Stefan Charles, DT.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
[youtube]rDy-j2DQhQw[/youtube]

Projected 3rd or 4th rounder, same school as Akiem Hicks. Seahawks have met with him.

kearly

Reaction score
Where do you find this stuff? Seriously. Tell me your secrets!

37" vertical at 324 pounds. 6'6". Ranked No. 1 in the Canadian Football League Scouting Bureau's September rankings for the 2013 CFL Draft.

[youtube]pTQ6C6K0QAU[/youtube]

The Seahawks know how to find interesting players.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think I saw a tweet about him working out for the hawks, but I get lots of good stuff from draftdaddy.com's daily draft blog.

What is awesome is every rock I look under, I know Schneider has already been there. The last regime? looking for these fringe players with freak measurables was a waste of time.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Same school as John Ryan as well.

I think he ends up being the guy the Seahawks take at DT. He's the perfect Seahawks "overdraft" type pick in the 2nd round. Most people will scratch their heads and say who?! and people like Kiper will blast the pick but Charles profiles as the perfect replacement for Alan Branch but with potential to be better.

It must be so fun to be a scout for the Seahawks. Seriously, I can imagine getting a call from John Schneider saying "quick, take the next flight to Regina and wait for further instructions. Copy? Over and out." I don't know why John Schneider talks on the phone like he's in a cheesy 80's movie but he does.

kearly

Reaction score
You can put me in the camp that expects anything but remains optimistic that Seattle won't do anything crazy at #56. They've shown an outstanding ability to understand a prospect's actual value in the past. Even their "reach" picks like Irvin, Wagner, Carpenter, and Wilson were not reaches at all because we know in every single one of those instances that other teams have said they would have drafted those players soon after Seattle had the Seahawks gone another direction.

The last time they actually spent a pick in this area of the draft, they drafted Golden Tate- a player they had a 1st round grade on. There will be a lot of 1st round type players that will fall into the late 2nd, I think in particular Kawann Short is a player to keep an eye on.

Another admission- I think the whole "15 players with 1st round grades" refrain that's making the rounds... it's complete bullshit*. Guys like Tyler Eifert, DeAndre Hopkins, Ryan Swope, Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones, Tavon Austin, Jonathan Banks, Cordarrelle Patterson, Menelik Watson, etc are fantastic prospects and they aren't likely on that 1st round grade list. People were saying the same exact nonsense in the 2009 draft- a very similar draft- and yet the picks 13-32 range was outstanding in retrospect (Clay Matthews, Percy Harvin, etc).

In reality, we have a very rare kind of draft this year that is without easily recognizable talent cliffs that you normally see. It is a very smooth and slow decent in talent (and like 2009, the top of the draft is loaded with trap prospects that bad teams will fall for), all the way to the late rounds.

In other words, I feel very confident that Seattle will have several players at #56 that they feel are worth 1st round grades. What little I've seen of Stefan Charles I like, but I doubt they have a 1st round grade on him so I doubt he'll be the pick at #56.

*And teams know it's bullshit too. If there were only 15 players with 1st round grades, then why is there so much added urgency among the top 10 teams to trade down this year? I saw a report recently that said every team in the top 10 wants to trade down right now.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Kip needs to get on Twitter. All the info about every player that works out for Seattle appears on there one way or another.

I get probably 2-3 tweets per month from people telling me to ask Kip if he'll consider Twitter. The people want Kip.

kearly

Reaction score
I dislike twitter. I think for an average person it's highly narcissistic, or at least lends itself to narcissism, and that's a path I wish to avoid. It's almost like a little slice of our own reality TV show- as if people should care about every little thing we think or did that day. For many, twitter is a tool for attention seeking. There are exceptions. Some twitter handles are hilarious, others informative (twitter has been a revelation in sports reporting), and if you are ACTUALLY a celebrity it's nice because it gives average joes like you or me a chance to send a message that they will actually hear.

I hate the twitter format. Twitter's format is unnatural, counter-intuitive, difficult to follow. Most tweets are responses and you always have to click again to read the thing it was responding to, and it takes a lot of work just to follow a very quick exchange that is often intellectual empty calories in the first place.

For all those reasons, I only visit twitter as a last resort (mainly it's paragraph 2 that keeps me away), and the only way I could see myself opening a twitter account would be to social network or to promote my family business or future website.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":5xetzqaf said:
I think I saw a tweet about him working out for the hawks, but I get lots of good stuff from draftdaddy.com's daily draft blog.

What is awesome is every rock I look under, I know Schneider has already been there. The last regime? looking for these fringe players with freak measurables was a waste of time.

Thanks for the info. And I've had the same thought a few times this year regarding JS. When I heard about Bryant and Gardner, I wondered for how long Seattle knew about them. When Bryant mentioned Seattle as the first team he thought of when asked about his contact with NFL teams, I wasn't surprised.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":1vj18m4v said:
I dislike twitter. I think for an average person it's highly narcissistic, or at least lends itself to narcissism, and that's a path I wish to avoid. It's almost like a little slice of our own reality TV show- as if people should care about every little thing we think or did that day. For many, twitter is a tool for attention seeking. There are exceptions. Some twitter handles are hilarious, others informative (twitter has been a revelation in sports reporting), and if you are ACTUALLY a celebrity it's nice because it gives average joes like you or me a chance to send a message that they will actually hear.

I hate the twitter format. Twitter's format is unnatural, counter-intuitive, difficult to follow. Most tweets are responses and you always have to click again to read the thing it was responding to, and it takes a lot of work just to follow a very quick exchange that is often intellectual empty calories in the first place.

For all those reasons, I only visit twitter as a last resort (mainly it's paragraph 2 that keeps me away), and the only way I could see myself opening a twitter account would be to social network or to promote my family business or future website.

That's a very harsh review of Twitter, Kip! I follow 137 journalists on Twitter who don't post what they had breakfast. As a journalist by trade myself it is without doubt the best way to get breaking news out there to my audience.

For me it is the present and future of journalism. It's abused slightly (NFL coaching carousel was hideous), but compelling and the only place to be for breaking news.

A lot of people might use it like Facebook, but it's very easy to avoid those people.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":kj6nt5p7 said:

Bravo! Bravo! However, I do look at who makes a post before I initially click on it and yours (as well as Scotts and Rob's) is one of the names that makes me click automatically. Having said that, twitter is something that people grow in to after earning a certain amount of notoriety, and more importantly, cultivating trust in some higher up sources. Then you have to regulate what you put out there so that it keeps people coming back, never want to over do it. I do foresee a time when Kip will have a twitter account and it will be because it's worth watching.

Back to the OP

That guy is certainly a man among boys there, I wonder how he would do against better competition? He looks very powerful, shoving two guys backwards at once. But he also looks very stiff. He was flat-backed in his stance and I can't remember what that is supposed to mean. Something about the difference between a knee-bender and a waist-bender I think.

Looks like a physical freak for the practice squad but a long way from playing ability.

Kip, I think this is spot on:

"There will be a lot of 1st round type players that will fall into the late 2nd, I think in particular Kawann Short is a player to keep an eye on.

Another admission- I think the whole "15 players with 1st round grades" refrain that's making the rounds... it's complete bullshit*. Guys like Tyler Eifert, DeAndre Hopkins, Ryan Swope, Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones, Tavon Austin, Jonathan Banks, Cordarrelle Patterson, Menelik Watson, etc are fantastic prospects and they aren't likely on that 1st round grade list"

I would hope that PC&JS would trade up for Kawaan Short. He's getting a bad rap and now a lot of boards have put Sylvester Williams, John Hankins, John Jenkins and Jesse Williams ahead of him, making him the 8th DT on the board! I love Kawaan and if we got him in the 2nd, I wouldn't care who else we got, well except for kicker Dustin Hopkins and my pet project Joe Vellano :D

http://www.draftinsider.net/rankings/2013/DT

Edit: AND Jordan Rodgers. Watched him on Game Changers the other day and love him even more.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ivotuk":17aqhrwb said:
kearly":17aqhrwb said:

Bravo! Bravo! However, I do look at who makes a post before I initially click on it and yours (as well as Scotts and Rob's) is one of the names that makes me click automatically. Having said that, twitter is something that people grow in to after earning a certain amount of notoriety, and more importantly, cultivating trust in some higher up sources. Then you have to regulate what you put out there so that it keeps people coming back, never want to over do it. I do foresee a time when Kip will have a twitter account and it will be because it's worth watching.

Back to the OP

That guy is certainly a man among boys there, I wonder how he would do against better competition? He looks very powerful, shoving two guys backwards at once. But he also looks very stiff. He was flat-backed in his stance and I can't remember what that is supposed to mean. Something about the difference between a knee-bender and a waist-bender I think.

Looks like a physical freak for the practice squad but a long way from playing ability.

Kip, I think this is spot on:

"There will be a lot of 1st round type players that will fall into the late 2nd, I think in particular Kawann Short is a player to keep an eye on.

Another admission- I think the whole "15 players with 1st round grades" refrain that's making the rounds... it's complete bullshit*. Guys like Tyler Eifert, DeAndre Hopkins, Ryan Swope, Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones, Tavon Austin, Jonathan Banks, Cordarrelle Patterson, Menelik Watson, etc are fantastic prospects and they aren't likely on that 1st round grade list"

I would hope that PC&JS would trade up for Kawaan Short. He's getting a bad rap and now a lot of boards have put Sylvester Williams, John Hankins, John Jenkins and Jesse Williams ahead of him, making him the 8th DT on the board! I love Kawaan and if we got him in the 2nd, I wouldn't care who else we got, well except for kicker Dustin Hopkins and my pet project Joe Vellano :D

http://www.draftinsider.net/rankings/2013/DT

Edit: AND Jordan Rodgers. Watched him on Game Changers the other day and love him even more.
What I saw on the video was a two gapping power player who could be depth for Red in run situations. He keeps his shoulders square and sheds blocks, and keeps his eyes on the backfield from those few clips we saw. A guy he played with at Regina last year saw a lot of snaps for the Saints in 2012, Akiem Hicks, and initial reports are that he is better than Hicks, so small school or no, Charles could contribiute right away, especially since his fundamentals look good. I don't think they grade guys by round in Seattle, I suspect they only grade if a player improves the squad and where you think other teams might target them. Charles would provide immediate depth behind Red and his Lis Franc foot, which makes him a viable target from 56 on.

I agree on Short, he would be immediate depth inside. He and Charles are very different players at very different spots. And I would not be stunned if the Hawks have Charles rated higher than Short just because of the need, since they have Clinton McDonald signed up for another year.