Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The perfect veteran addition to our defense. I'd prefer him to Woodson, Urlacher, Freeney, or Abraham as it stands right now. He would be an immediate upgrade at one of our teams biggest weaknesses. This would be an instant impact move and I see no downside here, he'd keep the young DB's in line, make plays and give us more flexability in the draft.

I am for drafting a nickel CB but to get a potential starting nickle CB we'd have to spend a 2nd or 3rd. Wouldn't you rather use that somewhere else?

Could it be that Lane and Maxwell are not meant for the slot? WT3 is soo injury prone that unless he absolutly dominates when he gets on the field his roster spot needs to be considered available.

Let's get Winfield and when we play in the SB against Denver or NE he will match up perfect against Welker or Amendola

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":qcd7btet said:
Thurmond is a duck, J is a duck. FWIW I like III, dude just can't stay on the field though.
I'm a husky and I think Thurmond is an incredible talent, what's your point?

If Thurmond could stay healthy, wow our secondary would be that much more incredible. Thurmond could play either starting CB spot and I believe there wouldn't be a huge drop off in our CB play. The problem is we can't count on him, but that shouldn't take away from his talent. And yes, I'm basing MY OPINION off the small size of Thurmond on the field.

Nateruw

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1bbawm4b said:
Nateruw":1bbawm4b said:
He's so physical against the run that I wonder if they are considering playing him at SS. Maybe Kam is getting cold feet?
That is probably the weirdest first post I have seen on this board.

Welcome to the .NET community, but damn.

Thanks. Just trying to think outside the box. Obviously he is more nickel material and most likely insurance for Thurman. But Kam's contract situation reminds me a little of Clem's last year. Signing Winfield could also add some insurance for a Kam holdout if we are willing to move him around for run support. After all we are trying to extend Kam and with the freed up cap space from Flynn's trade, it seems a little wierd to be bringing in another vet when JS is on record saying we are working on our own guys. Especially when we can front load Kam's deal right now, no?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Hope something comes of this visit, I would love to get him on the cheap!

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":zbqqqbyx said:
JSeahawks":zbqqqbyx said:
NorthDallas40oz":zbqqqbyx said:
You might want to do a little homework before posting things like this, because saying that you prefer two wholly unproven options (incl. one with a major injury history) to the premier nickel/slot corner in the entire NFL is patently absurd. Also, Winfield isn't signing "for the minimum" somewhere "to compete" like he's some form of camp fodder. He's an elite player at what he does, he has a healthy offer on the table from the Redskins to be a starter, the Vikings are trying to get him back, and anyone who wants him is going to have to pony up.

Thank you for the advice. I will be sure and do a minimum of 15 minutes research before sharing my meaningless opinion in each post from this point forward.

I understand he's very good at what he does. I also know that he's 35 and that his coverage skills have already begun to decline rather dramatically although he's still very good against the run. Thurmond is the 2nd best cover corner on the team when healthy and Lane showed me a lot last year as well. I'd much rather have a decade of each of those guys then 1 year of Winfield. (although i'd gladly take all 3 and lose Trufant and Maxwell).

Doesnt surprise me that the REdskins would offer to pay him a lot of money, their owner is one of the biggest idiots in the NFL. If Winfield is their starter on the outside WR's are going to be licking their chops, and fighting to line up across from him.

Dude, Thurmond has proved absolutely nothing. I just dont undersrand the love fest there. He has been serviceable at best when he is actually on the field. 1 year of elite play at one of our primary weak points is a huge gain. If Thurmond and lane are so great have them try and beat out Winfield. Good luck.

Who were the other DBS on he Vikings? Crickets. Now imagine other elite players around Winfield. Good stuff. Lets win now and develop guys like lane. We don't have to push him into a starting role just because. Signing a great player for one year is not going to hinde anyone development.

The nature of Jseahawks' opinion becomes a little clearer when you understand that he's an Oregon U homer, and Walter Thurmond III is an Oregon U alumnus. For the record, I agree with you in that he's yet to truly prove himself for any reasonable length of time. Any player can look awesome when their sample size is about 5 minutes of film.

Atradees

Reaction score
From the descriptions he sounds like a nice addition. I am from Oregon. I think Thurmond has had his chance and Marcus is not a option anymore as a rotational player. If this guy is good vs the run it means he has physical presence but I think Tru was good vs run too. As a fan I want a corner that isn't burned like Toast every third.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Largent80":2mv0sh5h said:
I'm sold. Get it done son.

I'll give you 16 to 1 odds that Winfield is a Seahawk by next week. Book it, literally.

