NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
pinksheets":1geo2s91 said:
Blitzer88":1geo2s91 said:
After listening to the Stern presser............I came away not feeling that great. I could see us being stabbed in the back by the NBA again.
If David Stern came out wearing a Sonics jersey you'd convince yourself that it's a bad sign because he likely won't want to limit the vintage appeal of his wardrobe selection by bringing back the team.

This was played down the middle, as expected, and from all indications the Sac group is not offering a matching bid, which is game over.

I only say that because I did not like that he said the decision would probably not be made till after the 18th/19th of April. Any extra time helps KJs group. Additionally, listening to 710 today Danny O'Neil and Jim Moore were saying that now this whole thing seems like it is a 50/50 toss up and any type of "tie" in terms of issues goes to Sacramento.

Heck even Kevin Calabro sounded down when he said is was 50/50 at this point and time.

pinksheets

Reaction score
O'Neil and Moore are just guys on the radio and not citing inside sources or anything, and what ties are there?

Every economic indicator is in Seattle's favor, our building's financing is rock solid, our ownership group is considerably stronger, etc. etc.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
pinksheets":1rqdxvj2 said:
O'Neil and Moore are just guys on the radio and not citing inside sources or anything, and what ties are there?

Every economic indicator is in Seattle's favor, our building's financing is rock solid, our ownership group is considerably stronger, etc. etc.

The biggest thing is the location. The PNW has only Portland for a huge area after the Sonics and Grizzlies. That is a good size media market and the revenue is shared by the Owners

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Additionally Brian McCann, SI legal analyst, who has been saying that we have a very good proposal and chance to get the Kings has changed his stance and said that we are now at 50/50 like others have said. Today was supposed to make me feel better and more confident, but it has done the exact opposite. I hate being me sometimes........ :240039:

Michael McCann ‏@McCannSportsLaw 1h
Sounds like NBA owners disagree if Kings should move to Seattle. This is where David Stern- described as a judge among owners- earns his pay.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I also look at it this way, how could the NBA take the team out of Sac-town when they have a viable ownership as well as a viable(enough) arena plan, when the Sonics left we didn't really have either of those things. If Sac-town is able to put their pieces even more together I just see them keeping the Kings even though Chris and Co. already have a purchase agreement. I know I am being a HUGE negative influence, but I just don't want to get my hopes up and than have them stomped on again by the NBA if things go against us again......heck even Throw said he was nervous about today and he has always been Mr. positive. I just wish they approved the sale and such when it was first announced.

Shaz

Reaction score
Sacramento does not have either of those

Their whole presentation and backing is based on What If's, not concrete solid financial, corporate backing like Seattle does

Throwdown

Reaction score
I still don't expect to be screwed, the nba risks losing aa market foor a generation if they leave us empty handed. I don't think they will do that.

dunceface

Reaction score
Blitzer I'm about to block you until this thing is over! Haha

Or you could just block yourself from anything Sonics related until we give you the high sign.

This will be the high sign: :0190l:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
dunceface":1l1ygaxy said:
Blitzer I'm about to block you until this thing is over! Haha

Or you could just block yourself from anything Sonics related until we give you the high sign.

This will be the high sign: :0190l:

Man I tell myself everyday to avoid this thread, Chris Daniels twitter account as well SonicsRising, but I always catch myself going back and looking at stuff. I think I'm gonna be sick.

dunceface

Reaction score
U should try some of those "How I Met Your Mother Super Bowl Blinders"

Monday night football   sensory deprivator 1

JOz56

Reaction score
Throwdown":8nf6zjb4 said:
I still don't expect to be screwed, the nba risks losing aa market foor a generation if they leave us empty handed. I don't think they will do that.

The NBA risks a lot more than losing the market. They risk being stuck with the Maloofs if this falls through. "Yes, take a lesser offer so we can keep a team in a crappier market simply for sentimentality reasons."

The presser by KJ was a freakin joke, and I don't care what Stern says, he is a lawyer and well versed in speaking from both sides of his mouth. They are going to vote "Yes" on this, because no owner wants to be told who to sell to and for how much.

On top of all that, we have better numbers and all that :p

Throwdown

Reaction score
NorCal":2j8ne6ew said:
pinksheets":2j8ne6ew said:
Blitzer88":2j8ne6ew said:
After listening to the Stern presser............I came away not feeling that great. I could see us being stabbed in the back by the NBA again.
If David Stern came out wearing a Sonics jersey you'd convince yourself that it's a bad sign because he likely won't want to limit the vintage appeal of his wardrobe selection by bringing back the team.

