NaVorro Bowman on Seahawks: You have to earn hype

rlkats

Reaction score
chris98251":3gaudnkb said:
Were just beginning to get on the national media bandwagon, hyped or not we can't live in the medias twits, blogs, or articals and interviews. It has to be on the field. I think thats whats being touted from what is being stated. Can we deal with the circus involved and maintain our edge.

Eagles hyped into outter space with the Dream Team and we seen how that played out, Cowboys have teams that should have been better but I think many were busy reading headlines and not playing on the field either. I think the whole NFC West is a little chippy because we all have been labeled as the NFC Worst for so long and that even as playoff contenders, we got their because of a weak division has kinda laid the foundation for all the teams to punch back in some form.

I'll take it as a statement and not an insult of slight.

This

Goldrush

Reaction score
RichNhansom":wmnxy02a said:
noflyzone":wmnxy02a said:
Plus they made it to.the superbowl, we didnt. Go hawks.

They made it to the super bowl is getting old real fast. They beat us by half a game. That is a bounce of a ball. We demoralized them 42-13, That IMO is a much better example of the two teams. It is actual head to head.

If we don't break Skelton or Mike Carey doesn't call a bogus roughing the passer on Thomas or a ton of other scenario's, we are the #2 seed and they are traveling to DC to break their best DE, Kicker and spraining Gores ankle before the division round. How do you think they would have fared coming to Seattle with those injuries? Do you think they could have gotten by Atlanta if Gore had a sprained ankle? What if they had to play at 10:00am?

lol that include the Greenbay game?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The thing about hype is how it is applied. This wasn't some scrub team that got by on an 8-8 record that signed a bunch of superstars. This was team that was just a QB away from breaking free in 2012. Once Wilson was let loose, the wins came in large quantities.
They are returning a group if very talented players that mostly range in 2-3 year experience area and acquired a couple guys that have proven they can perform. There isn't a player making "dream team" claims and the leadership on and off the field is exceptional.

The Hawks have already earned their respect from a majority of the experts, the only ones talking hype are for the most part affiliated with the Niners. From their fans, to their radio guys and probably a player here and there.

In recent years, the Niners have been "good" for 2 whole seasons. They won one more playoff game than the Hawks did. So what's the difference? Isn't it just as wrong to be hyping them for what really amounts to nothing more than one season's difference?

As long as the players know the game is win on the field, the Hawks will be great. With the leadership they have, that will be stressed more than ever.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I read the article and I also did not feel like Bowman was trash talking the Seahawks at all. He said "you have to earn these things" but I didn't take that to mean that he thought the Seahawks hadn't earned this hype, but that they already did. He also acknowledged the beat-down his 49ers got and seemed pretty hyped about getting the chance to have some epic battles this coming season.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Goldrush":hfsmcjk6 said:
RichNhansom":hfsmcjk6 said:
noflyzone":hfsmcjk6 said:
Plus they made it to.the superbowl, we didnt. Go hawks.

They made it to the super bowl is getting old real fast. They beat us by half a game. That is a bounce of a ball. We demoralized them 42-13, That IMO is a much better example of the two teams. It is actual head to head.

If we don't break Skelton or Mike Carey doesn't call a bogus roughing the passer on Thomas or a ton of other scenario's, we are the #2 seed and they are traveling to DC to break their best DE, Kicker and spraining Gores ankle before the division round. How do you think they would have fared coming to Seattle with those injuries? Do you think they could have gotten by Atlanta if Gore had a sprained ankle? What if they had to play at 10:00am?

lol that include the Greenbay game?

Lol go watch that Green Bay touchdown drive and watch for the magically non visible, non contestable DPI against Kam Chancellor that kept them from a punt or extremely long FG try that no one trusted their kicker could hit lol. Even ESPN hopped onto the replacement hate wagon on that call and said the refs gave GB the game lol.

Unless everyone is so captivated by the post game 4 hour cry fest ESPN had over the fail mary while they conveniently forgot about the rap they put on the ref that flagged Kam for Green Bay's go ahead touchdown. Only reason they did is it was a better story to cry over the great ARod getting cheated by the refs then to say it should have been a 7-6 Seahawks win.

