A. Davis 5 year extension with the 9ers

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
A. Davis 5 year extension with the 9ers
Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:44 am

• I see that as standard maintenance. Kind of like what JS said he was going to do after the last roster moves he made.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Wise move by them to extend their O-line early.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Good move by the 9ers.
    Freddy P Soft
    NET Bench Warmer

• Dude used to be a terrible pass blocker but now he's one of the best. As a run blocker though he's the worst on that line. I think Gore averages less than 4 yards a carry running behind him. Overall its a good signing since he never missed a game but he's kind of a one trick pony.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

• Good signing for them. Wish we could get Okung on a similar deal (although he'll get more for being a LT...and better).
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Now they have to get creative and re-sign Iupati.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Nice finger he gave to his old coach Greg Schiano

@AnthonyDavis76: You will be a 1 contract and done kinda guy in the NFL. - Greg Schiano.

Schiano must be a nice piece of work. I know Davis is a handful based on his profanity-laced tweet toward the Seahawks and fans when they won here in the Clink but was his relationship that bad with Schiano? I vaguely remember him coming out in the draft and some character flags being mentioned but didn't seem to stick. At least based on his work and contract so far.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• At the time I was shocked that SF drafted him in the first considering his poor work ethic and attitude. Maybe Schiano's prod helped motivate him. I think it was more Mike Singletary though, he saved both of the Davis' careers by kicking their butts.

I wouldn't at all be surprised though to see Davis regress this year, a lot.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• I wonder how he'll look now without Delanie Walker helping. Could get interesting.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Good move by the niners. he brings a lot of "nasty" to that line!
    canfan
    NET Rookie

• Am I missing something? 7.5 million a year for a right tackle? O-line is all about continuity, but when money is everything-that is a lot to be paying one of the most replacable parts of a football team.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

• Good. Tie up that cap, and field a piece of crap.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Anthony Davis seems to be a really unliked player in the league, I can think of quite a few players that have voiced their dislike for them (in Suggs' case, hilariously indirectly).
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• If Eric Berry makes it to #6... I think there's a pretty good chance we target this guy with that other pick. Maybe even move up.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• cacksman wrote:Am I missing something? 7.5 million a year for a right tackle? O-line is all about continuity, but when money is everything-that is a lot to be paying one of the most replacable parts of a football team.

Not at all, I'm a bit more on the fence than earlier. Sounds a lot like the Sean Locklear situation to me. Baalke might have pulled a Tim Ruskell. Like I said earlier he can pass block but Gore averaged 3.7 yards per carry running behind him last year. Substantially less yardage than he averaged running left or up the middle. Congrats 49ers, you may have spent a bunch of money on a one trick pony who can only pass block. I like that he never misses games but thats a lot of money tied up to the 3rd most important position on the offensive line and Iupati getting a blockbuster deal shortly. Oh well, thats their problem.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

• Stoned Cold wrote:
    cacksman wrote:Am I missing something? 7.5 million a year for a right tackle? O-line is all about continuity, but when money is everything-that is a lot to be paying one of the most replacable parts of a football team.

Not at all, I'm a bit more on the fence than earlier. Sounds a lot like the Sean Locklear situation to me. Baalke might have pulled a Tim Ruskell. Like I said earlier he can pass block but Gore averaged 3.7 yards per carry running behind him last year. Substantially less yardage than he averaged running left or up the middle. Congrats 49ers, you may have spent a bunch of money on a one trick pony who can only pass block. I like that he never misses games but thats a lot of money tied up to the 3rd most important position on the offensive line and Iupati getting a blockbuster deal shortly. Oh well, thats their problem.

No idea what your source is, but here's the top 10 tackles sorted by run blocking according to Profootballfocus.
    Attachments
    top10runblocker.jpg
    top10runblocker.jpg (75.17 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
    Disp
    NET Rookie

• Disp wrote:
    Stoned Cold wrote:
    cacksman wrote:Am I missing something? 7.5 million a year for a right tackle? O-line is all about continuity, but when money is everything-that is a lot to be paying one of the most replacable parts of a football team.

No idea what your source is, but here's the top 10 tackles sorted by run blocking according to Profootballfocus.

Frank Gore's 2012 game splits.

RIGHT SIDE: 58 attempts, 216 yards, 3.7 yards a carry. Compared to 4.9 left, and 4.8 middle. He also had 20-25 less carries running right which isn't surprising considering the lack of production.

Kendall Hunter's 2012 game splits.

RIGHT SIDE: 10 attempts, 33 yards, 3.3 yards per carry. 4.3 left, 5.7 middle. Also less carries running right due to lack of production.

ESPN was my source. I just saw a trend that backs don't produce as much running right. 3.66 yards per carry on 68 attempts by the 2 primary backs running right. They also run 26 and 29 times more often left or middle which I'm sure isn't just a coincidence. Maybe its Alex Boone's fault? You watch more 49er games than me.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

• nm
    Young2Rice
    NET Rookie

• cacksman wrote:Am I missing something? 7.5 million a year for a right tackle? O-line is all about continuity, but when money is everything-that is a lot to be paying one of the most replacable parts of a football team.

I agree with this. Davis is a good player, but he doesn't play a premium position. San Francisco has some key players at premium positions - Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Crabtree - due for extensions soon and that will be tougher to do if they have too much money tied up at replaceable positions like RT and LB.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

• Hey Jethawk I dont know if I really agree. How many teams with a bad O line or bad LB's would love to have Davis, Bowman, or Willis. I bet teams would even pay more for them. I feel that the trenches is where you would want to spend good money to shore up.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

• I can't wait for Crabtree to negotiate his contract. You can be your life he will want at least Megatron money. We'll see if the FO takes their standard no bargaining stance.

I think thats next year isn't it?
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:45 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information