Seriously though, I would be all about this move. When it comes to Minnesota Vikings joining the Seahawks, I trust bestfightstory's knowledge on the matter. If bfs thinks Winfield is the man then HE'S MANN!!! I honestly can't believe Winfield is still as effective as he is. Most corners hit the wall fast when they get old (Madison, Tru, Surtain, the list goes on and on), not this dude. And he hits like a mofo, IMO the perfect fit at Nickel CB and not only that but with Winfield/Lane/the idea of Walter Thurmond III/Maxwell/possible draftee you're almost guaranteed to improve upon Tru's performance in the position last season.

Do work Johnny S!

RyPants

Reaction score
I like it. If he's available at a reasonable price, it just adds depth to one of our areas of strength. I'm comfortable with WTIII and Gay, but Winfield is a more proven commodity, and adds experience as well. It's a no lose proposition IMO.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":150duvxs said:
The nature of Jseahawks' opinion becomes a little clearer when you understand that he's an Oregon U homer, and Walter Thurmond III is an Oregon U alumnus. For the record, I agree with you in that he's yet to truly prove himself for any reasonable length of time. Any player can look awesome when their sample size is about 5 minutes of film.

Ah, I forgot that Jseahawks was all about the O.

I bet the Raiders watched those 5 minutes closely, and are strongly considering sending us 2 future draft picks for him.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2uf9gnui said:

That's fine, and I understand taking what I say about Ducks with a grain of salt, but also please understand that I love the Seahawks 10 x's more then i love my Ducks. I'd be perfectly fine with Seattle never having another Oregon player on their roster as long as they have somebody better. And when I share my opinion on former Duck players its based on how they could help Seattle or not, not based on the fact that they were once Ducks. (For example, I thought Max Unger was never going to be a very good center. I would have been perfectly fine with the Seahawks getting rid of him after his first couple of year. I'm glad to have been wrong on that one.)

For the recorrd, i've been pro signing Winfield from the start. I'm just saying I think Thurmond can beat him out in camp making Winfield our 4th corner, rather than our 3rd.

NYCoug

Reaction score
To borrow a line from my boy Patrice, RIP...

Walter Thurmond Tres is a legend around these parts. And when I say legend I mean a myth... Like the Lochness Monster or Big Foot. We all believe they exist, but who ever really saw it?

HagFaithful

Reaction score
I wanted Winfield in '99 coming out of Ohio State, but no, Holmgren in his fledgling years of playing GM went for "need" and drafted Lamar King, from Nawgunna Playlong St. We selected King with the 22nd pick, the Vikings took Winfield with the 23rd. 14 years later and we have an opportunity to right that wrong.

NYCoug

Reaction score
HagFaithful":1il0expb said:
I wanted Winfield in '99 coming out of Ohio State, but no, Holmgren in his fledgling years of playing GM went for "need" and drafted Lamar King, from Nawgunna Playlong St. We selected King with the 22nd pick, the Vikings took Winfield with the 23rd. 14 years later and we have an opportunity to right that wrong.

Great post dude. Way to bring the knowledge! I hadn't even thought about this! What a truly awful decision.

One day I hope to start a 10 page thread on Lamar King. I wonder what he's up to at this very moment?

nategreat

Reaction score
Oh man, I hope Winfield flies in to Seattle and doesn't want to leave. He would be a great addition. We would go from having a nickel defense that was more of a liability (slot corner, specifically) and all of the sudden it becomes a strength. As has been mentioned, Winfield has arguably been the best slot corner in the league for the past while, and although he is getting up there in age, he would be a solid addition.

Veteran leader that can pack a solid hit, and fits in nicely with the Legion of Boom. I wonder how the acquisition of Percy Harvin will effect Winfield's decision to come to Seattle, if at all.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The Outfield":2m4mvouo said:
Figures it rains its butt off when he visits

According to the reports above he's visiting on Wednesday. Supposed to be fairly nice with just a few showers.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1jsupxra said:
SmokinHawk":1jsupxra said:

That's fine, and I understand taking what I say about Ducks with a grain of salt, but also please understand that I love the Seahawks 10 x's more then i love my Ducks. I'd be perfectly fine with Seattle never having another Oregon player on their roster as long as they have somebody better. And when I share my opinion on former Duck players its based on how they could help Seattle or not, not based on the fact that they were once Ducks. (For example, I thought Max Unger was never going to be a very good center. I would have been perfectly fine with the Seahawks getting rid of him after his first couple of year. I'm glad to have been wrong on that one.)

For the recorrd, i've been pro signing Winfield from the start. I'm just saying I think Thurmond can beat him out in camp making Winfield our 4th corner, rather than our 3rd.

I don't disagree that Thurmond has the ability to beat Winfield in camp, but given he's been in the league for three years and can't stay healthy, is it even worth the risk of giving him priority on the snaps in practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts