Seahawks working out Matt Scott

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Seahawks working out Matt Scott
Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 pm
  • John Kryk ‏@JohnKryk 19m
    Also, Matt Scott this Friday will work out privately for #Seahawks QBs coach Carl Smith at Scott's Calif HS. #NFLdraft
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Re: Seahawks working out Matt Scott
Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:35 pm
  • And somewhere, kearly is giggling like a mastermind...and also writing a new opus.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:38 pm
  • Watch him get drafted 1st round just because the Seahawks are looking at him :D
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:39 pm
  • I would love it if we can manage to draft Scott! Perfect backup for us.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:44 pm

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm
  • Eagles have met with Scott already there's some intertest in him around the league.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:59 pm
  • Smoke screen.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:04 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Smoke screen.

i mean it could be, but looking at videos and how he plays... why wouldn't we like a guy like that as your backup?
    Superb Owl.
    Speakinhawk68
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Looks painful!
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:51 pm
  • Atradees wrote:Image

Looks painful!

His nickname will be Gumby Doll.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:29 am
  • Seems odd the team is being so public about this workout, feels like a smokescreen.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am
  • those red helmets are awful.....fashion faux pas
    you want a lil woo woooooooooooo
    bubbrubb
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 pm
  • Something tells me he won't fall passed the 3rd round and I think the Hawks shouldn't draft a qb until their 4th round pick.
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 pm
  • Seahawksfan425 wrote:Something tells me he won't fall passed the 3rd round and I think the Hawks shouldn't draft a qb until their 4th round pick.

Someone will foolishly overdraft this kid. He has great potential, but not that high.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:41 pm
  • I consider you all smarter than myself about such things...but do we really want a QB in this draft? I would be against using anymore than one of our 7ths on a (developmental-type ) QB in 13. His deal would be up just one year after Wilson's. You guys know this already.

I was thinking about just stayin with a stop gap (Young, Webb etc.) until perhaps next year or even the year after, then using a higher pick to get a QB we can develop to keep as Wilson's potential replacement (god forbid) or to ultimately trade (if we can retain Wilson and Wilson stays Wilson). This approach wouldn't make more sense?
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:56 pm
  • As a UA alum, and admitted homer, I would suggest we draft him, and draft him early. Go watch his USC tape. Go watch his Stanford tape. Go watch the Nevada tape. Hell, go watch him destroy the Huskies.

Draft picks are so overvalued. Pick valuable players. That makes a draft pick valuable.

Matt Scott @ #56... doubt he lasts to 30, however.
    It is what it is...
    nbk35zw
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:54 pm
  • nbk35zw wrote:Draft picks are so overvalued. Pick valuable players. That makes a draft pick valuable.

This is so oversimplified that I'm surprised nobody has mocked you for saying it yet; that said I am in agreement with you. I'd rather "reach" for John Simon in round 2 than get a "steal" like Jonathan Hankins in the same draft slot. Seattle used this same philosophy with the Irvin/Wagner/Wilson picks last year. Point being, I think most people (especially in the media) get carried away with a players' perceived value where in reality many of the best players are under the radar, and our FO does an outstanding job of identifying those players.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like Matt Scott is going to be one of those undervalued players to GMs, if he ever was one.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:22 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:And somewhere, kearly is giggling like a mastermind...and also writing a new opus.

Scott was being mentioned by local media and a few in the national media from the start.....not really new news.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:22 pm
  • Atradees wrote:Image

Looks painful!

I wondered what had happened to Adam Morrison.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:31 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:And somewhere, kearly is giggling like a mastermind...and also writing a new opus.

Scott was being mentioned by local media and a few in the national media from the start.....not really new news.

Kip was way ahead of the national media and local media.

