Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeak

Reaction score
Thurmond has been injured so much that someone else that can play at a high level would be a great improvement.

Also don't forget if we can swap Thurmond in and out as needed he may stay healthy all year...

Nateruw

Reaction score
He's so physical against the run that I wonder if they are considering playing him at SS. Maybe Kam is getting cold feet?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He might be a good backup to Sherman and Browner as well. I don't have much faith that Walter can go a whole season and its his last year under contract as well. I am a big fan of Lane, I thought he did well in his 2 games as the 5th DB. The big thing he has over all the rest of our DBs is speed. In mini camp last year he did a 4.39 and 4.40 which is the fastest on the team except perhaps for Harvin.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
He hadn't allowed a TD all year.

He's the best nickle back in the league.

Says something.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
All I know is if we get Winfield then the Flynn deal probably looks even better. He can probably be had for about $3 million on a one year deal with the right team. Cap space saved by trading Flynn for 2013 was $3.25 million.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":22s3jjpp said:
JSeahawks":22s3jjpp said:
Sign him to the veterans minimum and let him compete. Although I'd prefer Thurmond and Lane.
You might want to do a little homework before posting things like this, because saying that you prefer two wholly unproven options (incl. one with a major injury history) to the premier nickel/slot corner in the entire NFL is patently absurd. Also, Winfield isn't signing "for the minimum" somewhere "to compete" like he's some form of camp fodder. He's an elite player at what he does, he has a healthy offer on the table from the Redskins to be a starter, the Vikings are trying to get him back, and anyone who wants him is going to have to pony up.

Thank you for the advice. I will be sure and do a minimum of 15 minutes research before sharing my meaningless opinion in each post from this point forward.

I understand he's very good at what he does. I also know that he's 35 and that his coverage skills have already begun to decline rather dramatically although he's still very good against the run. Thurmond is the 2nd best cover corner on the team when healthy and Lane showed me a lot last year as well. I'd much rather have a decade of each of those guys then 1 year of Winfield. (although i'd gladly take all 3 and lose Trufant and Maxwell).

Doesnt surprise me that the REdskins would offer to pay him a lot of money, their owner is one of the biggest idiots in the NFL. If Winfield is their starter on the outside WR's are going to be licking their chops, and fighting to line up across from him.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1tadkkmk said:
NorthDallas40oz":1tadkkmk said:
JSeahawks":1tadkkmk said:
Sign him to the veterans minimum and let him compete. Although I'd prefer Thurmond and Lane.
You might want to do a little homework before posting things like this, because saying that you prefer two wholly unproven options (incl. one with a major injury history) to the premier nickel/slot corner in the entire NFL is patently absurd. Also, Winfield isn't signing "for the minimum" somewhere "to compete" like he's some form of camp fodder. He's an elite player at what he does, he has a healthy offer on the table from the Redskins to be a starter, the Vikings are trying to get him back, and anyone who wants him is going to have to pony up.

Thank you for the advice. I will be sure and do a minimum of 15 minutes research before sharing my meaningless opinion in each post from this point forward.

I understand he's very good at what he does. I also know that he's 35 and that his coverage skills have already begun to decline rather dramatically although he's still very good against the run. Thurmond is the 2nd best cover corner on the team when healthy and Lane showed me a lot last year as well. I'd much rather have a decade of each of those guys then 1 year of Winfield. (although i'd gladly take all 3 and lose Trufant and Maxwell).

Doesnt surprise me that the REdskins would offer to pay him a lot of money, their owner is one of the biggest idiots in the NFL. If Winfield is their starter on the outside WR's are going to be licking their chops, and fighting to line up across from him.

Dude, Thurmond has proved absolutely nothing. I just dont undersrand the love fest there. He has been serviceable at best when he is actually on the field. 1 year of elite play at one of our primary weak points is a huge gain. If Thurmond and lane are so great have them try and beat out Winfield. Good luck.

Who were the other DBS on he Vikings? Crickets. Now imagine other elite players around Winfield. Good stuff. Lets win now and develop guys like lane. We don't have to push him into a starting role just because. Signing a great player for one year is not going to hinde anyone development.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Nateruw":rynifib3 said:
He's so physical against the run that I wonder if they are considering playing him at SS. Maybe Kam is getting cold feet?
That is probably the weirdest first post I have seen on this board.

Welcome to the .NET community, but damn.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":77e8xjh1 said:
Dude, Thurmond has proved absolutely nothing. I just dont undersrand the love fest there. He has been serviceable at best when he is actually on the field. Calling him our second best cover guy is asinine. 1 year of elite play at one of our primary weak points is a huge gain. If Thurmond and lane are so great have them try and beat out Winfield. Good luck.