Green Bay and the refs could have escaped with a win and a pat on the back. All Capers had to do was teach their defense how to play football, then M.D. Jennings would have knocked that fail mary down or out of play.

RyPants

Reaction score
I think what Bowman said was fair. One great season does not a great team make. If memory serves, the Lions were a playoff team in 2011 and last year... not so much. There's no question that we've earned a great deal of respect, but it's how you build on that that defines your organization.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
LadyTalon your wasting your time trying to be reasonable with these guys. On one hand they want to use the argument of not buying into the hype machine and then in their next breath they want to use the hail mary that was 100% created by the hype machine.

Please explain why the call was not over turned and later upheld by the league as the correct call? You can't because it was the right call and the only reason it is even a blip on anyone's radar is do to media hype. But hey don't buy into the hype right?

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Shinigami":1kdieorf said:
He actually praised the Seahawks he sounds like a reasonable guy and most of what he said makes sense. Chill out people and take a compliment from a heated rival.

Exactly.

I don't understand why you guys are getting bent out of shape about this.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Shinigami":2k8cxs4l said:
Stop being so filled hate damn man. What if that botched Hail Mairy call went in favor of the Packers? The Seahawks would be 10-6 instead of 11-5 and what if David Akers doesn't miss the field goals against the Rams? The 49ers go 13-3 again probably, plus the 10 am thing how do you think the 49ers felt after playing the Patriots across the country and then having to travel the QUEST FIELD! What team can handle doing that?

Everything fell into place when he demolished the 49ers, Justin Smith was hurt the 49ers were reeling from a near meltdown against the Patriots and they even struggled against the Cards towards the end of the year. They didn't recover until they had a bye week and even then had trouble against the Packers at the start the Falcons, and the Ravens finally did them in.

A whole bunch of things could have happened. You're using that one great game we had against them as proof we were better?

If you examine closely the Seahawks and 49ers performances in the playoffs were similar, they both started slow until they got things going towards the end. We couldn't finish the Falcons where the 49ers did.
The Seahawks had 3 studly games towards the end of the Season,(nearing 150 points, including the 9rs in that swath) of which the 49rs have not even come close to doing.
The Seahawks beat the Rams handily in their second meeting, while the 9rs could only tie them.
Considering how close the first few losses, and how much RW was reigned in, in those games, the 49rs were lucky enough to be in front by 1/2 game.
9rs hosted the Falcons + they had a week off to prepare for that match in the boot.
Not saying that the 49rs are dogs, but they aren't back to the old 9rs dynasty days either, while the Seahawks have never been in the dynasty grouping, they still stand in the way of those who aspire to get there.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Shinigami":3f73rxqh said:
He actually praised the Seahawks he sounds like a reasonable guy and most of what he said makes sense. Chill out people and take a compliment from a heated rival.
He left the door open for some of the crap that's leaking in here dude, by his answer to the question are the Seahawks right up there with the 49rs, his reply, I DON'T JUDGE, all I know, is that the 49rs all work hard every day, Like dude!, you aren't the only player/s that are busting their asses to compete, and get better. :141847_bnono:
How hard would it for him to say YES, this is a great competition that's transpired in the NFC WEST, and the Seahawks are off the front porch and running with the big dogs now.

HawkHouse

Reaction score
NinerLifer":ryat2wgj said:
Shinigami":ryat2wgj said:

Exactly.

I don't understand why you guys are getting bent out of shape about this.

I could see it as being looked at both ways, but consider that some of us around here are passionate about this rivalry and reading it as disrespect is to be expected ...

I don't so much see it as a "compliment" as I do a little jab from an opposing player. I mean he's not an impartial analyst or something of that sort ...

He's calling us out and being nice about it, IMO :D

drdiags

Reaction score
The Rams were taunted by the 9ers prior to them turning it around. The Rams taunted the Seahawks prior to them making their Superbowl run. The Cardinals were catching flack from the Seahawks and 9ers prior to their run as division champs. The Cardinals and 9ers players went at each other as they realized they were the 2 most physically talented teams in the NFCW. The season of sub-500 occurred and since then the 9ers have been the class of the division.

