Walterfootball's 2014 nfl draft

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Always fun to look forward to some of the prospects that will be available next year. Some serious talent next year, I think those top 5 picks all probably would have gone #1 this year. Although i'm not completely sold on Manziel as an NFL QB yet (but will be if he puts together another year like last), I do think he'll get drafted top 5 just on name alone.

4 quarterbacks in the top 10.

But the real reason I am linking this... notice where Walter (who many here have called a Seahawks hater in the past) has the Hawks picking, #32.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2014.php

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I kinda like this David Fales dude from San Jose State. Here he is against two very good defenses.

[youtube]riq0GQOefMA[/youtube]

[youtube]pgxoG7NsYv4[/youtube]

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Walter is finally hopping aboard the Hawks bandwagon. Of course this is after he claimed that pretty much every Seahawk pick in the past two drafts were "Matt Millen" level reaches.

NYCoug

Reaction score
J, I'm with you on Fales.

The other day I was looking at a game of Quissenberry's, the LT on San Jose State and although he looked solid, I couldn't keep my eyes from wandering to the QB play. Fales was making some really nice decisions/throws. I had seen his #'s and what he was able to do with a normally terrible SJSU squad because I have a bizarre love for the WAC but I had never really seen him play. After watching the BYU tape and now these 2 videos you posted here (thanks for that), I'm pretty sold on the guy.

Although I will say that QB rankings rarely stay the same from year to year. Remember that at this time last year Barkley was a pretty sure-fire lock to be a top 5 pick and Tyler Wilson was projected to be a 1st rounder also. Some of these guys will fall, others will rise but no matter how it shakes out it should be a pretty loaded QB draft.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Andrew "Action" Jackson, ILB, WKU. Mean, relentless, just nasty. Has nice calf definition, which is very telling when evaluating prospects (sorry, no link).

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Way to high for Manziel, he is a college playmaker, and I am not sure his game will transfer, he is RG3 lite. Not as acturate, or fast. and has a smaller frame.... that should scare some teams

NYCoug

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":2n9ojasn said:
Andrew "Action" Jackson, ILB, WKU. Mean, relentless, just nasty. Has nice calf definition, which is very telling when evaluating prospects (sorry, no link).

Calf definition for the freakin win!!! Excellent stuff Hawk Finn, no need for a link, I believe you.

This seriously has me pumped for Action Jackson. You win the internet.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
sainthawk29":3oy69hdn said:
Way to high for Manziel, he is a college playmaker, and I am not sure his game will transfer, he is RG3 lite. Not as acturate, or fast. and has a smaller frame.... that should scare some teams

I agree with you. I also don't think he has the plus arm strength that a Robert Griffin has. But the success of guys like Wilson, Griffin and Kaepernick will get him drafted in the top 5 if he has another good season.

The one concern that I have about him is that i'm a bit worried about how he's handling his success. You see him popping up on TMZ a lot out partying and living it up, seems a bit Matt Leinartish. Hopefully thats just his youth and he'll mature and become more focused on his craft.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":19hm6hm3 said:

I like his calfs, but believe that his draft stock will take a major hit when its discovered at the Combine that they are implants.

hai

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":29rw8xuv said:
The strength of next years draft (at THIS stage) IMO will be OL, DL and WR.
Right after the season ended for us, those 3 positions were our weakest, after FA this year it seemed like we kind of signed some good player for short contracts, which could mean they set themselves up for this position years earlier....JS&PC are geniuses, even though i would assume a lot of other GM have done this, but they stuck to the plan, like JS said.

two dog

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that and was amused by it. Jump out in front of whatever parade is going by.

One of the guys on his mock draft central had Bridgewater going ahead of Clowney.
Now that is really funny, unless you are super, super quarterback needy or Jadeveon
breaks both legs.

500 posts, 500 posts......In this company that's like saying "the phone books are here, the phone books are here".

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1f715ft5 said:
The strength of next years draft (at THIS stage) IMO will be OL, DL and WR.

I think you could add LB to that group too. There are probably 5 LBs that could carry a first round grade heading into the season.

I'd put Mosley, Van Noy, Barr and Trent Murphy from the OLB pool, and Andrew Jackson at the MLB spot.