Alright. Since calling him our 2nd best cover cb is so asinine then there must be an obvious answer who is better. If not Thurmond who is our 2nd best cover man? Don't tell me Browner. Browner's a very good CB, much better all around then Thurmond. But its due to his physicality and beastlyness. Not due to his coverage ability.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2jnyx0xf said:
Coug_Hawk08":2jnyx0xf said:
Dude, Thurmond has proved absolutely nothing. I just dont undersrand the love fest there. He has been serviceable at best when he is actually on the field. Calling him our second best cover guy is asinine. 1 year of elite play at one of our primary weak points is a huge gain. If Thurmond and lane are so great have them try and beat out Winfield. Good luck.

Alright. Since calling him our 2nd best cover cb is so asinine then there must be an obvious answer who is better. If not Thurmond who is our 2nd best cover man? Don't tell me Browner. Browner's a very good CB, better all around then Thurmond. But its due to his physicality and beastlyness. Not due to his coverage ability.

Show me their numbers against each other. All five of thurmonds snaps. Reliablity is extremely important.

It's like calling Matt Flynn elite based on his nine passes last year.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3iw7lyma said:
JSeahawks":3iw7lyma said:
Coug_Hawk08":3iw7lyma said:

Alright. Since calling him our 2nd best cover cb is so asinine then there must be an obvious answer who is better. If not Thurmond who is our 2nd best cover man? Don't tell me Browner. Browner's a very good CB, better all around then Thurmond. But its due to his physicality and beastlyness. Not due to his coverage ability.

Show me their numbers against each other. All five of thurmonds snaps. Reliablity is extremely important.

Thats a completely different argument. I agree Thurmond isnt very reliable. Which is why I said i would like to have all 3 of Thurmond, Lane and Winfield.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Seemed like you were advocating Thurmond and lane over Winfield pretty hard there. Thurmond admittedly being extremely unreliable in both skill and play time, or lane a second year small school guy who primarily is an outside guy. Don't get me wrong, I want our guys to develop and hope they turn into gems. I just think Winfield has proven his craft. We want to upgrade in every way possible. If we don't sign him, I would be shocked if we don't draft a player to compete with the others. Can't imagine we are happy with the play at that spot (or present talent level). Tru playing ahead of those guys all year says a lot.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I wanted Woodson, but the more I think about it this signing would be outstanding too. Charles has the ability to play 3rd safety, however I bridge Winfield's overall game right NOW makes up for that. Him as our nickel would be insane

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":29p6lgg9 said:
Seemed like you were advocating Thurmond and lane over Winfield pretty hard there. Thurmond admittedly being extremely unreliable in both skill and play time, or lane a second year small school guy who primarily is an outside guy. Don't get me wrong, I want our guys to develop and hope they turn into gems. I just think Winfield has proven his craft. We want to upgrade in every way possible. If we don't sign him, I would be shocked if we don't draft a player to compete with the others. Can't imagine we are happy with the play at that spot (or present talent level). Tru playing ahead of those guys all year says a lot.

I was advocating signing Winfield for the smallest amount possible then letting them all compete in camp. I'd prefer that Thurmond and Lane win that combination based on them possibly having long term futures with the team.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I'd just like to throw out there the success Carroll and Schneider have had drafting and then developing secondary players. I don't think it's beyond possibility that either Lane, Thurmond, or even a rookie is better than what Winfield, at 35, could give us this year. Lane seems like good depth on the outside and, of course, Thurmond hasn't been able to stay healthy, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make for viable options in Training Camp.

That said I'm also not opposed to bringing Winfield in because his tackling, wiles, and short area quickness might still be perfect for the slot. If it's a decent short term deal it might be too good to pass up.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
bestfightstory":7qr6e0if said:
This guy is a stud who has performed in a professional manner for a long long time. A quintessential student of the game who will probably go down in history as the greatest cornerback vs the run over his entire career in the history of the game.

Would be a much better signing than Woodson, who many were clamoring for.
You know more about Vikings players than anyone, so I second your endorsement.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Winfield is the best DB in the slot in the NFL. It is exactly what the Seahawks needs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":12u4yf8u said:
JSeahawks":12u4yf8u said:
JSeahawks":12u4yf8u said:

Dude, Thurmond has proved absolutely nothing. I just dont undersrand the love fest there. He has been serviceable at best when he is actually on the field. 1 year of elite play at one of our primary weak points is a huge gain. If Thurmond and lane are so great have them try and beat out Winfield. Good luck.

Who were the other DBS on he Vikings? Crickets. Now imagine other elite players around Winfield. Good stuff. Lets win now and develop guys like lane. We don't have to push him into a starting role just because. Signing a great player for one year is not going to hinde anyone development.
Thurmond is a duck, J is a duck. FWIW I like III, dude just can't stay on the field though.

j hawk

Reaction score
If winfield is better than anything we have you sign him. The first SB is the hardest. We can worry about the others later. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.