Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutz

Reaction score
Pete's all about having a strong secondary. You know he won't add a player that would weaken that. It sounds like the guy could still compete and produce.

Perfect guy for JS&PC.

camdawg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":39c0rcfo said:
Alright. Since calling him our 2nd best cover cb is so asinine then there must be an obvious answer who is better. If not Thurmond who is our 2nd best cover man? Don't tell me Browner. Browner's a very good CB, much better all around then Thurmond. But its due to his physicality and beastlyness. Not due to his coverage ability.

J, you really think Thurmond is better in coverage than Browner? Was it Thurmond's zero career INT's that made you feel this way, or his two passes defensed in the last 16 games he's played in? :p

Stats source:http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13473/walter-thurmond

I'm happy Thurmond is on the team, I still think he has a lot of potential. But Winfield could really help us.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
camdawg":1v5fil45 said:
JSeahawks":1v5fil45 said:
Alright. Since calling him our 2nd best cover cb is so asinine then there must be an obvious answer who is better. If not Thurmond who is our 2nd best cover man? Don't tell me Browner. Browner's a very good CB, much better all around then Thurmond. But its due to his physicality and beastlyness. Not due to his coverage ability.

J, you really think Thurmond is better in coverage than Browner? Was it Thurmond's zero career INT's that made you feel this way, or his two passes defensed in the last 16 games he's played in? :p

I'm happy Thurmond is on the team, I still think he has a lot of potential. But Winfield could really help us.

If you're covering your opponent so well that the QB is not likely to throw his way then you're not likely to get many passes defensed or interceptions.

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, Browner was behind Thurmond on the depth chart before TIII got hurt.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
I hope this is more than a rumor. Winfield would be a great addition if he works out.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
In a passing league, got to have a great secondary.

I would be on board with Winfield back there, could be a move like when the Saints got Sharper for their Superbowl season. Slot corner, can play outside in an emergency, maybe even allow earl to move around more in some packages or Kam to play pass-rusher more.

warden

Reaction score
With strong run support from both Bam Bam and Winfield, I see a lot of nickle packages in our base defense.

Now just draft a big body DT with our 2nd round pick

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Winfield would be an instant upgrade and the best possibly option IMO. the dude makes 100 tackles a year and didnt give a touchdown during the 2012 season .

For those wondering why Walter Thurmond , should just stop there because he just got hurt again.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Our 2 biggest killers last year were the slot corner's inability to cover and tackle (Winfield would be a plus here as he is one of the best tacklers there is), and our late season struggles against the run, something else Antoine is good at stopping.

Put him in Trufant's spot and limit his playing time throughout the season so that he can be a run-stopping monster late in the season when our defense struggles (if it does).

Antoine Winfield can be our Lawyer Milloy, elderly statesman that can still play at a high level but whose technique can rub off on the younger guys that are slated to replace him in 2014.

warden

Reaction score
We also have to remember the further pusification of our game. New rules make it harder for the RB to lower his head and gain the couple of extra yards. This is becoming a pass only league.

Teqneek

Reaction score
JSeahawks":14ej0k9v said:
camdawg":14ej0k9v said:
JSeahawks":14ej0k9v said:

If you're covering your opponent so well that the QB is not likely to throw his way then you're not likely to get many passes defensed or interceptions.

Now you are grasping at straws J :p You're telling me, that Thurmond is so good, they would rather throw to Shermans or ETS coverage instead?

themunn

Reaction score
sutz":p12au6kf said:

Nope, Browner and Trufant were the starters until Trufant got hurt, Thurmond came in and got hurt, Sherman came in and the rest is history

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson would you please pick the white courtesy phone for a conference call from Seattle?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
themunn":aqg9wvu6 said:
sutz":aqg9wvu6 said:

Nope, Browner and Trufant were the starters until Trufant got hurt, Thurmond came in and got hurt, Sherman came in and the rest is history

Can easily explain that by pointing out PC sometimes playing veterans while prepping rookies. It doesn't mean that Browner's coverage skills are superior to Thurmond's, because they're just not. Browner has his role, but he got burned all the time in ways that Thurmond, even in limited playing time, showed strength against.

Subzero717

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3s3i52h6 said:
themunn":3s3i52h6 said:
sutz":3s3i52h6 said:

Can easily explain that by pointing out PC sometimes playing veterans while prepping rookies. It doesn't mean that Browner's coverage skills are superior to Thurmond's, because they're just not. Browner has his role, but he got burned all the time in ways that Thurmond, even in limited playing time, showed strength against.

Can't compare the two. Browner played waaay more snaps. Better comp. Etc. I take Browner every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
camdawg":1rp5tr02 said:
JSeahawks":1rp5tr02 said:

Thurmond is clearly better than Browner in coverage. Of course stats aren't going to show it, but when he's on the field his skills definitely show.

themunn

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3nqk52vh said:
themunn":3nqk52vh said:
sutz":3nqk52vh said:

Yes... but that still means Browner was ahead on the depth chart. Maybe they anticipated Thurmond beating him out eventually, but Carroll would never play a veteran over a rookie (or 2nd year player) he thought was better.
And it's not like he had Browner splitting time - he played every snap.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3c2sxagu said:
Between him and Sherman I think the Seahawks could be something epic. I'd pay the guy what he's worth, which is more, IMO, than people on here seem to think.

Yep, You get what you pay for.
I was so sick of our breakdowns against the run plays, the second half of last Season.
Maybe, just maybe our returning DC has asked for a flier-look-see on Winfield, and maybe feels that his kind of instincts can't be taught.
I see no reason why we shouldn't try him for a 1 year, or maybe even 2, and don't try'n cheap him away to the 9rs, Rams, or Cards.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":23lwwdj1 said:
themunn":23lwwdj1 said:
sutz":23lwwdj1 said:

You have to admit, Browner's role is pretty unique in the NFL. It amazes me that the officials largely turn a blind eye to his physical play. The fact that you can say a guy his size even possesses above average coverage skills is pretty amazing by itself, but the guy straight up demoralizes whoever is unfortunate enough to line up across from him. Even if Thurmond is the better "on paper" cornerback, Browner's size has proven to be to his benefit in terms of health. His playstyle is more fun to watch, too. I generally find him even more entertaining to watch than Richard Sherman, to be honest, and I love me some Sherm.

I sorta liken Browner to the enforcers of the old NHL, except he is an above average player at his given position. For me, the fact he strikes terror in his opponents is still the main attraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts