NaVorro Bowman on Seahawks: You have to earn hype

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Shinigami wrote:He actually praised the Seahawks he sounds like a reasonable guy and most of what he said makes sense. Chill out people and take a compliment from a heated rival.

He left the door open for some of the crap that's leaking in here dude, by his answer to the question are the Seahawks right up there with the 49rs, his reply, I DON'T JUDGE, all I know, is that the 49rs all work hard every day, Like dude!, you aren't the only player/s that are busting their asses to compete, and get better. :141847_bnono:
    How hard would it for him to say YES, this is a great competition that's transpired in the NFC WEST, and the Seahawks are off the front porch and running with the big dogs now.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• NinerLifer wrote:
    Shinigami wrote:He actually praised the Seahawks he sounds like a reasonable guy and most of what he said makes sense. Chill out people and take a compliment from a heated rival.

Exactly.

I don't understand why you guys are getting bent out of shape about this.

I could see it as being looked at both ways, but consider that some of us around here are passionate about this rivalry and reading it as disrespect is to be expected ...

I don't so much see it as a "compliment" as I do a little jab from an opposing player. I mean he's not an impartial analyst or something of that sort ...

He's calling us out and being nice about it, IMO :D
    I reject your reality and substitute my own
    HawkHouse
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• The Rams were taunted by the 9ers prior to them turning it around. The Rams taunted the Seahawks prior to them making their Superbowl run. The Cardinals were catching flack from the Seahawks and 9ers prior to their run as division champs. The Cardinals and 9ers players went at each other as they realized they were the 2 most physically talented teams in the NFCW. The season of sub-500 occurred and since then the 9ers have been the class of the division.

Now the Seahawks have talent throughout their line-up and until the Rams and Cardinals prove their offenses are up to snuff, it appears the 9ers and Seahawks are top dogs of the division. Until the Seahawks win the division again, the Superbowl hype is just the media ramping up for the oncoming season.

The NFC has some very talented teams. It will be very interesting to see how the team gels this upcoming season. Bowman can only talk about the atmosphere he has seen since being in the league. And during his time in the league the 9ers have been judged a better team than Seattle. The media hype for the Seahawks is new to him as well.

I know that Dockett would like to have a chance to tell both teams to kiss his butt. Now that is a guy who doesn't mind mixing it up through social media.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I don't care about the Niners.

They gotta prove it to us. So far, they haven't done squat. Last time I saw San Fran play, they got the holy living hell beat out of em. It wasn't even fun after the second quarter, wasn't even a game.

Hey Navarro, your team sucks dude. Tell ya what. Why don't you save the smack talk until YOU earn something? I mean, you come up here and get beat down in such humiliating fashion that Seattle fans were leaving the game early. Didn't even look like an NFL team out there. Why don't you give us a bunch of excuses why you sucked so bad, like all your fans were doing after the game? Tell us why you lost the SuperBowl? Give us some more excuses. You wanna talk about earning something, but your team hasn't earned a damn thing yet. Your'e right there with the Seahawks, but you try to sound like you're bigger than us by talking about earning stuff. Why don't you earn a win against us and THEN talk some smack?

49ers are so weak, even San Francisco doesn't root for you yet. I spend half my time in the Bay, and all I see there is Giants gear. Nobody in San Fran cares about the 49ers. They're all baseball fans. And you know why? Because the 49ers haven't done a goddam thing since the 1980's and nobody in San Francisco cares about a loser.

So frankly, next time I hear a 49er fan or player talking smack, why don't you take that smack talk, go back to the Bay and gain a few fans first? You don't even have a fanbase yet. The Seahawks were selling out Husky Stadium when they went 2-14. When I went to Candlestick in October, half the stadium was empty because everyone in San Francisco was rooting on the Giants in the baseball playoffs.

Total wanker fanbase and total wanker team. I really don't even understand why these lame idiots get taken seriously by Seahawk fans. San Francisco doesn't even have football fans. The only real football fans in that part of California root for the Raiders. And that is really pathetic.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:
    Shinigami wrote:
    A whole bunch of things could have happened. You're using that one great game we had against them as proof we were better?

Yeah , a whole bunch of things COULD have happened, but didn't. That's what happens in football.
    What if Pete gets that timeout called before the Rams snap the ball for the fake FG
    What if Doug Baldwin holds on to the ball in the endzone instead of getting blasted in Arizona
    What if we stop Detroit on 3rd and 10 with 40 seconds left instead of giving away an 11 yard pass?
    What if Robert Turbin holds on to what would have been a sure TD in the first quarter at SF?
    What if the refs don't call that absolutely ludicrous pass interference on ET in Miami and we get to keep the interception instead of giving away a 15 yard penalty on a crucial 3rd down?

With five "what ifs" we could have been 16-0 but football is a game of what ifs.

With just ONE "what if" we could have been superbowl champions - what if Pete Carroll hadn't "iced" the Falcons kicker in the final seconds of the Atlanta game. We'd have been in the NFC Championship game against a team we throttled just 4 weeks previously

And "if" a dog had a square a$$, he could $hit bricks. The thing to remember is that none of those things DID happen. In the end they were a 1/2 game ahead of us and they did go to the SB. We'll get our turn, and when we do, I bet we don't have a whole lot of patience for 49ers who play the "if" game.
    canfan
    NET Rookie

• HansGruber wrote:I don't care about the Niners.

They gotta prove it to us. So far, they haven't done squat. Last time I saw San Fran play, they got the holy living hell beat out of em. It wasn't even fun after the second quarter, wasn't even a game.

Hey Navarro, your team sucks dude. Tell ya what. Why don't you save the smack talk until YOU earn something? I mean, you come up here and get beat down in such humiliating fashion that Seattle fans were leaving the game early. Didn't even look like an NFL team out there. Why don't you give us a bunch of excuses why you sucked so bad, like all your fans were doing after the game? Tell us why you lost the SuperBowl? Give us some more excuses. You wanna talk about earning something, but your team hasn't earned a damn thing yet. Your'e right there with the Seahawks, but you try to sound like you're bigger than us by talking about earning stuff. Why don't you earn a win against us and THEN talk some smack?

49ers are so weak, even San Francisco doesn't root for you yet. I spend half my time in the Bay, and all I see there is Giants gear. Nobody in San Fran cares about the 49ers. They're all baseball fans. And you know why? Because the 49ers haven't done a goddam thing since the 1980's and nobody in San Francisco cares about a loser.

So frankly, next time I hear a 49er fan or player talking smack, why don't you take that smack talk, go back to the Bay and gain a few fans first? You don't even have a fanbase yet. The Seahawks were selling out Husky Stadium when they went 2-14. When I went to Candlestick in October, half the stadium was empty because everyone in San Francisco was rooting on the Giants in the baseball playoffs.

Total wanker fanbase and total wanker team. I really don't even understand why these lame idiots get taken seriously by Seahawk fans. San Francisco doesn't even have football fans. The only real football fans in that part of California root for the Raiders. And that is really pathetic.

*deskpalm* Posts like this are why the Niners see us as douches, come on bro do you watch football? The Niners are alot of things but they do not suck. You don't have to love em but don't make yourself look like an ass saying quite frankly idiotic comments that don't make a lick of sense. THEY are division champs atm, forget the NFC forget the Superbowl, they hold the West atm, meaning we are playing catch up to them, you and others may not like it but that's how it is. Yes I know half a game only having the playbook opened late in the year 42-13 etc etc but as far as I can see none of that matters, because last time I checked (http://www.nfl.com/standings) we finished second in the West. I love the Hawks and I don't for a second think we will be second come the end of this season, but that's no reason to throw logic and common sense down the toilet.
    Additionally, he did not talk anything resembling smack, read the article.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber, as smack talk goes, that was quite poetic. Brought a smile to my face :)
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

• HawksSoc, thank you for a sane response to HansGruber smack. HansGruber-style smack is why the majority of other fans around the country, not just Niner fans, think we're a bunch of idiots.

Please get a hold of yourselves. For one thing, that Niner linebacker acknowledged that the Hawks are a tough team and acknowledged that the Hawks kicked their asses. But HawksSoc and Navarro Bowman are right - the Niners won the NFC West. The Niners won the NFC Conference. Our Hawks didn't. So, if you're going to rush to your keyboard and say the Niners suck, what does that say about the team that came in second to the Niners? I don't care if it brings a smile to anyone's face. It makes me shake my head and wonder what kind of fan looks at a franchise with a history like the Niners and says they suck as a franchise. What the hell are you talking about? I wish the Hawks had at least a couple championships. I'm hoping they get them in the next five years. But, if you go into the next couple of years thinking the Niners are finished or that the Seahawks have their number and the Niners are pushovers, you're living in a dream world.
    BBHawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• Well one thing in reading all the posts is GOD I can not wait until the season starts. Good luck to both teams, and both fan bases.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• LOL. I was posting last night after drinking nearly half a fifth of tequila. What started out as a "tasting" adventure quickly devolved into a night of debauchery, and it is SUPER hilarious to me that I ended up stumbling into my house, plunking down on the couch, writing a bunch of semi-coherent smack posts about the Niners, and stumbling off to bed.

Honestly though, not sure how I could hate the Niners that much. It's true that they don't even have any fans in their own town.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• Don't sweat it Hans, we call those "moments of clarity". You can always trust Tequila to help you find them.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Guess I read that differently than some. If anything, I thought he was giving some respect talking about how the NFCW brings it.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• NinerLifer wrote:
    Shinigami wrote:He actually praised the Seahawks he sounds like a reasonable guy and most of what he said makes sense. Chill out people and take a compliment from a heated rival.

Exactly.

I don't understand why you guys are getting bent out of shape about this.

I know I'm not. Bowman did a good job of commentary. Outstanding player and like the attitude. Fits in very well to what I consider the most talented group of LB'ers in the league. They make that defense work regardless of what the line is doing. When you see the Niners defense giving up plays, it isn't usually any fault of that group.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Sheesh, page after page about an interview where Bowman was giving us props, but so many are locking onto a quote taken out of context.

I agree with everything he said. You have to prove it again every season. What we did in the second half of last season doesn't mean squat unless we follow through. Win the division then we start talking.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• I only find the comment intersting, because he talks as if the 49ers are some elite squad that's been around for a half decade. IN reality, the 49ers are new to the party of "consistent contenders" With JUST 2 good year under their belt, they talk as if they've been doing it for years.

That's why it's laughable to me. The Seahawks have to earn the respect? Pretty sure Since PC has come here the Seahawks have 2 playoffs appearances and 1 division title. That's pretty darn good. All the while rebuilding an aging and talent depleted franchise

Since 2003 (last 10 seasons) 85-75 (overall record) Seattle has 6 winning seasons, 7 playoff appearances, 5 division championships and 1 conference championship.
    2008, 2009 were our down years of the decade. Pretty consistent and successful decade the last 10 years has been.

So SF-- since 2003 (last 10 seasons) 70-89-1 (overall record)-- They have 2 winning seasons with 2 division titles and 1 conference championship.

Both franchises appear to be built for long-term success. It should be fun to see to see how it all plays out. This rivilry kind has the potential to be similar to the 49ers vs Cowboys in the 90's, Or if the 2 QB's develop like we all hope, it could turn into something similar to what the PATS and COLTS had this last decade-- though being in the same division really raises the bar on the drama.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Someone should let Bowman know how average their defense suddenly looks when Justin Smith is off the field if he wants to talk about "earning hype".
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Today on NFL Network they were posing the question "if we sign Antoine Winfield do we overtake SF in the NFC west". They said they believe we have already won the offseason over SF but they wouldn't say that we are better then them. It is almost like most of the analysts completely disregard the fact that when we were at our best and SF at their best we completely destroyed them. Yes, they beat us early in the season 13-6, them with Smith and we were still getting our sea legs. But with 2 weeks left in the year SF and SEA trying to win the west we destroyed them 42-13, with them scoring a TD against our backups.

