NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Shinn wasn't forced to sell. He was looking to sell as he was dealing with cancer treatment and his negotiations with a local ownership group fell apart. Shinn had proposed the NBA buy him out and the owners begrudgingly went alone. It was seen as more of a bail out of Shinn than an ouster. I think the more notable aspect of Shinn's story is him leaving Charlotte. He wanted out of that city, the city offered up a giant public subsidy for an arena so long as there was a new owner, the NBA felt uncomfortable with the city telling an owner he has to sell, allowed Shinn to relocate, and just promised Charlotte expansion. Sacramento isn't trying to force the Maloofs to sell, just trying to get the NBA to force them to sell to their ownership group. I think the past has shown the NBA supporting ownership's discretion even when it hurts relationships with cities.

And the Timberwolves sales/relocation was denied because the financials were screwy. The ownership group had mystery investors and a ton of money being borrowed to buy the team that exceeded what the NBA was comfortable with.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Funny how 40% of Oklahoma thinks Seattle shouldnt get the kings. I guess getting a team from another city is wrong.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Pstark3":q65mbwf4 said:
Funny how 40% of Oklahoma thinks Seattle shouldnt get the kings. I guess getting a team from another city is wrong.

How dare you say such a foul word in this thread!

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't get why Oklahoma wouldn't want us to get a team, you know how hostile those rivalry games would be? OR WHEN THE TEAM ACTUALLY GOT GOOD BECAUSE THEY HAD AMAZING AND STABLE OWNERSHIP?

Oh man those WCF's in 2018 would be amazing and i'll fly to OKC and give Peaches a choke hold, lovingly of course.

drdiags

Reaction score
pinksheets":18jegzek said:
Shinn wasn't forced to sell ...

... And the Timberwolves sales/relocation was denied because the financials were screwy. The ownership group had mystery investors and a ton of money being borrowed to buy the team that exceeded what the NBA was comfortable with.

Thanks for the info 'sheets. Used to be plugged into all the major sports 20 yrs ago but interest has waned over the years. That is why I tend to weasel-word everything. That and working with anal S/W engineers, they can be brutal.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
What I have been reading lately, I know......dangerous, is that this will ultimately will come down when the respective arenas will or can be built and most seem to believe that Sac's arena will be built quicker even after today's developments. What other respective challenges does our arena have to go through up here aside from the environmental impact study? And why do most feel that ours will be completed later if we have started sooner?

pinksheets

Reaction score
Blitzer88":12ys6xj4 said:
What I have been reading lately, I know......dangerous, is that this will ultimately will come down when the respective arenas will or can be built and most seem to believe that Sac's arena will be built quicker even after today's developments. What other respective challenges does our arena have to go through up here aside from the environmental impact study? And why do most feel that ours will be completed later if we have started sooner?
Most don't.

I have no idea where you're getting your take on things from unless you're just reading Aaron Bruski, who is a total shill that also claimed that the original Sacramento offer was very close (it was reportedly $125m short) to the Seattle PSA. If both plans stayed on track, Sacramento was looking at being a few months behind Seattle WITH their expedited process. Now that's off the table, and we're talking about projects both open to litigation, though the Seattle arena deal has already stomped one lawsuit and is an actually thought out, vetted deal at this point. Seattle's EIS is underway, the Sacramento arena plan isn't even particularly close to getting that started.

Keep in mind that the Sac city council basically voted on a "term sheet" that's essentially some loose ideas about how things would be paid for with the thought that they needed to show support and the nitty gritty would be gotten to later. All of those negotiations Chris did with the City Council, all of that fine tuning? Sac hasn't even started to think about that. They haven't got real numbers, they haven't got a real proposed financing plan, and they haven't gone through any public debate or city council review or vote on anything thorough, detailed, and more importantly, official. So after that, they can start on environmental reviews, which are again, open to litigation.

Our EIS will be done in November. From there it's dotting i's and crossing t's, filling out official paperwork, etc. in regards to the transaction, then if/when a team is acquired we can build the thing.

pinksheets

Reaction score
How does that not make you feel confident?

Don't just let the negative chit chat bring you down, when our government guys who have been working on this for a couple of years, who were in the room with the NBA BOG on the 3rd, who are the types who know about the process of putting together an arena plan and what state one really is in feel that confident and call the Sac plan "vapor"....feel good.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1zqtypsv said:
Throwdown":1zqtypsv said:
Is Blitzer an avid Aaron Bruski reader or something?

I must be lol.

Have to be! He's the only guy who said 2017 for Seattle, when in reality in November after things are signed and if Hansen gets the team, the building starts going up.

Status
Not open for further replies.