A. Davis 5 year extension with the 9ers

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I see that as standard maintenance. Kind of like what JS said he was going to do after the last roster moves he made.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Dude used to be a terrible pass blocker but now he's one of the best. As a run blocker though he's the worst on that line. I think Gore averages less than 4 yards a carry running behind him. Overall its a good signing since he never missed a game but he's kind of a one trick pony.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Good signing for them. Wish we could get Okung on a similar deal (although he'll get more for being a LT...and better).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Now they have to get creative and re-sign Iupati.

drdiags

Reaction score
Nice finger he gave to his old coach Greg Schiano

@AnthonyDavis76: You will be a 1 contract and done kinda guy in the NFL. - Greg Schiano.

Schiano must be a nice piece of work. I know Davis is a handful based on his profanity-laced tweet toward the Seahawks and fans when they won here in the Clink but was his relationship that bad with Schiano? I vaguely remember him coming out in the draft and some character flags being mentioned but didn't seem to stick. At least based on his work and contract so far.

ivotuk

Reaction score
At the time I was shocked that SF drafted him in the first considering his poor work ethic and attitude. Maybe Schiano's prod helped motivate him. I think it was more Mike Singletary though, he saved both of the Davis' careers by kicking their butts.

I wouldn't at all be surprised though to see Davis regress this year, a lot.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wonder how he'll look now without Delanie Walker helping. Could get interesting.

canfan

Reaction score
Good move by the niners. he brings a lot of "nasty" to that line!

cacksman

Reaction score
Am I missing something? 7.5 million a year for a right tackle? O-line is all about continuity, but when money is everything-that is a lot to be paying one of the most replacable parts of a football team.

themunn

Reaction score
Anthony Davis seems to be a really unliked player in the league, I can think of quite a few players that have voiced their dislike for them (in Suggs' case, hilariously indirectly).

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If Eric Berry makes it to #6... I think there's a pretty good chance we target this guy with that other pick. Maybe even move up.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
cacksman":stor79lw said:
Am I missing something? 7.5 million a year for a right tackle? O-line is all about continuity, but when money is everything-that is a lot to be paying one of the most replacable parts of a football team.

Not at all, I'm a bit more on the fence than earlier. Sounds a lot like the Sean Locklear situation to me. Baalke might have pulled a Tim Ruskell. Like I said earlier he can pass block but Gore averaged 3.7 yards per carry running behind him last year. Substantially less yardage than he averaged running left or up the middle. Congrats 49ers, you may have spent a bunch of money on a one trick pony who can only pass block. I like that he never misses games but thats a lot of money tied up to the 3rd most important position on the offensive line and Iupati getting a blockbuster deal shortly. Oh well, thats their problem.

Disp

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":552sk8iz said:
cacksman":552sk8iz said:

Not at all, I'm a bit more on the fence than earlier. Sounds a lot like the Sean Locklear situation to me. Baalke might have pulled a Tim Ruskell. Like I said earlier he can pass block but Gore averaged 3.7 yards per carry running behind him last year. Substantially less yardage than he averaged running left or up the middle. Congrats 49ers, you may have spent a bunch of money on a one trick pony who can only pass block. I like that he never misses games but thats a lot of money tied up to the 3rd most important position on the offensive line and Iupati getting a blockbuster deal shortly. Oh well, thats their problem.

No idea what your source is, but here's the top 10 tackles sorted by run blocking according to Profootballfocus.

Attachments

• top10runblocker.jpg
    top10runblocker.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3,122

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Disp":1v17xkxr said:
Stoned Cold":1v17xkxr said:
cacksman":1v17xkxr said:

No idea what your source is, but here's the top 10 tackles sorted by run blocking according to Profootballfocus.

Frank Gore's 2012 game splits.

RIGHT SIDE: 58 attempts, 216 yards, 3.7 yards a carry. Compared to 4.9 left, and 4.8 middle. He also had 20-25 less carries running right which isn't surprising considering the lack of production.

Kendall Hunter's 2012 game splits.

RIGHT SIDE: 10 attempts, 33 yards, 3.3 yards per carry. 4.3 left, 5.7 middle. Also less carries running right due to lack of production.

ESPN was my source. I just saw a trend that backs don't produce as much running right. 3.66 yards per carry on 68 attempts by the 2 primary backs running right. They also run 26 and 29 times more often left or middle which I'm sure isn't just a coincidence. Maybe its Alex Boone's fault? You watch more 49er games than me.

jewhawk

Reaction score
cacksman":usxtpqab said:
I agree with this. Davis is a good player, but he doesn't play a premium position. San Francisco has some key players at premium positions - Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Crabtree - due for extensions soon and that will be tougher to do if they have too much money tied up at replaceable positions like RT and LB.