Now the Seahawks have talent throughout their line-up and until the Rams and Cardinals prove their offenses are up to snuff, it appears the 9ers and Seahawks are top dogs of the division. Until the Seahawks win the division again, the Superbowl hype is just the media ramping up for the oncoming season.

The NFC has some very talented teams. It will be very interesting to see how the team gels this upcoming season. Bowman can only talk about the atmosphere he has seen since being in the league. And during his time in the league the 9ers have been judged a better team than Seattle. The media hype for the Seahawks is new to him as well.

I know that Dockett would like to have a chance to tell both teams to kiss his butt. Now that is a guy who doesn't mind mixing it up through social media.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I don't care about the Niners.

They gotta prove it to us. So far, they haven't done squat. Last time I saw San Fran play, they got the holy living hell beat out of em. It wasn't even fun after the second quarter, wasn't even a game.

Hey Navarro, your team sucks dude. Tell ya what. Why don't you save the smack talk until YOU earn something? I mean, you come up here and get beat down in such humiliating fashion that Seattle fans were leaving the game early. Didn't even look like an NFL team out there. Why don't you give us a bunch of excuses why you sucked so bad, like all your fans were doing after the game? Tell us why you lost the SuperBowl? Give us some more excuses. You wanna talk about earning something, but your team hasn't earned a damn thing yet. Your'e right there with the Seahawks, but you try to sound like you're bigger than us by talking about earning stuff. Why don't you earn a win against us and THEN talk some smack?

49ers are so weak, even San Francisco doesn't root for you yet. I spend half my time in the Bay, and all I see there is Giants gear. Nobody in San Fran cares about the 49ers. They're all baseball fans. And you know why? Because the 49ers haven't done a goddam thing since the 1980's and nobody in San Francisco cares about a loser.

So frankly, next time I hear a 49er fan or player talking smack, why don't you take that smack talk, go back to the Bay and gain a few fans first? You don't even have a fanbase yet. The Seahawks were selling out Husky Stadium when they went 2-14. When I went to Candlestick in October, half the stadium was empty because everyone in San Francisco was rooting on the Giants in the baseball playoffs.

Total wanker fanbase and total wanker team. I really don't even understand why these lame idiots get taken seriously by Seahawk fans. San Francisco doesn't even have football fans. The only real football fans in that part of California root for the Raiders. And that is really pathetic.

canfan

Reaction score
themunn":3umb2rps said:
Shinigami":3umb2rps said:
A whole bunch of things could have happened. You're using that one great game we had against them as proof we were better?

Yeah , a whole bunch of things COULD have happened, but didn't. That's what happens in football.
What if Pete gets that timeout called before the Rams snap the ball for the fake FG
What if Doug Baldwin holds on to the ball in the endzone instead of getting blasted in Arizona
What if we stop Detroit on 3rd and 10 with 40 seconds left instead of giving away an 11 yard pass?
What if Robert Turbin holds on to what would have been a sure TD in the first quarter at SF?
What if the refs don't call that absolutely ludicrous pass interference on ET in Miami and we get to keep the interception instead of giving away a 15 yard penalty on a crucial 3rd down?

With five "what ifs" we could have been 16-0 but football is a game of what ifs.

With just ONE "what if" we could have been superbowl champions - what if Pete Carroll hadn't "iced" the Falcons kicker in the final seconds of the Atlanta game. We'd have been in the NFC Championship game against a team we throttled just 4 weeks previously

And "if" a dog had a square a$$, he could $hit bricks. The thing to remember is that none of those things DID happen. In the end they were a 1/2 game ahead of us and they did go to the SB. We'll get our turn, and when we do, I bet we don't have a whole lot of patience for 49ers who play the "if" game.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
HansGruber":1vcuq1ev said:
I don't care about the Niners.