Just because they went to the superbowl says nothing about SF or SEA and the NFC West. We are a more complete team and with our additions this year have left them in the dust.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

• Schadie001 wrote:Today on NFL Network they were posing the question "if we sign Antoine Winfield do we overtake SF in the NFC west". They said they believe we have already won the offseason over SF but they wouldn't say that we are better then them. It is almost like most of the analysts completely disregard the fact that when we were at our best and SF at their best we completely destroyed them. Yes, they beat us early in the season 13-6, them with Smith and we were still getting our sea legs. But with 2 weeks left in the year SF and SEA trying to win the west we destroyed them 42-13, with them scoring a TD against our backups.

Just because they went to the superbowl says nothing about SF or SEA and the NFC West. We are a more complete team and with our additions this year have left them in the dust.

Dream team, AMIRITE?

It's not even possible that a team like the Rams could possibly compete with the mighty Seahawks!
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

• ug. still pisses me off we didn't get to play them in the NFC championship game..that would have been an epic game.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• QuickLightning wrote:Dream team, AMIRITE?

It's not even possible that a team like the Rams could possibly compete with the mighty Seahawks!

Well, they probably can't count on having a fake field goal TD and two 60 yard field goals happen in the same game again. 8)
    camdawg
    NET Rookie

• Hype is for teams like Dallas.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• I don't get hyped up about this. NO pun intended. What he said is pretty true; we have a team that thrives on being underdogs and plays with a chip on their shoulder. We've all wondered the same thing: what happens when there's no chip ? How will they manufacture disrespect ? How will they play when they're expected to win, and not being "dissed" ?

Also, the whole "they only won the division by 1/2 a game" argument really makes us look like sore losers. The other side of that argument is that "1/2 a game" was in Detroit, Miami, Arizona, and St. Louis....all to losing teams, and we didn't take care of that business. Also, I agree that the pasting we gave them up here showed our team trending upwards, but that also gives the Niners a large amount of motivation at their house next year.

It's going to be decided on the field next year, and no amount of talking will change it.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• I'm not really seeing any hype. Actually if there is any hype IMO it would be about the Niners. Every year you have to prove you are as good as your roster looks on paper. Right now the Niners need to prove they can replace their NT, Safety TE/HB and Kaep can get the ball to Boldin. There seems to be an automatic assumption that all those are just gonna work out. That is hype IMO. Seems it should be reasonable to question how they will make all those moves seemlessly while keeping Justin Smith healthy at 34 and Gore at 30.

So far the question has been repeatedly asked if we have caught or over taken them. I haven't seen or heard any media hyping us as super bowl favorites, even most fans are realistic for the most part. Sure some believe we are set up to make a run but why wouldn't you? It's not like we backed into the playoffs or even that this team was bad before Wilson arrived. 7-9 with Jackson was a reflection of how bad we needed to improve QB play (more than anything else) not a reflection of a bad team. Look at the games we won in 2011. Most should be credited to the defense and running game. It was pretty obvious in 2011 we had a very good team just needing a QB that could benefit the team rather than just plodding along.

Keep in mind if you believe Jackson was a decent QB then maybe you should feel we need to prove last year wasn't a fluke but to me with all the improvements we made from 2010 to 2011 there was no excuse (espeacially with an easier schedule or how many back up QB's we ended up facing) for ending up with the same record. This team has shown significant growth year over year and with better QB play we would have seen that reflected in the win total.