As for WR, I think it'll require a significant infusion of underclassmen to fill it out. Which is typically expected. The headliner talent would be juniors in 2014 no question.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Throwdown":3jseduut said:
Teddy Bridgewater is the real deal holyfield, dude can ball.

This T.B. is athletic enough to run the read-option but smart enough to break you down with his arm. Different game than Russell but similar intangibles.

kearly

Reaction score
Johnny Manziel has some major issues when the scouting lens is applied.

I'd still take him #1 overall in a heartbeat if I needed a QB. Natural ability and intangibles are even better than Wilson's IMO (Wilson's were the highest I'd ever seen last year), although Wilson was a better pure QB. Like Wilson, Manziel is a QB who re-writes the rules of what a great QB should look like. He was also just a freshman last year. Funny how people forget that part.

Reason why Manziel will be great? He plays the game at an extremely fast speed mentally. Most QBs don't consistently progress through reads. Manziel not only progesses through reads, but does so at Aaron Rodgers type speed. As a freshman he's like that. Then you couple that incredible mental quickness and decision making with Fran Tarkenton mobility. There are things to harp on him for, but I wouldn't recommend investing in being a Manziel doubter. He's going to be an amazing NFL QB.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Manziel's got one thing that Russell Wilson doesn't...

Original crop exact

Ooff, low blow. My bad. Not quite Desmond Bryant but I'm sure someone with photoshop we'll make it seem that way.

Seriously though, I'm with Kip on this one. Manziel's got superstar written all over him. He's got the elite feel for the game like a Rodgers or a Wilson with crazy athleticism to go along with it. It IS crazy to think that he was only an RS Freshman. Crazy how Jadeveon Clowney (another guy I think is going to be a superstar) for all the talk about insurance policies and stuff, might not even be the #1 overall pick next year. I think if Manziel has another monster season and decides to be the anti-Locker/Barkley and come out very early, he would have a pretty damn good shot at going #1.

Gotta love Bridgewater too. I'm confident he'll beat the Louisville QB curse and end up better than Dave Ragone/Stefan Lefors/Brian Brohm. I thought Brohm was going to be a beast too and that didn't turn out too well for him. Man next year's draft has the potential to be loaded! I'd do anything to get Clowney. It's probably a good thing I'm not in charge because many a draft pick would be spent on moving up from #32 to get him!

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Completely disagree about his intangibles being Russell Wilson like. If you ask me, ever since winning the Heisman trophy Manziel has shown a really large degree of immaturity (completely understandable for a 20 year old kid being thrust into the spotlight). Seems he's been on TMZ more often then he's been on a practice field. Doesnt appear to me that he takes his craft very seriously at all. Wouldnt surprise me even a little bit if his play was not nearly as good this year as last.

That said, as far as his on the field leadership, and in game intangibles, i'll agree with you there, he's excellent. When on the field he's a good leader and somebody his team rallies around.

Obviuosly he's an amazing athlete, has really good football intelligence and is a great playmaker but I dont think he really throws the ball that well. He's about average in that regard, imo. There are many college QB's who throw the ball better then he does.

Even with those negatives i'd definatly spend a top 5 pick on him, and possibly the number 1 overall pick in most drafts (not with Clowney on the board though) just on playmaking ability and potential alone. I don't think he's anything close to a sure thing NFL star though. He still has a lot to work on and a lot of growing up to do, imo. But the athletecism and ability are definatly there if he focuses on his craft and makes himself better.

Give me Russell Wilsons work ethic and throwing ability with Manziel's crazy athletecism and feel for the game and i'd give you the most dominant QB in history. I just havnt seen anything that tells me Manziel has that maniacal desire to improve like Russell does.

I know i'll be called a homer and know most won't agree wtih me but I'm still fairly confident that Marcus Mariota will have a better professional career then Manziel simply because he throws the ball better and is much more polished in the passing game which is more important in the NFL then in the NCAA.

Manziel would be my #1 Qb this year by a land slide. But I'd take Luck, Wilson and Griffin over Manziel for sure. Maybe even Bridgewater next year, but I havnt watched enough of him to know for sure.

Latest posts