49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha

pinksheets

Reaction score
I'm not saying he was only the product of that, I'm saying it helped him and inflated his reputation. My point is that the "Revis vs. Aso" debate was ridiculous at the time, he was never that kind of player. He was a pretty dang good corner who was looking like an elite corner, which I don't believe he was, and now he's fallen off a bit.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":2o1ze1yb said:
Actually, it's not fair to criticize SF for this. I would have been happy to have Nnaammddii (sp?) in SEA if there was a significant need at the position. Like, if we were really, really desperate and the only other option was Carlos Rogers. Where did that guy end up, anyway?

You really are Hawk Finn. :) I see what you did there, and thanks for the laughs

heyu123

Reaction score
pinksheets":2ml77wgf said:
I'm not saying he was only the product of that, I'm saying it helped him and inflated his reputation. My point is that the "Revis vs. Aso" debate was ridiculous at the time, he was never that kind of player. He was a pretty dang good corner who was looking like an elite corner, which I don't believe he was, and now he's fallen off a bit.

That's probably a fair assessment. He probably never was as good as most thought coming from Oakland due to what you state, but he's probably not as bad as most think now coming off some rough years in Philly.

I think we'll probably see a player somewhere in between those two extremes.

Babsmack

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1urve2uw said:
757Niner":1urve2uw said:
RolandDeschain":1urve2uw said:
Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.

They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...

There are guys on the .com board doing their best to cry about getting banned on this board. Because as you know, if anyone is glad to hear Pro-Seahawk news from a Seahawks fan, it is the .com board. Where you can't even READ it without being logged in. I actually like some of the guys there, but there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity going on the SF boards these days. The Webzone banned some old dude for talking nice about Russell Wilson, he was an oldschool Niner fan.

As for the signing?...... Championship! Probably as good as or better than Tru. LOL.

Hey lofa. I recognize your username from the Niners forums. Your avi is hilarious

or are you a different dude?

IronSaint

Reaction score
Babsmack":1r68x95t said:
Yeah, I heard there were some pretty snotty Mods back in the day. It's a cool place now. Just gotta watch the raw jokes and language there, 49ers allow us to be the "official" board - with restrictions. If one can behave properly, it's a good time. We have many members that are fans of other teams there cause it's a fun place during the workday - passes the time. Including a few from here, the restrictions make it SFW, lol

anyway, back on topic.....

Not sure I like Nnamdi, seems the TO type. Maybe Harbs can fix em!

I say you're full of it. I've tried twice and your mods are too pretentious to let me come and play and "pass the time", if that's what you youngin's are calling it these days. :les:

Babsmack

Reaction score
IronSaint":1wiaj18n said:
Babsmack":1wiaj18n said:
Yeah, I heard there were some pretty snotty Mods back in the day. It's a cool place now. Just gotta watch the raw jokes and language there, 49ers allow us to be the "official" board - with restrictions. If one can behave properly, it's a good time. We have many members that are fans of other teams there cause it's a fun place during the workday - passes the time. Including a few from here, the restrictions make it SFW, lol

anyway, back on topic.....

Not sure I like Nnamdi, seems the TO type. Maybe Harbs can fix em!

I say you're full of it. I've tried twice and your mods are too pretentious to let me come and play and "pass the time", if that's what you youngin's are calling it these days. :les:

Not sure what the deal is, but took me 3 years of trying to register

4freakin9

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":17u8dkui said:
4freakin9":17u8dkui said:
LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.

Not that I don't believe you over a major advanced stats website that most of the NFL media relies on, (yes, there's some sarcasm there) but can you point out a particular couple of games in 2012 where he was horrible in coverage for me to review on NFL Game Rewind? (I love the fact that you can watch entire games in ~33 minutes on there.)

NE traded for Talib to shore up the position and move McCourty back too safety. You could probably watch any game within 3 weeks before the Talib trade to see it. For me, it was hearing about how bad McCourty sucked at CB constantly before the Talib trade on sports talk in the area. There was a clear upgrade in NE's coverage after Talib took over as the #1 corner. I guess I should believe an major advanced stats website over the NE front office though. Sarcasm aside, McCourty is doing alright as a safety but it was really weird how he looked like a stud as a rookie and then fell off the last couple of years playing CB.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
4freakin9":306c3xtf said:
NE traded for Talib to shore up the position and move McCourty back too safety. You could probably watch any game within 3 weeks before the Talib trade to see it. For me, it was hearing about how bad McCourty sucked at CB constantly before the Talib trade on sports talk in the area. There was a clear upgrade in NE's coverage after Talib took over as the #1 corner. I guess I should believe an major advanced stats website over the NE front office though. Sarcasm aside, McCourty is doing alright as a safety but it was really weird how he looked like a stud as a rookie and then fell off the last couple of years playing CB.

Well, the fact that New England has gone approximately 7,000 years since they last had a good secondary on their defense, I'm not making the assumption that they utilize their personnel correctly, or that they get the right personnel for the schemes they run. Just as a general statement.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I was listining to the guys on the radio this morning, and I have to agree with them, could have been Clayton.