I don't see any reason for us to not make another significant step forward and thats not hype, that is based on the growth year over year and the additions we made so far this year.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Bowman is absolutely correct and said nothing disrespectful
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Shaz wrote:Bowman is absolutely correct and said nothing disrespectful

Exactly. No winning happens in March. He gave us plenty respect, but still repped his team in a subtle manner. Very professional.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• ''You have to earn hype''? What?

No, you have to earn respect, earn wins, earn championships.

Hype is just hype. With nothing backing it up, just talk, it's hype. How do you earn it? Doesn't make sense to me.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I think that one thing you have to keep in mind is that Bowman is on that team's defense. Yes, they've only had a couple good years, but their defense has been good for four or five years now. So, that's his perspective. I thought he was pretty respectful and basically what he's saying is that the NFC West is a tough division, which is the truth.

Actually, I think there is a lot more respect for the Seahawks down there than people around here realize. The last time I was down there, my uncle was complaining about how so many of his Niner buddies keep telling him the Hawks are going to knock the Niners off this year. And, my brother tells me that most of the Niner fans on the chat board he visits think the teams are totally equal right now.
    BBHawks
    NET Bench Warmer

• i don't see the problem here, he said what he's suppose to say.. you have to earn respect, and as far as us drawing even with them, he basically dodged the question and said, won't speak on them, all i know is the 49ers are working to be the best everyday.... don't know what else he's suppose to say... ya you're right man , they're better than us now?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• I don't see how anyone can not think these 2 teams are equal

They are built almost exactly the same from the Front Office and down (Give or take a few things here or there)

This is what makes a truly great Rivalry (Steelers/Ravens come to mind)
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• F him and all things Niner.

He doesn't matter.
    42-13 bish
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• First him and then Roddy White, I can smell the fear even in Kansas City and it is sweet.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• KCHawkGirl wrote:First him and then Roddy White, I can smell the fear even in Kansas City and it is sweet.

Amen sister!
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• BBHawks wrote:HawksSoc, thank you for a sane response to HansGruber smack. HansGruber-style smack is why the majority of other fans around the country, not just Niner fans, think we're a bunch of idiots.

Please get a hold of yourselves. For one thing, that Niner linebacker acknowledged that the Hawks are a tough team and acknowledged that the Hawks kicked their asses. But HawksSoc and Navarro Bowman are right - the Niners won the NFC West. The Niners won the NFC Conference. Our Hawks didn't. So, if you're going to rush to your keyboard and say the Niners suck, what does that say about the team that came in second to the Niners? I don't care if it brings a smile to anyone's face. It makes me shake my head and wonder what kind of fan looks at a franchise with a history like the Niners and says they suck as a franchise. What the hell are you talking about? I wish the Hawks had at least a couple championships. I'm hoping they get them in the next five years. But, if you go into the next couple of years thinking the Niners are finished or that the Seahawks have their number and the Niners are pushovers, you're living in a dream world.

You put too much stock in what other fanbases think. I was like you until XL* happened.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• If Seattle needs to earn their hype, San Francisco needs to earn their hype as well.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Getting blown out is just another day... What are you? A closet Bills fan?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Rude144 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:42-13

Tired of seahawk fans using that 42-13 regular season ,didnt the 9ers win the last 4?, ths is what i think of that game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lhOUyy4wbs

Sure, I mean if you can BASK in it! :th2thumbs:

HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Rude144 wrote:

Tired of seahawk fans using that 42-13 regular season ,didnt the 9ers win the last 4?, ths is what i think of that game:

Do you think some around here might be a little tired of hearing the "5 rings"?

Well what's more relevant, a game you can pull off your DVR or games you have to go to the History channel to see?

You make sure you get your "last 4" quote in there which is also in no way relevant. Did the 9ers turn over their entire roster during that stretch? Is it more relevant to beat Tavarus Jackson or Russell Wilson? Because again in the current era, 1-1 against Wilson and your current QB is 0-1.