It's ok to give him credit - it doesn't cost anything. :P
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:32 pm
  • Matt Scott @mscottqb10

Had a good workout with the Seahawks today gotta keep grindin!
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:09 pm
  • nbk35zw wrote:As a UA alum, and admitted homer, I would suggest we draft him, and draft him early. Go watch his USC tape. Go watch his Stanford tape. Go watch the Nevada tape. Hell, go watch him destroy the Huskies.

Draft picks are so overvalued. Pick valuable players. That makes a draft pick valuable.

Matt Scott @ #56... doubt he lasts to 30, however.

What if I accidentally watch the Oregon game? Will I still want him?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:18 pm
  • I think that whole team was snakebit in that Oregon game. I'd compare Matt Scott vs. Oregon to Russell Wilson vs. @Rams or @49ers. Wilson played well those games, but was snakebit by fluke INTs against the rams and snakebit by drops vs. the 49ers. A lot of people came down hard on Wilson during those games, I thought he played well and was just extremely unlucky. I thought he'd be just fine.

That whole Oregon game (from Arizona's POV) felt a lot like Seattle vs. Atlanta in the first half. They were moving the football and looked like the better team, but they seemed to be cursed and somehow fell behind big. In the case of Arizona, that snowballed into frustration and an ugly shutout. In the case of Seattle, it resulted in a massive 2nd half correction. Matt Scott is no Russell Wilson, but what Wilson did overcoming adversity in that Atlanta game was extremely rare, the kind of thing you usually only see from the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of the world.

If I had to make a case against Matt Scott, I'd probably showcase his final game against Nevada. It was almost the exact opposite of the Oregon game- Scott played poorly for the most part, but his team still scored 49 points. He had a couple of ugly picks and probably a dozen terrible throws, but he came through when it mattered. I washed my hands of the Oregon game. It was on the road against a vastly superior team and everything about the first half especially screamed "fluke". I think the Nevada game worried me a lot more, but it also highlights that a struggling Matt Scott can still be a dangerous QB.

Matt Scott's best game (on youtube) was Stanford. He was outstanding in that game.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm
  • I've never once watched him and thought, "thats an NFL qb.". I wouldnt take him before the 5th round and i'd rather have Tebow, Vince Young or Thigpen as our backup. Hell, I think Josh Portis will be better, and i'm considered a Josh Portis "hater" by some on this board.

60% completion percentage in that type of offense they ran at Arizona screams less then 50% NFL completion percentage to me. And Scott had the benefit of having the leading rusher in the NCAA on his team. His completion percentage (which I think is one of the most important stats, because it is what keeps the chains moving) was worse then Keith Price who had a bad year, and Zach Maynard who is quite possibly the worst pac 12 QB i've ever seen. Denard Robinson, in the same offense the year before, completed 63%, and he's changing positions because he was such a bad QB.

He's not going to make it in the NFL, in my opinion. Darron Thomas 2.0.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I've never once watched him and thought, "thats an NFL qb.".

He had some great games, particularly Stanford or his first ever start vs. Washington in 2011 (?).

His accuracy is inconsistent, but it's the mental inconsistency that is probably my biggest concern. Darron Thomas is not a terrible comparison, but that being said Matt Scott has the widest scope of NFL projections out of this entire draft class. At worst, I think he's another Seneca Wallace (Wallace wasn't even considered a QB when he was drafted). Yet he has elite level quickness and terrific arm talent, and he has his moments where he looks like Aaron Rodgers or RG3. I think he's a lot more likely to hit the Seneca Wallace side of the spectrum than the Rodgers side, but I also think our coaching staff and offense could give him the best chance of anybody to maximize his chances.

I would be thrilled if we got him in the 4th or 5th, but I wouldn't take him in the late 2nd (which is where I think he'll go).

Sometimes before players become great, they show flashes of it. Scott shows flashes of elite ability and seems to have good intangibles. Nobody is saying that he's an elite QB right now. He's very much a high risk swing for the fences type, not unlike Colin Kaepernick or Tarvaris Jackson when they entered the NFL.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information