NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdiags

Reaction score
From ESPN's article on the meeting

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9131247/groups-representing-sacramento-seattle-vie-nba-kings

Last week, lawmakers in Sacramento passed a term sheet promising $258 million of a $448 million arena project set for downtown. They are hoping to get the building open by 2015, though all timelines are loose and adding to the complex nature of the decision

They have an agreement with city and county officials to build a $490 million arena in downtown Seattle to be open in 2017. The team would play in KeyArena for the next two-plus seasons until the new building was done. The Hansen group is putting in $290 million of its own money, not including $50 million already spent to buy real estate near the Seattle Mariners' Safeco Field.

The author Brian Windhorst may have lifted these dates from this Aaron Bruski fellow, not sure? So unless one is well versed on the subject as some are here, it isn't difficult to get lost in the propaganda. Makes for good drama but these guys are dragging their feet on this one.

That 2017 date didn't jive with what I thought I originally heard with this. If the team is purchased, the commitment to build is activated and I thought the team would only play in Key Arena the next 2 seasons, which meant to me 2016 but maybe things have changed since the last time I paid attention?

pinksheets

Reaction score
The Seattle target date is 2015-2016 with a possibility it could slip to the 2016-2017 season.

Sacramento still hasn't:

1. Approved a deal like ours with actual financing, etc. and that begins an environmental review
2. Obviously, gone through environmental review and dealt with any lawsuits
3. Even purchased all of the property needed

Then there will be a ton of demolition required before they can even break ground. I think 2016-2017 (our late projection) is as early as Sacramento can get this done. That article is definitely parroting Bruski, and I think that's Bruski's intent: flood the conversation with talk of how quickly Sacramento's arena will go up with bs about how long it'll take Seattle.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Can't recall if this has been posted before, but I was just reading through it a bit more thoroughly so I thought I'd put it up:

http://eyeonsacramento.com/2013/03/an-e ... -proposal/

I don't know much about the group's leanings, perhaps they are diehard anti-arena, but just on its own merit, their report is intriguing. If you're interested, focus especially on sections VI and VII, in which the report takes apart and/or asks questions about the financing plan and the general fund backfill for Sacramento. The problem with the term sheet is it essentially has no details and is largely based off projections that aren't sourced or explained. Most of the money is just money shuffled around from other sources, not new revenue, and it all leads back to the city's general fund being on the hook in the event of a default. How likely is a default? Well even the Sacramento projections on the interest rates are relatively quite high, which is normally the case for high risk debt. I highly recommend reading the whole report, especially those two sections, if you're having doubts.

Now the question is: how much is this the NBA's problem? Perhaps none at all. I doubt the NBA is greatly concerned with the long term health of the city of Sacramento, but on the other hand, they also might not want to have Sacramento's story end up a cautionary tale about entering into large public partnerships with the NBA, in the event of a default disaster. Then again, maybe the NBA doesn't care.

The bigger side of things, to me, is how do you get this into the form of an actual piece of binding legislation? Will the Sacramento city council just roll with the current projections, or will more work need to be done? Keep in mind, this is not the equivalent of our MOU, where the financing has been worked out and agreed to, the Sacramento city council essentially just endorsed a non-binding letter of intent, stating that they like the terms and projections in this document and would likely move forward. I'm not sure if the council would push back, they seem to be more concerned with the political fallout of keeping the Kings than anything else, but an actual financing agreement is going to have to have a lot more detail and legitimate terms to move forward. The fact of the matter is, the vague responses that the general fund would likely be protected or that the city isn't really on the hook, ie all the BS, won't hold up nearly as well. The bonds won't be issued without guarantees, the people with the real money financing these bonds are going to want to see hard numbers, not rosy projections. There is so much left to be hashed out on Sacramento's side that their only hope is to commit to essentially not doing any due diligence and just taking the City Manager and investors' word for it.

And why bother if the Seattle deal is nixed? What pressure is on the Sacramento city council to rush this thing through if the NBA removes the threat of an impending sale and move? It would be in the best service to their city, realizing that they were no longer under the gun, to make sure this deal really pencils out. The NBA will be deciding the fate of the Kings before their city council gets into the nitty gritty, so who is to say really how long the next leg of the race for them will take? They won't be under any more time constraints so more scrutiny is inevitable, even by a seemingly eager city council.