If you don't like hearing about the last time we played then I recommend you don't reference things that have zero bearing on the current teams.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• RichNhansom wrote:
    Rude144 wrote:

Do you think some around here might be a little tired of hearing the "5 rings"?

Well what's more relevant, a game you can pull off your DVR or games you have to go to the History channel to see?

You make sure you get your "last 4" quote in there which is also in no way relevant. Did the 9ers turn over their entire roster during that stretch? Is it more relevant to beat Tavarus Jackson or Russell Wilson? Because again in the current era, 1-1 against Wilson and your current QB is 0-1.

If you don't like hearing about the last time we played then I recommend you don't reference things that have zero bearing on the current teams.

good point. The only reason the last outing is pointed out is because it's the last reference point between the 2 teams. It is the MOST RELAVANT, because it was most recent. It probably wouldn't be cited if say it was a 21-17 game. Instead it was complete domination from the Seahawks perspective. You can't just shove aside that evidence.

Also for as much as the national media wants to say SF is a great team. The fact is in 3 of your 4 losses last year. SF was beat handily. Minn- lost by 11, NYG- lost by 23, SEA- Lost by 29. That to me doesn't indicate a dominant team. Meanwhile Seattle's worse lost was by 7 points to the 49ers.

The point is using only last year as a point of reference the Seahawks were the more consistent team last year.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• seattle beat the team the played in the superbowl by 29.... don't want to hear the injury excuses, we had some too...don't want to hear the jet lag excuses, we went to your house on a short week and lost by 7 in a game we could have/should have won had our guys been able to catch a cold...

that game in Seattle is the true measuring stick when comparting our teams and i think that's what stings you guys so much.. our current roster, spanked your current roster and golden boy QB.... and now your DB core is weaker than it was last season, while our recieving core is much more dangerous.. our defensive backfield is much stronger than last , while your team improved slightly in the recieving core......not looking good for the niners.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Rude144 wrote:

Exactly

Especially since we won quite a few games and an NFC Championship trophy AFTER that game by beating the same team in the same place that Seattle couldn't beat the week before.

I would say that is pretty relevant.
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:seattle beat the team the played in the superbowl by 29.... don't want to hear the injury excuses, we had some too...don't want to hear the jet lag excuses, we went to your house on a short week and lost by 7 in a game we could have/should have won had our guys been able to catch a cold...

that game in Seattle is the true measuring stick when comparting our teams and i think that's what stings you guys so much.. our current roster, spanked your current roster and golden boy QB.... and now your DB core is weaker than it was last season, while our recieving core is much more dangerous.. our defensive backfield is much stronger than last , while your team improved slightly in the recieving core......not looking good for the niners.

I think to be a legit playoff and superbowl team, you have to win on the road. Unfortunately the 'Hawks - as much as I think the are a pretty good and tough team - are 3-5 last year (and the year before too) away from C-link field. The superbowl is an away game, in the sense that it's not going to be played at Clink field. It's going to be played outside of it. Hawks, until they win more on the road than at home, will always fall to the team that can win on the road. Just my opinion, of course. I respect the quality of both teams - most likely both will make the playoffs if both teams do well in the upcomming draft.
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• Giedi wrote:
    hawker84 wrote:seattle beat the team the played in the superbowl by 29.... don't want to hear the injury excuses, we had some too...don't want to hear the jet lag excuses, we went to your house on a short week and lost by 7 in a game we could have/should have won had our guys been able to catch a cold...

I think to be a legit playoff and superbowl team, you have to win on the road. Unfortunately the 'Hawks - as much as I think the are a pretty good and tough team - are 3-5 last year (and the year before too) away from C-link field. The superbowl is an away game, in the sense that it's not going to be played at Clink field. It's going to be played outside of it. Hawks, until they win more on the road than at home, will always fall to the team that can win on the road. Just my opinion, of course. I respect the quality of both teams - most likely both will make the playoffs if both teams do well in the upcomming draft.