CB's are not a weakness that the 9ers needed to cover, sure, he'll be an upgrade, but not a significant upgrade that will do a lot.

9ers weakness is the front 4 depth, remember them being exhausted when the Hawks played them, well they need more of them.
2) Safety, they just lost their enforcer and that too is what needs tending.

So as a Hawk fan.. yeah, great, but it won't do you (49ers) much good.

Shinigami

Reaction score
There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were not to mention that the loss of Goldson makes his acquisition even more understandable. I don't see how it's a bad signing, and to simply dismiss him is strange, Carlos Rogers was never as highly regarded as Namdi was at one point. They both made huge migrations towards other teams at different ends of the country. One guy surged in Carlos Rodgers where one fell apart if anything it might be a case of the amount of talent around and bad schemes, not to mention the fact that maybe the offense of the 49ers helped their defense through ball control and minimal turn overs; the Eagles had quite a few turn over problems the past two years and that would put more pressure on the defense.

He's probably not starting material anymore, and probably doesn't represent an actual threat like he once did, but you can't simply dismiss a veteran player who's going to a talented team who is seeking to rebound, and has proven he is capable of playing very well. What's expected of him in San Fransisco today is not the same of what the Eagles wanted out of him when he arrived there.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Shinigami":2jnv05ri said:
There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were

I strongly disagree. Nnamdi failed horribly in zone coverage. His skill is being a roadrunner tagging along with a receiver. Safety requires you to make snap decisions about where to go on the field. It's not like being a CB in zone coverage, per se, but it's quite different from playing man coverage on the side most of the time. I think Nnamdi would fail at safety; I don't see any evidence that he would succeed there. If you do, please explain, in detail, how you think he would succeed at safety? (Free safety; he's not a hitter or strong enough to go defend the run half the time.)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Bobblehead":34qg16po said:
I was listining to the guys on the radio this morning, and I have to agree with them, could have been Clayton.

CB's are not a weakness that the 9ers needed to cover, sure, he'll be an upgrade, but not a significant upgrade that will do a lot.

9ers weakness is the front 4 depth, remember them being exhausted when the Hawks played them, well they need more of them.
2) Safety, they just lost their enforcer and that too is what needs tending.

So as a Hawk fan.. yeah, great, but it won't do you (49ers) much good.

I think that SF is going to probably use some of their current secondary players in other spots within it, while drafting some players to fill both spots. They were not "weak" there, but they were giving up some passing yards that the unit didnt give up earlier.

I see NA as assurance that they have "some" level of talent there in the case of a young player not being ready. With all those picks the Niners should be able to find at least a few decent players.

The loss of Goldson was one of impact, but that is more about the physical presence than anything. I would not be surprised to see one of the current players seeing some time in his spot.

Shinigami

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2bo4u29b said:
Shinigami":2bo4u29b said:
There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were

I strongly disagree. Nnamdi failed horribly in zone coverage. His skill is being a roadrunner tagging along with a receiver. Safety requires you to make snap decisions about where to go on the field. It's not like being a CB in zone coverage, per se, but it's quite different from playing man coverage on the side most of the time. I think Nnamdi would fail at safety; I don't see any evidence that he would succeed there. If you do, please explain, in detail, how you think he would succeed at safety? (Free safety; he's not a hitter or strong enough to go defend the run half the time.)

I'm just stating that he's a good player who clearly is no longer a pro bowler, but there's no reason to think that him going to a good team where he wont be the focal point can't be useful. As I stated the 49ers aren't expecting the things that the Eagles were so the benchmark of a quality season for him is a bit different now.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ah. To be honest, I'm actually quite curious to see how he does in man coverage, now. Is his career already dead, or are we about to see a couple-year revival to finish with? I have no clue, though I think the chances are probably more in favor of being finished.

rideaducati

Reaction score
heyu123":2n8uto9q said:
pinksheets":2n8uto9q said:
Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.

I think you're using a lot of revisionist history here. If it was that simple then why aren't there more Nnamdi's out there on teams with bad secondaries? There's a ton of horrible defensive teams and corners, yet there aren't very many at all who were doing what Nnamdi did in Oakland. Teams like Houston and Indy back in the day didn't go into the game saying "Oh well we won't throw to our #1 Andre Johnson today because their other corners are so bad." Nnamdi for the most part was shutting his man down and at one point WAS a top corner.

Now, at this point in his career those days are probably over. But it's disingenuous to pretend like he's really never been that good and was only a product of bad teams.

Just go back and look at the corner that played opposite Nnamdi...they weren't NFL caliber corners so teams went after those guys. Check number of targets against.

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
you guys act like we're leaning on nnamdi to win the game for us or something.. hes just another 1 year contract addition that will provide some depth/wisdom to the younger guys. even if he falls flat on his face, we're still contenders for the division

rjdriver

Reaction score
Nam..
Nnam..
Nami.....
Naid.........
Not going to work here anymore .....