This was played down the middle, as expected, and from all indications the Sac group is not offering a matching bid, which is game over.

Question to Stern: "Does Sacramento need to improve their offer?" Stern: "That is not one of the issues." - Question posed to Stern today at his presser

Can they even make an offer with Ranadive being part owner in GS?

drdiags

Reaction score
This is how the original Sonics should have been fought for. But the State didn't want to back Balmer and company's solution and antagonized Stern as well. KJ on the other hand has gone to the well more than once to use his influence to hold off losing the Kings the past few years.

Some time after the NFL draft this will all end. Based on Sacramento saying they can have a new building by 2015 while Seattle is thinking 2017, I am not as positive that this will go down for Seattle. The only question I have is whether the NBA feels they can force the Maloofs to deal with the Sacramento group? Sure seems that way. How belittling it must be to sell your majority ownership in a team, only to have the league listen to another group that has not dealt with you.

I guess even owners don't really own an NBA team.

JOz56

Reaction score
drdiags":89fw57f0 said:
Some time after the NFL draft this will all end. Based on Sacramento saying they can have a new building by 2015 while Seattle is thinking 2017,

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/environme...ior-court-judge-rules-fast-track-law-on-ceqa/

Not so fast... quite literally. Sac's Arena deal may be in further limbo than they let on.

The provision thrown out by Judge Roesch changed the rules for legal challenges to certain developments under the California Environmental Quality Act. Under the law, anyone suing to block a large-scale project that developed renewable energy or met green building standards had to bypass the lower courts and go straight to the courts of appeal. A group called the Planning and Conservation League sued, calling that provision unconstitutional because it limited the public's legal options. In a ruling from the bench last Friday, March 29, Judge Roesch agreed.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Their arena proposal was already months behind ours before the expedited environmental review was ruled unconstitutional.

Oh and our boy Gary is going to the Hall.

Fate, anyone?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Something huge that I think is being overlooked is the Maloofs making a statement during the presentation that they wanted the NBA to approve the sale to Hanson. The BOG is the team owners. Are they going to set the precedent that the league can refuse the possible future sale of their own team? The Sac group is this hostile third party - basically a corporate pirate - trying to hijack a sale between two willing parties. The BOG are all wealthy businessmen. Are they seriously going to deny the sparkly clean Hanson and bring a corporate pirate into their ownership midst? I think this thing about the delay is just BS. It's just to appease the clamor in Sac. Stern screwed up the Sonics sale, he doesn't want another debacle like that. We're getting this team, people (knock wood).

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":13nt2hp1 said:
Something huge that I think is being overlooked is the Maloofs making a statement during the presentation that they wanted the NBA to approve the sale to Hanson. The BOG is the team owners. Are they going to set the precedent that the league can refuse the possible future sale of their own team? The Sac group is this hostile third party - basically a corporate pirate - trying to hijack a sale between two willing parties. The BOG are all wealthy businessmen. Are they seriously going to deny the sparkly clean Hanson and bring a corporate pirate into their ownership midst? I think this thing about the delay is just BS. It's just to appease the clamor in Sac. Stern screwed up the Sonics sale, he doesn't want another debacle like that. We're getting this team, people (knock wood).

Well one word that has consistently been thrown out during this entire process is "unprecedented." Stern said it yesterday, that this was an unprecedented event. And as have many others have said it would be unprecedented for them to deny this sale, but it could also become unprecedented in another way in that they, the BOG, deny our sale and have the Maloofs sell to the Sac group.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3gx63l1p said:
The NBA cannot force the Maloofs to sell to anyone, period!

Supposedly the NBA forced Shinn to sell.

Blitzer88":3gx63l1p said:
Well one word that has consistently been thrown out during this entire process is "unprecedented." Stern said it yesterday, that this was an unprecedented event. And as have many others have said it would be unprecedented for them to deny this sale, but it could also become unprecedented in another way in that they, the BOG, deny our sale and have the Maloofs sell to the Sac group.

I am not sure how to categorize the denial of the sell of the Timberwolves to the New Orleans group awhile back. I see our local media counts that as the BOG turning down the sale, so maybe denying this sale would not be considered "unprecedented". Fuzzy on the entire details of why that was turned down. Will have to go research it.

Status
Not open for further replies.