They gotta prove it to us. So far, they haven't done squat. Last time I saw San Fran play, they got the holy living hell beat out of em. It wasn't even fun after the second quarter, wasn't even a game.

Hey Navarro, your team sucks dude. Tell ya what. Why don't you save the smack talk until YOU earn something? I mean, you come up here and get beat down in such humiliating fashion that Seattle fans were leaving the game early. Didn't even look like an NFL team out there. Why don't you give us a bunch of excuses why you sucked so bad, like all your fans were doing after the game? Tell us why you lost the SuperBowl? Give us some more excuses. You wanna talk about earning something, but your team hasn't earned a damn thing yet. Your'e right there with the Seahawks, but you try to sound like you're bigger than us by talking about earning stuff. Why don't you earn a win against us and THEN talk some smack?

49ers are so weak, even San Francisco doesn't root for you yet. I spend half my time in the Bay, and all I see there is Giants gear. Nobody in San Fran cares about the 49ers. They're all baseball fans. And you know why? Because the 49ers haven't done a goddam thing since the 1980's and nobody in San Francisco cares about a loser.

So frankly, next time I hear a 49er fan or player talking smack, why don't you take that smack talk, go back to the Bay and gain a few fans first? You don't even have a fanbase yet. The Seahawks were selling out Husky Stadium when they went 2-14. When I went to Candlestick in October, half the stadium was empty because everyone in San Francisco was rooting on the Giants in the baseball playoffs.

Total wanker fanbase and total wanker team. I really don't even understand why these lame idiots get taken seriously by Seahawk fans. San Francisco doesn't even have football fans. The only real football fans in that part of California root for the Raiders. And that is really pathetic.

*deskpalm* Posts like this are why the Niners see us as douches, come on bro do you watch football? The Niners are alot of things but they do not suck. You don't have to love em but don't make yourself look like an ass saying quite frankly idiotic comments that don't make a lick of sense. THEY are division champs atm, forget the NFC forget the Superbowl, they hold the West atm, meaning we are playing catch up to them, you and others may not like it but that's how it is. Yes I know half a game only having the playbook opened late in the year 42-13 etc etc but as far as I can see none of that matters, because last time I checked (http://www.nfl.com/standings) we finished second in the West. I love the Hawks and I don't for a second think we will be second come the end of this season, but that's no reason to throw logic and common sense down the toilet.
Additionally, he did not talk anything resembling smack, read the article.

uncle fester

Reaction score
HansGruber, as smack talk goes, that was quite poetic. Brought a smile to my face :)

BBHawks

Reaction score
HawksSoc, thank you for a sane response to HansGruber smack. HansGruber-style smack is why the majority of other fans around the country, not just Niner fans, think we're a bunch of idiots.

Please get a hold of yourselves. For one thing, that Niner linebacker acknowledged that the Hawks are a tough team and acknowledged that the Hawks kicked their asses. But HawksSoc and Navarro Bowman are right - the Niners won the NFC West. The Niners won the NFC Conference. Our Hawks didn't. So, if you're going to rush to your keyboard and say the Niners suck, what does that say about the team that came in second to the Niners? I don't care if it brings a smile to anyone's face. It makes me shake my head and wonder what kind of fan looks at a franchise with a history like the Niners and says they suck as a franchise. What the hell are you talking about? I wish the Hawks had at least a couple championships. I'm hoping they get them in the next five years. But, if you go into the next couple of years thinking the Niners are finished or that the Seahawks have their number and the Niners are pushovers, you're living in a dream world.

rlkats

Reaction score
Well one thing in reading all the posts is GOD I can not wait until the season starts. Good luck to both teams, and both fan bases.

HansGruber

Reaction score
LOL. I was posting last night after drinking nearly half a fifth of tequila. What started out as a "tasting" adventure quickly devolved into a night of debauchery, and it is SUPER hilarious to me that I ended up stumbling into my house, plunking down on the couch, writing a bunch of semi-coherent smack posts about the Niners, and stumbling off to bed.

Honestly though, not sure how I could hate the Niners that much. It's true that they don't even have any fans in their own town.