Seahawks working out Matt Scott

Scottemojo

Reaction score
nbk35zw":w4oztc6m said:
As a UA alum, and admitted homer, I would suggest we draft him, and draft him early. Go watch his USC tape. Go watch his Stanford tape. Go watch the Nevada tape. Hell, go watch him destroy the Huskies.

Draft picks are so overvalued. Pick valuable players. That makes a draft pick valuable.

Matt Scott @ #56... doubt he lasts to 30, however.

What if I accidentally watch the Oregon game? Will I still want him?

kearly

Reaction score
I think that whole team was snakebit in that Oregon game. I'd compare Matt Scott vs. Oregon to Russell Wilson vs. @Rams or @49ers. Wilson played well those games, but was snakebit by fluke INTs against the rams and snakebit by drops vs. the 49ers. A lot of people came down hard on Wilson during those games, I thought he played well and was just extremely unlucky. I thought he'd be just fine.

That whole Oregon game (from Arizona's POV) felt a lot like Seattle vs. Atlanta in the first half. They were moving the football and looked like the better team, but they seemed to be cursed and somehow fell behind big. In the case of Arizona, that snowballed into frustration and an ugly shutout. In the case of Seattle, it resulted in a massive 2nd half correction. Matt Scott is no Russell Wilson, but what Wilson did overcoming adversity in that Atlanta game was extremely rare, the kind of thing you usually only see from the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of the world.

If I had to make a case against Matt Scott, I'd probably showcase his final game against Nevada. It was almost the exact opposite of the Oregon game- Scott played poorly for the most part, but his team still scored 49 points. He had a couple of ugly picks and probably a dozen terrible throws, but he came through when it mattered. I washed my hands of the Oregon game. It was on the road against a vastly superior team and everything about the first half especially screamed "fluke". I think the Nevada game worried me a lot more, but it also highlights that a struggling Matt Scott can still be a dangerous QB.

Matt Scott's best game (on youtube) was Stanford. He was outstanding in that game.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I've never once watched him and thought, "thats an NFL qb.". I wouldnt take him before the 5th round and i'd rather have Tebow, Vince Young or Thigpen as our backup. Hell, I think Josh Portis will be better, and i'm considered a Josh Portis "hater" by some on this board.

60% completion percentage in that type of offense they ran at Arizona screams less then 50% NFL completion percentage to me. And Scott had the benefit of having the leading rusher in the NCAA on his team. His completion percentage (which I think is one of the most important stats, because it is what keeps the chains moving) was worse then Keith Price who had a bad year, and Zach Maynard who is quite possibly the worst pac 12 QB i've ever seen. Denard Robinson, in the same offense the year before, completed 63%, and he's changing positions because he was such a bad QB.

He's not going to make it in the NFL, in my opinion. Darron Thomas 2.0.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":316q8nhu said:
I've never once watched him and thought, "thats an NFL qb.".

He had some great games, particularly Stanford or his first ever start vs. Washington in 2011 (?).

His accuracy is inconsistent, but it's the mental inconsistency that is probably my biggest concern. Darron Thomas is not a terrible comparison, but that being said Matt Scott has the widest scope of NFL projections out of this entire draft class. At worst, I think he's another Seneca Wallace (Wallace wasn't even considered a QB when he was drafted). Yet he has elite level quickness and terrific arm talent, and he has his moments where he looks like Aaron Rodgers or RG3. I think he's a lot more likely to hit the Seneca Wallace side of the spectrum than the Rodgers side, but I also think our coaching staff and offense could give him the best chance of anybody to maximize his chances.

I would be thrilled if we got him in the 4th or 5th, but I wouldn't take him in the late 2nd (which is where I think he'll go).

Sometimes before players become great, they show flashes of it. Scott shows flashes of elite ability and seems to have good intangibles. Nobody is saying that he's an elite QB right now. He's very much a high risk swing for the fences type, not unlike Colin Kaepernick or Tarvaris Jackson when they entered the NFL.