnel, will handle the majority of the decisions on draft day including the final word on which players to select. Director of pro personnel Tom Gamble will assist Baalke during the draft.

On how much it sets back the organization losing their GM a month before the draft:

“Not at all. Trent has all the information that we need. I have full confidence in Trent to be able to execute. He’s been the person that’s been out on the road. He’s organized the area scouts. He will absolutely be able to lead us through the draft.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/jed-yor ... rence-call

Or maybe you're one of those fans who thinks a GM just solely works alone in his little office and does everything independently. McFlurry had help putting together his draft board. But that's besides the point. Its not as simple as just scrolling down a big board and selecting a player. What other teams do and don't do, dictates the moves you make and the players you select or are available for you to select on draft day. Do you trade up? Do you trade back? Do you go need over bpa and vice versa? You take all that into account when you're on the clock. You make it sound as if Baalke just picked the players McDouble had already outlined for him to select. Please tell me you're not that dense?

Mike Nolan will keep his job as 49ers coach but will relinquish final say over personnel decisions, according to ESPN.com. After two days of meetings, 49ers owners John and Denise DeBartolo York decided Tuesday night to retain Nolan, who has two years left on the five-year contract he signed before the 2005 season. Nolan also had been the general manager but has agreed to give up that control as a condition for his return. The top contender to take over general manager duties is believed to be current vice president of player personnel Scot McCloughan.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008 ... lin-tackle

So let's take a look at what happens when McChicken has final say over a draft.

1 29 Kentwan Balmer
2 8 Chilo Rachal
3 12 Reggie Smith
4 8 Cody Wallace
6 8 Josh Morgan
7 7 Larry Grant OLB

His first 3 picks are no longer in the league. Wallace will probably be next. Only Morgan and Grant remain. Morgan was a good find. Grant turned into a solid depth LB. But his first 4 picks were atrocious. Explain that?

**EDIT** Chilo Rachal just signed with the Cards. And one of the weakest O-Lines in football just got a little worst. We'll see if he makes the final 53. Reggie Smith justed signed with the Raiders. They're so devoid of talent at safety he might stick. Still lousy picks.

1 10 Michael Crabtree
3 10 Glen Coffee
5 10 Scott McKillop
5 35 Nate Davis QB
6 11 Bear Pascoe
7 10 Curtis Taylor
7 35 Ricky Jean-Francois

Crabtree fell in his lap so I won't give him credit for that. WR was our biggest need and the most productive WR through 2 years in college history fell to the 10th pick. Coffee is no longer in the league. McKillop is a 3rd string back-up/ST guy in Buffalo. Nate Davis didn't make it 3 years in the league. Curtis Taylor was out of the league for two years before we signed him just before the playoffs last year. He was signed by the Cards this off-season. Decent back-up/ST guy. Pascoe caught on with the Giants after we released him as blocking TE. RJF was the second best pick in that draft after Crabs. Still a very unimpressive draft.

So to clarify, the TWO drafts that McMuffin was in charge of, had finally say in, produced ONE viable, sure-fire starter. And that was a prospect who was pretty much hand-picked for him to select based on biggest team need. But all of the drafts before and after these two, produced tons of starters and Pro Bowl talent. But you're implying McGriddle deserves credit for the ones he didn't have final say over right? C'MON MANNNNN!

I don't know why its hard for most 'Hawks fans to give Baalke credit. I give Schneider tons a credit. I knew he would do well, coming out of that Packers front office and working under Ted Thompson. Which is exactly why I didn't want him in our division. He's done a great job of drafting and adding pieces in free agency. Though I think Avril isn't a great fit and extremely overrated, Bennett and Harvin were great acquisitions. Still have to play the games but you can't argue with the vision. I just don't understand some over-zealous 'Hawks fans thinking that we should already hand over the NFC West trophy because of these moves. That book has yet to be written.

Trying to use McCafe as a means to discredit Baalke is just lame and doesn't give you a leg to stand on. Because the FACTS suggest otherwise. And who judges a draft not even a year after? If Jenkins does well next year, alot of you will have egg on your face. He had 4 NFL caliber wideouts with experience ahead of him on the depth chart the minute he was drafted. Crabs, Moss, and Manningham are legit NFL talents, who have produced in this league. And Kyle Williams was really becoming a factor for us in his packages before he got hurt. I said the minute he was drafted that he'd be lucky to make the 45 active on Sundays. I saw the potential but I also knew, barring injury and him improving his functional strength and base overnight that he was more of a longshot to contribute last season. I just happened to be right....which happens alot.

You're also failing to realize we had a loaded roster before the draft. None of the picks were guys who were sought to come in right away and contribute, excluding injury to someone ahead of them on the depth chart if they even made the roster. Fleming would have probably helped when Haralson went down in preseason but he blew out his knee before the ink on his contract was even dry. Baalke got six sure fire starters in the previous two drafts. Might be seven if we release Goodwin and they make Kilgore the starter, which is very possible looking at our cap at the moment. Not to mention, another future starter in Cully. And a ton of depth with guys like Kyle Williams, Anthony Dixon, and Kendall Hunter. Exactly where did you expect the 2012 class to fit in?

Shinigami

Reaction score
757Niner you really have no clue what you're talking in reference to McCloughan. He had a lot to do with the drafting during his tenure there; he was the one who snagged Crabtree, and Patrick Willis. Now his main problem was that he was an Alcoholic, and if that wasn't a problem he may still be with the 49ers.

I think it's foolish for homer Seahawk fans to simply dismiss Balke as if he hasn't had good picks recently, and it's foolish of 49er fans to dismiss what McCloughan, and even Mike Nolan did for your franchise. They were both good evaluators of talent and yes that includes Alex Smith, you can make an argument if McCarthy or Turner had stayed with them longer (neither of whom were fired but given HEAD COACHING jobs) the version of Smith you all saw under Harbaugh would have probably emerged sooner; now Nolan as a head coach sucked, but that's a while other issue.

McCloughan and Blake have done great things for the 49ers and to say neither of them had any impact is foolish and to dismiss the solid things they've done is foolish; they've both made dumb choices, but also solid ones.