I don't want to take the position of sports complexes being awful for an economy. I don't buy into that wholesale. They certainly spark development in their surrounding area, etc., whether or not that diverts from spending elsewhere, I'm not positive. The problem here is that Sacramento's proposal has a bizarrely complex Rube Goldberg financing machine that serves to obscure where the money is really coming from all in the name of supposedly revitalizing a downtrodden economy via a new sports building. Their central piece for economic development is a basketball arena with zero chance of even adding a secod professional team beyond the WNBA. It's not going to happen, which is why I always end up bringing the Simpsons "Monorail" episode. Tons of lofty promises that don't hold up to any kind of scrutiny being readily consumed by people desperate to get the wheels turning. I'm not going to tell Sacramento what's best for their city, because frankly, I don't give a damn, but all of these aspects are relevant, as they are the biggest impediments to a competing plan.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Warning for Blitzer, KJ's punk ass is having a press conference tomorrow, DON'T TRIP!

chris98251

Reaction score
This is turning into what KJ did as a player, whine, play on the edge of dirty at times and run his mouth at the drop of a hat blaming everything and everyone else but never taking reponsibility for his part in anything thats going on.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 3m
There have been whispers on this all day… RT @dakasler: We're told Burkle won't be part of #NBAKings ownership - focus instead on arena only

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 20m
RT @dakasler: Updated: Burkle shift on #NBAKings eases concerns over conflict of interest http://sacb.ee/XowwLU

pinksheets

Reaction score
Nothing. He supposedly is going to be involved in investments in the areas around the arena, but he is now irrelevant to this deal. He cannot be involved on either side for Sacramento. That's a huge chunk of cash that just left the picture.

pinksheets

Reaction score
When Sacramento fans play this off as no big deal, that Burkle is not that important....

ask them or just yourself this...

who is KJ on the phone with celebrating an agreement on the arena?

johnson_kevin_celebrates.jpg

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 7m
KJ says Burkle can't be a part of equity on team OR arena. #NBAKings

Throwdown

Reaction score
pinksheets":30mddvqh said:
When Sacramento fans play this off as no big deal, that Burkle is not that important....

ask them or just yourself this...

who is KJ on the phone with celebrating an agreement on the arena?

johnson_kevin_celebrates.jpg

Totally misconstrued, he's excited for the pizza he just ordered.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I don't know the impact of this news, but anytime you lose a billionaire investor...that can NOT be a good thing.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1iqb0qed said:
I don't know the impact of this news, but anytime you lose a billionaire investor...that can NOT be a good thing.

Well supposedly those on Sac-town radio/Sac-Town Royalty are playing it off as no big deal and actually good for the Sac group because now the Maloofs will be more willing to sell to KJ's group if the Seattle bid is denied.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Blitzer88":qmjacvr8 said:
-The Glove-":qmjacvr8 said:

Well supposedly those on Sac-town radio/Sac-Town Royalty are playing it off as no big deal and actually good for the Sac group because now the Maloofs will be more willing to sell to KJ's group if the Seattle bid is denied.
Uh huh. I'm sure that aspect of it is worth more than the large sum of money Burkle was going to contribute that now needs to be made up by the lesser investors.

Again, if he's so unimportant, why is KJ on the phone "closing the deal" with him in that pic? Whose people were on point negotiating the arena deal? Are Vivek and Mastrov fine with the same arena deal? The Sac side of things continues to look like the rushed, disorganized, ill-prepared mess it always has been.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Welp........

Napier on now 1140
“three sources tell me this is a GOOD thing”…“NBA orchestrating this”…“the NBA is 100% on board with what is going on in Sacramento.”

pinksheets

Reaction score
Don't be a pussy.

KJ has been using the Sacramento media as shills the whole time. Their sources have always appeared to be people close to KJ's circle. Their "leaks" are strategic PR moves, not legitimate news.

Status
Not open for further replies.