I think the whole "Seahawks can't win on the road" argument is overblown. It isn't like Seahawks played horribly on the road. In those 5 road losses, Seattle lost by a combined 24 points-- or 4.8 points per game. That's less than a TD a game and 4 of those losses came in the 1st half of the season when Russell Wilson and CO. were still getting their feet under them. Also consider this- of the first 8 games last year 5 of them were on the road. That's not an easy task for any team.

1st half- 2012 1-4 road
    2nd half- 2012 2-1 road

Did Seattle had a hard time closing out games on the road? Sure did. Only 1 of those games did they hold off their opponent. Against Carolina they stopped Cam Newton on downs, then Irvin got the strip sack to end the game. Whereas in the Detroit and Atlanta game (playoffs) the defense laid an egg on what should have been impressive game winning drives for Wilson and co. The Bears game was all the offense as the defense once again surrendered a last second lead, only for Wilson to drive the distance for the game winning TD.

I predict the Seahawks WILL have a winning road record in 2013 and all this "can't will on the road" nonsense will be put to rest.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Put the Atlanta game in perspective also. We took the lead with 31 seconds remaining and our kicker (replacing our starter injured on Fedex field) kicked the ball way short giving Atlanta great field position and then we struggled to hold off the last drive but in part due to the loss of our best DE in Clemons who tore his ACL on Fedex field. Also consider Lynch sprained his ankle on that field the week before.

I think the odds go way up if we don't lose 2.5 key players the week before. Consider if we didn't play at Fedex the week before and were as healthy going into Atlanta as we were going into DC. It looks pretty obvious that they probably wouldn't have even been close.

What if you guys had that same scenario? Do you still think you win? You lost Justin Smith for a half in NE and the game against us and in 6 quarters were outscored by around 70 points.

You barley beat them as you were. You probably don't even come close in similar circumstances.

Not really as good of an example as playing head to head. Like someone else said, we beat Baltimore by 29 but you don't hear us using that as an example. Well until now.

You guys can thank Dan Schneider and Fedex field for not having to play us for the right to go to the super bowl.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Injuries are a part of the game.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• NinerLifer wrote:
    Rude144 wrote:

Exactly

Especially since we won quite a few games and an NFC Championship trophy AFTER that game by beating the same team in the same place that Seattle couldn't beat the week before.

I would say that is pretty relevant.

Once again, you beat ATL by one play, Seattle lost to ATL by one play. Not much difference in the effort required between a W and L. Certainly no more difference than having our leading pass rusher out of the game.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• Giedi wrote:Hawks, until they win more on the road than at home, will always fall to the team that can win on the road. Just my opinion, of course. I respect the quality of both teams - most likely both will make the playoffs if both teams do well in the upcomming draft.

So basically... until the Seahawks have a perfect season they're never going to win the superbowl?

But how can you win more than 100% of the time?
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• BirdsCommaAngry wrote:Injuries are a part of the game.

Of course injuries are part of the game. For example how many times have you heard that Justin Smith was injured in the Seattle game? It doesn't mean it has no bearing, especially if you are comparing common games that either team won or lost.

How many times have you heard a Niner fan point out that they beat the team (Atlanta) that we couldn't? If both teams are healthy and in similar situations, IE same venue, similar health, similar scheduling on and on, then it is a valid point but if you want to dismiss a head to head game and use another game as an example it has to be some what equal circumstance and the Atlanta game has many more variables than the head to head.

Maybe if they were to have blown them out vs our loss, you could make an argument but that is not what happened. In fact the most similar component of both games was how slowly each team started out and then overcame that poor start.

Would you rather have a week off to get healthy, play a home game and then a late east coast game or play back to back east coast games with the second one starting at 10am?

Had they demoralized Atlanta then this conversation would be different but they didn't and the difference in that game wasn't them being better than us it was the difference of schedule, health and Matt Ryan getting injured. That is not a sound argument for we are the better team and the head to head battles mean nothing.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information